Why I'm Not Excited

Stargazer2600

I was at work tonight and during the downtime, some co-workers asked if I was excited about KH3. I told them honestly that the answer was no and that it has dropped as low to the bottom of my list as games can go. Naturally, they were shocked cause they knew I loved the KH series and asked what was wrong with it. The answer is nothing, nothing is wrong with KH3. It looks amazing, sounds good and looks really fun. However, I am not getting it anytime in the seeable future. why? it took to long

When KH and KH 2 was released it was amazing. When I finally got around to playing them on ps2 I loved them. I even liked chain of memories for what it was. However, after that, you think they would have done 3 but instead, all they did was re-release 1 and 2 on ps3. there is a whole generation of gaming that they could have done KH3 on and they didn't. they gave us re-releases. Now they release KH3 and I'm supposed to get hyped for something that I wanted over 10 years ago? I mean to me the time has passed :/ 

I know some people are just gonna say "ok? don't buy it" or whatever, but that's not really the point. I know I can't be the only one that feels this way and I'm by no means trying to rain on the hype train or anything. I guess I just wanna get my opinion out there about it. 10+ years is a long time to wait for a game and now that we got it, do we even really want it? I kinda don't, been so long that they could have not ever made it and I really wouldn't have cared.

• Like 3

The other problem with KH 3 for me is that after KH and KH 2 series became too overweighted with different new characters, groups, plot most of which makes it logical and complicated. But let's be honest we loved series just for 3 things: Disney and Final Fantasy Chars, Love Story, Great Music.

Anyway, I'll buy it at day one. But that's because I'm still young. If I was 25 when KH 2 released, now I doubt I would play games.

Edited by PlayAsGod

If it was 10+ straight years with no releases, I'd probably agree. But we've always had a pretty steady stream of content. We've had like 5 and a half games in that 10 years.

At the end of the day, I've never really cared about the story and stuff anyways, I just love the gameplay. There's no amount of time that could make me not excited for that gameplay... Unless they screw it up, which is definitely a fear of mine. Even if they do though, I still have 2 to fall back on lol.

Edit : I should add that I'm not trying to argue with you about it or anything. It sucks that you're not excited for it, I couldn't even imagine. Hopefully something comes along to renew your interest. Good luck.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

I mean, KH3 actually released several years ago in the form of Dream Drop Distance, and we also got a prequel and two side-stories that introduce elements important for KH3.

KH3 is only 3 in name, as KingGuy said there has been a steady stream of content, all of which will be important to understanding KH3 (except maybe re:coded)

I'm not going to let myself get overly excited for it, either. But there have been numerous games over the years. It's not like the series has just been silent for 10+. Dream Drop Distance is far and away the worst game to me, though. It's hard to get hyped for a new entry, after playing what has been the least enjoyable one of them all.. Maybe Fragmentary Passage will reinvigorate my love for the series, but I don't know. 

Well, of course you aren’t. It’s not really for you anymore.

I mean, you were a teenager when the first game came out - you were already in the upper age of the demographic that KH games were targeting. 

Now you are a grown adult, so the novelty of mashing Disney with FF is not really aimed at you anymore - in the same way that Disney animated films are no longer aimed at you. (That is not to say that adults can’t or shouldn’t enjoy them - far from it - but simply that you are no longer the target audience.)

KH is for a younger audience. It doesn’t matter to the devs if the people who loved the first ones have aged out of their audience and don’t care anymore, as there is a new crop of people for whom KH3 will be their first KH game, and will be he determining factor in its success. 

This idea reminds me a little of all the folks who complain about plot holes or other aspects they don’t like in current Star Wars films - completely forgetting that Star Wars is not a franchise designed for the people who watched the originals when they came out. It is designed for 9-17 year olds, and - like it or not - the current crop of 9-17 tear olds have different tastes and influences than we did at that age.

Nostalgia can be nice, but lets face it - there is no possible version of KH3 that could possibly capture the feelings you had playing the first ones. 

You are different now. You have changed. so maybe not playing the new one is actually better for you in the long run.

