Update 1.03

Darkette

Which released sometime at the end of last month, has made this game overall significantly harder than what it previously was. Most if not all medal times have been rethought and changed to much tighter times than they previously were. From what I’ve seen, the AI even on rookie in the later events seem a lot more aggressive. It’s still doable but it’s definitely hovering around the 6-7/10 difficulty range now.

Platinum times now in my opinion go beyond most things WipEout has to offer. Pre-patch they weren’t all that bad to get, post patch they’re a fucking nightmare. For example, the “Blue Bolts” Class IV Speed Event had a previous platinum time of 18.513, now it is 05.200 and the current gold time is a second less than the old platinum time. That’s a pretty big adjustment and it’s the only one I could barely pull a platinum time on, putting me 12th in the world.

I highly advise to not download 1.03 if digital or delete it if physical. I’m all for “hard” trophies, but altering “developer times” is a cheap move when it’s been previously easier. Unless you want the challenge, don’t waste your time.

• Like 2

Just saw the rarity and yeah... It's not worth putting yourself through a difficult experience for a 19% plat, of course this update is going to make it rarer, but probably not to a standard where it would be worth doing it while the game is at 1.03. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Just saw the rarity and yeah... It's not worth putting yourself through a difficult experience for a 19% plat, of course this update is going to make it rarer, but probably not to a standard where it would be worth doing it while the game is at 1.03. 

Yeah I agree. I bought it because I loved WipEout and I planned to do the online trophy with a friend, if I knew about the change then I would’ve just got it physically. I’m not paying twice so I don’t really have a choice ahah.

• Like 1

Never been a fan of games having updates making things harder, the vast majority of video games have terrible balancing and/or unreasonable expectations of players that need to be adjusted DOWN not up. I will not be updating this, what fun is there to busting my ass for a 20% rarity plat cause 'lol it was easier yesterday before the patch'. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I have it on my backlog for a bit, but will keep in mind to not  the patch (I doubt that I will be playing this anytime soon, since I only get to play ps4 at weekends and have Tales of Zestiria,  Monster Hunter World and Dissidia in my currently playing and with Ni no Kuni 2 out soon..).

20 hours ago, alexhardstyle said:

I have the Lighspeed edition, that edition already have that patch? Cause I connected to internet my ps4 to see what patch will download and only download Pach 1.02.. 

I think the lightspeed edition is the release edition so you should be fine. iirc, the US version has one less update which is why it's 1.02, but I could be wrong. Either way you'll be fine if you don't download it.

Edited by Dark

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, Dark said:

I think the lightspeed edition is the release edition so you should be fine. iirc, the US version has one less update which is why it's 1.02, but I could be wrong. Either way you'll be fine if you don't download it.

Can confirm that the Lightspeed Edition comes with 1.03 unfortunately.

• 4 months later...
On 18/04/2018 at 4:43 AM, SecondGenesis said:

OK, got the platinum medal trophy on the digital trophy. Just needed to win the last tourney. Won the first 4 races and the 5th race crashed on me, no platinum for me. 

I have a few questions. 

Is the Lightspeed save file compatible with the digital unpatched version? Or if the save file of the latest version is usable with the unpatched version? 

And is there any non-patched EU disc version? I only remember seeing the Lightspeed Edition as far as retail goes (and that's what I own). 

I saw that there was a patch (1.04) when I boosted the online trophy, so I don't know what's the easy version of the game, and wanted to see how I would be able to get this Plat as easily as possible. I would like to start it without needing to wait for a sale on the digital version, butthen I wouldn't want to be forced to do everything again on the digital version to get the hard trophies.. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

6 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

And is there any non-patched EU disc version? I only remember seeing the Lightspeed Edition as far as retail goes (and that's what I own).

The physical Lightspeed Edition is version 1.00 in both Europe and America. I don't know if there are any more recent physical versions with patches installed. I doubt it, though.

I got the platinum on EU version 1.01 or 1.02, and my save file still works on 1.00. But there's no way to download a digital version of a PS4 game without all the patches already installed. It'll always come as version 1.05 for NA or 1.04 for EU.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

The physical Lightspeed Edition is version 1.00 in both Europe and America. I don't know if there are any more recent physical versions with patches installed. I doubt it, though.

I got the platinum on EU version 1.01 or 1.02, and my save file still works on 1.00. But there's no way to download a digital version of a PS4 game without all the patches already installed. It'll always come as version 1.05 for NA or 1.04 for EU.

OK, originally I was under the same impression of what you said, but I wanted to double check because @SecondGenesis posted a contrary info saying that the Lightspeed version was at patch 1.03 by default and that he got the digital unpatched version to work around that. 

