Dead Space 3 worth buying?

jmh4manu

Hi everyone!

I was wondering whether dead space 3 is worth getting, i was a huge fan of the first two games and really like the survival horror genre, I thought the first two games were very scary as well!

But i heard from a couple of friends and reviews and such, that it's become a lot more of an action game and involves you having a co-op partner much like resident evil 5 did, I was not the biggest fan of resident 5 being a die hard resident evil fan, so is dead space not scary anymore and has it turned into a more call of duty blast everything on the screen game? If this is the case is it still worth buying anyway?

Also if anyone knows anywhere cheap to buy the game or rent in the U.K let me know please, as i'm a student and spend all my money on food and alcohol :D thanks

when it comes to Dead Space I get tunnel vision. so I would say yes. as much as I personally might think the ending was a let down I love da game story mechanics and all. if I had to pick a video game character to be I would be Issac Clack. DS3, love it. get it. play co-op with Me. :highfive:

• Like 1

As a big fan of the series I would say yes, it's definitely worth getting. It has no doubt moved away from pure survival horror, there is a lot less emphasis on dismemberment and tactical usage of stasis and kinesis as you just blast necromorphs into oblivion with a huge variety of powerful crafted weapons. The game is incredibly easy on standard and even higher difficulties compared to the previous games, because you're constantly swimming in a sea of universal ammo and medpacks. That is my biggest problem with the game. But the special difficulties still offer a decent challenge, if you're looking for it.

Co-op is not mandatory, the game does a great job at offering you a great single player version of the story if you want the 'classic' DS experience. That being said, co-op is a lot of fun and enhances the story by throwing in extra missions and story tidbits involving John Carver.

It's definitely nothing like Call of Duty - for all intents and purposes this is still Dead Space. It's not as scary as DS1&2 - they completely moved away from the psychological aspects and the paranoia of DS2 for instance. They removed save stations and have checkpoints that take away a lot of the tension. Ammo conservation and inventory management is a non-issue. And the overall tone and storyline are much 'lighter'. If DS1 and 2 are ALIEN, DS3 is definitely ALIENS, if you know what I mean :) It's not pure sci-fi horror anymore, more like dark sci-fi, with a much broader scope.

Also, the campaign is 20 hours long and there's tons of modes, collectables and overall replay value. It's a great game all in all, but I really hope that this is as far as their 'streamlining' of the series goes.

• Like 3

dead space 1, scary horror, dead space 2, gross horror, dead space 3, all action, but that is not a bad thing, while i wish it was horror, this one is the best gameplay wise, you can create and customize guns, it's the easiest of the 3, coop is only mandatory if u want the platinum, even then u can get all the coop trophies in 2 hours tops, don't miss this game,it's great, hopefully the 4th is action horror.

While I think it was a decent game, I feel that you should read Simula67's review on it...though there are some spoilers I should warn you!  If you are up to it...here is the link:  https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/187-most-recent-platinum/page-71#entry97743

I personally tried to just enjoy it and not go in with a closed mind.  It's definitely strayed away from DS 1 and 2 by a lot (non specific ammo, rolling, lack of dismemberment, etc.) but I still enjoyed it for what it was.  :)  

I say pick it up.  If you're a Dead Space fan, you'll probably enjoy it. 

• Like 1

it's not my favourite dead space game, but it'still good nonetheless. no you don't have to have a co Op partner at all, it's not like resident evil where the character is controller by AI, he just isn't present apart from cutscenes which have been altered for the single player experience.

While I think it was a decent game, I feel that you should read Simula67's review on it...though there are some spoilers I should warn you!  If you are up to it...here is the link:  https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/187-most-recent-platinum/page-71#entry97743

I personally tried to just enjoy it and not go in with a closed mind.  It's definitely strayed away from DS 1 and 2 by a lot (non specific ammo, rolling, lack of dismemberment, etc.) but I still enjoyed it for what it was.   :)

I say pick it up.  If you're a Dead Space fan, you'll probably enjoy it. 

just as when it hit Me and I was coming to set U in the rite direction, I see dartprophet has beat Me to it. this rite here is good advise. Simula67's blog covers alot, and yes, there are more than enough spoilers in it. so thread carefully.

