Over 30K Weekly Players

SuperSaiyan3985

I just wanted to take a moment to address the fact that this game has over 30K weekly players! That is far beyond the most I've seen on any game, and it got me thinking just how popular this game must be. TBH, I thought this was going to be one of those sleeper games because I didn't hear many people talking about it...but clearly I was wrong LOL. This post isn't really contributing anything but I'm wondering how many of your were aware of the game's hype and how many of you weren't.

• Like 1

I was certainly aware of the hype. The demos were streamed an awful lot and there was a constant buzz on Discord too. At first I was worried the demo would put some people off the game, because the demos have never really done the whole experience justice, but everyone was getting more and more hyped it seemed.

But wow, did this game deliver. I seriously didn't expect a series that isn't exactly known for reinventing itself to transform into a modern triple-A title while still being 100% Monster Hunter. It's my favorite Monster Hunter so far, for sure!

1 minute ago, DARKB1KE said:

It's flavour of the month.  New games are always going to have high player amounts when they first release.

The west hasn't really had a game of this type before.. not if you include Lost Planet 2 for large scale bosses/enemies.

People are sheep too, they have to be playing what everyone else is playing right now too. 

I watched livestreams.. don't see what's great about it to be honest.  Looks like typical MMO with grinding for materials all day.

Uh, it's not an MMO and the west has had quite a few hunting games, including several Monster Hunters?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

Uh, it's not an MMO and the west has had quite a few hunting games, including several Monster Hunters?

I didn't say it was, I said it "was like one" because it shares the same qualities, grind for endless materials, upgrade, etc.
I also said a game with large scale enemies, I didn't say the west hasn't had hunting games.

https://www.pcgamer.com/its-time-for-monster-hunter-to-come-to-pc-in-the-west/
https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-is-focusing-on-growing-monster-hunter-in-the-west-aware-that-handhelds-are-limiting-market-397165.phtml
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/676336/Monster-Hunter-World-Capcom-xbox-one-ps4-breakthrough-west-sales-numbers

I think my main goal would be to make sure the launch can be as successful as possible - Monster Hunter hasn’t really broken through in the West as much as it has in Japan, and I really want to get World there, so that’s my absolute focus for now.

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nazareth357 said:

Now if only they would make Toukiden such a success in the West I really enjoy that series as well.

Interesting to see someone who likes Toukiden game(s). With the lack of MH games on playstation I was really forcing myself to enjoy Toukiden but I found it insanely repetitive with almost no challenge. I mean, at one point I would just leave the game running during the quest so NPC companions would kill a boss for me (and they did every time) :awesome:

13 minutes ago, Skadoki said:

Interesting to see someone who likes Toukiden game(s). With the lack of MH games on playstation I was really forcing myself to enjoy Toukiden but I found it insanely repetitive with almost no challenge. I mean, at one point I would just leave the game running during the quest so NPC companions would kill a boss for me (and they did every time) :awesome:

Dang I wish I got your version of the game whenever I play they are kind of useless, lol. I mainly like the theme behind them, I agree the game play isn't as exciting as MH but I like the Oni.

Capcom planned ahead, they made this version appeal to the general public and not the hardcore MH fans, Many fans of MH are saying the game is too easy. I have played most MH games and still enjoying this one a lot.

Secondly they released the game in a period where there were no big titles to go up against, more games need to do this I feel. Now that a few games are starting to come out it will be interesting to see who got hooked to this game or who is already ready to move on.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

Capcom planned ahead, they made this version appeal to the general public and not the hardcore MH fans, Many fans of MH are saying the game is too easy. I have played most MH games and still enjoying this one a lot.

Secondly they released the game in a period where there were no big titles to go up against, more games need to do this I feel. Now that a few games are starting to come out it will be interesting to see who got hooked to this game or who is already ready to move on.

I never understood why all the games need to come out in fall. I mean I know it is the Christmas season but I always figured you are then competing against COD and all the other big titles.

It seems smarter to try for a Spring release and then during the Christmas season you release a GOTY or just slash the price on your game to compete for the Christmas money.

But then again I am not a overpriced marketing person...so what do I know :P 

1 hour ago, DARKB1KE said:

It's flavour of the month.  New games are always going to have high player amounts when they first release.

The west hasn't really had a game of this type before.. so obviously that will garner attention and players... not if you include Lost Planet 2 for large scale bosses/enemies.

People are sheep too, they have to be playing what everyone else is playing right now too. 

