Darling Baphomet's Altar

Darling Baphomet

Platinum #69: Dangerous Driving

1Ld0e95e.png

Nice!

If you've been following this thread, you've seen me complain about this game. Dangerous Driving is... a game. I'd compare it to Xenon Racer, except Xenon Racer was a good game with many issues, this is a game with issues with many good moments. I do appreciate what Three Fields Entertainment has done, and I've followed them ever since Dangerous Golf, which I loved, but this 'one game a year' thing clearly isn't suited for a proper Burnout successor.

It's a polished game, or at least it appears so. Driving is very crisp, drifting initially seems too strong but you quickly get the hang of it. The graphics are great, and could easily pass for a game made by a much larger team. But then you run into the crashes, the persistent wrecks, the 10+ minute long races, the lack of integrated music, needing to grind thousands of miles... it's kind of a mess. I can't say I'd recommend this game, and unless Dangerous Driving 2 severely improves on this (which seems unlikely, given the time frame), I'm unlikely to buy it.

If I hadn't platinumed this game, I may have had fonder memories of it. It definitely has fun parts. Listening to the Dangerous Driving soundtrack while playing those early races were exhilarating, and it did feel like a proper Burnout experience. But clearly, we're not there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #70: The Outer Worlds

1L712b79.png

After over a week of playing nothing but the Outer Worlds, its platinum is finally mine! I did about three playthroughs here - a "blind" good playthrough (though I ended up cleaning up a lot of trophies in it), a quick evil run for the remainder of the trophies, and then a good supernova run. I was initially planning to speedrun the supernova run, but instead ended up making a whole thing out of it - although I cut it short due to a few minor annoyances, like pissing off the board, and a glitch where my game would freeze frequently due to a phobia being triggered repeatedly.

Overall, this is a good game. It's also a game that definitely could have been much longer. It's comparable to a shorter New Vegas with much more densely packed maps. The companions are fun, with decent companion quests, the leveling system is good (although the perks aren't as useful as Fallout's), the combat is... well, about what you'd expect from a Fallout-esque game, and it does offer a few planets to explore, as well as a fair bit of narrative flexibility - the return of skill checks is a welcome addition, and in the Outer Worlds, they're actually extremely overpowered. Supernova is also quite challenging, as your companions initially die almost instantly, but enough points in leadership skills can make them survivable. Traveling to your ship to save (it saves before travel) was a lifesaver.

Platinum #71: Borderlands 2

1L7c9071.png

I've had this game for... 2? 3? years now. Borderlands 1 was one of my favorite games growing up, and across both PC and PS4 I probably have 300-400 hours in Borderlands 2. It's a worthy successor to the first game (although I disliked some of the changes they made, e.g. stores being useless and item rarity making whites and greens worthless), with a much better skill tree and six characters, each pretty fun to play.

I'd been meaning to plat this years ago, but finally got to cleaning it up on my level 57 Axton a few days ago. If all goes well, I may try to platinum BL1, BL2 VR, BL:TPS, and BL3 in the future, although I'm sure grinding in BL2 VR is going to be pretty intense.

Anyway, cheers to another good game on my list!

• 2 weeks later...

Dangerous Driving looks fun. 

I hate having to completely rely on other people in many cases, which is why I never picked up Burnout Paradise. Too many trophies requiring being online with other people. I hate that because it kills my completion percentage, and the remaster has the same trophy list. Ugh. 

Monster Energy Supercross and Gravel also look tempering. I’m just itching for a racing game after what DRIVECLUB did to me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Dangerous Driving looks fun. 

I hate having to completely rely on other people in many cases, which is why I never picked up Burnout Paradise. Too many trophies requiring being online with other people. I hate that because it kills my completion percentage, and the remaster has the same trophy list. Ugh. 

Monster Energy Supercross and Gravel also look tempering. I’m just itching for a racing game after what DRIVECLUB did to me.

Dangerous Driving is a decent game, but a frustrating platinum. It's made by the Burnout devs, so it definitely has its high moments, but you can tell it didn't have quite enough time in the oven. If you can get it on sale, I think it's worth playing. Gravel is a pretty good racing game, too - it's closer to an arcade racer than Driveclub is, and it has a nifty feature where you can rewind time during matches - which honestly makes it a bit too easy. It does have some online trophies, but luckily I was able to just grind them out while someone AFK'd.

