Trials of Archimedes Hard tips

lordfenton

i had no trouble with this part at all, i just used fire magic, the oath stone of orkos, the amulet (the bubble thing), and rolled around alot.  i also had everything maxed out

Edited by shawnbenham
  • Like 1

I can't say I had trouble either, if you know how to use your weapons and be pacient this can be easy.

Phase 1(only hard part really):

I had everything maxed out by this time but I only used Zeus's magic and the oath stone of orkos.

First part, only gorgons, use 1 magic bar per gorgon since every gorgon refills 1 magic bar, dodge and land a hit whenever you can

When the sirens appeared I used ALL 4 magic bars to get rid of them as fast as possible, still had to damage them a bit after all the magic though, and I had like 1/4 of my life by the end of this phase.

Phase 2:

Send birds off the platform and they'll die instantly, I only blocked and user the oath stone whenever I could, once the thunder guy appears just use the oath stone, he'll stay electrified after a few hits, when he does just get away from him, repeat 3 times and you have survived this phase.

Phase 3:

Block, block, block, you can only get hit when the wraiths are on the ground, pull them up and attack when you can, this is easy, just stay calm and you'll see that the only hard part is the 1st (and only because of the syrens really...)

• Like 1

This part was such a pain in the ass.  I considered myself very proficient in GOW having platinumed all 5 previous games (actually they were my first 5 platiinums ever) so I started this game on hard.  The game itself wasn't that difficult, but I spent more time playing this part than I spent playing the rest of the game.  It took me 12 hours to beat, but when I finally did it I was as elated as I have ever been in recent gaming.  My tip is to just keep at it even if it feels like it is taking forever, because it is worth the effort when you finally  

do it.  Especially if you do it on hard before the patch come out.

That patch is a joke, if you can't beat something like this trial you should really think of how much of a gamer you are.

Is it hard? yes, yes it is (but you are playing on HARD mode, you can't expect it to be easy now can you?)

Is it impossible? not at all, if you can't do it try harder or try another strategy or take some time off and come back later.

Almost 2.500 players have won the Legendary warrior trophy, and I have a hard time believing that all those players were between the best in the world.

Games nowadays are so easy that when a real challenge appears everyone freaks out and calls it impossible.

I meant no offense to anyone by writing this, it is only my opinion. :)

• Like 3

Games nowadays are so easy that when a real challenge appears everyone freaks out and calls it impossible.

I meant no offense to anyone by writing this, it is only my opinion

You're right. I've said it before and i'll say it again, gamers today are whiny b******

I was going to go on a small rant but for the sake of everyone else, i wont.

Just beat this on hard and got my plat :D I used a combination of the Ares and Hades blades to get me through on my 3rd attempt. 1st phase I spammed the bubble and clone items while dodging,it took a while but I saved all my magic for round 2. As soon as round 2 began I bubbled the amazon and summoned the clone, then I went to town with Hades magic. This ended the round pretty quickly (same method was used on the electric Talos). I barely survived round 3 because every time i would dodge i would hit the spikes, when i only had a sliver of health left i held down block and let loose my clone when i had the chance. I was so happy when I finally got it :D

The Trial of Archimedes on hard is very overrated. It isn't that difficult, you just have to have some strategy instead of just going beserk and attacking like a madman. I got through it on my second try just using Blades of Chaos, Fire of Ares, Soul of Hades, Amulet of Uroborus, and Oath Stone of Orkos. I personally think that the Fire of Ares and Soul of Hades yield the best magic and rage attacks. Block is your best friend, and always try to execute enemies utilizing the red bar over their head, as you will usually get health or magic back, which can be the difference between winning and losing.

• Like 1

Well it's out and those who did it before the patch congrats and those who did it after and whined well you really haven't seen hard. I have as in Bionic Commando NES hard. Here's the link:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/03/25/god-of-war-ascension-patch-1-03-is-out-tones-down-the-trial-of-archimedes/

Still this day in and age difficulty people whine about instead of actual storyline and gameplay *cough COD should be complained about*. Keep the tips going for people who needs help on em.

I platinumed the game last  night, and now I wish I hadn't downloaded the patch. The Trial was a cakewalk that I beat after one attempt, and barely lost any health for the entire fight. 

I never had the opportunity to play that part pre-patch, so I don't know how much more difficult it actually was. 

Edited by MatCauthon

Eh, that would require me to start a new game. And I don't think I could stomach another run through this entry into the GoW franchise. 

