How Would You Define A Legit Gamer?

SlaveBeastTaka

Hello Boys And Girls, To Be More Specific. Im Talking About Getting Trophies/Achievements On Steam/PlayStation/Xbox. Im Not Really A Hacker Or Cheater. I Have This Mindset Of Being Semi Legit. Like For A Example. If I Play Diablo 3 On PlayStation. And, Im In A Modded Game With People. A Trophy Pops Up. That Dosnt Really Bother Me. Because Video Games Are Meant to Have Fun, Right? But, When It Comes To Platinum's. That's A Big Hell No Lol. I Cant See Myself Hacking A Platinum. So Yeah. I Do My Best To Get Trophies/Platinums Legit, And Have Fun Doing It. What Are Your Guys Intake On This?

When it comes to trophy hunting, if you get a single trophy without actually earning it, then the entire list is illegitimate. You didn't earn it, so you didn't earn the plat. Pretty plain and simple. You can not care and have fun, but don't pretend like you actually got the plat or deserve it.

As for games in general, I don't think there's a single definition of what a "legit/real" gamer really is anymore. I think it's now separated into many different types.

You have your casual gamer who plays fairly regularly, but primarily phone games because they have nothing better to do and it's something to distract them.

You have a little step up from that and have what I call the pop gamer. These are the people who play casual games, and/or only specific genres. Like people who really only play stuff like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Madden. They only play the most popular games, and they usually don't even beat them. They just play them because everyone else is, and it's something they can do with friends.

There's also what I like to call the eSports gamer. These types only play one or two games, and they're eSports type games. Stuff like League of Legends or Overwatch.

Then there's what I just call average gamers. They'll play a few different genres, and play fairly frequently, but don't branch out too terribly much. For them it's just something to do when they have nothing else to do.

Then there's what I like to call the hardcore gamer. These people are those that play a large variety of games. People that will play pretty much anything as long as it's fun, but they play games to play them. They don't care about trophies/achievements.

Then there's trophy/achievement hunters, not to be confused with trophy whores, which is next. These are what a lot of people here are. They play games for trophies, but only in games they enjoy. They collect plats, but will also not get a plat if they don't like the game. 

Of course there's also trophy/achievements whores. Most of the time, these types get lumped in with trophy hunters, although they're fairly different. Trophy whores play games for trophies. They play to get as many as possible without real regard for whether or not it's a good or enjoyable game. Their enjoyment comes from collecting plats/100%, not an enjoyable game.

Lastly is what I like to call rarity whores. This is another sort of sub-section of trophy hunters. These types care more about how rare a plat/100% is, instead of if it's an enjoyable game. Much like trophy whores, they will force themselves to play a game they don't like to get the plat/100%.

I don't mean any of these to be derogatory, they're just how I define sub-sections of gamers. As long as you're enjoying yourself, there's nothing wrong with being any type of gamer.

• Like 4

Someone who plays the game for the fun of it, and earns trophies as they come.  If they use a guide or vid, no problem.  Get ideas/answers from the forums? Fine.  Boost each other in a gaming session, no problem.

Buying trophies?  NO.   Changing time stamps.  NO.  Using save files from someone else?  NO.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Someone who plays the game for the fun of it, and earns trophies as they come.  If they use a guide or vid, no problem.  Get ideas/answers from the forums? Fine.  Boost each other in a gaming session, no problem.

Buying trophies?  NO.   Changing time stamps.  NO.  Using save files from someone else?  NO.

(Using save files from someone else?  NO.)

What If I just use someone file for fun. I like using 100% file on YuGiOh Millennium Duels. All 6000 cards. Plus, there's no trophy for collecting all cards. 

I have no problem with people using save files or modding the game or messing with cfw. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with it. I've used mods in the past to have loads of fun with games. However, just don't expect the profile with any fiddled with trophies to be allowed on a trophy leaderboard, especially not on this site with the Hitler's youth gang on the prowl. 

Edited by Phil

32 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Agreed with all of the above. I have no issues with using guides, glitches, or multiplayer boosting.

However, there are a few things that make me roll my eyes as a casual trophy hunter.

First, I think that team accounts are super lame. I also think using shareplay for trophies are for wimps who have no skill or patience to earn it themselves. Both are technically "legit" in the eyes of PSNP,  but I can't help but to take these accounts with a grain of salt when looking at their trophies.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Agreed with all of the above. I have no issues with using guides, glitches, or multiplayer boosting.

However, there are a few things that make me roll my eyes as a casual trophy hunter.

First, I think that team accounts are super lame. I also think using shareplay for trophies are for wimps who have no skill or patience to earn it themselves. Both are technically "legit" in the eyes of PSNP,  but I can't help but to take these accounts with a grain of salt when looking at their trophies.