Hype when used correctly can get people to part with their money.

I watched livestreams.. don't see what's great about it to be honest.  Looks like typical MMO with grinding for materials all day.

Not all games. Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and The Evil Within 2 didn't generate as many players as one might expect.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Horizon Zero Dawn, Destiny 2, Call of Duty: WWII all generated a substantial number of players during it's first couple weeks. Years and months have passed and now the player base has dropped significantly.

Actual MMOs like World of Warcraft and the like generate a steady stream of players because they're online. Online multiplayer in general generates a lot more players than a game that is solely single player. Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed: Origins were exceptions.

Most people play online for social activity, and Monster Hunter World is no different.

43 minutes ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Everything thing you just said is tumblr_mivl1maUJS1qb86cao2_500.gif

People are sheep because they are playing recently released Monster Hunter World? This guy says people are sheep and he has My Name is Mayo plat...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monster Hunter World is an amazing game and it's finally available on consoles in a long time, that's the reason why. 

It has and will continue to sell well and people are enjoying it.

It's fine if you don't like it, but people are sheep? Lol smh.

Popularity =/= Quality

People bought My Name is Mayo simply because it is one of the easiest platinums in existence. Still doesn't take away the fact it is a niche title and doesn't have the fanbase and recognition that companies like Capcom and Ubisoft have.

New AAA games are generally going to have a much bigger playerbase and people are attracted to them simply because they're new. In a sense new AAA games are typically the flavor of the month, and as time passes the games get less and less players. Doesn't mean they're good, doesn't mean they're bad, they're simply very popular.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, AydenBonnette said:

I don't understand why you have to be a prick and attack someone for having a different opinion than you. It's fine to have an argument and give constructive criticism but being an online bully is fucking childish. Also before you comment back and say you were joking and it may not have been clear you obviously took the time to read Darkbikes profile and attack him/her which is disgusting behavior.

Lol I wasn't joking kid.

I always tell the truth even when I lie ;D

And since i am such a bully give me your lunch money or I'll give you a knuckle sammich and take away your eyeliner and hot topic

t-shirts.

;-) 

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Lol i wasnt joking kid.

I always tell the truth even when I lie ;D

And since i am such a bully give me your lunch money or I'll give you a knuckle sammich and take away your eyeliner and hot topic

t-shirts.

;-) 

I hope you have a good day tomorrow and your Monster Hunter progress goes good as well. Don't @ me, I'm ending the conversation.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Van-Helsings said:

i have been wondering though, what was the game with the highest weekly players on this site? and how many did it have?

Destiny hit 40,000 at some point, probably when it first came out though I don’t remember how long it had those numbers for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van-Helsings said:

i have been wondering though, what was the game with the highest weekly players on this site? and how many did it have?

I will definitely be GTA5 when it first released on PS3 - recent players’ figure went over 90k

4 hours ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

People are sheep because they are playing recently released Monster Hunter World? This guy says people are sheep and he has My Name is Mayo plat...

No.  I'm saying that people usually flock to whatever game is "popular" at the moment and play what everyone else is playing right now just to "fit in".  It's like high school mentality. 
You only need to look at Twitch to see what is trending right now.  PUBG?  Fortnite?
By all means continue playing the game if you enjoy it, but don't get offended because I don't like your favorite game.  I'm sure it's fun for you, but it doesn't appear that way to me.  I'll play it eventually when the price comes down, get the trophies, and bounce out of there.  

Mayo was like $1 for a plat.  You'd be unwise to pass that deal up.

I'm like the anti-hipster, I do what everyone is not doing ;)

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

No.  I'm saying that people usually flock to whatever game is "popular" at the moment and play what everyone else is playing right now just to "fit in".  It's like high school mentality. 
You only need to look at Twitch to see what is trending right now.  PUBG?  Fortnite?
By all means continue playing the game if you enjoy it, but don't get offended because I don't like your favorite game.  I'm sure it's fun for you, but it doesn't appear that way to me.  I'll play it eventually when the price comes down, get the trophies, and bounce out of there.  

Mayo was like $1 for a plat.  You'd be unwise to pass that deal up.

I'm like the anti-hipster, I do what everyone is not doing ;)

If you're in it just for the trophies, don't bother with it. You will "bounce of out there" after spending 1000+ hours. Anyway, the game is amazing.

People are buying the games just because it's easy to Plat? LOL. I'll leave it with that, don't want to insult anyone.

• Like 2