Capture / “Pacifist” Question

Zondares

Ahoy there Monster Hunter players,

I finally purchased World (downloading as I type), and as a complete newcomer to the series, I have a question that google couldn’t reliably solve. Is it possible to play whilst only ever capturing the monsters and not ever killing them?

I mean even including tutorials and hunts / quests that ask you to kill, can you fail the conditions and still progress?

Edited by Zondares

Typically the objectives are "hunt" a specific monster, so you can capture OR kill.  However there are a few late game monsters that can ONLY be killed, and the quest objective specifically says "slay".

You don't learn how to capture monsters right away so I honestly don't know if you have to kill the first real hunt.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wackt1 said:

capturing monsters is beneficial to you too because you can earn more, and rarer parts by capturing them.

The "you get more loot when you capture"-Myth needs to die already! It exists since forever and was wrong back then and is wrong now.

Look up any monster on Kiranico: they have two drop tables, one for killing and one for capture. And there also exists a carve table which is usually a bit different too.

In addition to that, each quest also has a reward table.

When you capture in a hunting quest, you pull the quest rewards plus some rewards off the capture table, but get no carves or pulls from the kill table. Most of the time (not EVERY time) rewards for capturing might be rarer items (higher drop chance) but even when you get rare items, it is more often than not a single one. The killing loot table on the other hand usually has less chance for rare items, but you'll get stacks of 2 or 3 items. Also note that there's usually some capture-only parts, as well as some carve-only (!) parts, especially on HR. (Gems and so on).

And then there are also rewards for breaking parts off the monster. In the rewards screen, those rewards will be marked with f.ex. "Break the head of XYZ".

Again, this is different for every quest, monster, etc, and while this is not a rule that is set in stone, in general, this is how it works.

There are quest where capturing is required, also capturing is most of the time easier than killing and - important when farming - faster. It often has a higher chance for rare rewards and sometimes capturing is required for specific parts but in general, it doesn't net "more" loot, just different loot.

4 hours ago, Zondares said:

Welp, I’m officially giving up. There doesn’t seem to be any way of capturing anything until you officially learn how and I just wasted $60 on a game that I expected would be problematic but still wanted to try. Oh well, my bad. Thanks for the help though.

Not true, I've been capturing before the game even "introduced" capturing. If I remember correctly Trap Parts are available for purchase right away - you only need to craft the rest.

4 hours ago, Sicho said:

Capturing is not every pacifist anyway.

You still need to beat the shit out of the monster before it can be captured. And then it will live in captivity until it get's slain in the Special Arena.

I fully acknowledge my complete misunderstanding of the game. Just wanted something with good character customization and great co-op. As I mentioned, I knew it would be somewhat problematic for me, but I thought I could overlook the colonialist fantasy aspect a bit and at least play a more passive, scientific role. I was wrong. Keep enjoying it, MH fans, and thanks for chiming in. I’m presently hunting down a copy of Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS which seems far more to my liking.

5 hours ago, Sicho said:

Capturing is not every pacifist anyway.

You still need to beat the shit out of the monster before it can be captured. And then it will live in captivity until it get's slain in the Special Arena.

Some of them are released back into nature. One of the scientists says so.

55 minutes ago, Zondares said:

I fully acknowledge my complete misunderstanding of the game. Just wanted something with good character customization and great co-op. As I mentioned, I knew it would be somewhat problematic for me, but I thought I could overlook the colonialist fantasy aspect a bit and at least play a more passive, scientific role. I was wrong. Keep enjoying it, MH fans, and thanks for chiming in. I’m presently hunting down a copy of Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS which seems far more to my liking.

Don't forget that Capcom is still a Japanese company and in Japan, they still hunt whales and what not. :D  Hunting Action is its own genre nowadays https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phantasy-star-online-and-monster-hunter-style-games-thread-star-hunter-society.917101/

I respect your point-of-view and that you really want to go all-in in terms of roleplaying but these games are usually more action than RPG. I would even say they are closer to fighting games than to RPGs.

Monster Hunter Stories is more like a Pokémon game.

45 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Some of them are released back into nature. One of the scientists says so.

some is not all though ;)

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 3:17 AM, Zondares said:

Welp, I’m officially giving up. There doesn’t seem to be any way of capturing anything until you officially learn how and I just wasted $60 on a game that I expected would be problematic but still wanted to try. Oh well, my bad. Thanks for the help though.

its bad you giving up because the game don't let you roleplaying like you want, you can capture everything only if the quest says something else and only the elder dragons you cannot capture

On 12/02/2018 at 6:29 AM, Sicho said:

The "you get more loot when you capture"-Myth needs to die already! It exists since forever and was wrong back then and is wrong now.

Look up any monster on Kiranico: they have two drop tables, one for killing and one for capture. And there also exists a carve table which is usually a bit different too.