You may want to look into Wreckfest - it's on sale for 22$ right now (33$ for the Deluxe Edition) and it's supposed to be pretty great - decent trophy list too, from what I've seen of it. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, though - I'm thinking I'll try to platinum it next month for the plat race I'm entering.

• Like 1

Was saving these two for the tag team event I'm currently in, so here's a double feature!

Platinum #72: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

1L44833d.png

This is Borderlands 2's underselling, Australian cousin. It's a solid game, with some neat gameplay additions - the main characters in particular are very, very well polished - but suffers a lack of content as well, honestly, repetitive low gravity gameplay. It's overall a pretty good game, although it having undersold as much as it did resulted in some of the planned story DLC being cut, leaving us with only Claptastic Voyage, which is, in my opinion, one of the best DLCs in the entire franchise. I'd lined up a bunch of the trophies a few years ago, but never quite got to platting it, so I just had to do a bunch of grinding and finish some challenges. Not too hard!

Platinum #73: Borderlands

1L0425f0.png

Here's one of my favorite games! Borderlands has been a franchise that's stuck with me throughout my life (I actually pre-ordered BL3, which I almost never do), and Borderlands 1 is where it all began. It's a fun game, with occasionally janky shooting and a very dry setting (which I appreciate). It definitely feels like a 2009 game, but it's aged surprisingly well nonetheless. I wish some of its features (e.g. the more unpredictable RNG that could give you guns you'd use for 20 levels) had made it to Borderlands 2. The remaster on PS4 adds a bunch of new features, including a small selection of head customization options and... a golden key chest. Why was this necessary? At least it spits out guaranteed purples, I guess.

Platinum #74: Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality

1L5c0f47.png

Here's my MENSA application!

So, I had this game sitting in my backlog for a while, ever since my VR purchasing spree back in December. It's... a good game? Decent introduction to VR. There's a lot of stuff to try out, and it's funny. The list is fairly straightforward except for two really ridiculous trophies that are extremely difficult, especially due to the poor tracking of PSVR. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have platinumed this game if not for the Summer Tag Team event (we're 3rd right now out of 18 teams!) - it's a fun enough game, but frustrating trophies are even more frustrating when you have to do them in VR. That being said, if you can get this game for 5-10$ and you like Rick & Morty that much... go ahead, I guess?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a wild few weeks! Here's what I've been earning:

Platinum #75: Pox Nora

1L69b6f1.png

So, I'm not even going to pretend I played this for anything except an easy sub 1%. That being said, despite the sluggish interface and the browser game-tier graphics, this is actually a very interesting game. It's a fusion of a card game and a strategy game, with a ton of depth in terms of card selection, although the maps aren't all that complicated - which is probably a good thing, given the game's turn based format. It has tons of cards and some of the graphics for them are pretty cool, even if they're not fully animated sprites. Would definitely check out a sequel if it got modernized.

Platinum #76: Downwell

1Lb2903d.png

Here's a gem. When I first got this on PS+, I didn't really have much interest in it - I booted it up, got a single trophy, then quit. But despite the very simplistic gameplay and graphics, it actually has a ton of depth. It's one of those games that's easy to play (well, sorta) but hard to master, with very responsive controls and chaining oftentimes being essential. It's also hard as shit. Fun game!

Platinum #77: Rocket Arena

1L8d039c.png

This one was a major fucking grind - probably not an ideal platinum for a trophy hunting competition, but eh, too late to worry about that now. I saw a trailer for this game a month or two ago, and thought it looked interesting, but wasn't willing to pay full price for it. Fast forward to last month, and I saw it on sale for 5$ (10$ for the mythic edition, which is what I got) and figured I may as well get it - due to my history with games like Battleborn, Agents of Mayhem, and Fallout 76, all of which got really bad initial receptions, I have a soft spot for underdog games, especially multiplayer ones.

And on the one hand, I can see why it got the scores it did - it definitely doesn't have an incredible amount of content, map or character wise, and yet the small selection adds a sort of joyful simplicity to it. The characters it does have are all pretty polished and fun to play, and the megablast mechanic makes for unique TPS gameplay.

