The Crash Bandicoot Placebo Effect

Sir-Syzygy

I'd say it's about the same difficulty as the original. I played a little of the PS1 classics right before I got the game for Christmas, and I swore as much then constantly dying as I do now. 

For those who are good at bare-boned platformers, rhythm games, timing, angling, perception, CB physics, etc. WILL find this game easier and more enjoyable than others. Right now, I'm struggling to just beat levels. Period. Forget the time trials, I'm having difficulty beating the game! I can't get through most levels without a game over screen 2-3 times... 

Do I suck? Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it. But the game really isn't very forgiving. The game has a lot of jumps that if you are slightly off on your timing, you're dead. THAT'S what makes this game hard. Not because we are over thinking it because we believe the perception of it is hard, therefore, it's hard.

2 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

It's artificially harder due to some shitty hit detection in some areas, and sliding off of flat platforms. Not sure if they ever patched it. At least in the first game.

No, I've slid off of so many platforms! Haha!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd say it's about the same difficulty as the original. I played a little of the PS1 classics right before I got the game for Christmas, and I swore as much then constantly dying as I do now. 

For those who are good at bare-boned platformers, rhythm games, timing, angling, perception, CB physics, etc. WILL find this game easier and more enjoyable than others. Right now, I'm struggling to just beat levels. Period. Forget the time trials, I'm having difficulty beating the game! I can't get through most levels without a game over screen 2-3 times... 

Do I suck? Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it. But the game really isn't very forgiving. The game has a lot of jumps that if you are slightly off on your timing, you're dead. THAT'S what makes this game hard. Not because we are over thinking it because we believe the perception of it is hard, therefore, it's hard.

No, I've slid off of so many platforms! Haha!

Thank you for giving a relevant response that actually adds to the topic. I understand what you're saying, I may not find the game any harder than a standard platforming title, but it's making sense why so many seem to struggle with Crash.

• Like 2

When I played Crash back in PS1 era only the first one was actually difficult, just because the game didn't save any crate progress at checkpoint during the level, so you had to beat it without dying in order to achieve a gem. 

The 2017 remake is difficult to many players because they actually changed how Crash's hitbox is shaped, from a squared box to a much more slippery "egg". So, if you do not land precisely on a platform you will fall off. Always.

Still, the real challenge in the game are time attacks, but...I don't know. Every time I achieve a plat I feel like it didn't require as much skill as it required patience. I think it's the key to almost every plat.

• Like 2

I personally think most games that get a remake or remaster from a past generation tend to be overall easier because we're so used to getting our hand held these days.

I grew up at a time when a lot of games still had to be done in one go. Lose all your lives, it's game over, you start all the way from the beginning. Basically what the Mein Leben trophy in Wolfenstein II has you doing, you die once, it's all the way to the start with the beginning cutscenes. And yet people petitioned against it, because they complained they simply didn't have the time to get good. I'm sorry but that was one of the most pathetic and poorest excuses I heard in a long time.

A good majority of people who have the Crash trilogy played it during their childhoods. I was a Nintendo kid, I was never given a Playstation 1 growing up so I missed out on all the Crash games, Twisted Metal games and Spyro games. I played the platinumed the trilogy and while good, it was annoying with the pill hitbox detection and Crash having the tendency to slip off of edges of platforms. Still, wasn't anything too terribly difficult, and was piss easy compared to Super Meat Boy.

Those platinum relics however are difficult. If the developers required us to earn all platinum relics for all three games, you're looking at a pretty tough trophy list. Respect to gamers who have all platinum relics, even though they're fully optional.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 0:10 PM, DARKB1KE said:

Devs already confirmed it would be a harder game with faster refresh rate/fps than what people played in the past.

https://www.gamesradar.com/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-devs-confirm-it-may-add-challenge-you-werent-expecting-but-theyre-sure-you-can-do-it/ 

http://bfy.tw/GeVf

@DARKB1KE That's not relevant to this topic.

To address the original topic by @Crispy78923: I had a go at the N-sane remakes at a friends house and I too felt it was a lot easier than what I had heard about the game. 

5 hours ago, Rusty2366 said:

@DARKB1KE That's not relevant to this topic.