Yeah, I was very disappointed with this one. The story was okay, but mostly the gameplay changes left me feeling unsettled. So much so that I left the game for about two weeks after I first started playing... and now my timestamps will lead folks to believe I needed the patch to get through the game :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I beat this over the weekend. I don't care what everyone says, this was hard. And sucked. Things I didn't like -

• Small space to move in
  • Medusa tail swipe takes out half the platform. Two Medusas at a time. Do the math.
  • You can try building your rage meter but if the Medusas wrap you up, you take damage and lose your complete rage meter down to zero!! (This sucked pretty badly)
  • Sirens are particularly cheesy, with their different lightning attacks. I beat them by going to a corner and doing the Hades special to knock them off of the platform. Hey, if they can cheese I can cheese back!
  • The different powers are supposed to make different orbs appear. Hades blades are supposed to make health orbs. Not in this section! And no health boxes in sight throughout this either.
  • 1st part is definitely the hardest, but as was mentioned use the "wonder twin" and amulet to even things out. Use your environment too. On the third part I pushed the mobs into the wall spikes for easy kills, either with magic or amulet/attack.

Took me a bit less than two hours of frustration for me on hard(and the rest of the game from here was like 20 min, VERY easy final boss fight, even on hard). It would be easy for me to lie like other people on this thread and say "yeah, I beat it my first try with a screaming baby in one hand, eating a messy taco in the other and using my feet to manipulate the controller", but I prefer honesty over bravado. BTW, nice way to fluff gameplay-time, developers!

Not happy with this game, they changed everything I liked and made it worse (except the buttonless minigames, I liked those) Kratos was boring and silent for the most part, plot was tedious and I cared less how it ended; very anti-climactic. I really thought it would have at least ended on the precipice with Kratos about to jump, as the begining of God of War started, but the programmers couldn't even get that right.:P

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Trial of Archimedes handed it to me on normal but it gave me practice too. I had to go back and replay the stage because I forgot to get a possession and breezed through it on my second attempt. Then when I played it on hard I beat it on my first try with 50% health and 75% magic at the end. The mistake people make is starting the game on hard trying to get every trophy as quickly as possible and when you get to the Trial the spike in difficulty catches a lot of people off guard I think. My advice would be to start on normal and get a feel for things, the game isn't that long anyway and without a proper challenge mode the game is a very attainable platinum. As for the game itself, not a bad game but the worst in the series. The developers blew a real chance at a great game. I was hoping Ascension would follow the adventures of Kratos as he rose in power (Ascension right?) as a general and ended with his death on the battlefield praying to Ares in an epic cut scene that would have set up the whole series. Oh well.

• 7 months later...

I used to play way b4 PSN got to brasil, so after a while i made a new account to be able to buy stuff.

The crappy part was that i had to give up all my saves (that did help me get rid of some unwanted trophies however, i won't complain about that part), so here i am recovering the 100% i had (not gonna talk about the online part T_T).

The Good part is that i can get everything in one run, and right now the only 2 missables trophies left are the artifacts one (got 9/10, already know where the last one is) and the 100 amulet uses one (this might be troublesome but whatever).

Yeah, i'm stuck on this trial, it's stupid, it's pointless, it's giving me a hard time, but honestly... about time something made me feel like that again, recently the only things i've been facing were cheap deaths (Sonic Unleashed, those who played that game know what i'm talking about) and neverending grinding (Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM e_e)...

Only wish i could see what it was like b4 the patch, that thing got released before i got the game (not gonna drop my save now e_e), i'm sure it was hell, but it's that kinda thing that makes games worth it in my oppinion.

• 5 months later...

The Trial being hard definitely made it feel like a true God of War game, it was a real challenge. At least it wasn't cheap like Sonic Generations. I never played Unleashed but I can imagine. Ugh, don't even get me started on how cheap Sonic Generations was.

Kinda sad i beat the trials after patch, i tried to play without updating the game, but the game didn't let me play until i install the patch, and i remember that i was offline, so idk what internally happened on my ps3 to just be programmed (even offline) to always require to install the patch, interrupting the game continuously, so i had to log in and install it.

Anyway, i found the trial somewhat hard, then i saw a youtube video and it was really interesting to find that this challenge is very doable (even pre-patch) with the deflect thing with the gorgons to build meter quickly, saving that magic for the next stages helpsss a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...