Game thoughts? (The Fall Part 2: Unbound)

Anyone played this yet, or picking it up today?

I picked up the first game when it was on sale last June, and I loved it. Will definitely get this second game, in a rare instance of me buyong a game before seeing any reviews.

Note: if you don't have The Fall yet, there's a bundle available for a nice price, with an extra 20% PS+ discount. The Fall is a sci-fi game about the AI in a suit of armour trying to get to a hospital before the suit's human pilot dies. This results in an action/puzzle game with mood comparable to The Swapper, another hidden gem (although The Swapper gets a bit more freaky premise/execution with a cloning and soul transferring gun, and The Fall explores android morality).

Note: if you have played The Fall already, have a Switch and just want the second title, in an instance of reverse Nintendo tax the game is slightly cheaper on the Switch. This seems to happen on occasion on the Switch now with a few smaller games, where instead of the standard $=€ price, the Euro price actually gets a bit of compensation for the currency being more expensive.

Edited by Cool Rick

16 hours ago, soniq said:

When I played the first I couldn't get into it, but the second game looks interesting. Will get it in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle sooner or later.

I didn't look into trailers etc. because I was set on getting the game anyway after being wowed by the first. What is it about the second game that makes you want to give it a try even though you didn't like the first one?

4 hours ago, Kishnabe said:

Going to wait for a trophy guide before picking it up.

To each their own but I don't get this approach. It's a game heavy on story, probably with a twist or two, probably not longer than six to eight hours and probably not that hard to get through. Why spoil the surprises by using a guide right away?

If you want the completion without all the effort, you could always do a first playthrough blind and look at a guide for a second playthrough.

11 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

What is it about the second game that makes you want to give it a try even though you didn't like the first one?

The description I read about it seems interesting in the same way I find Philip K Dick interesting. Can a machine be human, and all that. I didn't expect it when I played the first. It just seemed like a game about solving puzzles that I couldn't figure out after 5 seconds and it bored me at that time.

But that was when I would play games mainly for trophies and a fast completion was my main priority.

I randomly grabbed the first on sale for a dollar and really dug it. The game stuck with me and I'd been keeping my eyes peeled for part two. The one review I watched said this one is considerably better than the first. Got it installed this morning before work, looking forward to checking it out if I can ever manage to tear myself away from Monster Hunter.. 

21 hours ago, soniq said:

The description I read about it seems interesting in the same way I find Philip K Dick interesting. Can a machine be human, and all that. I didn't expect it when I played the first. It just seemed like a game about solving puzzles that I couldn't figure out after 5 seconds and it bored me at that time.

But that was when I would play games mainly for trophies and a fast completion was my main priority.

Yeah, the first game gets pretty cerebral too. I thought it had a pretty intelligent and interesting story, though I'd put it more with Asimov than Dick.

It's good that you moved away from that mindset :) perhaps the first game should be given another chance?

12 hours ago, MagicSandwych said:

I randomly grabbed the first on sale for a dollar and really dug it. The game stuck with me and I'd been keeping my eyes peeled for part two. The one review I watched said this one is considerably better than the first. Got it installed this morning before work, looking forward to checking it out if I can ever manage to tear myself away from Monster Hunter.. 

I would have gotten the game regardless but I liked the sound of a longer game (first one was over in an hour or three or four, if I recall correctly) and an overhaul of the action gameplay.

I've played about an hour now, I think, and I really enjoy the game. Might be much better to not play this before playing the first game though, it's a pretty direct sequel that builds on the story of the first game.

• 5 years later...
On 2/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, soniq said:

Absolutely, but I'll probably wait until the final game is out and play them all in one go.

Going to be waiting a long time, sadly. Still no word on the third game even though it's now been six years since the second game (the second game was released a little less than three years after the first). A shame, I would've liked to see this series to conclusion but at this point I think it's dead.