Why Valkyria Revolution is poisonous to the franchise moving forward.

SonicMTD

SEGA really dropped the ball on this one. There were was too many problems to fully save the project and as a result I really have to ask:

If you replace the name Valkyria with Witch, change the continent name and then rename Ragnite, does Valkyria Revolution turn into another half assed, and uninspired JRPG? I ask this because there is nothing in this game that really ties the series together.

It's time for a deep dive ladies and gentlemen and I want to know your opinions.

Actual critique begins at the 1 minute mark.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Revolution is a spin off. It was never meant to be a main entry into the series.

By flying it under the Valkyria brand you kinda have no choice but to compare it to the previous games though. Even without thinking about the Valkyria franchise, it still doesn't change how mediocre and focus tested this game feels.

It's really a shame because I know Valkyria Revolution could have been better. It's just disappointing.

Edited by SonicMTD
Gramatical Error

5 minutes ago, n100kater said:

The gameplay is oke. 

The story was fun but in the end a bit short on answers. It fun for 1 gameplay after that sale it. Got the game for 40 euro that still to high.

Be glad you didn't do what I did and bought the collectors edition... came with a Vanargand pin and an OST that didn't contain all the songs in the game.

Not a wise financial investment. :facepalm:

Edited by SonicMTD

18 minutes ago, SonicMTD said:

By flying it under the Valkyria brand you kinda have no choice but to compare it to the previous games though. Even without thinking about the Valkyria franchise, it still doesn't change how mediocre and focus tested this game feels.

It's really a shame because I know Valkyria Revolution could have been better. It's just disappointing.

That's just how spin offs are. Assuming that it's going to have an impact on the future of the series is a pretty wild assumption lol. When Kingdom Hearts CoM came out I didn't think "oh no, the series is gonna be a card game from now on". It's just the nature of the beast.

8 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

That's just how spin offs are. Assuming that it's going to have an impact on the future of the series is a pretty wild assumption lol. When Kingdom Hearts CoM came out I didn't think "oh no, the series is gonna be a card game from now on". It's just the nature of the beast.

I like to factor in how each addition to a franchise affects its overall personal growth. If a developer puts out a mediocre product that the public doesn't like, a publisher  might mistakenly think the audience doesn't care for the franchise and end up stunting it's growth. 

I think your point is completely valid however in the world of big budget development money talks.

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I can't bring myself to play it. It's a shame too, because VC is one of my favorite games of all time.

This was a game that honestly caused me to lose motivation multiple times. If it wasn't for the fact I had it scheduled for review, I wouldn't have continued.

I would recommend you stick with the original/HD remaster. 

That being said, I still like to hold out hope for the next installation of the franchise... Only this time I'm going to wait for it to drop down in price. 

Edited by SonicMTD

Never played Revolution, and I'm sure it's a disappointing game and all, but I think calling it 'poisonous' to the franchise moving forward is a bit of a stretch. It's just a spin-off, and the game didn't sell nearly as well as the other games. Not to mention that Chronicles 4 is coming out this year, and it looks much more similar to the original series than the spin-off.

1 minute ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Never played Revolution, and I'm sure it's a disappointing game and all, but I think calling it 'poisonous' to the franchise moving forward is a bit of a stretch. It's just a spin-off, and the game didn't sell nearly as well as the other games. Not to mention that Chronicles 4 is coming out this year, and it looks much more similar to the original series than the spin-off.

When you put out a bad product to the world it can have a ripple effect. If SEGA learns from their mistake and continues to push through with quality content I have no complaints. 

I'm not going to weigh in on something that I haven't played yet. All I can hope is that the next instalment will revitalize the franchise.

I get what you're trying to say, and this game was extremely different from chronicles. After beating it and putting a good amount of time into it, the differences only made me want the actual Valkyria Chronicles series. Storywise between this and chronicles was like comparing the current Avengers movies to the Justice League movie. It was definitely a parallel universe and any hope I had of it being just as good as VC evaporated after the first hour. Gameplay is simple if you have an understanding of the skills and realized early on that guns and grenades mean squat. It was a complete 180 from VC since melee attacks/skills were the fastest way to deal any damage as opposed to VC where cover, strategy, guns and grenades meant something. The only things Valkyria about this game is the art, some story lore and weapons. They tried to do something different, which is respectable and now I hope they know now to deviate from the master plan. I bought my copy for 15 dollars about 6 weeks after release, possibly less time than that. So...poisonous? Maybe. Half-assed? Oh yeah. A yearning for redemption in a the actual series? Definitely. For the record I also would not play it again or recommend it to a friend, go play the remaster instead. I still support the franchise even though this game seemed to put my soul into a mindless dimension where I was only able to play it just because I had it and not because I wanted to. Excited for VC4, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XxLacunaCoilxX said:

I actually liked the game, I thought it was fun for the most part and I enjoyed the story. It did get repetitive at time and one glaring issue is the Valkyria herself, do her boobs have to be that damn huge, comeone guys, like really!!