Platinum #78: Titan Souls

1L164e75.png

Mix Shadow of the Colossus and Souls-lite gameplay in a charming indie platformer and you get Titan Souls, a PS+ offering from a few years back! Again, I booted it up very briefly when it first came out, then promptly forgot about it - this trophy hunting event got me to pick it back up. It's a solid game, all things considered - the gameplay is tight and rewards skill (and punishes failure), since both you and the bosses can die in a single hit. The art is cute, and the soundtrack is solid. My only complaint is that it really isn't that long - it can easily be completed in an hour or two if you don't die that often - even under an hour, even with completing all the bosses.

Platinum #79: Space Overlords

1L5ca8ac.png

This game is... weird. Again, a PS+ offering from a few years back. It has the interesting concept of playing as cosmic titans while they stomp around planets, wiping out cities on them, but lacks the polish to truly execute that concept - the controls are a bit floaty, and the graphics aren't exactly amazing. Reminds me of some late 2000s indie games I played. That being said, it's an interesting concept and definitely could have been a great game with more polish.

• Like 2

Platinum #80: The Savior's Gang

1L4f143d.png

This platinum's title is "The son of God", which is the cherry on top of a very blasphemous, satiric indie game currently on sale for 2.50. I'd been using a PSN avatar of the virgin Mary from it for a year, so I figured I'd give it a try. The gameplay is, frankly, mediocre, but the dialogue is funny, as is the "story". It's extremely glitchy and it seems that putting your PS4 in rest mode can fuck up the saves - I lost 4 hours of progress to it TWICE, but all things considered, it was an interesting enough experience that I'm proud to have it on my platinum list.

Platinum #81: Strider

1L3e5181.png

Strider! I originally started this last year, around the time I was doing Adam's Venture: Origins. It's a fun platformer where you're a cyber ninja and you kill robots and also... god? Maybe? It's overall really short - the game can be beaten in ~3-3.5 hours without much effort - so it's not that hard a platinum, but the lack of great collectible guides and fast travel makes cleaning it up a pain. The combat is pretty good and the controls are tight - I've never been into these sorts of games, but I thoroughly enjoyed Strider.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #82: Nexomon: Extinction

1L76a3d8.png

As soon as I saw the trailer for this game, I knew I was buying it. It's been years since I've been able to have a proper Pokemon experience, and this? Well, this is it. It's not *quite* as polished as some of the DS games were, but it has almost 400 Nexomon, a story far superior to that of most Pokemon games, and the battle mechanics are solid. It's like an even more JRPG-y Pokemon, essentially. I bought it a few days after it released, and I've been playing it non-stop ever since.

I'd honestly been hoping to get into the top 10 on the leaderboards on PSNP for this, but unfortunately I'm not a very efficient platinum hunter, because I end up doing a lot of other things (playing other games, just browsing the internet for half the time I'm in game, etc.) But honestly, the grind at the start of the game was a nightmare, and a recent update made it way easier to achieve, so I'm kinda glad I didn't have to deal with that. I ended up at #19, which is pretty good, I think.

Anyway, good game, DEFINITELY worth the 18$ I put into it given that I've put like 60+ hours into it. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Platinum #83: Wreckfest

1L576934.png

sdds Wreckfest is a fun little racing game, somewhere between an arcade racer and a sim racer in terms of controls, with dynamic car damage, pretty good graphics, and a decent soundtrack. It's a racing game all about destruction. I'd wanted to play this game for ages, but wanted to wait for a good sale, so I only finally got this a few months ago when a friend bought it for me on sale. It's a tight game, with car customization and a pretty long campaign - a solid racer, all and all, and dynamic car destruction isn't something you see often. It's a lot of fun, although the later levels start to get really long - and extremely difficult to survive on anything but the lowest damage setting. Nonetheless, it's a good racing game. Not a bad platinum, either, just a bit grindy.

Also... this happened.

EiBPHshUMAAvTYC.png

He's dead, I think? But his car carries on, where he could not.

We were talking about racing games here a little over a month ago.

Can you recommend me some good racing games that aren't that difficult? Wreckfest and Gravel are two I can think of top of my head. WRC 5 I hear is another fairly easy racing game. So is Monster Energy Supercross, which I ended up missing out sadly from the December 2019 PS Plus offerings.

Both Riptide games have horrible rubberhand AI I hear. Crash Team Racing I hear is quite difficult. Trackmania Turbo is just insane, so will probably avoid that one.

