Are RoE and LM as hard as the main campaign on nightmare?

tnaires

Just finished Doom 3 main campaign on Nightmare and... OMG that was hard, perhaps the hardest trophy I've unlocked so far.

I'm still not sure about playing RoE and LM campaigns... How hard are the expansions compared to the main campaign on Nightmare? How many hours did you take to complete them?

Thanks!

Rezurrection of Evil if a bit tough at the end, when you have to fight Maledict. On Nightmare I did it with 1 HP (you can still save during the fight though). Lost Mission is annoying at best. It's just a bunch of maps sawed together for no reason, but relativily easy. If we are talking about something really hard in this edition, than it is definetely DOOM 2. Not imposible, but old school as hell (Got that? Hell! hahahaha...ha...because it's DOOM).

• Like 2

Thanks for your inputs.

I'm still kind of sick of playing Doom 3 because of the tough time I've had when finishing Nightmare difficulty level, so I'm currently playing Doom 1 on Ultra Violence just to relax a bit... Two levels left to finish the second episode. I've finished both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 some years ago, so I hope it doesn't give me a hard time. I plan to start RoE as soon as I get all Doom 1 trophies.

On 14.02.2018 at 4:26 AM, tnaires said:

I've finished both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 some years ago

So there is nothing special left.

I'm still kind of sick of playing Doom 3 because of the tough time I've had when finishing Nightmare difficulty level

With Soul Cube it's very easy. On PC there was none of that.

Doom 1 trophies

First few levels of forth episode were a mess and pain, but once you pass them and get BFG, the game is a cake walk.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just did DOOM 3 on Nightmare. Il say boss battles are very easy if use Soul cube and charge BFG shots. The nightmare difficulty is very hard at the start when enemies. Coming with shotguns and smg. Can 1 shot you. Later in the game when miniguns are coming then it's getting brutal agein but those are rare spawns. Melee enemies are no problems at all 

My Favorit guns are Plasma rifle and the SMG.    The mingun and Shotgun i i almost never used. I use SHotguns when my SMG and Plasma were low ammo. And ofc the pistol is useless 

Edited by Tomy_IV
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On February 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM, tnaires said:

Just finished Doom 3 main campaign on Nightmare and... OMG that was hard, perhaps the hardest trophy I've unlocked so far.

I'm still not sure about playing RoE and LM campaigns... How hard are the expansions compared to the main campaign on Nightmare? How many hours did you take to complete them?

Thanks!

I know this topic is old but since I have just obtained the Doom 3 Platinum I'll leave my 2 cents.  The Doom 3 main campaign on nightmare has some challenging sections but is very doable if you're smart with your saves + soul cube.  I progressed through very slowly killed a few enemies without taking damage and would make sure I was clear to save, rinse repeat until the end. Haha bosses were pretty easy too...again soul cube them to DEATH!! Think it took me like 7-8 hours to finish.

Lost Mission - I personally found to be a cake walk after completing the main campaign on nightmare. Like if you can get through the Doom 3 main campaign on nightmare mode, lost mission should give you no issues at all. Save the SOUL CUBE for the annoying enemies!  I can't remember exactly and I would have to recheck my save file but I believe I finished lost mission in about 3 - 4 hours.

Resurrection of Evil - For me was easily the most annoying to finish on nightmare. Not having the soul cube kinda sucks.. so your only way to re-heal is the health stations on the wall and they are few and far between.  The artifact you have instead of the soul cube which slows down time and allows you to berserk one punch your way through hordes of enemies is very helpful for getting through rough areas with lots of hell spawn.  Soooooo many damn revenants!!! ROE took me 3 - 4 hours to complete aswell.  On all my completion times I'd give or take another 1 - 3 + hours for the moments I was stuck on a part / died and had to reload my saves until I progressed forward. 

Edited by XxMike53
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I've finished all of the three campaigns on nightmare (just finished Lost Mission) and here are my comments:

Doom 3 - very doable. There are indeed a lot of tough parts where you need to plan accordingly beforehand, but comparing to the other campaigns it's more lengthy than hard. I took around 9 hours to get to the end.

Resurrection of Evil - for me, it was the hardest of the three campaigns. Not having the soul cube sucks but at least on nightmare the artefact starts with all features (including invincibility). The revenants will give you a hard time though. Took me around 5 hours to finish.

