Personal Tier Lists?

ExHaseo

With the game still being new, I thought it would be fun to see how people ranked the characters. 

S rank is best, they have maybe one slight weakness, but are overall very powerful.

A+ is above average. They have something that sets them apart from the average, and gives them some sort of advantage over them. 

A is average. They are balanced in their strengths and weaknesses.

B is below average. There's something holding them back.

C is bad. They have a severe drawback.

I put in explanations for every character but A tier, unless it's an especially polarizing character.

S - 

Teen Gohan - He's easily one of the best characters in the game. He has incredible combo-ability, meter gain, pressure, and his level 3 does ridiculous damage. His only downfall is his assist. Putting him on point pretty much eliminates that weakness though.

Adult Gohan - He has some of the best pressure in the game and even without his mystic install, he has good combo-ability, meter gain, and specials. With his level 7 mystic install, he can string combos in any order, which will definitely lead to come crazy stuff in the future. Like his Teen form, his only real downfall is his assist. Putting him on point pretty much eliminates that weakness though..

Goku Black - Black is one of the more obviously good characters. He has great range on his normals, a great assist, a teleport that can be used as an overhead, strong supers that are easy to DHC into, a ranged command grab, good combo ability/meter gain, and is just an overall good character in any slot. I would say he's best in second or third slot though, because his assist is great for locking down the opponent as well as extending combos.

Lord Yamcha - I really hate how good Yamcha is. He has incredible combo-ability, meter gain, pressure, mix up, and reset potential. His assist is also really great for both extending combos and locking down opponents. He's also got an instant overhead that he can combo from that will wreck your day. The only bad part is his somewhat low damage. He'll rely a little more on resets than other characters, but he's the perfect second or third slot character. He can be used as an assist for your point character, but is still solid on his own. Being second or third you can use his mixups to quickly finish off your weakened opponent.

S - 

Beerus - Beerus has a lot of shenanigans. With his weird slide move that goes behind the opponent, ball juggling, and his "get off me" special, he's very versatile, and is one of the few characters that can effectively zone.

Krillin - I think Krillin has a lot going for him. He can control space well with his specials and variable direction ki blasts, rocks can be used to annoy, and destructo disc barrage can lead to some stupid damage. His solar flare has surprising range and can shutdown pretty much anything and will lead to a full combo. He has decent combo ability and pressure. And his assist can be used to annoy, create frame traps, and occasionally even heal. He's also short, which makes him harder to hit with an overhead, as well as juggle.

Kid Buu - Kid Buu is weird, and I think that's going to work in his favor. He's going to be able to confuse the opponent with his bizarre combo strings and it will give him some exceptional mixup/reset potential. He's also got his stretchy limb normals to help him outpoke the opponent and get in fairly easily.

Piccolo - Stretchy limbs. That's really the main reason I put him in A+ tier. His stretchy limbs give him a great advantage in the neutral game, which gives him a leg up from A tier characters. His assist is also incredibly annoying to deal with.

A - 

SS Goku

SS Vegeta

SSGSS Goku

SSGSS Vegeta

Trunks

Android 18

Frieza

Hit - I feel like in the right hands, Hit is one of the best characters in the game. However, he relies way too heavily on good reads and skill. This polarizing nature is why I put him in A.

Android 16 - As a grappler, he relies on grapples for his combos, and that limits him quite a bit. He doesn't have as good of mixups, and he can be hit out of his grabs. However, being a grappler gives him an edge over the B tier characters. In a game that relies heavily on pressure and block strings, he can break right through a person's guard. His kamikaze attack can also pull out a clutch win if landed.

B - 

Android 21 - I had to really struggle when deciding if she belonged in A or B. I ultimately put her in B because of her lack of special moves. Since she absorbs a move from her opponent, whoever she's fighting can change how she plays. So I think she'll take a lot of work to really be effective.

Gotenks - Gotenks just feels a bit limited to me. I haven't seen anything especially good, outside of his assist.

Cell - Cell is a good character, but I think his size is going to get him into trouble. Because of how tall he is, he can get hit with overheads much easier. Which will make him a liability.

