When will you stop playing PS3?

MidnightDragon

I can honestly say I won't stop playing PS3 until they no longer provide service for it altogether. The PS3 STILL has a TON of life in it. I'm (FINALLY) getting my PS4 this year, but that won't stop me from playing my PS3 as I have a HUGE backlog to go with it. Already building a PS4 library so once I get my PS4, I'll be good. Now I will say that I've almost come to a complete stop buying PS3 games (with the small exception of the monthly Flash Sales) so that'll help with my transition to the PS4, but I can't see myself not playing my PS3. 

When my backlog has been completed (few games left though...) i'll reduce my activity there. However Mass Effect and Dragon Age series will still keep me on PS3 unless BioWare/EA decide to bring them to PS4 which i hardly doubt...

Haven't got a PS4 (yet) so still planning on playing for a while.

However, even in years to come there would never be a point to completely stop playing; it's always fun to dust off old consoles and game libraries from the loft and play them again.

The only thing that worries is how quick Sony stopped manufacturing of the PS3 and PS Vita as it makes the cost of replacement ‘as new’ very expensive. Bear in mind I was able to get a brand new slim PS2 in Sony’s last manufacturing batch in 2016! Touch wood the hardware will continue to last like previous generations.

Edited by BOOTP

Both of my ps3s are still in great shape and, like everyone else, I have a bajillion game backlog. I guess I may quit using them when I get tired of buying ps3 controllers, which are even crappier than ps4 controllers (and that's saying something). I have a bit of a death grip, but I have more broken controllers than the most prolific controller throwers (and I have never thrown a controller in my life).

Fairly simple answer. When there is nothing left to play on it. I have many games yet to play, so not any time soon. My PS+ downloaded games also belong to a different account to the one I use primarily, which will be a problem if I buy a PS4... will cause online restrictions. Until this is fixed, I will hang on to the PS3 as long as I can.

I've sadly realised I already have. All PS3 Plus games have gone to the backlog never to be seen, last game I downloaded was that free Persona fighting game but never got around to actually playing it. I've got a handful if unplayed disc games too and I keep saying I'll boot it up and play something on it but it never happens, especially since there's so many good games I've yet to play on my PS4 as well and they just seem to take priority every single time. I'd be more likely if they had backwards compatability, like sure my PS3 is literally right next to my PS4, all set up on a different HDMI port but the effort of switching as well as not having the luxuries like party chat with friends or streaming etc. just seems to make me less inclined to play those games, if they had BC chances are I might have played a couple at some point.

• Like 1

@JohnCenaSong- that's how my PS3 is set up, too ? Right next to the PS4 and already plugged and ready to play.

Thankfully, I was able to focus on the Mass Effect trilogy for the last couple of months.

I don't know why I never played these games. They're amazing. I'm currently at the beginning of the 3rd game and I can't wait to dive deeper into it (despite how infamously bad/disappointing the ending is for that game).

Plus, I still got all the rest of the Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper trilogies to play. So far, I've only done the first game in each trilogy.

I also have some miscellaneous games like Tales of Graces F, the Journey Collection, Lollipop Chainsaw, Sonic Unleashed, Beyond Good & Evil HD.

I'll try to alternate between PS3, PS4 and Vita as much as I can, but it's hard to not be tempted by the recent and upcoming releases (i.e. Ni no Kuni 2 and God of War) on PS4. So my PS3 (and the Vita, too!) has still some years ahead of it. ?

I'll stick to this way (1 game on PS3, then 1 game on PS4/PSVR  and followed by 1 game on PS Vita. Rinse. Repeat) until late september of this year where I'll drop everything for Dragon Quest XI. I can't wait to play this game and I hope it'll blow me away like Persona 5 did last year.

Considering I only have a PS3 at the moment, a good backlog of games to finish, and ever increasing game collection of games to start and a plethora of games that I'm missing... probably not anytime soon. Even after I get a PS4 or a Vita, I can send myself coming back to play some more games on PS3.

Even if the online service gets discontinued and we are unable to sync trophies (which will eventually happen, sadly...) I can still come back to play a couple some of its most memorable games.

Maybe when we are around PS7 or PS8 I could potentially stop playing games on the PS3. ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honor_Hand said:

Maybe when we are around PS7 or PS8 I could potentially stop playing games on the PS3. 1f605.png 

Lol I was gonna say PS5 will be out before you get a ps4 or vita! Lol! 

I definitely recommend getting a vita sooner than later though. Who knows what the cost will be for even a used vita console years from now. :/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Lol I was gonna say PS5 will be out before you get a ps4 or vita! Lol! 

I definitely recommend getting a vita sooner than later though. Who knows what the cost will be for even a used vita console years from now. :/

Quite probably lol

Definitely agree with getting a Vita sooner as the prices on it might jump high on it later considering the low numbers of units that were manufactured. I'm more leaning towards getting the PS4 first as I'm not much of a portable player but the prices on the Vita now and the device itself are kinda tempting for me. ?

• Like 1

On 2.3.2018 at 7:26 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I probably won't stop playing for awhile but I will say going back to the PS3 after the PS4 makes the controller feel like a kids toy. It is just so small and light :P

The PS4 controller is so much flimsier, has a completely unnecessary gimmicky touch pad and light and a battery life that makes you change controllers every few hours. Additional issues like the rubber coming off from the sticks of the 1st gen pads aside.

PS3 controllers all the way.

4 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

The PS4 controller is so much flimsier, has a completely unnecessary gimmicky touch pad and light and a battery life that makes you change controllers every few hours. Additional issues like the rubber coming off from the sticks of the 1st gen pads aside.

You left out the fact that the dpad on the PS4 is significantly more fragile (and worse overall) than the one on the PS3. While I know that many games don't have use for them, the dpad is almost vital for the multitude of 2-D games we've seen. I can't imagine playing Super Meat Boy, or even Axiom Verge, using the analog stick.