Any good?

MMDE

I thought I'd make this thread since the game is going "free" for PS+ in February 2018. To answer the question, short answer, yes and no.

This game should not be confused with Spelunky, which is a totally different game.

This game is not for everyone, and much of this is due to it's game mechanics that goes back to 1983. If you don't like 2D platformers, this game is not for you.

The game is about exploring massive caves, which is divided into 10 different areas. Each area has 10 stages you gotta get through without running out of lives. Each area has it's own theme, and many of it's own unique traps and enemies etc. While the game might feel very simple and limited in it's amount of unique traps and enemies, the way it's all used makes every portion feel unique and you'll always be surprised whenever you find some new strange stuff. But trust me, there's definitely some strange stuff to be discovered, and this is a part of the appeal of the game. Game even has multiple endings, with the most difficult one being to beat the 200th level (DLC level) with all 400 mural pieces (collectibles). Sounds like a lot of collectibles, but it's not something to worry too much about. There's one per level in both solo and group mode.

It's a very basic platformer where you die if you drop down too far. Doesn't sound so bad at first, but you'll quickly learn that we're not talking about more than your full body's height, which is nothing. Also, almost anything else you touch, it'll likely kill you as well. Dying puts you back to the last item you picked up. All you got to defend yourself with is limited as well. Just by standing still or walking around you lose energy, which is only restored by picking up energy capsules. And this energy might sometimes be wasted by you trying to vacuum clean the ghosts that appear every couple of minutes. You can find a flash bang and a bomb, which can be used to blind enemies and scare them away or break hidden walls etc, but that's about it. Often the gameplay is about solving various platforming puzzles, so if you're into that, great!

Yes, the game is difficult, but with some exploits, most people can 100% this game with enough patience and effort. Main game might seem difficult at first, the gameplay might piss you off and want to throw the controller in the wall, but once you get used to it, it's much easier. In fact, the main game is pretty easy. The DLCs on the other hand is a totally different story, but using the exploits makes them very doable. I'll be posting a trophy guide for all the DLC trophies within some few days. It'll be an updated version of my old guide on another page. :) With this game going PS+ the trophies will likely go way rarer than they currently are.

Definitely worth playing if you're into 2D platformers.

EDIT:

And someone reminded me the main game is great for co-op for up to 6 players online and 4 local.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

It looks fun, oldschool and the rarity doesnt really say its a hard game, also its 5/10 difficulty on .org. Heres a video review if anyone wants to check it out. The annoying thing is it has 9 DLCs with trophies -_-

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saionji said:

It looks fun, oldschool and the rarity doesnt really say its a hard game, also its 5/10 difficulty on .org. Heres a video review if anyone wants to check it out.

Undertow's review of the game was pretty bad IMO.

The game mechanics are old-school arcade-ish, the kind that eats your coins, even if it wasn't initially released for arcades. This is platforming before Super Mario Bros.

Main game is somewhat easy once you get used to playing the game, which definitely takes a little getting used to. It's the DLCs that is the difficult part, and why the 100% is below 1%. Anyway, I just published guides for all the DLCs, the same ones I have on org, just updated, which fixes typos and bad sentences etc. Waiting for it to get approved though, but will whip Mango to publish before they got free for PS+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmyPJa4gXhs&list=PL5C3E4B8287889A57

That playlist on the other hand, that's some good stuff. It's all the main game levels. But as I said, main game is easy. Like without exploits, main game is like 4/10, while the DLCs are 10/10, and you start the DLC areas with 50 lives compared to only 5 in the main game. With exploits the DLCs are like 6/10. :) And that dude playing in the videos I linked to has definitely played the game before. It's not his first playthrough despite the trophies popping.

And to anyone who played 3D Dot Game Heroes, you got a quick introduction to Spelunker. 3DDGH got it's own difficulty mode called Spelunker, where you die from one hit, just like in Spelunker. :) The proper way to unlock this mode is meeting the Spelunker in the game, and when you do so and "save" him, his music will start playing and you'll see he runs and jumps a bit too far down (not much) and dies, just like in the game.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

I always hear exploits :D 

Could you describe the exploits and how they work ? :)

Will be in the DLC trophy guide once it's published.