Tien - Much like Gotenks, Tien just feels bit limited compared to other characters. He doesn't have that great of normals and isn't especially versatile. He's usable, but he's going to be a bit harder to use than the characters above him.

C - 

Majin Buu - Maybe I just can't figure him out, but he feels very limited to me. He can't combo very well and  that leads to low meter gain and damage. He's also a big target, giving him the same issue that Cell has.

Ginyu - Ginyu is fun to watch, but he relies too much on the Ginyu force, and the Ginyu force isn't all that hard to deal with. Especially since he can't control which member comes out, and instead it's on a rotation.

Nappa - As a somewhat slow, bulky, character, Nappa just can't keep up with the fast pace of the game. He can be a powerhouse, but other characters can run circles around him.

That's how I see each character. I could be wrong, but only time will tell how characters end up developing. What does everyone else think?

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 3

It's way to early to be making tier lists, but I suppose this is just for fun. I definitely disagree with Cell's placement, especially for the reason of him being too tall. He's very good all around with good normals and specials, a strong super and a good assist. There's no reason he shouldn't be higher. Ginyu's reliance on the Ginyu force is what makes him strong. Each member offers some form of space control or pressure, which can be a huge advantage in the right hands. Think about having to deal with Ginyu + one or two Ginyu force members + an assist. The rotation isn't so bad once you begin to figure out when to throw out what. Same goes for Nappa who also relies on Saibamen setups to be properly utilized. Tien is also very dangerous as an anchor, particularly with his level 3 super and full meter. 

15 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

It's way to early to be making tier lists, but I suppose this is just for fun. I definitely disagree with Cell's placement, especially for the reason of him being too tall. He's very good all around with good normals and specials, a strong super and a good assist. There's no reason he shouldn't be higher. Ginyu's reliance on the Ginyu force is what makes him strong. Each member offers some form of space control or pressure, which can be a huge advantage in the right hands. Think about having to deal with Ginyu + one or two Ginyu force members + an assist. The rotation isn't so bad once you begin to figure out when to throw out what. Same goes for Nappa who also relies on Saibamen setups to be properly utilized. Tien is also very dangerous as an anchor, particularly with his level 3 super and full meter. 

It's definitely too early to say for sure, but I thought it would be fun to discuss. Tier lists don't really mean anything unless it comes from top players, and even then it's always subjective and player dependent. Like, you're saying you would put Cell higher, but while I think Cell is good, I think being more susceptible to overheads is a pretty severe weakness. Especially in a fast paced game like DBFZ that's just going to get crazier and crazier damage and setups over time. If getting hit even just twice means death, and it's easier for your opponent to hit you, that's going to be a dead character very fast. Making them useless. Also, why you say that Tien's level 3 is so good? From what I've seen it's not bad, but it's not really noticeably better than other level 3s you can extend, and his level 3 doesn't seem good enough to balance out his shortcomings.

Also, like I said, A is average. B is just below average, and just has some kind of noticeable disadvantage, but that doesn't make any of them really bad or unusable characters. Every character in any fighting game is good "in the right hands". I've played 3rd Strike against people who played Sean ridiculously well, despite him being considered the worst character in the game. The real point of tier lists is to showcase ease of use. Lower tiers have to work harder than higher tiers to get a win. Someone like Nappa or Ginyu is going to be way harder to win with than Adult Gohan. Which is why I put them so low. They require a lot more effort and a lot more time to get good with. And in the case of Ginyu specifically, with the Ginyu force being on a rotation, the opponent will be able to predict what's coming next very easily. While someone like Gohan can do crazy stuff without much work. I mean, my personal best character is 18, but that's just because I've put in the most work with her, because she's one of my favorite characters and I wanted to be able to use her effectively. She can do crazy damaging stuff like characters I put above her, but it requires more work and more bars than someone like Gohan who can do a fairly basic juggle combo into level 3 and get more than 5000k damage.

I don't think Cell having a taller hurtbox is going to make him more susceptible to overheads. As long as he's blocking high it won't matter and overall, he's a very good character with great pressure and a good assist just to name a few. As for Tien, I'm just saying that he becomes more effective with more meter, but I do agree that in terms of normals, he does seem to be lacking. I like his level 3 super because it can be extended to use all 7 bars to really hurt the opponent or you can limit it to 4 to extend it in comparison to others like SSBSS Goku and Vegeta who need 5 bars to extend the super.