Think about it - do you actually want a new game? Or do you really just want to re-live the memories of the earlier games?

For my part, I have definitely played sequels to games I loved in the past, only to be doubly dissapointed - first when the sequel doesn’t capture what I remember, then again when I’ve gone back to play the earlier one, only to realise the truth...

it wasn’t the game that was great, but simply my memories of it, and of the time and place in which I did.

You can never go home again...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, of course you aren’t. It’s not really for you anymore.

I mean, you were a teenager when the first game came out - you were already in the upper age of the demographic that KH games were targeting. 

Now you are a grown adult, so the novelty of mashing Disney with FF is not really aimed at you anymore - in the same way that Disney animated films are no longer aimed at you. (That is not to say that adults can’t or shouldn’t enjoy them - far from it - but simply that you are no longer the target audience.)

KH is for a younger audience. It doesn’t matter to the devs if the people who loved the first ones have aged out of their audience and don’t care anymore, as there is a new crop of people for whom KH3 will be their first KH game, and will be he determining factor in its success. 

This idea reminds me a little of all the folks who complain about plot holes or other aspects they don’t like in current Star Wars films - completely forgetting that Star Wars is not a franchise designed for the people who watched the originals when they came out. It is designed for 9-17 year olds, and - like it or not - the current crop of 9-17 tear olds have different tastes and influences than we did at that age.

Nostalgia can be nice, but lets face it - there is no possible version of KH3 that could possibly capture the feelings you had playing the first ones. 

You are different now. You have changed. so maybe not playing the new one is actually better for you in the long run.

Think about it - do you actually want a new game? Or do you really just want to re-live the memories of the earlier games?

For my part, I have definitely played sequels to games I loved in the past, only to be doubly dissapointed - first when the sequel doesn’t capture what I remember, then again when I’ve gone back to play the earlier one, only to realise the truth...

it wasn’t the game that was great, but simply my memories of it, and of the time and place in which I did.

You can never go home again...

I feel sorry for this "new crop of people". They've spent over 15 years building up to this final climax and anyone joining the series now will have no fucking clue what is going on at all. KH can be pretty dark so I dunno about the "for a younger audience" comment.

39 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I feel sorry for this "new crop of people". They've spent over 15 years building up to this final climax and anyone joining the series now will have no fucking clue what is going on at all. KH can be pretty dark so I dunno about the "for a younger audience" comment.

Well, to your first point - the primary selling point of KH3 will not be the conclusion of a story arc.

Of course thats how it will be marketed in gaming press to people like us, but we are a minority. The primary selling point of the game will be the Disney characters on the box art. That was always the biggest selling point of the series.

A lot of people don’t care about joining a series half way through, and just either trusting that they will figure out what they missed, or simply not caring and going with the narrative of the game they are playing. Just ask the box office receipts for Fast and Furious movies ;)

How many people in Playstation only households jumped into Mass Effect at 2, or The Witcher at 3?

How many people played Metal Gear Solid without ever playing the first 2 games? 

And those are somewhat ‘hardcore’ games (by that I mean games for game-literate people).

Disney had a much broader, wider and inter-generational appeal. If people in general don’t care that much, kids truely don’t care.

How many kids out there who are playing Super Mario Oddessy right now do you think feel the need to go back and play Super Mario Bros? Do you think they should have to? Do you think the devs think they should have to?

I doubt that very much. 

I’m certain that the devs will be fully aware that new people will be coming into the series, and will account for that. They aren’t morons. They know they need new blood to the series, and they know that a sizable portion - if not a majority - of the original fans of the series are not going to be in their audience now.

On the second point:  KH is no darker than many of the Disney animated films it draws from.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Isn't that just how everything is? You become an adult, you become a nihilist and then you become responsible for creating your own good time. I have a bit of an anti-consumerist opinion, which is that people aren't entitled to good time just for spending money. There needs to be some will to do it as well. Maybe it's trophy hunting, maybe it's sharing new game experiences or just a matter of routine to play a series. It's just easier to be stuck with remembering past happiness than do something today.

