When will you stop playing PS3?

MidnightDragon

I have a large backlog of Playstation 3 games to go through.  As such, the conditions for me to stop using it are the system breaking down and not being able to repair or replace it.  Absent that possibility, a version of the Playstation 5 that is backward compatible with Playstation 3 games.

If the PS5 allows for backwards compatibility of PS3 games (and DLC as well), alongside proper trophy support, then I'll drop the PS3 for sure. I'd only go back to it for nostalgia's sake, but not much else. I've got a list of games on my backlog, so if I finish that before I get a PS5, then I'll drop it before then.

On 18/2/2018 at 2:05 AM, EdinhoN said:

In this scenario, I guess PS3 going completely offline and unsupported by Sony is the most probable reason of a future me abandoning the PS3 and finally moving exclusively to PS4.

The end of PS3 trophy sync upport people are so talking about is probably never gonna happen. We're in a scenario where console companies are transitioning to games into services, Sony will most likely want to offer the whole library of PS3 games in PSNow or whatever with trophies and everything. In that case I think we're gonna be able to sync PS3 trophies to PSN forever or at least until Sony becomes bankrupt or something.

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh* I actually thought I was done. I sold my original PS3 many years ago, but later re-bought one. Sold that one too, over a year ago, thinking I was now finally done. But now I’ve got PS Now and I have actually really enjoyed revisiting a few old games and I still find titles I missed back in the day. I am not going to buy another PS3 for the third time but I can’t help but wish once more I still had a way to play the games I bought digitally which aren’t on PS Now. 

If as rumored the PS5 will not be bc with PS3 and there’s no paid add-on accessory (like a mini-PS3 you can attach to your PS5) that would be a huge shame. With no new PS3 units being produced and PS Now only offering a fraction of the titles, we’d lose a big chunk of PS history. Older PS3 units will die at some point... and then what?

I actually stopped playing mine a few months ago. Unfortunately, it died on me. The disc reader was acting up and would no longer read any of my disc's and then it just died out on me. I can't complain since it was the old school fat Playstation from day one release. I was very lucky that it lasted that long.

• Like 4

Not really.  When I first got the ps3 I knew it would hold a special place in my gaming life. In fact I somewhat prefer the ps3 to the ps4 for some reason not because of the graphics being better in ps4. Just the game selection I think was better in ps3. It gives me a reason to go back and clean up great games like splinter cell and god of war collection 

• 1 month later...