In addition to that, each quest also has a reward table.

When you capture in a hunting quest, you pull the quest rewards plus some rewards off the capture table, but get no carves or pulls from the kill table. Most of the time (not EVERY time) rewards for capturing might be rarer items (higher drop chance) but even when you get rare items, it is more often than not a single one. The killing loot table on the other hand usually has less chance for rare items, but you'll get stacks of 2 or 3 items. Also note that there's usually some capture-only parts, as well as some carve-only (!) parts, especially on HR. (Gems and so on).

And then there are also rewards for breaking parts off the monster. In the rewards screen, those rewards will be marked with f.ex. "Break the head of XYZ".

Again, this is different for every quest, monster, etc, and while this is not a rule that is set in stone, in general, this is how it works.

There are quest where capturing is required, also capturing is most of the time easier than killing and - important when farming - faster. It often has a higher chance for rare rewards and sometimes capturing is required for specific parts but in general, it doesn't net "more" loot, just different loot.

Capturing over killing has been a thing since forever, and I've played MH since its inception. You get one more reward at the result screen for capturing than you would in carves for killing (before Capture Master armor skill). More dice rolls means more chances to get a gem or rare materials, it's a no brainer. 

6 hours ago, Pixel said:

You get one more reward at the result screen for capturing than you would in carves for killing 

no, that's not true and has never been the case ever, in any MH!

People just confuse the capture rewards with the breaking parts rewards because they are in the same line.

By slaying monsters, you get your bonus rewards from carving in the final minute of the quest. You carve different body parts and have the choice to carve different body parts for different materials.

By capturing monsters, you won’t be able to carve and collect materials. Instead, you will get bonus rewards directly in the general reward screen.

Now what people don't do is adding the carved materials up to those they get in the reward screen at the end. That's why they are confused because they look at the rewards screen and there is less on there then after a capture BUT you carved three to four items before you got on the rewards screen! Add them to the items in the rewards screen and then you will find that you get effectively more rewards from killing then from capturing! (also you ABSOLUTELY have to substract the rewards form the rewards screen that are marked with "Break head" etc. because those are the breaking parts rewards to find out exactly how much you got).

Or, as I said before, just check the loot tables at Kirianco. (preferably MH4U or older, because those for MH World aren't really elaborate yet)

But again, it is easy: yes, you get more loot on the rewards screen but you don't get carves, if you add those up to the rewards you get for killing, you have more rewards than capturing.

You are guaranteed 3 carves but generally only get 2 capture rewards. 4 carves on bigger beasts. You have a 69% chance of a third capture reward but a lot of the time, you will only get 2.

You get a lot of breaking rewards in the end though. And often, when capturing, because people fight differently, they also break off more parts as opposed to when they try to kill it. (even though the fight goes on longer) That's why it's important to distinguish between the capturing rewards and the breaking rewards on the rewards screen.

Also very important: this is a general rule BUT it can be different for certain quests!

If you want the most rewards (as in quantity), break everything on the monster, carve the tail, kill it, carve the monster. (and use the Plunderblade Palicoe Gadget)
If you want a higher chance at rares, break everything, carve the tail, then capture it.
(exceptions are of course the items that are only rewarded for capture or killing respectively)

And it also makes sense that capturing yields fewer rewards because it is way easier than killing, especially because at the end of the fight (when the monster went to sleep) it will almost permanently be in Super Saiyan Mode (Rage Mode) for the last phase of the fight. (although capturing is more "expensive" as you need items to do it)

It's not like this hasn't been discussed to death in the last decade. I recommend reading through these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/5309io/mhgen_monster_drop_guide_how_to_maximize_your/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/1xjwh2/capturing_vs_killing/

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55166/t1851248-capture-vs-kill/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71333044

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65809796

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2szs0x/question_why_does_capturing_a_monster_give_better/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sicho said:

no, that's not true and has never been the case ever, in any MH!

People just confuse the capture rewards with the breaking parts rewards because they are in the same line.

By slaying monsters, you get your bonus rewards from carving in the final minute of the quest. You carve different body parts and have the choice to carve different body parts for different materials.

By capturing monsters, you won’t be able to carve and collect materials. Instead, you will get bonus rewards directly in the general reward screen.

Now what people don't do is adding the carved materials up to those they get in the reward screen at the end. That's why they are confused because they look at the rewards screen and there is less on there then after a capture BUT you carved three to four items before you got on the rewards screen! Add them to the items in the rewards screen and then you will find that you get effectively more rewards from killing then from capturing! (also you ABSOLUTELY have to substract the rewards form the rewards screen that are marked with "Break head" etc. because those are the breaking parts rewards to find out exactly how much you got).

Or, as I said before, just check the loot tables at Kirianco. (preferably MH4U or older, because those for MH World aren't really elaborate yet)

But again, it is easy: yes, you get more loot on the rewards screen but you don't get carves, if you add those up to the rewards you get for killing, you have more rewards than capturing.