I wasn't sure if you were basing your tier list on ease of use because of how you ranked Cell and Goku Black. Both of these characters have a lot of good tools at their disposal and can output quite a lot of damage without much work. If we are going by ease of use though I do agree with you that Ginyu is definitely lower on the list because he does seem to have a high skill ceiling. I do however, disagree with your mention of the Ginyu Force's predictability. Like you said, this is a fast paced game and Ginyu can throw out the Ginyu Force pretty quickly so even if you are able to keep up with which member he's on, it'll be another thing to be able to actually deal with it.

You don't really need "pros" to tell you how strong these 4 are, since a ton of people have been observant.

It's too early to make a roster tier list, but not in noticing which are the best right now.

I hate A16, but can easily see him as a very strong character.

His 2,5, and jump Hs all have armor that can reflect Ki blasts as well.

As an assist, he's a very reliable combo extender.

Command grab's knock back just let's him get various set ups.

He's got 1 of the most damaging meterless combos out there too.

Even if you're bad at hitting his Lv3 suicide super, the mindset of it just gives a presence during a final 1 on 1 situation.

Cell has great neutral game, and works some of the best pressure even as an assist.

His jS & jM are amazing corner loop tools.

Cell since the beta was easily regarded as top 3. His small flaws like A16's height, hardly matter with all the positives they have running to stay in control.

Goku Black has the hitboxes and tools to play a strong balanced play style. He's a reliable neutral game pick, who can just catch player's offense with 2H.

His 5LLL & 2L also have unorthodox hitboxes. He's got some of the safest hit confirms, even on supers.

Adult Gohan is probably 1 of the very few character I could reliably see run back a 3v1 with Lv3 Sparking and Potential Unleashed mixed.

His 5S has insane range, and can just shut down approaches like super dash.

Just going into Lv 1 potential unleashed gives him the most damaging ki blast in the game, it can be used to really force people to approach.

At 7 he can link any normal into any order you choose, which is where mix ups get very dangerous for people to block...making it look like UMvC3 pressure.

As an assist he DPs well giving you an airborne target to follow up on, and can at times be used to prevent pressure.

Edited by DarknessKey92

The big four at the moment are definitely Cell / Adult Gohan / Android 16 / Goku Black. From what I've seen the best character based on opinion right now is a toss-up between 16 and Cell.

16 has great combos and extenders, and just hits like a truck even without meter. He has massive range on his moves as well which helps him out a lot, and escaping any of his combos is almost impossible if the opponent knows how to utilise him with their other two characters. On top of that he has the dumb Lv 3 suicide super (which inexplicably doesn't even KILL HIM), which I've almost lost games to because it's eliminated one of my characters despite them having an entire health bar. He fits the standard brawler / grappler archetype and maybe people just haven't figured out how to fight him yet - but for now he's really damn good.

Adult Gohan can rock worlds with the Potential ability. Being able to link normals any way he likes with Level 7 (even though it needs to be reached first) leads to some ridiculous mixups where it's almost impossible to guess what he's doing and makes it extremely difficult for the opponent to fight back. He's great on assist, fine on his own and just becomes scarier the longer you fight him. I'm thinking of swapping Teen Gohan for him in my team but I'm not sure...

Cell...Cell just has everything in his kit. Fantastic pressure, amazing neutral and great mixup game make him an absolute monster. Doesn't really matter how tall he is because he's usually all over the place hitting you with highs / lows / overheads / full-screen nonsense. As an assist he works pretty well but he absolutely shines when he's in the fight. It's just so hard to lock him down.

Goku Black seems the most balanced but damn that one stupid hitbox of his that extends AROUND his body. I see a lot of players changing Goku Black in and out of combos and I think he works really well as an extender / support character. His supers mesh well with his and other characters' kits and he's great for linking damage - and even if you're not using him for that, he plays well as a character on his own anyway because he's a solid all-rounder with great tools. And his Lv 3 is just so damn cool.

Edited by Kr1st0ph_212