Good tv for ps4 pro?

UlvenFenrir

My friend recommended me Sony Bravia KD49XE8004 49 inch TV on a budget.

But i also had my eyes on this one: LG 55" 4K UHD OLED Smart TV OLED55B7V

the input lag for the B7 is 21ms and ive only heard good things about it. Some say that with oled if you have prolonged gaming sessions make the screen burn like plasmas but i dont know if thats really an issue or not.

obviously the b7 is twice the cost of the sony bravia if not a bit more.

what do you guys think would be best with the ps4 pro? Or any other recommendations is fine too.

If you can find a samsung KS8000 (8500 if you like curved) I'd get that. It's a 2016 model and still one of the best gaming TV's.

Overall, you can't get better than an OLED in terms of refresh rate and overall contrast/picture quality. If you don't mind the slight input lag and have the cash to shell out for an OLED, that'd be the best possible picture- I've gamed on an OLED in the past and had no issues with the image burn in. 

Personally, I've been using a Sony 900e- it's comparable to the OLED but, if you're looking between a B7 and a 800e- get the OLED if you can afford it. 

7 minutes ago, EternalChaos72 said:

I refuse point blank to buy an LG TV since the backlight burnt out on my 50'. Will never buy from that company again, It only lasted me 3 years. Defintely go for the Sony TV.

My current one is a lg plasma. Ive had it for about 5 years i think and never had an issue. Will take it into consideration of course about the oled.

1 minute ago, KillerUni12 said:

If you can find a samsung KS8000 (8500 if you like curved) I'd get that. It's a 2016 model and still one of the best gaming TV's.

Overall, you can't get better than an OLED in terms of refresh rate and overall contrast/picture quality. If you don't mind the slight input lag and have the cash to shell out for an OLED, that'd be the best possible picture- I've gamed on an OLED in the past and had no issues with the image burn in. 

Personally, I've been using a Sony 900e- it's comparable to the OLED but, if you're looking between a B7 and a 800e- get the OLED if you can afford it. 

Thanks for your reply. Will give it some thought.

• Like 1

Input lag?  come on guys... that's not even a thing.  You have 4K HD LED screens, you're in the golden age of televisions.  If you can't do something in a game it's not due to a TV, it's skill. 

Mass consumerism will have you chasing the most expensive toys, you don't need them. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

If you can wait a couple of years, I think you should wait and see what amazing improvements is done on the OLED front. OLED gives amazing picture quality. I got mainly two issues with LG OLED C7. How it handles motion when the input isn't high enough frame rate and the resolution is too low etc, and banding (google it). Higher refresh rates might fix the former issue. The TV has a lot of motion handling options though. People are also waiting for a new HDMI standard with variable frame rate or whatever. Yes, I own a C7, and that's like a small step-up from B7. Got C7 for less than what B7 costs though. Worked great with the PS4.

Edited by MMDE

55 minutes ago, MMDE said:

If you can wait a couple of years, I think you should wait and see what amazing improvements is done on the OLED front. OLED gives amazing picture quality. I got mainly two issues with LG OLED C7. How it handles motion when the input isn't high enough frame rate and the resolution is too low etc, and banding (google it). Higher refresh rates might fix the former issue. The TV has a lot of motion handling options though. People are also waiting for a new HDMI standard with variable frame rate or whatever. Yes, I own a C7, and that's like a small step-up from B7. Got C7 for less than what B7 costs though. Worked great with the PS4.

This is one of the biggest reasons I haven't bought a PS4 Pro yet. There's really no point having one if you don't have a 4K TV/monitor to pair it up with as far as I'm concerned. In a couple of years I think you're spot on about the advances in OLED tech, not to mention all the other bells and whistles that'll be around by then. Besides it's not like the next iteration of the PlayStation will be announced, much less released anytime soon. So no rush here!

