Which weapon is best for me?

Alantor32

2 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Hey, I want to know which weapon is best for me on MHW? I am currently on HR 5 and I want to know some suggestions from players who can tell me what the best weapon for difficult hunts are.

Best weapon is the weapon you like the most. I know its stupid answer but there is no "best weapon" . Every weapon type has pro and cons .  I play with longsword , its great for solo hunts , fast high dmg. You cant block but dodging is the key. There is a parry but i rarly use it. Try every typ and choose which weapon suites you.

• Like 1

I personally am playing with a Bow (didn't got very far, and actually didn't tried the other weapons, since I actually like this kind of weapon in most games because of it's versatility, and because I don't like to have to get to close to my opponents..) it's somewhat low damage, but I'm not really exploring it's capacities to the fullest (only learned where I could buy coatings when I was quitting the game the last time, and still not sure how coatings work, 1 use of coating is 1 arrow or several arrows with that property?). Also, bows have no block, but dodge is all that's needed..

My main concern is armors, because I don't know if I should or not lvl up my armors (for weapons the materials are refunded if you downgrade a weapon, but for armors, I think they aren't refunded, so I'm kind of afraid to waste materials or to lvl up the armors in a not optimal way..).

Still for weapons, there's a short vid/description that shows how it's basically used + has a beginner friendly rating in it (if that matters for anything..)

I think like Xionx too. The most important part is how you like to play. For example, I like to react fast. I really hate slow weapons. So I tried some fast weapons (like dual blades) and quite early chose bow as my favorite weapon. Others told me that I should switch because it's weak and does not break parts. Well, I don't feel like this is true, because I cut tails and break parts quite often and can kill monsters in reasonable time. Maybe everything is faster with other weapons, but since I feel good with it and make progress, why shouldn't I use my chosen weapon?

Just try out with which weapons you feel good, there is no wrong weapon. Maybe you already have one, since you are rank 5 already?

7 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

*snip

1 minute ago, Hokupe said:

*snip

Bow Brethren! I also use Bow, and yeah it isn't the fastest weapon or the strongest, but I'm better at evading and waiting for a good shot then defending. I'm also a patient player, and the time doesn't really bother me. The one regret I have is that I should've made my character more elven.

43 minutes ago, Xionx said:

Best weapon is the weapon you like the most. I know its stupid answer but there is no "best weapon" . Every weapon type has pro and cons .  I play with longsword , its great for solo hunts , fast high dmg. You cant block but dodging is the key. There is a parry but i rarly use it. Try every typ and choose which weapon suites you.

I tried out the longsword (Katana) during the first hours of gameplay but felt like it was a bit underpowered, with hits only dealing between 10 and 25 damage. Especially after I started playing the greatsword, which dealt so much more damage (usually around 40-50, often times also 100-150 if I hit a combo correctly). Did I just use the Katana wrong or is there really such a huge gap in damage?

My fav weapons is the charge blade. It*s a pretty versatile weapon in my opinion. In the first few installments of this game i mostly played the greatsword. Charge blade is a wonderful merge of the greatsword and sword and shield. 

But like others already said, just choose the weapons you fell comfortable with or which weapopn style you liek visually the most. Every Weapon can be good if the user know how to play it. And knowing how to play a weapon can only be achieved by many hours playing it. That's at least my opinion ^^ 

23 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

My main concern is armors, because I don't know if I should or not lvl up my armors (for weapons the materials are refunded if you downgrade a weapon, but for armors, I think they aren't refunded, so I'm kind of afraid to waste materials or to lvl up the armors in a not optimal way..).

Don't lvl the normal ones. Wait for the high rank monsters and their armors. I recommend finding a good rmor set for each element, build it and lvl it up. 