I'll have to look into Dangerous Driving a bit because I don't know much about it. Would be so nice if these racing games were cheaper.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Can you recommend me some good racing games that aren't that difficult? Wreckfest and Gravel are two I can think of top of my head. WRC 5 I hear is another fairly easy racing game. So is Monster Energy Supercross, which I ended up missing out sadly from the December 2019 PS Plus offerings.

Both Riptide games have horrible rubberhand AI I hear. Crash Team Racing I hear is quite difficult. Trackmania Turbo is just insane, so will probably avoid that one.

I'll have to look into Dangerous Driving a bit because I don't know much about it. Would be so nice if these racing games were cheaper.

Onrush is a pretty easy platinum, although not a traditional racing game per se, and if you don't mind futuristic racing games, Redout isn't bad either. I feel you on Trackmania Turbo - that's ridiculous. Maybe I'll get it someday, probably not though. The Crew 2 is an open world racing game that is pretty decent, although the trophies require boosting.

Besides that, one game I've had on my "to buy" list for a while is Trailmakers. It's a totally not Lego game where you can make all sorts of machines to race with, and it's a 10% platinum, so it can't be that bad. Very good reviews. But my backlog is too long to justify buying it for 30$. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spaz said:

You can try out Dirt 4, here you can choose between gamer and simulation mode as opposed to Dirt Rally's sim- only approach.

The Need for Speed games are also pretty good and easy, though the traffic can get annoying at times. But you can't go wrong with these if you like arcade racers.

Monster Energy Supercross is great as well, but can get repetitive at times. It's quite short and straightforward in terms of trophies. 

Horizon Chase Turbo is another great option, with a more old school type of gameplay. I believe it was free on plus at some point as well.

Some others that I don't know much about: Onrush, Burnout Paradise Remastered, Cars 3 Driven to Win, WRC and F1 games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrimsonMercury said:

You can try out Dirt 4, here you can choose between gamer and simulation mode as opposed to Dirt Rally's sim- only approach.

The Need for Speed games are also pretty good and easy, though the traffic can get annoying at times. But you can't go wrong with these if you like arcade racers.

Monster Energy Supercross is great as well, but can get repetitive at times. It's quite short and straightforward in terms of trophies. 

Horizon Chase Turbo is another great option, with a more old school type of gameplay. I believe it was free on plus at some point as well.

Some others that I don't know much about: Onrush, Burnout Paradise Remastered, Cars 3 Driven to Win, WRC and F1 games.

I did Horizon Chase Turbo back in April this year, definitely recommend for the old school appeal since it's an on rails racer.

Need for Speed Rivals is probably the most straightforward in the series, two simple online trophies and the rest you can do on your own.

Dirt I will have to look into. Missed my opportunity to get Monster Energy Supercross for free. There is also Monster Energy Supercross 2 & 3 if you were truly determined.

I guess if I was truly looking for a simulation you can't go wrong with Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo Sport is far too time consuming though, so would have to settle with Gran Turismo 6. Even if Gran Turismo 5 was still obtainable, it is insanely difficult.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:06 PM, CrimsonMercury said:

I've been honestly considering trying out the Cars game just because I remember trying one as a kid and it not being awful, but I've heard you need a co-op partner to platinum it which sounds like a pain. Also, kid me wasn't the best objective judge of games' value. Gonna have to try out Dirt 4 now that you've mentioned that it has a gamer mode.

On 9/17/2020 at 0:41 AM, Spaz said:

I did Horizon Chase Turbo back in April this year, definitely recommend for the old school appeal since it's an on rails racer.

Need for Speed Rivals is probably the most straightforward in the series, two simple online trophies and the rest you can do on your own.

Dirt I will have to look into. Missed my opportunity to get Monster Energy Supercross for free. There is also Monster Energy Supercross 2 & 3 if you were truly determined.

I guess if I was truly looking for a simulation you can't go wrong with Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo Sport is far too time consuming though, so would have to settle with Gran Turismo 6. Even if Gran Turismo 5 was still obtainable, it is insanely difficult.

Did you see my reply? I've wanted to try Gran Turismo sometime, but I don't like online only racers. Still, seems like they may be making a new one that may return to the classic formula.

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Did you see my reply? I've wanted to try Gran Turismo sometime, but I don't like online only racers. Still, seems like they may be making a new one that may return to the classic formula.

