If it wasn't for assist mode, the platinum difficulty rating of this would've been a 10/10.

Crzy Minus

7 minutes ago, MMDE said:

@Spaz I'd recommend Fenix Furia too, though I hope you don't run into any of the glitched trophies issues. I wrote guide for both N++ and Fenix Furia btw. I'd also recommend RETSNOM, which is another game I've written a guide for, if you're at all into them being a bit "puzzle platformer" too. Why stop there? :P Oddworld: New n Tasty, Unmechanical, maybe even Apotheon. Those 3 have all been PS+ too.

I did Apotheon five months ago. Fairly easy game that was on Plus, though that was probably before I became a Plus subscriber.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of tightly controlled platformers or puzzle platformers even though I've said on numerous occasions I like a good platformer and I'm fairly good at some of them.

The Swapper was a game I did last year that was also free on Plus at some point, that was basically a puzzle platformer through and through but I prefer to just do the platforming on my own rather than look up a guide. Which is usually what I end up doing when I get stuck at a certain section for upwards of 30 minutes - 1 hour.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Celeste is evidently aimed into completionist audience - giving 100% with not so much effort, as long as you experience the story. This is also the reason why I probably don't buy this game, and even if I buy it on high discount, I don't mind doing everything in assist mode.

Maybe ten years ago I've had enough perseverance to complete, for example, God of War I & II on hardest difficulty just to feel good about my gaming skills, nowadays I don't have time and patience for a game which doesn't even reward me for doing something "hard way" - this is why I pick games like Super Meat Boy, Velocity 2X or Downwell over games like Celeste, Guacamelee 2 or Bloodborne (hard games, but have a cheesable strategies to earn platinum easier). Trophies changed the way I look onto gaming - I can't just struggle 20 hours on one thing without getting a trophy with low rarity, even if trophies are still "Bragging Rights" reward.

Edited by sashamence
  • Like 2

I'd just do what the game says: beat the story and PICO8 and as many strawberries as you can without assist first. Then, go through and get all the strawberries, cassettes, and everything else with assist just to get a balanced experience of both. That's what I'm going to start doing now, at least

• Like 2

On 12.12.2018 at 3:08 PM, bschwarz95 said:

I'd just do what the game says: beat the story and PICO8 and as many strawberries as you can without assist first. Then, go through and get all the strawberries, cassettes, and everything else with assist just to get a balanced experience of both. That's what I'm going to start doing now, at least

That's what I've done. Completed the game and got all strawberries without assist mode and even did half of the B-sides without assist and it was really fun and rewarding. When it started to get really, really hard and annoying on the B-sides I turned it on and enhanced some stuff, like one more dash and so on and so on until I turned everything on and cheesed my way through the rest, especially C-Sides wtf :D.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Can you turn on assist mode later? I thought it was something you chose at the beginning of the game.

Anyway, my two cents: no good reason for assist modes for optional challenges that don’t lock story content It feels as if you’re just currying favor with the Jason Schreiers and the other “it’s about accessibility!” folks of the world. I don’t care if people use it, but as another person noted, it’s like having a trophy for completing all levels in a world of Super Meat Boy, only to have an option to let the system do it for you.

Why am I bringing this up now? Because I just started playing it.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would say a 8 or 9 out 10 without assist mode in my opinion. I played it a year ago with assist mode (mainly for the easy platinum to be honest), however have recently gone back to it and redid everything again without assist mode. Very hard, but totally doable because of checkpoints after every section and the fact that you don't need to get any golded strawberries or complete chapter 9 means this is definitely not a 10/10.

Although Celeste is 10/10 from me review wise! One of the best games I've ever played and I regret originally playing it with assist mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently got the Plat. My roadmap was to jump straight into Pico-8 mode. Did that first. Took a couple of hours. Got that challenge out of the way and then did everything else on assist mode. Not sure if Pico-8 is a good comparison of difficulty to the main game. It felt challenging without feeling impossible (took about 2 hours). Anyway, time is money and the game backlog is real. I am all for making life easier. Shout out to anyone that did it without assist mode. I could feel that it would be very difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started going for this Plat. I refuse to use assist mode. It's fine it exists, but in my eyes if you used it for the trophy you know you did and you know your Plat isn't really legit. That's just the honest truth. It's more of a self punishment to know you used it than something we should shame ppl for. 

I don't care if anyone else's Plat is legit, mine will be. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, APeskyAxolotl said:

that's a great goal to have, i look forward to you getting the plat!

but... using resources given by the game itself doesn't make the plat illegitimate; a glitch would, for sure. But an official setting? no. It just means you're taking the long way around and punishing yourself for pride. you do you bro, let other people do themselves (wink)

I'm not speaking in definite terms. Everyone can feel how they want about it. 

It's my opinion that trophies are accomplishments, not something you use every exploit to get and yes I think lesser of people who do - IF they are on a site like this showcasing their trophies. 

It's one thing to use glitches, its another thing to enable an option that makes the game a tutorial difficulty more or less. 

I already have the plat btw. I'd give it a 2/10 without assist. It really wasn't all that "hard" since the hardest things in game aren't required for the plat. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boorish said:

You're kidding.

No, I found it slightly time consuming but really really easy. 

I was basically born with a controller in my hand in 1990 and I've been playing platformers since. This one was easy enough, not easy like "I did it all first try!" but easy as in I was never "stuck" on an objective. A couple things were a lot more difficult than others, but speaking as a whole it wasn't bad. 

You have to remember that difficulty is subjective. I've been clearing platformers harder than this for a long time. 

Go play the old Sega Genesis version of Shadow Of The Beast and tell me this game is hard after. That game was hard to clear, I'd give just clearing it a 10. This was several orders of magnitude easier. 

Maybe a 2 is a bit hyperbolic but I wouldn't go higher than 4. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boorish said:

*cries in 16.1k deaths*

Don't enable people like this guy, it's like that one kid in high school who according to him already did X number of things ahead of you with ease, Celeste is tough as nails.

11 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Don't enable people like this guy, it's like that one kid in high school who according to him already did X number of things ahead of you with ease, Celeste is tough as nails.

No, I'm not talking crap. I'll admit what I'm bad at. I suck at FPS and I'm pretty average at side scrolling shooters. 

One level in a game I platted recently took me 302 attempts on extreme difficulty for the one level. 

I'm not a gaming God, I'm just really good at playformers. You can believe me or not I don't care. 

4 minutes ago, Boorish said:

It is and will be for most people. But some people are just cracked at platformers.

I'm really not trying to be an elitist or a jerk lol im really great at platformers and moderately good at other genre but worse than a lot of people at them. 

I'm trash at following a trophy guide for an RPG too. 

I just get a bit extra hyped about defending not using assists for trophies. I like to see gamers challenge themselves and get better. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken
  • Like 3