Lost Mission - after completing the other campaigns, this one was a breeze to me. Some specific tough parts that are very manageable. Took me less than 3 hours.

Ordering from easier to harder:

Lost Mission < Main campaign < Resurrection of Evil

Edited by tnaires
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I just finished Doom 3 and ROE on Nightmare. 

I originally played Doom 3 and ROE on PC in 2005.  I loved vanilla Doom 3 and used the flashlight as a weapon all of the time to kill zombies.  I was originally able beat Doom 3 on Nightmare difficulty but was not able to beat Maledict on Nightmare in 2005.  I played all three campaigns on recruit difficulty in 2019 while knocking out all the collectible and miscellaneous trophies.  I beat the Lost Mission on Nightmare and played ROE up until Erebus 4 on Nightmare before I got fed up with the reloading times and the horrid controls that I had to put the game away for three years.

If it matters to anybody regarding Nightmare difficulty of the three campaigns, I felt that Doom 3 was more insufferable due to the length of the campaign, not having the double-barrel shotgun, not having the Grabber and the cheap deaths caused by enemies constantly spawning behind you, popping out from panels behind you or coming from rooms behind you.  I felt like I was having way more fun and able to make more progress in ROE solely due to less enemies spawning behind you.  I also made the mistake of playing ROE like Doom 3, trying to evade the enemy projectiles and dying a lot from the splash damage.  The Grabber is a great weapon on Nightmare because even a Hell Knight's splash damage can't take away your precious HP.  Also, shout out to people here who figured out that you could use the Dualshock 4 + back button attachment because that lowered the difficulty of Nightmare dramatically.  I don't know if I would have been able to get through Nightmare with the Dualshock 3.

I actually made a big miscalculation by playing the entirety of Delta Labs and Hell with only 3 HP, thinking there would be at least one health station in Delta.  There were health stations on the wall, but they were inoperable.  ?  I didn't have any saves left from Phobos Revisited, so I figured I was in for a grueling final stretch.  The parts I had trouble with in Delta were the ones where, you guessed it, enemies spawned behind you.  The Hell Knight that spawns behind you between the servers and the Revenant that spawns behind you while Ticks spawn in from the front made me feel like I was playing the base campaign all over again.  I probably made it harder than it needed to be because I stubbornly would rather die and suffer through the reloading screens than use than Artifact.

Surprisingly, I didn't have any issues with the Hell level.  I was very afraid of the Maledict fight because I was never able to beat him in 2005 when I played the game on Nightmare.  Similar to catching every bounty alive in Bounty Hunter for PS2 in 2002, I wondered for years if I would ever be able to beat the Maledict on Nightmare.  With only 3 HP, it didn't take as many tries as I thought it would to beat Maledict.  I watched some boss fight tutorials on YT and mashed together the strategies I thought were the best.  I didn't use any Artifact charges during phase 1 of the fight and shot single BFG blasts.  Firing single BFG shots was a game-changer because you don't have to hit him directly to damage him and the trails from the BFG shots revealed his location underneath the arena.  I died so many times before because I never knew which direction he came up from until his fire balls killed me.  I made a save shortly after Phase 2 started, only for a meteor to land on my head.  I reloaded the save and... immediately died due to the meteor.  I feel sorry for anybody who only used 1 save and saved at a spot like this.  So I re-did Phase 1 and made a save AFTER activating the Artifact, then unloaded the rest of my BFG cells and rockets into Maledict's face.  I died several times due to not being able to activate the Artifact again until AFTER one charge wears off, but I got the timing down well enough to finish the fight.  It would have been a lot easier if Artifact charges could stack, but oh well.  After 17 years, I no longer have to wonder what it feels like to beat ROE on Nightmare. (It doesn't feel good.  I was really frustrated with the loading times, the chest-mounted flashlight and the horrid controls.  I always felt the graphics were bad, even in 2012, so looking at it now makes it even worse.  I also don't want to play Doom 1 and Doom 2.)

So in terms of difficulty from easiest to hardest (cheap deaths and getting pissed off due the loading times are factored into the difficulty), I would say Lost Mission -> ROE -> Doom 3.

• Like 2