1 minute ago, Suparichie123 said:

I tried out the longsword (Katana) during the first hours of gameplay but felt like it was a bit underpowered, with hits only dealing between 10 and 25 damage. Especially after I started playing the greatsword, which dealt so much more damage (usually around 40-50, often times also 100-150 if I hit a combo correctly). Did I just use the Katana wrong or is there really such a huge gap in damage?

the more damage thing is more of an illusion. sure the greatsword deals a lot damage in one charged hit, but at the same time, the longsword for example is way faster. SOme weapons deal a little bit more damage, that*'s correct, but it's not a big number if you compare it with the slashes in a given time. At least if you can get all slashes to hit, it is xD 

One problem with the katana, you will stagger your teammates a lot with some attacks. You have to learn to use the best attacks in a specific time. And for the damage of the longsword, it has the ability to kinda charge the blade  during attacks which also increase the strength. 

Yeah, the best weapon is simply the one you're most comfortable with. Experiment a bit and you'll see what suits you the most.

If you really need to know the "best" weapon, from what I read online, many agree that the Charge Blade is the one with the highest damage potential, but that's only assuming you can use it perfectly (I'm terrible with it, for example). Under normal conditions, all weapons are good enough and what's most important is how you use them.

Personally, I main a Switch Axe: versatile, great for breaking parts (axe form has reach, sword form can't be deflected), good damage and it just looks cool. I also like longswords and hammers, and I plan to learn the Gunlance when I'll start getting bored with the game. But again, all weapons are good.

Another good part of the Charge blade are the Guardpoints if you can master the timing. In my opinion the insect glaive and the charge blade are the most complex weapons strategy and playstyle wise.

Another great weapon is the hammer. Such a charged hit against a monsters head is brilliant for smashing it and confusing it

12 minutes ago, cybershark91 said:

Don't lvl the normal ones. Wait for the high rank monsters and their armors. I recommend finding a good rmor set for each element, build it and lvl it up. 

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'm still hr3, so I don't have access to much things (I had plan to get to hr4-6 to be able to try the limited quests, but got sidetracked..). Actually because I'm so close to the start, is why I still don't understand a lot about the game, and some features that I read, but didn't saw anywhere yet..

Use whatever weapon you used to get to HR5 and keep honing your skills with it. I've been using the Switchaxe since 3U so I'm really comfortable using that, but some people might struggle using it. Likewise, I struggle using the Charge Blade (might try to learn it one day). 

But yeah, just find the weapon you love and keep practicing with it. 

2 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'm still hr3, so I don't have access to much things (I had plan to get to hr4-6 to be able to try the limited quests, but got sidetracked..). Actually because I'm so close to the start, is why I still don't understand a lot about the game, and some features that I read, but didn't saw anywhere yet..

When you're low leveled, it's okay to mix and match. You don't need to buy the full armor set. You'll get the hang of it when you progress further as you hunt different monsters.

4 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

When you're low leveled, it's okay to mix and match. You don't need to buy the full armor set. You'll get the hang of it when you progress further as you hunt different monsters.

Ok, I actually mixed a bit, because the early monster armors all had different weaknesses and I didn't knew how to manage them (I'm still oblivious of how the elements and a lot of other things work, but I will take my time, since I started this without really thinking of the need to plat it, for now I just want to learn and enjoy it at my pace).

48 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

still not sure how coatings work, 1 use of coating is 1 arrow or several arrows with that property?

1 coating is 1 shot. Doesn't matter whether a normal one or a charged or a triangle/circle supercharge (don't know what it's called ^^").

armors: there is no wrong upgrade method since all the armor cores just give different sums of points. If you have money and cores to spare, max the armor(s) you use most. Try not to max everything at the beginning because you will need money and cores later for high rank upgrades (need way more points).

2 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, I actually mixed a bit, because the early monster armors all had different weaknesses and I didn't knew how to manage them (I'm still oblivious of how the elements and a lot of other things work, but I will take my time, since I started this without really thinking of the need to plat it, for now I just want to learn and enjoy it at my pace).

Absolute majority of all "elemental" monsters have fire attacks, so I would recommend you to use Bone, Anja, Odobragon armors and such. At least until you will get a set for each element.

8 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Take your time. It always take some time to get used to the style of mh if you haven't played a installment of it before.

It's totally fine to mix up the armor sets. Later, when you finished the "story" and reached the high rank quests you will have one armor for each element and for different purposes. 