Regarding brands, I've always had a preference for Sony due to a combination of reliability, aesthetics and performance. I think it terms of raw picture quality (blacks, contrast, shadow detail, colour palette, mosquito noise etc), especially if you're a film fanatic, there are better options out there. Having said that, these days you can calibrate most well known brands to your exact preferences.

A lot of people overlook sound because they may have a dedicated sound system, but it's worth taking into consideration if your budget and/or living space can't accommodate this.

Edited by Zolkovo

29 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

This is one of the biggest reasons I haven't bought a PS4 Pro yet. There's really no point having one if you don't have a 4K TV/monitor to pair it up with as far as I'm concerned. In a couple of years I think you're spot on about the advances in OLED tech, not to mention all the other bells and whistles that'll be around by then. Besides it's not like the next iteration of the PlayStation will be announced, much less released anytime soon. So no rush here! Regarding brands, I've always had a preference for Sony due to a combination of reliability, aesthetics and performance.

Sony's current OLED screens are made by LG. In a way it's no "true" OLED either, it's just a lot of white OLEDs, not WRGB. The other companies tried to develop with multiple colors, but it just became too expensive to make and they couldn't make it reliably functional etc. Just the fact that it's OLED means the pixels can be turned off. Like when the screen goes black in a scene, and the TV is actually told it's black (and not just near black due to it making no difference on LCD), it gets so black you can't tell the difference between if the TV is turned off or is just displaying black. Try to do the same on your LCD. You'll see it's on. Just can't see that on OLED, because the lights are actually turned off. This makes for some amazing scenes when you watch a night scene with some kind of light. Everything in general looks so sharp... except for when it's moving, because as I said, it doesn't handle low quality motion all that well. You see the low quality motion all too well. As I said, the TV has plenty of motion options, so you can adjust it the way you want it. 10 settings of de-judder and de-blur, which can also be turned off. And it also has it's own "no lag" settings for gaming and PC etc. Yes, it has HDR, but I don't use it. Not that much that is optimized for it all that well. PS4 supports it though. If you think a scene gets too dark, which it might feel like at first when going from LCD to OLED, there's plenty of options and settings around that. You can make it look like an LCD, which doesn't really look that good TBH. You can also control the actual light coming out of the TV, which is useful for when you want to watch it with a lot of light around you. I recommend keeping it rather low though. Got from 0 to 100, but mine usually stands on like 6-12. Probably better for your eyes, but also makes the TV last longer. Because yes, with so many small lights this TV got, and they're not all giving out the same amount of light all the time, some will get "tired" faster than others. This would make "burn ins", where you can see icons whatever you watch, because some of the lights have been used so static and differently than the rest of the dynamic image. The TV does have options to fix this, and I think it does some of this from time to time when you turn it off. Also options that you don't notice that reduce this happening while you use it. I've not noticed any of it, and I've used it a lot in the last few months. The TV is supposed to last a heck lot of time, but who knows tbh, they certainly can't test that with the TVs being so young. If it last just fine for 7+ years, I'm happy. :) But supposed to last several times that.

Edited by MMDE

2 hours ago, EternalChaos72 said:

I refuse point blank to buy an LG TV since the backlight burnt out on my 50'. Will never buy from that company again, It only lasted me 3 years. Defintely go for the Sony TV.

This, my LG has to stay on 24/7. When I shut it off and turn it back on half the screen is dead and just a black screen. It takes me hitting it on the corner or wait an hour for it to fix itself. 

Stay away from LG. Even my old LG phone was bad and kept resetting itself. 

• Like 1

I personally have had fine experiences with LG and Samsung (never had a Sony TV or product besides PS stuff), but the best TV is really up to what you're aiming for. Higher end TVs of the same generation tend to have higher input lag than lower end ones, probably due to image processing.

If you want something cheap and low input lag, try something like TCL s405 at 15ms input lag (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405). If you're aiming for picture quality and HDR, well I guess I would need to know your goals and budget to help you with that. Just remember, OLED is just a technology to get you better picture and color, but just because a TV has such technology doesn't mean it actually has better picture and color.

• 4 months later...