7 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I was at work tonight and during the downtime, some co-workers asked if I was excited about KH3. I told them honestly that the answer was no and that it has dropped as low to the bottom of my list as games can go. Naturally, they were shocked cause they knew I loved the KH series and asked what was wrong with it. The answer is nothing, nothing is wrong with KH3. It looks amazing, sounds good and looks really fun. However, I am not getting it anytime in the seeable future. why? it took to long

When KH and KH 2 was released it was amazing. When I finally got around to playing them on ps2 I loved them. I even liked chain of memories for what it was. However, after that, you think they would have done 3 but instead, all they did was re-release 1 and 2 on ps3. there is a whole generation of gaming that they could have done KH3 on and they didn't. they gave us re-releases. Now they release KH3 and I'm supposed to get hyped for something that I wanted over 10 years ago? I mean to me the time has passed :/ 

I know some people are just gonna say "ok? don't buy it" or whatever, but that's not really the point. I know I can't be the only one that feels this way and I'm by no means trying to rain on the hype train or anything. I guess I just wanna get my opinion out there about it. 10+ years is a long time to wait for a game and now that we got it, do we even really want it? I kinda don't, been so long that they could have not ever made it and I really wouldn't have cared.

I know what you mean. I felt the same way about "The Last Guardian". After SotC, I was actually pretty hyped for this. And then I waited. And waited. And waited. But years later, I wasn't the same gamer any more, and its release hardly elicited a yawn from me.

I'm slightly more interested in KH3 than you are, but not substantially. I mean, I'm sure the characters have been in a state of suspended animation for the last decade-plus, while I have become a husband, a father, and a significantly wealthier man overall. The story of Sora and Riku just doesn't really resonate with me anymore (not that many game stories do).

KH3 feels kind of like that high school friend that never really grew up. You still like him, but you can't see yourself hanging out any more.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

What people need to understand is Disney has and will always appeal to children. Personally I outgrew Disney, there is nothing they put out anymore that interests me in the slightest. But those kids, including my four year old niece, love Disney. 

I haven't outgrown Disney. My kids love it. But I feel like I've outgrown Kingdom Hearts (and my kids HATE Kingdom Hearts, often because of the boring, Xehanort crap).

I had kind of hoped for a grown-up Sora, who also left the play world around him, but is drawn back in. Kind of like that Spielberg movie Hook, but...actually good.

I strongly disagree, first of all the game didn't take 10 years, it was only annouced 4 years ago at E3, and the first hint that it was even supposed to be a thing was a year prior with the secret ending of DDD (ending that also hinted at remakes of previous games comming out prior to it), nothing in any of the games released in the meantime even hinted at KH3 being a thing so anyone that was expecting it to be released have noone else to blame but themselves for waiting for something that was never even hinted before.

Secondly they've been releasing a game pretty much each year since the release of KH2, games that moved the story forward and intruduced new concepts and characters that honestly are more important to KH3's story then KH1 and KH2 will ever be.

You're not excited about it anymore that's fine, but don't use the time it has taken to come out as an excuse because honestly that's one weak excuse to use.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I haven't outgrown Disney. My kids love it. But I feel like I've outgrown Kingdom Hearts (and my kids HATE Kingdom Hearts, often because of the boring, Xehanort crap).

I had kind of hoped for a grown-up Sora, who also left the play world around him, but is drawn back in. Kind of like that Spielberg movie Hook, but...actually good.

You saying hook wasn't good? Lol

I played all the original KH games in addition to all the DS ones, BBS on PSP and CoM on Gameboy Advance when they were first released which is of course years ago, so by now I've forgotten the whole story. I'd been waiting for KH3 since KH2 which I played when I was like 13, and I'm 25 now.

I will certainly buy and play KH3 as I've played every other KH since I bought by first PS2 a million years ago, so it would be make me uncomfortable to just leave it like a cliffhanger, and the secret ending in DDD which was the only KH secret ending I managed to unlock myself (the rest I just youtubed), made me more curious about KH3.

