Can't connect. At all.

XAGMNINETY

Just forced shutdown your PS3 if that happens and try again, or if you're patience enough just wait for the error to pop up and that usually will take around 5-10 minutes for the error to show up and try connecting again. This is the norm now. 

I had this too. I had never connected before and it stalled on the part where it tries to retrieve the regions. Restarting the PS3 didn't help. I had to wait a day to finally connect and then I stomped out as many of the trophies that I could. I advise you do the same once you are able to connect.

I had a similar connection problem with the game stuck on empty region select screen, then Error 20000 showing (wired connection). Turned out, the game was trying to load the external user agreement form and since it couldn't pop for some reason, I couldn't connect. I tried loading the game on another console using Wi-Fi connection and it worked properly - the user agreement popped. After that the issue was gone on the main console as well and I connected just fine.