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/2157-spelunker-hd-championship-mode-area-2-dlc-trophy-guide#3-tips-strategies

^ Will work when Mango has approved the guide.

Basically:

Solo you can save & quit. A bit like the PSN SEGA Classic games with save states, but you gotta save & quit to save, and the save won't get deleted when you press continue (so no need to back it up each time, thankfully), if you do bad just quit and continue again. :)

Group you play offline and add additional players. Each new player gives the entire party another 50 lives. When you run out of lives, make sure one of your local co-op "partners" die and then add them back to the game again for another 50 lives for the entire group. This is a bit risky, because if you die, it's game over for you, but it's essentially infinite lives if you are successful. :) I say 50 lives, but that's only the case in the DLC. In the main game it's 5 lives, so don't bother. It should be easy enough without, and you can play it co-op online with someone, which is fun. Some few co op stages requires two or even three players down to a certain position in the area, in which case you must either do this on your own or get some real people down there to help you. I'd go with real people for the main game. No such requirement for the DLC areas though.

Game is very doable if you put in the effort and got the patience for it.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I gotta say, I kind of got the itch for a platformer again.
The Guide on playstationtrophies.org says 15+ Hours, that sounds like very few for so many levels and collectibles.

Looking forward to your guide though and putting the game on my to do list :) 

Edited by NanaCheese94

11 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

I gotta say, I kind of got the itch for a platformer again.
The Guide on playstationtrophies.org says 15+ Hours, that sounds like very few for so many levels and collectibles.

Looking forward to your guide though and putting the game on my to do list :) 

Not really much of a point to read the guide for the main game at org IMO. The guide doesn't really help you with much.

What to do:

Beat every arena in solo and co-op mode, and get all the collectibles in both modes. There's one collectible per stage per mode, so it's easy to not miss any.

After that you got some easy misc trophies you can figure out on your own.

Once you get the hang of the game, you'll do each area in around 45 mins. There's 10 areas and you gotta do them twice. So, that's 15 hours. Pretty spot on, but I'd say it'll likely take you closer to 20 hours, could even be up at 25 hours, but if you've gotten used to the gameplay, 15 hours sounds reasonable.

The DLCs on the other hand will take much longer even if it's the same amount of content. Doesn't need to take much longer, but unless you're highly skilled at the game, it will likely take you twice as long IMO. In my trophy guide I set the average per DLC (area to be done twice) is 5 hours. 9 DLCs. Might be you can do it faster, but may also take longer. Anyway, my guide contains tips on the hardest sections of the DLCs and the easily missable or tricky to find or get to collectibles.

Maybe I can post a main game trophy guide too, but I haven't played the game in a while. :\

Edited by MMDE

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

The DLCs on the other hand will take much longer even if it's the same amount of content. Doesn't need to take much longer, but unless you're highly skilled at the game, it will likely take you twice as long IMO. In my trophy guide I set the average per DLC (area to be done twice) is 5 hours. 9 DLCs. Might be you can do it faster, but may also take longer. Anyway, my guide contains tips on the hardest sections of the DLCs and the easily missable or tricky to find or get to collectibles.

You really make the DLCs sound like hell xD I wonder why they are so much harder than the rest of the game. I'll have a look at a playthrough video

9 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

You really make the DLCs sound like hell xD I wonder why they are so much harder than the rest of the game. I'll have a look at a playthrough video

While they are much harder in general, they're usually doable just fine up until like stage 7-10 of the area. You need to beat an entire area (10 stages/levels) in one playthrough (without running out of lives). When you get to stage 7-10 they ramp it up with some few way harder sections. :P There you will be wasting all your remaining lives, and if you get past it, there'll be more and you'll have far less lives left and if you run out of lives, you gotta start from stage 1 all over. But with the exploits it's much easier.