22 minutes ago, Hokupe said:

1 coating is 1 shot. Doesn't matter whether a normal one or a charged or a triangle/circle supercharge (don't know what it's called ^^").

armors: there is no wrong upgrade method since all the armor cores just give different sums of points. If you have money and cores to spare, max the armor(s) you use most. Try not to max everything at the beginning because you will need money and cores later for high rank upgrades (need way more points).

Ok, then the 50 or something limit for each kind of coating feels really low.. For now I think that I'm good with money, since I have 20k and nothing seems to cost much as of now.. (when I said that I got sidetracked, I meant, doing random investigations + SOS requests instead of working in increasing my own HR..).

I think that I will upgrade my armor a bit, since I was starting to have problems surviving more then 2 hits when I got to the 1st hunt in the desert, and I only managed to finish the 2 main hunts after that because of support from others (ya, I was mainly playing solo until that point)..

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Absolute majority of all "elemental" monsters have fire attacks, so I would recommend you to use Bone, Anja, Odobragon armors and such. At least until you will get a set for each element.

Ok, I will make that when I play next time around. Thanks

14 minutes ago, cybershark91 said:

Take your time. It always take some time to get used to the style of mh if you haven't played a installment of it before.

It's totally fine to mix up the armor sets. Later, when you finished the "story" and reached the high rank quests you will have one armor for each element and for different purposes. 

Ok, thanks for the info.

And ya, this is my 1st MH game, so everything's 100% new for me :)

Switch Axe rules the world!!! ?

No, seriously, just go to the Training Arena and try them all out and find the one that "clicks" for you.

Some are more easy to learn than others. But maybe one of the "harder" ones works better for you. We can't say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cybershark91 said:

the more damage thing is more of an illusion. sure the greatsword deals a lot damage in one charged hit, but at the same time, the longsword for example is way faster. SOme weapons deal a little bit more damage, that*'s correct, but it's not a big number if you compare it with the slashes in a given time. At least if you can get all slashes to hit, it is xD 

One problem with the katana, you will stagger your teammates a lot with some attacks. You have to learn to use the best attacks in a specific time. And for the damage of the longsword, it has the ability to kinda charge the blade  during attacks which also increase the strength. 

I have been watching a few guides on youtube today, and I think I might have grasped the concept of the Katana now haha. When I used it I wasnt fully understanding the importance of different combos! Will definitely try it out again the next days, as it probably has a high potential of dealing damage. Especially the helm breaker looks intriguing! Also a Katana fits better to my japanese character than a greatsword lol.

Thanks for your reply!

I've been using Long Swords all my life as it has everything I need from a weapon.

All around great tool with an amazing moveset that allows you to chain relatively fast and heavy attacks.

That being said, I think it's a good practice to mix some things around once in a while - for me it's bows and switch axes. Haven't played latest MHs so never got a chance to try out Insect Glaive so it's definitely next on my list.

I like the dual blades, not sure that's what the game calls them though. It's fun to slide down a hill, push triangle and do this crazy dive/spin attack on bosses. Not quite as agile as Toukiden's dual blades, but it's still fun. Has it's issues with flying monsters, particularly that fluffball since his tail doesn't hang as low as some others. But I'm only on Rotten Vale. I haven't even tried anything else.

Probably give the bow a whirl though since the flying enemies get somewhat annoying.

10 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I like the dual blades, not sure that's what the game calls them though. It's fun to slide down a hill, push triangle and do this crazy dive/spin attack on bosses. Not quite as agile as Toukiden's dual blades, but it's still fun. Has it's issues with flying monsters, particularly that fluffball since his tail doesn't hang as low as some others. But I'm only on Rotten Vale. I haven't even tried anything else.

Probably give the bow a whirl though since the flying enemies get somewhat annoying.

Always bring flash ammo with you if your a close range user especially with flaying monsters

as for best weapon i advise you to try all the weapons in the game at training area once you become familiar with all weapons choose the one you see fit and you better stick to one weapon so you can focus on the upgrade tree for the chosen weapon