Sorry. The older Gran Turismo games are possible solo (5 has two online trophies that became unobtainable back in 2014, but is otherwise single player) but they're stuck on the PS3. So yeah, probably not up to that unless you're willing to go PS NOW but that is rather wonky.

The Crew and both Project CARS are online heavy, so will be avoiding those.

Edited by Spaz

• 1 month later...

Platinum #84: MediEvil

1L17aee6.png

Hey, it's been a while! I spent the last month not doing as much gaming as I usually do (and playing Mad Max, which I'm procrastinating platinuming), but I finally got MediEvil done with. When I first saw the remake announced, I was interested, but when it released it turned out to be buggy and weird and it just didn't seem worth the price. I finally tried it after it went on PS Now though, and I'm very glad I did.

The MediEvil remake is a fun game. The designs are diverse and imaginative (better than Spyro's, for instance, I think), the hack and slash gameplay is fluid in a way most games these days aren't (although it's also very old and sometimes you just can't avoid damage), and the game is overall just gorgeous. Even having not played the PS1 game, I loved this - although I will say it has a pathetic amount of framerate drops for a PS4 exclusive.

The platinum was fairly straightforward, with no missable trophies and only a few weird ones, and not much of a problem at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't really done any trophy hunting in a while; Mad Max burnt me out, not sure if I'm going to actually finish that game. I have a few games like that which I got almost to the platinum then just gave up on, another being Shadow of War. A friend got me back into Fortnite, which I've been playing a fair bit of lately - I hated it when it first came out (largely because it was stealing resources from Save The World), but it's not a bad game these days.

Also been trying out Worms Rumble since it's on ps+ - it's actually really good so far, not the most content but it's a solid game and the deathmatch mode is fun. Not sure how I feel about last worm standing so far. Definitely wish they had more Worms staples though, like destructible terrain. Probably going to platinum it in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum #85: Jedi Fallen Order

1L82443e.png

Bought a month of EA Play since I figured this game would be worth five dollars, and... [drumroll] it is. It's not a spectacular game, and if I'd bought it for 30$, I probably would have regret it, but it's a decent game. It does just enough to be a good game, and no more. It has a decent story that lasted me maybe ~15 hours, the combat is solid, and the graphics are pretty. But beyond that, it starts to fall flat. The characters are all pretty flat - though I started to warm up to Greez by the end of my playthrough. The skill tree is also disappointing, but adequate. If it weren't Star Wars, this would be a mediocre game that wouldn't have turned anybody's head. But it is, and as such, it's a pretty good game.

The platinum was fairly straightforward, although slogging through Dathomir after finishing the game was a pain. The chests were easy enough to collect - probably a benefit of the game not having that much content - although I've never needed this many digital ponchos, and I hope I never accrue another in my gaming career.

Anyway, decent game if you're partial to Star Wars, definitely wait until it's 20$ (or go the EA play route, like I did) though, IMO.

• Like 1

Regarding Mad Max, if you got the daily scrap when your console was connected to the internet when you didn’t play.... and you didn’t encounter the scavenging glitch, then you should be good. If you didn’t get the scrap as part of that challenge, you are royally fucked, because you may as well give up on the platinum. 

I will be starting Middle Earth: Shadow of War soon. Definitely haven’t heard as many people praise the game as I did for Shadow of Mordor back when it came out. Even with the lootboxes removed, there is a big grind towards the end that throws a lot of people off. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Regarding Mad Max, if you got the daily scrap when your console was connected to the internet when you didn’t play.... and you didn’t encounter the scavenging glitch, then you should be good. If you didn’t get the scrap as part of that challenge, you are royally fucked, because you may as well give up on the platinum. 

I will be starting Middle Earth: Shadow of War soon. Definitely haven’t heard as many people praise the game as I did for Shadow of Mordor back when it came out. Even with the lootboxes removed, there is a big grind towards the end that throws a lot of people off. 

Yeah, I got all of the scrap, so in theory I can go back and platinum it at any time, but it's the game that burnt me out on trophy hunting for a while so I'm not sure if I will. In theory it's a good game, but there's just so much to do, most of it very repetitive, and the ending kinda sucked as well and soured me on the game. Kinda the opposite problem of Rage 2 - the game's quality is a bit mediocre in comparison, but the map is littered with meaningless tasks.