I think KH3 can two ways. Either it goes FFXV style-> a crappy game with a million updates and DLC rubbish after being in years of development. Or a fantastic game that meets out expectations and ties up the saga nicely. I really hope for the later, especially after how bad FFXV was when we all waited so long for it. 

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

That’s good for you. But as someone who’s gotten tired of the same themes over and over in their Pixar films I have moved on to other things. 

I don’t have and probably will never have children.

Kingdom Hearts is sort of meh to me. Would like to try out the games, but I got too many games on my backlog. Especially all the PS Plus games I probably won’t even touch for many months to come.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:51 PM, Stargazer2600 said:

You saying hook wasn't good? Lol

I personally liked Hook, but it was savaged by critics, and probably with reason. But the idea of it was sound; I mean, Alan Moore has made a whole career off of the "time to grow up" idea for fairy tales/super heroes.

(I suppose someone could cite Bill Willingham, too, but I think his fairy tales still need to grow up some more. xD)

On 2/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, Stargazer2600 said:

I totally get where you are coming from. I was like this with FF15, that took years aswell to be released. My interest just totally fell flat on it and to this day i still haven't played 15 simply because it doesn't interest me anymore. I'm hoping this won't be the case with KH3. It's to be released this year according to the latest Japanese Expo 2018 trailer, but knowing Square they will just push it back again. 

Edited by EternalChaos72

On 2/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I had kind of hoped for a grown-up Sora, who also left the play world around him

This would actually be a really good idea. I would of loved that. Not to mention his VA is now 29 and has a much much deeper voice. Will be interesting to see how he maintains that teenage Sora voice.

Who knows though, apparently this KH will be the end of the current saga but not overall so hopefully in the future games (Probably released in around 2036 or something) we have a full on adult Sora.

59 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I personally liked Hook, but it was savaged by critics, and probably with reason. But the idea of it was sound; I mean, Alan Moore has made a whole career off of the "time to grow up" idea for fairy tales/super heroes.

(I suppose someone could cite Bill Willingham, too, but I think his fairy tales still need to grow up some more. xD)

growing up it was the only peter pan story I knew. Robin was solid and very serious when he needed to be. Not to mention Dustin Hoffman as Hook and the cameos by other stars like glenn close and gwyneth paltrow lol

40 minutes ago, XIRCHRAD- said:

(Probably released in around 2036 or something)

your that hopeful?  

50 minutes ago, XIRCHRAD- said:

This would actually be a really good idea. I would of loved that. Not to mention his VA is now 29 and has a much much deeper voice. Will be interesting to see how he maintains that teenage Sora voice.

Who knows though, apparently this KH will be the end of the current saga but not overall so hopefully in the future games (Probably released in around 2036 or something) we have a full on adult Sora.

I doubt it. Sora's story is about finding his friends, saving the world, returning home after saving it again. There's a heavy hook in his need to reunite with his friends. I can't see another game with Sora that doesn't have that emotional draw without repeating what's been done.

I don't need Sora to be an adult, it could be a bit of projecting on our parts, or we just think mature is better. Sora blends much more in the universe as a teenager that has yet to fully mature. His interactions with alien characters and his discoveries mean so much more to youth. As an adult, there'd be no growth, only a bit of change. And change in adults isn't always positive and for the good of the character.

Edited by KingdomxSouls
  • Like 2

Just now, KingdomxSouls said:

I doubt it. Sora's story is about finding his friends and saving the world, with a heavy hook in need to find his friends. I can't see another game with Sora that doesn't have that emotional draw without repeating what's been done.

I don't need Sora to be an adult, it could be a bit of projecting on our parts, or we just think mature is better. Sora blends much more in the universe as a teenager that has yet to fully mature. His interactions with alien characters and his discoveries mean so much more to youth. As an adult, there'd be no growth, only a bit of change. And change in adults isn't always positive and for the good of the character.

I see what you mean. I'm just like everyone else here though besides that my love for the series hasn't died as much. I've grown up and got more mature so it makes sense that I personally would say the more mature the better. I don't think KH is as kid like that people make out anyway really.

I just liked the idea for future games.