So true.  Kinda defeats the whole game-playing experience.  

• Like 1

Anyone can be a legit gamer as long as they play fair and square without using underhanded/ "Illegal" means.

However, my idea of "gamer" first of all is someone who plays actual games like on consoles be it home or handheld. I exclude those who just do candy crush or temple run on their phone waiting for the bus, as if that were the case all the mums and grandparents may as well be called gamers, and I can't group them in the same bunch as us trophy hunters or even those who just play PS/Xbox etc. for fun and not trophies/ achievements. Mobile phone apps don't really count for me as gamer unless it's a mobile version of a proper game (e.g. FF, TWEWY etc.)

The following actions are a few that I think make a gamer illegitimate and probably sucks as gaming/ is lazy and lacks skill. 

• Hacking, stealing other peoples accounts
  • Modding
  • Paying for trophies/ buying trophies
  • Getting someone else to earn your trophies and then claim you got the platinum yourself without giving them credit.
  • Buying or obtaining other peoples saves (I know this was more of a think in the PS3 and below generation.
  • Changing time stamps

However, I think boosting, using guides/ walkthroughs, making advantage of glitches, tying rubber bands or whatever to grind are ok and legit as they are not "illegal" (I can't think of another word to put it)

I honestly don't see Trophies as having anything to do with being a "Legit" gamer, doing so immediately condemns those with non trophy consoles only.

I gotta edit because I sound like a bit of a dick here, I enjoy trophies and the people I meet and have met. You know you'd %100 a ps2 day back in the day and that's legit. Faking trophies is a waste of everyones time imo but how do you play GTA 3 again on ps4 when you love the cheats? I kind of think that's legit since I've finished it on ps2 so many times.

Edited by Z1MZUM

A legit gamer can be hard due tracking sites like this.

Multiplayer

To start of and get multiplayer out of the way just play fair and square. Using wallhacks/aimbots whatever of that kind of shit you can piss off dig yourself a hole and jump in. I hate cheaters so bad

you ruin it for other people. (UNLESS; You are playing with friends only in a LAN environment in private servers and just want to screw around a bit. No harm to anyone. I did it myself just for the fun but those are real life friends sitting in front of me having a drink and just lolling around.

Single player:

Single player depends heavily in my opinion.

If you play for platinums/trophies/XBox gamescore and being on a leaderboard like this just don't cheat. You're an asshole and don't belong here. Even having 1 post here asking for help or introducing yourself while you cheated you are in my black book unless it glitched or somehow those things happen unfortunately

However if you do enjoy modding/cheating or whatever flying and glitching in games and you enjoy that just have fun with that. The problem for consoles and leaderboards is you are being synced with that cheated profile.

• 6 years later...

First of all a gamer is someone who plays games ... Video games, board games, card games. It doenst matter if u play 20 minutes in a week or 5 hours a day. 

If your mum plays farmville or candy crush she is a gamer, If your brother plays yu-gi-oh some times he is a gamer, If your best friend likes football and owns a PS4 and he buys fifa every year just to play it for 20 hours he is a gamer. 

The umbrella term is gamer, but there are many subcategories. There u have the hardcore gamer, the online gamer, the rage gamer, the single player gamer, the addicted gamer, the casual gamer and so on. 

It's the same here as everywhere else. The famous "shovel thinking" or comparing yourself to others is older than humanity.

Someone with 2000 paltinum trophies may not like to be compared with someone who only has 3. Both are gamers. The people who do something more excessively than others may see themselves as "the better ones" or "the real gamer" and this set the benchmark for themselves.

The same goes for someone who plays something with cheats. They may like to be superior to others. For me, that is a personality trait and not a gamer or non-gamer question. 

On 2/5/2018 at 5:43 PM, SlaveBeastTaka said:

Hello Boys And Girls, To Be More Specific. Im Talking About Getting Trophies/Achievements On Steam/PlayStation/Xbox. Im Not Really A Hacker Or Cheater. I Have This Mindset Of Being Semi Legit. Like For A Example. If I Play Diablo 3 On PlayStation. And, Im In A Modded Game With People. A Trophy Pops Up. That Dosnt Really Bother Me. Because Video Games Are Meant to Have Fun, Right? But, When It Comes To Platinum's. That's A Big Hell No Lol. I Cant See Myself Hacking A Platinum. So Yeah. I Do My Best To Get Trophies/Platinums Legit, And Have Fun Doing It. What Are Your Guys Intake On This?

Legit gamer:

-no hacking

-no cheating (chronusmax)

-no modding or modded ("Custom") controller (because these can offer huge unfair advantages over vanilla controllers,

-not getting carried and then bragging with that achievement

-no abusing people for trophies