If they were any bigger she'd use them as melee weapons... It's kind of upsetting considering that she's merely possessing the body of her host and last time I checked she wasn't a G-Cup.

1 minute ago, undefinedmike said:

I get what you're trying to say, and this game was extremely different from chronicles. After beating it and putting a good amount of time into it, the differences only made me want the actual Valkyria Chronicles series. Storywise between this and chronicles was like comparing the current Avengers movies to the Justice League movie. It was definitely a parallel universe and any hope I had of it being just as good as VC evaporated after the first hour. Gameplay is simple if you have an understanding of the skills and realized early on that guns and grenades mean squat. It was a complete 180 from VC since melee attacks/skills were the fastest way to deal any damage as opposed to VC where cover, strategy, guns and grenades meant something. The only things Valkyria about this game is the art, some story lore and weapons. They tried to do something different, which is respectable and now I hope they know now to deviate from the master plan. I bought my copy for 15 dollars about 6 weeks after release, possibly less time than that. So...poisonous? Maybe. Half-assed? Oh yeah. A yearning for redemption in a the actual series? Definitely. For the record I also would not play it again or recommend it to a friend, go play the remaster instead. I still support the franchise even though this game seemed to put my soul into a mindless dimension where I was only able to play it just because I had it and not because I wanted to. Excited for VC4, though.

My strategy for this game essentially boiled down to stockpiling smoke grenades and then wiping everyone out. 

Other than that there was no tactics really for this game. Hell the upgrades system was f**king awful!

The storyline could have been better if it was under a better writer. There needed to be some subversion of the established cliches of this genre. Everything was shiny and happy despite the fact the tone was dark and bleak.

It's not wrong thinking that this game is a blemish on the franchise. So long as SEGA learns from it's mistake, then it won't be the nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SonicMTD said:

If they were any bigger she'd use them as melee weapons... It's kind of upsetting considering that she's merely possessing the body of her host and last time I checked she wasn't a G-Cup.

My strategy for this game essentially boiled down to stockpiling smoke grenades and then wiping everyone out. 

Other than that there was no tactics really for this game. Hell the upgrades system was f**king awful!

The storyline could have been better if it was under a better writer. There needed to be some subversion of the established cliches of this genre. Everything was shiny and happy despite the fact the tone was dark and bleak.

It's not wrong thinking that this game is a blemish on the franchise. So long as SEGA learns from it's mistake, then it won't be the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, I didn't even use smoke grenades I just mowed everyone down with that elemental sword combo after buffing my attack and speed. I found myself skipping the cutscenes half way through because the story wasn't engaging enough. Also, the main character looked like he hadn't slept for 72 hours or had bad allergies. I agree on that upgrade system. Upgrading everything equipment-wise was useless, except maybe armor I guess and the wannabe FFX sphere grid system was just unnecessary. Fortunately, if you hated this game enough you could always go back to the first VC, which will always be great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, undefinedmike said:

Yeah, I didn't even use smoke grenades I just mowed everyone down with that elemental sword combo after buffing my attack and speed. I found myself skipping the cutscenes half way through because the story wasn't engaging enough. Also, the main character looked like he hadn't slept for 72 hours or had bad allergies. I agree on that upgrade system. Upgrading everything equipment-wise was useless, except maybe armor I guess and the wannabe FFX sphere grid system was just unnecessary. Fortunately, if you hated this game enough you could always go back to the first VC, which will always be great.

Earlier in my first season I reviewed the HD Remaster. It does have minor flaws but is still a fantastic game. :3 

• Like 1

Saying the game is "poisonous" to the franchise kind of implies it's going to have a negative effect on the future games in the series, but with the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles 4, I don't see how that's the case at all... Plenty of great game franchises have a dud or two, but there have been many examples of later entries in the series being excellent, and maybe even better than everything that came before it. And like people have already mentioned, Valkyria Revolution is a spin-off, not a main entry in the series. They usually try something different from the main formula, so they're normally hit or miss.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, XxLacunaCoilxX said:

I actually liked the game, I thought it was fun for the most part and I enjoyed the story. It did get repetitive at time and one glaring issue is the Valkyria herself, do her boobs have to be that damn huge, comeone guys, like really!!

Well, Valkyria tends to push overboobed characters since Selv /shrug.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami