Is this the worst game ever made?

Quink666

30 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Have you played more than 2 games in your entire life? 

Wat. Knack 2 is better in almost every way imaginable. 

And what ways would that be? It had more platforming/puzzles which was nice, but it was a huge step down in terms of combat. It was a complete joke compared to the satisfying difficulty of the first game.

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Overrated?? By who, exactly? It was widely panned by critics and players like the OP when first released.

Nah, it was widely panned by salty Nintendo fanboys who couldn't cope with the fact that Knack outsold their precious Mario game when they released together, and their vitriolic hatred spread and now it's a meme. The fanboys succeeded, Mario's image is preserved while Knack's fell into ruin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

And what ways would that be? It had more platforming/puzzles which was nice, but it was a huge step down in terms of combat. It was a complete joke compared to the satisfying difficulty of the first game.

More content variety, time trials, the in chapter missions, better trophy design, better handling of the chests [even if friend's don't play there are "explorers" in a lot of them to let you have a choice], overall better combat.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Overrated?? By who, exactly? It was widely panned by critics and players like the OP when first released.

Nope. Most people who shit on the game at launch were parroting reviews. They never played it. And said reviews sounded like the played on easy for time constraints, which is a boring time tbh. They were overly harsh, it's at worst mediocre. The game should have simply been forgotten, rather than hated so hard and then become some meme because of a retarded YouTuber.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

I just have my Very hard run left to do. I played the companion app before starting, so I had about half the gadget parts and all but diamond knack and a few emeralds.

This let me start farming for diamonds by Ch 6. I had found one by luck earlier, and found an additional random one, so I did the reload trick as I went along to get the other 8, and was finished with all diamonds by Ch 12.

It probably added 5-6 hours to my playthrough, but it meant only one full Hard playthrough to get everything.

I don't see this being a bad game. The story was ok, the levels were varied and very beautiful, and the combat was ok. I certainly didn't find hard particularly difficult.

Yes, there were a few frustrating spots where the checkpoints were too spaced out. But there were lots of sunstones scattered around, so as long as you didn't waste your super powers, you rarely got stuck. Most of the time I had 3-4 power moves banked.

5/10 for difficulty max (unless Very Hard with Diamond Knack ends up being unexpectedly frustrating), with a very poorly designed loot structure, but otherwise a solid game IMO.

To answer your Knack 2 question, I didn’t like Knack 2 much at all. It just felt tacky , like they added qtes and such to it without much reason other to fit in. (And there’s lots of them) The other gameplay in it is okay though.

As for Knack being the worst game ever? Not even close. It’s a 6/10 for me. I enjoyed it for what it is. It’s nothing mind blowing or spectacular to me, but it’s also not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked both the knack games and got both of the platinum trophies. However if knack wasn't the only game I had for 2 months after ps4 launch I probably wouldn't of stuck it out for the platinum. But not the worst game ever.  That title world prob go to cheetahmen 2, Shaqfu, hotel mario, E.T., Bart vs the world, cavemen games or socket they were all damn near unplayable.

On 15.2.2018 at 8:03 PM, Quink666 said:

Horrible checkpoints, and when you die you dont get whatever sunstone energy you used up back.

So if you are at a hard part youre fucked with no way of getting more. 

No reload level or checkpoint option.

1 shot kill from everything, cant see how very hard will be any harder. 

When you are huge you still walk as slow as little Knack. dodge distance is non existent

The collectibles are by far the worst ive ever seen. Have aquired all 10 aqua marines but i still get them in chest? like wtf were they thinking?

No way of trading in gems you have plenty of. 

Atleast i got it from PS+ so i didnt waste any money on it.

Is Knack 2 any better or is it the same messy game?

I never played Knack, but I saw gameplay of it. And only from watching the gameplay, I can tell you  for sure that this game cant be as bad as Ride to Hell Retribution. Since I have the platinum i Ride to Hell, I really know what Im talking about.

Knack’s greatest sin is that it was so bland to me that I didn’t even want to play it. So I didn’t, and I probably never will. That’s not a quality judgement against Knack, just a setup to the fact that I paid actual money to play Superman 64 as a teenager.

If I could take it all back, I would. I’d gladly give Knack the chance it deserves to erase the memory and regret of Superman. But I can’t. So I won’t. Shame on me.

There exists legitimately terrible games in this world. I think we spend too much time and energy labeling anything and everything that we don’t like as the “worst”.

Edited by Zondares
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, smsnintendofan said:

Well, it did only go on to sell 3 copies.

Pretty sure it sold over a million with the Japanese PS4 bundles helping push sales.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, SeniorRicketts said:

you see guys this is what we get when japanese make platformers they can make any games but not platformers

Nintendo, Japan Studio made Puppeteer which is amazing, Sega arguably [Ristar ftw].

On 15.2.2018 at 8:03 PM, Quink666 said:

Horrible checkpoints, and when you die you dont get whatever sunstone energy you used up back.

So if you are at a hard part youre fucked with no way of getting more. 

No reload level or checkpoint option.

1 shot kill from everything, cant see how very hard will be any harder. 

When you are huge you still walk as slow as little Knack. dodge distance is non existent

The collectibles are by far the worst ive ever seen. Have aquired all 10 aqua marines but i still get them in chest? like wtf were they thinking?

No way of trading in gems you have plenty of. 

Atleast i got it from PS+ so i didnt waste any money on it.

Is Knack 2 any better or is it the same messy game?

What? No

Concerning the checkpoints: you realize that you keep the sun energy you've collected so that the more you try a certain spot and fail, the more likely it will be that you can use your "supers", because this energy isn't lost until you use it.

The game is all about timing, you can't brute-force through this game. 

The secret doors are hard to find, but there is a tool to find them.

Also, if you get a collectible you already have, you can always pick another item one of your friends found in that chest.

I found Knack actually pretty cool when I played it at the PS4 launch and I didn't regret buying it at launch.

Edited by OrbitSurfer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having played through most of the game now, I have to say it was actually really good. Granted, it sucks having to play through the game multiple times, checkpoint interval can feel cruel, and farming diamonds is no fun, but there are a lot of positives that I think other games could learn from:

• All cut scenes are skippable -  makes the multiple playthroughs bearable
  • Loading times are minimal
  • Being able to pick treasure chest rewards from friends is a cool feature - but should have included diamonds!
  • Difficulty adjustment is pretty good - my son was able to beat it on easy/normal, and I found hard to be pretty challenging (very hard with diamond knack was easy)
  • Combat is generally pretty smooth and quick
  • I like the mechanic of being small and having to fight carefully and then getting huge and crushing everything
  • The super moves let you get through any part of the game with ease, so if you're stuck just farm some sunstones and off you go; complaining that your sunstone energy doesn't get saved at checkpoints really misses the point of this mechanic as it's basically a get out of jail free card for almost every part of the game

Overall, I found it really solid and decently fun, despite a few flaws. Just my two cents.

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1

On 27.3.2018 at 8:18 PM, RNumbers said:

The super moves let you get through any part of the game with ease, so if you're stuck just farm some sunstones and off you go; complaining that your sunstone energy doesn't get saved at checkpoints really misses the point of this mechanic as it's basically a get out of jail free card for almost every part of the game

Overall, I found it really solid and decently fun, despite a few flaws. Just my two cents.

But there are situations with not enough sunstone energy to farm before a fight. It's not that I didn't like the game or I think it is too hard but I can see the flaw in that specific term. I mean I always tried to collect as much sunstone energy as possible for the more difficult fights but sometimes it still happens that you die. Everything I used is now gone and the next try is even harder than before and retrying it over and over to get AGAIN enough energy shouldn't be the way to go. This is just a bad gameplay decision and not how Checkpoints should work. As a skilled gamer you will move on eventually but for a kid even on easy difficulty it can be a big disadvantage. At least my 2 Cents :)

8 hours ago, Savyna said:

But there are situations with not enough sunstone energy to farm before a fight. It's not that I didn't like the game or I think it is too hard but I can see the flaw in that specific term. I mean I always tried to collect as much sunstone energy as possible for the more difficult fights but sometimes it still happens that you die. Everything I used is now gone and the next try is even harder than before and retrying it over and over to get AGAIN enough energy shouldn't be the way to go. This is just a bad gameplay decision and not how Checkpoints should work. As a skilled gamer you will move on eventually but for a kid even on easy difficulty it can be a big disadvantage. At least my 2 Cents :)

It's not a perfect system, and to really take advantage of it you need the gadget that lets you collect sunstone energy from defeated enemies. And even so, there was a non-combat portion in the game that didn't allow me to refill sunstone energy to pass it easily when I blew my one shot (running from the relic stealing eye-beam during a portion of my very hard run). But still, I like the feeling of being able to grind out just about any fight if I don't have the skill/patience to do it "properly."

Details of the specific implementation aside, I wish more games would give a similar option.

Edited by RNumbers

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't go that far to call it the worst game. I've played worse than this. However, of all the PS4 launch titles I've played so far (Knack, Resogun and Killzone Shadow Fall), this is the weakest one. The main thing I really dislike is the checkpoint system. It's very annoying at times. I'm also not fond to all RNG when it comes to getting every gadget and gemstone. Other than that, it's an OK game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Worst game ever made? Far from it honestly.

I have played far worse even on the PS4 that could get closer to taking that crown, like "Joes Diner", "Pineview Drive" or "Agony" even comes to mind.

Controls seem fluid enough and the action is OK, nothing to light the world on fire. I would call this a mediocre platformer maybe at least from my play so far. Though to be fair I play bad games sometimes on purpose as I find them often very funny or amusing for how bad they are, makes me appreciate better games far more. I have the mentality of if you only play the best of the best and don't throw in a few stinkers occasionally you lose some appreciation for the better games as it becomes the normal :P 

Edited by kouen2010
  • Like 1