• Like 1

It is a great game! I enjoyed the co-op more than the single player... Nice to share the scare with a buddy!

I agree with you. Co-op is more fun than single player. Now that I have a platinum, I still go to Co-op to help people out and generally just enjoy the game. 

• 4 years later...
On 23 March 2013 at 0:20 PM, CloudyMemory2 said:

As a big fan of the series I would say yes, it's definitely worth getting. It has no doubt moved away from pure survival horror, there is a lot less emphasis on dismemberment and tactical usage of stasis and kinesis as you just blast necromorphs into oblivion with a huge variety of powerful crafted weapons. The game is incredibly easy on standard and even higher difficulties compared to the previous games, because you're constantly swimming in a sea of universal ammo and medpacks. That is my biggest problem with the game. But the special difficulties still offer a decent challenge, if you're looking for it.

Co-op is not mandatory, the game does a great job at offering you a great single player version of the story if you want the 'classic' DS experience. That being said, co-op is a lot of fun and enhances the story by throwing in extra missions and story tidbits involving John Carver.

It's definitely nothing like Call of Duty - for all intents and purposes this is still Dead Space. It's not as scary as DS1&2 - they completely moved away from the psychological aspects and the paranoia of DS2 for instance. They removed save stations and have checkpoints that take away a lot of the tension. Ammo conservation and inventory management is a non-issue. And the overall tone and storyline are much 'lighter'. If DS1 and 2 are ALIEN, DS3 is definitely ALIENS, if you know what I mean :) It's not pure sci-fi horror anymore, more like dark sci-fi, with a much broader scope.

Also, the campaign is 20 hours long and there's tons of modes, collectables and overall replay value. It's a great game all in all, but I really hope that this is as far as their 'streamlining' of the series goes.

In dead space 3 can u play the whole game in co op or just the selected missions? Info would be great also with EA they always tend to cut there servers off pretty quick do u no if there still up, info would be awesome cheers pal.

20 minutes ago, afc-razor-84 said:

In dead space 3 can u play the whole game in co op or just the selected missions? Info would be great also with EA they always tend to cut there servers off pretty quick do u no if there still up, info would be awesome cheers pal.

If you go for the platinum, you have to play in co-op as there's areas with collectibles that are only accessible in co-op. Not only that, but there's a trophy for helping carver with his nightmares which requires doing all of the co-op areas. You can play either the whole game in co-op or just the selected levels, but your partner has to be at the same progress as you to join. 

• Like 1

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

If you go for the platinum, you have to play in co-op as there's areas with collectibles that are only accessible in co-op. Not only that, but there's a trophy for helping carver with his nightmares which requires doing all of the co-op areas. You can play either the whole game in co-op or just the selected levels, but your partner has to be at the same progress as you to join. 

So in other words if we both beat it in solo then we can use chapter select to boost and return to the missions with the co op doors in and then start the missions for co op to grab collectibles side quests and other co op releted trophies? and are the carver nightmares in the co op only mission parts? Also thanks again for the info. I thought u could only play solo apart from them co op doors I didn't think u could from start to finish.

24 minutes ago, afc-razor-84 said:

So in other words if we both beat it in solo then we can use chapter select to boost and return to the missions with the co op doors in and then start the missions for co op to grab collectibles side quests and other co op releted trophies? and are the carver nightmares in the co op only mission parts? Also thanks again for the info. I thought u could only play solo apart from them co op doors I didn't think u could from start to finish.

Yeah, they're in the co-op only areas, it's easier just to play from start to finish in co-op doing all of the collectibles and side missions together, however if you don't have the option, you can always do chapter select. It should be noted the dlc epilogue has a co-op trophy too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 August 2017 at 8:29 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Yeah, they're in the co-op only areas, it's easier just to play from start to finish in co-op doing all of the collectibles and side missions together, however if you don't have the option, you can always do chapter select. It should be noted the dlc epilogue has a co-op trophy too

There isn't a online pass? I'm pretty sure the servers ain't down because dead space 2s are still up? 

On 23 August 2017 at 0:46 AM, SnowxSakura said:

There is, but the online pass was made free to download after EA discontinued the practice, so anyone can play it online used copy or not. 

Yeah I found it but I'm playing offline first so I can use the Devils horn glitch for hardcore and pure survival.