Is haptic feedback disappearing?

Zenpai

One thing I always liked back in the PS2 era games was their strong use of haptic feedback (AKA rumble, AKA vibration). It just really helped you to get immersed in the game you were playing. However, ever since the PS3 came out, the feature has been seeing less and less use. First, they started by toning it down, making the feedback weaker. And now, we've reached the point where some games just ditch it altogether. Even Dragon Ball FighterZ, a fighting game, has absolutely no support for it (hell, I had to check if I'd turned it off on my PS4 by accident!). Is haptic feedback dying just to save up on controller battery life?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

One thing I always liked back in the PS2 era games was their strong use of haptic feedback (AKA rumble, AKA vibration). It just really helped you to get immersed in the game you were playing. However, ever since the PS3 came out, the feature has been seeing less and less use. First, they started by toning it down, making the feedback weaker. And now, we've reached the point where some games just ditch it altogether. Even Dragon Ball FighterZ, a fighting game, has absolutely no support for it (hell, I had to check if I'd turned it off on my PS4 by accident!). Is haptic feedback dying just to save up on controller battery life?

I think you're in the minority these days (though, I'm right with you). Most people seem not to like the rumble function anymore.

Rumble is so last generation. :awesome:

But no, I'm right there with you. When used well, it can add a lot to a game, like making you actually feel a powerful attack or adding to the immersion. Like many others, I'll never forget that Psycho Mantis fight in the original Metal Gear Solid due in large part to the vibration of the DualShock. I'm actually quite surprised to see so many people say they don't even use it...

I hope one day I can well and truly say that "vibration is baaaack!". :giggle:

Spoiler

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Rumble is so last generation. :awesome:

But no, I'm right there with you. When used well, it can add a lot to a game, like making you actually feel a powerful attack or adding to the immersion. Like many others, I'll never forget that Psycho Mantis fight in the original Metal Gear Solid due in large part to the vibration of the DualShock. I'm actually quite surprised to see so many people say they don't even use it...

I hope one day I can well and truly say that "vibration is baaaack!". :giggle:

As someone that plays a lot of action games, vibration is something that really helps me feel the game all that much more. Shame that it seems to be losing fans, reading the comments...

• Like 1

Rumble was a thing with the Nintendo 64. There was a Rumble Pak you bought separately for your controller so games like Goldeneye 007 would rumble when you fired your gun. I don't remember it entirely, it's been a long time since I played on that console.

I'm surprised rumble has lasted as long as it has. It seemed that it would be a fad during the Nintendo 64 days but then Sony had the feature as well and that has lasted for over a decade.

Whenever I play PS3, I bust out the Sixaxis every time unless it's flat and I have to suck it up and use the heavy ass DualShock 3.

I turn vibration off on almost every game, I'm glad the Switch has the option to kill or enable it on a system level, never have to worry about pausing the thing and hunting through in-game menus.

• 4 weeks later...

I would play my PS3 more than once a year if it supported rumble with the DualShock 4. But it doesn’t and I can’t go back to the DualShock 3, so woe is me.

I love the rumble feature in everything, it doesn’t matter to me if it is meaningfully implemented, but I haven’t really noticed it changing for the worse either. HD Rumble on Nintendo Switch is amazing and I hope PlayStation and Xbox* borrow the feature in their future controllers.

*I never noticed Xbox One’s touted rumble differences to be honest, just rumble to me which I love so yay.

Edited by Zondares
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, Spaz said:

Rumble was a thing with the Nintendo 64. There was a Rumble Pak you bought separately for your controller so games like Goldeneye 007 would rumble when you fired your gun. I don't remember it entirely, it's been a long time since I played on that console.

I'm surprised rumble has lasted as long as it has. It seemed that it would be a fad during the Nintendo 64 days but then Sony had the feature as well and that has lasted for over a decade.

A rumble pak came with star fox 64 if you bought that game at least

8 minutes ago, AuzzieWingman said:

I don't turn it off but for the most part I don't even notice it. Handy if you're doing something else while waiting for something to happen in the game.

Pretty much this. Only time I notice it is if it's glitchy, I had one game where the rumble just kept going and going and going and I had to reboot the game to fix it. xP

Or if I put the controller down on the table during a cutscene and then it rumbles and scares the bajebus out of me.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 8:25 PM, N3xmach-ina said:

At least it feels more useful than the light on them DS4, let me turn it off completely!!! Now thatll save me some battery life.

Open the pad up and unplug it. Takes 2 minutes :) It's easy to tell which part so I wouldn't worry about breaking owt.