I found one youtuber who has uploaded videos of some of the EX stages. Saw it earlier while searching for it, and I think they read my guide. I know one of the people he played with and he was really good at the game, played it a lot, and he too struggled when we tried to do it without exploits co-op. Anyway, I think they two did most of it legit. Not sure so many others in the world have done that. :P

Anyway, watching videos of it is kind of spoiler territory for me. :( Some of the fun is discovering what is in the next levels.

His playlist, and it starts with an annoying area in EX2. :)  Should note, EX2 is usually considered to be among the easier EX areas. EX2 has mainly two difficult sections, that's the first one, but the latter one I found to be more difficult.

Edited by MMDE

I just wanted to have a quick look. It does like a fun game to play from time to time, I don't like the time limit due to the energy loss very much though... But other then that it looks like with enough patience and training I could get through it eventually. The music is pretty catchy too

2 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

I just wanted to have a quick look. It does like a fun game to play from time to time, I don't like the time limit due to the energy loss very much though... But other then that it looks like with enough patience and training I could get through it eventually. The music is pretty catchy too

They commented on the video:

"They get easier after you've done it like 90 times."

And that was just that simple looking shit. ;) 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HardXDXtraga said:

I may not be recalling this correctly, but if I am, I think I spent about 500 lives doing the last DLC, MMDE isn't kidding when he says it's much harder than the main game, if you couldn't have infinite lives it would be about as hard as the SMB plat 1f631.png

Yeah, last DLC is among the two hardest IMO. Some of the levels in EX area 10 is easy, but there's a lot of hard levels in that one. EX area 6 is another difficult one.

6 minutes ago, mekktor said:

This game looks atrocious. Is it actually fun to play?

Is it fun? Yes, but you gotta be into the genre. Early 2D platformer, with some exploration and platforming puzzles. :) Coin eating arcade difficulty. ;) If this doesn't sound appealing to you, it's probably not for you.

Personally, I enjoyed playing the game. It's a bit like N++, they find ways to take the simple platforming elements and doing so much with it. And the game will introduce you with new stuff all the time, and some of it will likely surprise you a bit, so the "spelunker" experience of discovery etc, it's definitely there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dimavankula said:

Well that one of the best coop game for two, three players imho. Got 100% a few years ago and this game is awesome:) Here is my stats screen from eu/us region IMG_0374.jpg 

Yeah, it's a great co-op game. Main game is great for that, and I totally recommend doing it legit with someone online. It's online co-op for up to 6 people IIRC, or local co-op for up to 4. The DLCs can be a bit too brutal for most to do without exploits though.

Edited by MMDE

2 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Yeah, it's a great co-op game. Main game is great for that, and I totally recommend doing it legit with someone online. It's online co-op for up to 6 people IIRC, or local co-op for up to 4. The DLCs can be a bit too brutal for most to do legit though.

Omg, just remember this stupid birds on 4 or 3 dlc levels that was really hard but one touch ghost kill in coop so helpful:) So many positive feelings about this game anyway.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this game. I too was intimidated/turned away by this game's history and gameplay, but it wasn't until I really started to get better that I saw how expertly designed this game ended up being while remaining true to its legacy. As I said in another post, it managed to combine all the frustrations of the original crappy NES port, but still make it accessible and even possible to complete without going completely insane. The entire game felt really controlled; there are many moments that seem cheap from the outset, but always has a way for thinking players to get around. Its is, in many ways, the perfect Spelunker game.

That is, in regards to the core game; the DLC?.... Yeah, that falls on the luck/trial-n-error side of things, so I have no desire to go and 100% THOSE.

• Like 2

My trophy guides for the DLCs are being pushed out, first 4 out already. Was thinking I should do one for the main game too. If anyone feel like contributing, I'll happily add you to the list of people who can edit the guide! :) 

27 minutes ago, closertim said:

This game is kinda fun but so frustrating.  If it wasn't for the exploits I'd probably still be trying to finish it.  

DLCs for sure, but the main game is nowhere near that frustrating. Once you get the hang of the game, main game is pretty easy tbh. When I played this I could do entire main game without using save and quit etc, and still have like 10 times the amount of lives I started the game with.