To address the original topic by @Crispy78923: I had a go at the N-sane remakes at a friends house and I too felt it was a lot easier than what I had heard about the game. 

He asked if it was a placebo effect.  The response is no, it's not a placebo... straight from the devs. 

I don't know how to make this any clearer.  If you can't see common sense then nothing can help you. 

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 4

On 3/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, DARKB1KE said:

He asked if it was a placebo effect.  The response is no, it's not a placebo... straight from the devs. 

I don't know how to make this any clearer.  If you can't see common sense then nothing can help you. 

I keep trying to explain to you that I'm not inquiring about what the developers said, I'm asking what your personal experience was. 

I already had your posts removed once before due to hostile behaviour and irrelevant responses. Please don't make me do it again, I don't enjoy having to get the site moderators to remove you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

My responses were not hostile in any way.  I'm sorry you do not like my responses but it is a public forum open for discussion.  Reporting and blocking something you don't like is censorship.

My personal experience doesn't exist because I've never played Crash, that's why I posted a dev response which actually confirms your thread topic. 

Why were you're old posts removed if they weren't hostile? The moderators made the decision to remove them. Please read the guidelines and rules for this site (psnprofiles.com), your posts were removed due to your violation of those rules. 

In relation to your second statement, if you have no personal experience with the game then your reply is irrelevant to this thread (which is a violation of the site's guidelines). I suggest you read the site guidelines found here:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Crispy78923 said:

Why were you're old posts removed if they weren't hostile? The moderators made the decision to remove them. Please read the guidelines and rules for this site (psnprofiles.com), your posts were removed due to your violation of those rules. 

In relation to your second statement, if you have no personal experience with the game then your reply is irrelevant to this thread (which is a violation of the site's guidelines). I suggest you read the site guidelines found here:

Mate, he's proving the games are objectively more difficult due to the fucked physics and hitboxes. That's hardly irrelevant. Take it from someone who platted all three games within a week and the fucking devs themselves; he's right. The physics for shit like The High Road and the turtles on it are fucked. The hit detection is also fucked at times (especially for the Brio fight which is much more difficult than the original game because of it), the jetski physics in 3 are fucked and let's not even get into the issues with the Nitros in the second game. What he said was hardly hostile.

16 hours ago, Crispy78923 said:

I already had your posts removed once before due to hostile behaviour and irrelevant responses. Please don't make me do it again, I don't enjoy having to get the site moderators to remove you.

It seems like you do, really.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Mate, he's proving the games are objectively more difficult due to the fucked physics and hitboxes. That's hardly irrelevant. Take it from someone who platted all three games within a week and the fucking devs themselves; he's right. The physics for shit like The High Road and the turtles on it are fucked. The hit detection is also fucked at times (especially for the Brio fight which is much more difficult than the original game because of it), the jetski physics in 3 are fucked and let's not even get into the issues with the Nitros in the second game. What he said was hardly hostile.

Lol that's one of the most aggressive posts I have seen on this site for a while. You k bro? Need a doctor?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Please refrain from hostility. 

I have explained time and again why these replies aren't relevant, what @DARKB1KE said may be related to the game 'Crash Bandicoot', but it isn't at all to what this topic thread is about. 

Also, you say the game is "objectively more difficult", that statement is objectively flawed as difficulty is entirely subjective.

Edited by Crispy78923
  • Like 3

I can see the placebo effect being very strong in this game. In real life the placebo can be prescribe for a cold and the hole body will think the medicine is doing it work, but in reality the antibodies ara encourage to do their work. In the game every one is saying that the game is harder than the original, so when I start playing I play worst that I usually do without notice because the people around me influence me. Personally I thought the game was easier 

• Like 3

The game is easy. But I can see why it may be hard for someone who been playing the older version or had experience with the older version. That game is slow!!! the frames are slow everythign felt slow motion. After you build that sense the new game moving so much faster with better frames and so much more eye popping graphics and distracting its a lot harder to play it may seem. Also the newer version is more young people friendly, you know older people tend to have slower reaction time. I made my grandma play and she died before she even started...real story.

• Like 2