You are guaranteed 3 carves but generally only get 2 capture rewards. 4 carves on bigger beasts. You have a 69% chance of a third capture reward but a lot of the time, you will only get 2.

You get a lot of breaking rewards in the end though. And often, when capturing, because people fight differently, they also break off more parts as opposed to when they try to kill it. (even though the fight goes on longer) That's why it's important to distinguish between the capturing rewards and the breaking rewards on the rewards screen.

Also very important: this is a general rule BUT it can be different for certain quests!

If you want the most rewards (as in quantity), break everything on the monster, carve the tail, kill it, carve the monster. (and use the Plunderblade Palicoe Gadget)
If you want a higher chance at rares, break everything, carve the tail, then capture it.
(exceptions are of course the items that are only rewarded for capture or killing respectively)

And it also makes sense that capturing yields fewer rewards because it is way easier than killing, especially because at the end of the fight (when the monster went to sleep) it will almost permanently be in Super Saiyan Mode (Rage Mode) for the last phase of the fight. (although capturing is more "expensive" as you need items to do it)

It's not like this hasn't been discussed to death in the last decade. I recommend reading through these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/5309io/mhgen_monster_drop_guide_how_to_maximize_your/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/1xjwh2/capturing_vs_killing/

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55166/t1851248-capture-vs-kill/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71333044

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65809796

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2szs0x/question_why_does_capturing_a_monster_give_better/

No thanks. I have my facts straight. I'm from the old MH community so i know what I'm talking about

1 hour ago, Pixel said:

No thanks. I have my facts straight. I'm from the old MH community so i know what I'm talking about

as if in the "old MH community" this myth wasn't omnipresent (and debunked as well but still a lot of people believe it)

And the earth is flat, right? ;)

I trust maths, stats and reverse engineering more than your "I remember something someone said in an old forum" mentality.

As stated in the opening of https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

you simply have no idea how the loot system works and think your assumptions are the truth.

And you are probably a victim of confirmation bias.

So the fact remains: capturing netting more loot is fake news ^^

And as long as you prefer to stay uninformed instead of reading the provided information and then debating said information, you are not to be taken seriously in this discussion. Read up on the consensus, then come back.

At least this paragraph is the absolute minimum you should read and this has been proven to be true for every MH since the beginning up to World:

Whats the difference between Killing and Capturing?

Killing requires you to drop the monster HP to zero and it lets you carve 3 [4 for some monsters] items from the body of the dead monster from a specific pool of items. Killing will always give you 3 [4 for some monsters] items.

Capturing becomes available when a monster drops below a certian HP threshold. It varies from monster to monster, but its when they drop between 25%-10% of their health. Capturing gives out 2 items in the rewards of the quest, from a different pool of items and 3 or 4 with the Tranquilizer skill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sicho said:

as if in the "old MH community" this myth wasn't omnipresent (and debunked as well but still a lot of people believe it)

And the earth is flat, right? ;)

I trust maths, stats and reverse engineering more than your "I remember something someone said in an old forum" mentality.

As stated in the opening of https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

you simply have no idea how the loot system works and think your assumptions are the truth.

And you are probably a victim of confirmation bias.

So the fact remains: capturing netting more loot is fake news ^^

And as long as you prefer to stay uninformed instead of reading the provided information and then debating said information, you are not to be taken seriously in this discussion. Read up on the consensus, then come back.

At least this paragraph is the absolute minimum you should read and this has been proven to be true for every MH since the beginning up to World:

I know what i know because i have over 6000 hours across the whole series... you can believe whatever you want, just don't go spreading it about like some sort of Jehovah's witness.

The fun thing about facts is that they remain true, no matter what you believe ;)

I will try to find the article from aeons ago again where CAPCOM THEMSELVES explained how it works ... but then you will still probably not believe it.

Time to brush up my japanese skillz :D

• Like 1

Can't find it yet, but here is the Japanese wiki:

http://wiki.mh4g.org/ida/64371.html

If you are using Google Chrome, just right-click on the page and then translate to English...

There it says again: Capturing rewards maximum: 4 (frames)

That's the same max. that carving has.

Ergo: Loot is NOT more than with killing.

(P.S.: Also in MH4 (?) I think there where monsters with three carving points at 3 to 4 carves EACH, netting you a max. of 12 (!) carves from ONE kill.

• Like 1

And I thought I was stubborn. This man (Or girl....or other) is giving reference after reference. And this guy over here is like "I've been playing longer then you so I won't listen to you"

Just because you've spent alot of time in the game doesn't mean you're good at it, nor do you always know EVERYTHING about the given game. Hell, I'm 96 hours in and just discovered the Power/armor charms/talons.

• Like 1