New developer tools will see Unity games pop up on the PS3, PS Vita and PS4

Aranea Highwind

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/unity-engine-headed-to-playstation-platforms

Unity Technologies today announced a partnership with Sony that will see Unity tools developed for PlayStation platforms.

Announced on the PlayStation blog, the news means that games built in the Unity engine will be portable to the PS3, PS Vita, PS Mobile, and the future PS4.

Unity’s one of the most popular game creation programs in the business due to the ease with which developers, whether big-name or indie, can learn its tools. Companies such as EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix use Unity in some of their projects, but this news is a real boon to independent developers and fans of indie games. Unity allows developers to easily port their games across numerous platforms, and with PlayStation now added to the list, the number of titles available to gamers is likely to increase significantly.

Unity has been supported on PS3 for awhile now, but this is the first time that the tools will be made available for public use.

Games that have been (or are being) built with Unity tools include Temple Run, Wasteland 2, and Dreamfall Chapters.

More proof that Sony knows what we want. The PlayStation 4 has a lot of features and does a lot of things but first and foremost it is a gaming console and its primary focus is games. This is the kind of thing Sony needs to do if they want the PS4 to be as successful as the PlayStation and PS2 were and it really looks like they're committed to making the best console on the market. Microsoft is going to have a hard time besting Sony, in my opinion.

Parker

• Like 1

I'm really worried hope lazy of unity games the system may get now. There are some god awful psn games out there, but a tool that makes it easier to make games may not help the overall quality of the store. That being said, I dont want it to sound like Unity is all bad. There are some awesome advantages and I'm sure the big devs will know how to use Unity to help their games, as opposed to use Unity to build them.

I'm really worried hope lazy of unity games the system may get now. There are some god awful psn games out there, but a tool that makes it easier to make games may not help the overall quality of the store. That being said, I dont want it to sound like Unity is all bad. There are some awesome advantages and I'm sure the big devs will know how to use Unity to help their games, as opposed to use Unity to build them.

The games have to go through Sony first.

This is good. Sony have already been out-indieing Microsoft and Nintendo pretty hard, and this is just going to help that trend to increase. It's good for the indie devs as much as gamers, who frankly ought to be force fed indie games from time to time.

Amy wasn't the best PSN game out there and it got into the PSN shop. As long as you have a pub license with Sony you pretty much can put anything there.

I don't think they actually play the game. It was an exclusive at first, but then went multiplatform, I guess they just want exclusives.

And Unity has been supporting PS3 for a long time now.