Shadow of War is a fun game, I've heard some people say that playing it on a harder difficulty is ideal so that you experience the rival system fully. If I do go back to platinum it, I'm going to do a new playthrough. I think my problem is that the endgame just isn't all that exciting - eventually with these sorts of games there's a high chance that I just say, "eh, maybe later", and then never touch it again.

So, I caved and bought... a lot... of games for christmas. Way more than I should have, but that's the way things tend to go. Finally picked up a few titles that have been on my 'need to play eventually' list like Outer Wilds and Nier: Automata, as well as Star Wars Squadrons, which is a fun game so far. I'm going to start trying to catalogue my backlog, or more specifically my current backlog in order of priority - something I've tried before, but had little luck with due to how quickly I tend to shift my attention from game to game.

So, time to organize this mess. This list will be categorized in order of priority. Incomplete as I have games on my backlog that I haven't touched since being purchased in 2018, but I'll add to it as I go.

Current backlog:

Spoiler

Key: games in blue I'm playing on and off, not actively platinuming. Games in red are suspended. Games in black I'm playing with the intention of platinuming. Games in green I finished, but without doing all the trophies.

Currently Playing

Singleplayer

Ikenfell

Doom Eternal

Multiplayer

Worms Rumble

Fortnite

Star Wars Squadrons

Fallout 76

New Arrivals - December 2020

Big Pharma

Void Bastards

Sea of Solitude

The Sexy Brutale

Civilization VI

Sayonara Wild Hearts

The Last of Us Part 2

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Nier: Automata

Cat Quest

Do Not Feed The Monkeys

Underhero

Outer Wilds

Recent Purchases - last 4-5 months

Amplitude

Long Journey Home 

Celeste

Jurassic World Evolution

Nex Machina

Medusa and Her Lover

Frostpunk

Moonlighter

Pixel Ripped 1995

A Fisherman's Tale

Ghost Giant

Fury Unleashed

Felix The Reaper

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Ruiner

Neglected Games - 2020

Rad

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Far Cry 3

Far Cry Primal

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

The Count Lucanor

Odin Sphere Leifthraiser

Batman: The Enemy Within

World War Z

Crash N-Sane Trilogy

Team Sonic Racing

Subnautica

Blood & Truth

Flockers

We Happy Few

The Council

Devil May Cry 5

Call of Cthulhu

The Crew 2

Death Stranding

8 Bit Invaders

8 Bit Armies

Castaways - Before 2020

Ni No Kuni 2 - Revenant Kingdom

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

.Hack G.U. Trilogy

L.A. Noire

Everspace

Metro Exodus

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Days Gone

Mercenary Kings

Slime Rancher

• Like 1

Platinum #86: Ikenfell

1Lc06e57.png

Hoo boy, I was not expecting much from this game. I remember seeing a trailer a few months ago and noting that it had pretty cool music (the musicians of Steven Universe were involved) and that it looked interesting. Then I kinda forgot about it until I saw it on sale a week or so ago and reluctantly picked it up for 20% off.

Anyway, this game is great. It's comparable to Undertale in that they're both retro RPGs with cute characters & a surprisingly intricate plot. It reminds me of Magical Starsign, a grossly underrated JRPG on DS - although its combat is more akin to Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi RPGs. The characters are something you'd expect to see from cartoons like Steven Universe or She-Ra - it's an exceedingly queer game through and through. It has a heartwarming quality only a few specific RPGs have managed to invoke out of me, including the aforementioned Magical Starsign as well as Tales of the Abyss. I'm only a bit ashamed to say I wept like a baby once it finished. The soundtrack is pretty good overall as well, although a few of the songs with vocals fell a bit short of my expectations.

The game also has fantastic accessibility options, incl. content warnings for potentially triggering scenes and an "instant victory" option if the battles are too hard / tedious for you, which they can get, though I enjoyed the combat.

Overall, probably my GOTY for 2020 so far - which is absolutely not what I was expecting out of it. We'll see if The Last of Us 2, the next game I'm going to play, manages to dethrone it.

Current Backlog:

Spoiler

Key: games in blue I'm playing on and off, not actively platinuming. Games in red are suspended. Games in black I'm playing with the intention of platinuming. Games in green I finished, but without doing all the trophies.

Currently Playing

Singleplayer

Doom Eternal

Multiplayer

Worms Rumble

Fortnite

Star Wars Squadrons

Fallout 76

New Arrivals - December 2020

Big Pharma

Void Bastards

Sea of Solitude