4 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

OK, originally I was under the same impression of what you said, but I wanted to double check because @SecondGenesis posted a contrary info saying that the Lightspeed version was at patch 1.03 by default and that he got the digital unpatched version to work around that.

I don't have the digital version, but that's just how digital games work on PS4. Once they're patched, there's no unpatching.

I did just test my physical versions before posting that, though.

Perhaps they were talking about the digital version the whole time.

5 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

I don't have the digital version, but that's just how digital games work on PS4. Once they're patched, there's no unpatching.

I did just test my physical versions before posting that, though.

Perhaps they were talking about the digital version the whole time.

OK, probably that was the case. 

Do you know how to permanently make the ps4 stop updating a game? 

Last time that I had to do that, I would need to manually cancel the download every time I started the system or the game (was when I was playing "Silence", since the latest patches glitched a trophy, and the only way to get it is with the unpatched version). 

In the case of this game, I would need a more permanent solution, since I will take longer to Plat it. 

If all fails, and it accidentally updates if I leave the system in sleep mode, I will just delete the game and install it again (if that doesn't mess up with the save file). 

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

One option would be to fill up your PS4 so there's not enough space for the patch to download. It'll just cancel itself every time it starts.

That, and disconnecting from the internet would work too. Never tried the former as it only takes a second to cancel the download.

Just now, Shadiochao said:

One option would be to fill up your PS4 so there's not enough space for the patch to download. It'll just cancel itself every time it starts.

Great idea!! ?

I actually run out of space when I was to install the game to boost the online trophy, and deleted some big game, I guess that I will fill the hdd with just enough space for the base game, so that it can't download the patch! 

Just now, Dark said:

That, and disconnecting from the internet would work too. Never tried the former as it only takes a second to cancel the download.

From a practical standpoint, I it's more bothersome to have my ps4 offline, since when I'm on ps4 I jump in some games that are online only nowadays, making it a bigger issue than canceling the download or delete and reinstall the game. 

3 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

From a practical standpoint, I it's more bothersome to have my ps4 offline, since when I'm on ps4 I jump in some games that are online only nowadays, making it a bigger issue than canceling the download or delete and reinstall the game. 

If it’s digital then deleting and reinstalling would probably just come with the patch pre-installed anyway. Your best bet would honestly be just cancelling it as it barely takes any time at all, but filling up your entire HDD would also work if that’s what you’d like lol.

16 minutes ago, Dark said:

If it’s digital then deleting and reinstalling would probably just come with the patch pre-installed anyway. Your best bet would honestly be just cancelling it as it barely takes any time at all, but filling up your entire HDD would also work if that’s what you’d like lol.

I have the disc, so delete and reinstall works for me (I actually deleted it after getting the online trophy because I had to update it to play online for that trophy). 

And as I said, with my setup it's easier to fill the hdd to avoid it updating while in sleep mode.

This also will increase my priority for this game, I was thinking in going for it after finish Nier Automata, but I will change that and get this game out of the way, then Nier Automata. 

Hopefully the game will not be that long or hard to Plat.. At least when I did the online race, I wasn't as overwhelmed by the speed as I'm on Wipeout after a long break, but I don't know what class that race was.. 

5 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

And as I said, with my setup it's easier to fill the hdd to avoid it updating while in sleep mode.

It'll never attempt to do that unless you reopen the game, unchecking automatic updates will also make sure of it. I usually just tend to pause the update anyway, it doesn’t attempt to resume the download that way. 

As for the difficulty, it’s not as hard as wipeout even with the patch. It just has one seemingly luck based championship at the end of the game but that’s all. Haven’t played it unpatched but just by looking at the older times it looked like a breeze in comparison to post patch. When I was done with the game I realised even after the patch they went really soft with the trophy list.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark said:

It'll never attempt to do that unless you reopen the game, unchecking automatic updates will also make sure of it. I usually just tend to pause the update anyway, it doesn’t attempt to resume the download that way. 

As for the difficulty, it’s not as hard as wipeout even with the patch. It just has one seemingly luck based championship at the end of the game but that’s all. Haven’t played it unpatched but just by looking at the older times it looked like a breeze in comparison to post patch. When I was done with the game I realised even after the patch they went really soft with the trophy list.

So if I pause the download instead of cancel it, it doesn't resume again? Good to know, didn't knew that! 

And good to know that's easier than Wipeout, I actually have the Omega Collection on my backlog to finish the Wipeout series, but the final championship and 1 race in the final stage of HD campaign in Elite almost drove me crazy, really not looking forward to repeat that.. In comparison 2048 was quite easy to Plat.. 

So if this is that much easier, I expect to get this done in 1-2 weekends without to much setbacks.