What are we Trophy Hunters Trying to Prove?

linkdevivo

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I just enjoy games. I have done my fair share of those stupid easy ones also and some of them I have enjoyed and some I haven't. I have also do some harder stuff also. I am trying to limit how many of the easy one's I buy now. That is just a personal choice. I have alslo been in the same line of thought about longer games. Putting them off because of how long it would take. Trying to change that also.

• Like 4

I've only considered getting one game for the platinum, which is The Order 1886. Though I didn't actually get it in the end.... yet. Even then, I think it is more like the platinum is a mean to an end. I see a nice trophy list, it might give me that little boost to go ahead and get the game. However I won't play something I don't actually feel like playing when I got all these good things I can play anyway. Other than that, I do like seeing fellow hunters playing games. I've seen communities where people like to complain about games more than playing them, but hunters at least usually play their games.

• Like 1

The problem is that greatness is subjective. I've played Shin Megami Tensei games since the 90s...Persona 5 is the only one I didn't finish. The Last of Us and Uncharted are praised as great games, and I know many people enjoy them, but I hated every second I spent with them (fortunately, I earned no trophies in TLOU, so I was able to delete it from my profile). Conversely, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, and Deadly Premonition are all incredibly easy plats, but I had way more fun playing them than I did other games.

I just like playing games until I get bored of them. This inevitably means that most of my plats are short/easy, but I'd rather not overplay games to the point of hating them. If I come back to them to work on the plat later, I do. If I don't, I don't. But I'm an adult with a job, and I don't want to come home and feel like my hobby is even more work. :dunno: Thankfully, I have a sub to PS Now now, so that makes gamehopping easier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I'm not trying to prove anything. I just like getting trophies and that's all that I care about. 

well then this thread probably isn't for you.

37 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I just enjoy games. I have done my fair share of those stupid easy ones also and some of them I have enjoyed and some I haven't. I have also do some harder stuff also. I am trying to limit how many of the easy one's I buy now. That is just a personal choice. I have alslo been in the same line of thought about longer games. Putting them off because of how long it would take. Trying to change that also.

Yeah man, why do we need that platinum number to grow? I do the same thing, there are so many amazing 100 hour platinum games that we don't even give a try. It shouldn't be about that. Just my 2 cents

37 minutes ago, zajac9999 said:

I get trophies to make everyone respect and love me. 

haha i respect you now.

36 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

I've only considered getting one game for the platinum, which is The Order 1886. Though I didn't actually get it in the end.... yet. Even then, I think it is more like the platinum is a mean to an end. I see a nice trophy list, it might give me that little boost to go ahead and get the game. However I won't play something I don't actually feel like playing when I got all these good things I can play anyway. Other than that, I do like seeing fellow hunters playing games. I've seen communities where people like to complain about games more than playing them, but hunters at least usually play their games.

Yes, this is true. If i'm on the fence about buying a game and I see it's a short platinum i'd almost certainly buy it. Happened to me with Titanfall 2. Wasn't going to buy until I saw it had a 12 hour platinum and ended up enjoying so much.

17 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I've only ever avoided a game because it had online trophies that were a pain in the arse or unobtainable due to server closure. A lot of my earliest plats were easy as a way of "building up" my profile, but they were still games I enjoyed (even if I did them multiple times). I've never really been someone to buy trash games just to get a platinum thankfully. I've always played games I thought I would enjoy, and since JRPG's happen to be my favourite genre, the platinum often exceeds 100 hours. That's totally fine by me, though. Quality > Quantity. :)

Yeah that's what it comes down to: Quality over Quantity. Took me so long to realize.

8 minutes ago, drthomys said:

I was always someone who shied away from MMOs because I knew I'd try to finish them, even though you can never really do that. 

Little did I know that trophies kinda make games into an MMO of sorts, or to be more precise a meta-game. The experience isn't about any single game, but the games become some sort of a "level" in this bigger game of trophy-hunting. I think ultimately that's why a lot of people get sucked into the world of shitty games. The shitty game is the metagame equivalent of the "experience the tutorial"-trophy, something that suggests you're making "progress" (which you are not really, but in terms of numbers you are). 

Shitty games are a way to quickly reach a point in the trophy hunting game which suggests you're doing well, which you are because the numbers say so, and this is all about numbers. Ultimately, like an MMO, you can never be done. As a completionist you just end up chasing completion, which you will never reach, because you're not even meant to. Shitty games with easy and fast trophies capitalize on that. Even if your psn card says 100%, there's an "infinite" supply of other games that demand completion as well.

Recognizing this, I'm way more laid back about trophies and completing everything than ever before. 

This is deep. It is also 100% veracious. You'll never be done, your gamer score will always go up to make you feel better but till what end? you will never be done. It's best to have a lower trophy level but have platinums that you are truly proud of and that leave you with fun memories, not just pointless grinding.

• Like 2

There's nothing inherently wrong with easy games. I personally like point-and-clicks and Telltale games. But I'm getting something out of the game besides trophies. What I don't get is why some people play those games solely for the trophies, skipping any challenge or story the game has to offer. If you're doing that, then the only thing you care about is your trophy count, and I think there are better ways to spend your time... But that's just me.

Personally, you should just have fun. They're video games, after all.

• Like 3

I would consider myself a Trophy Hunter and i'd also consider myself as someone who isn't trying to prove anything.

I play games I enjoy and if I like them enough i'll hunt all the trophies for them. I enjoy earning trophies because i'm building a digital scrapbook of all of the games and feats i've achieved - so that in 10 - 20 years time i've got a record of my progress.

To some extent though - getting platinums for certain games actually does put you out there as a better gamer - especially if getting the platinum means being skilled enough to complete a tonne of in-game challenges and skill-based accomplishments.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with easy games. I personally like point-and-clicks and Telltale games. But I'm getting something out of the game besides trophies. What I don't get is why some people play those games solely for the trophies, skipping any challenge or story the game has to offer. If you're doing that, then the only thing you care about is your trophy count, and I think there are better ways to spend your time... But that's just me.

Personally, you should just have fun. They're video games, after all.

I never said there was something wrong with easy bad games. Just saying that they don't leave me with a sense of pride and so i'm sharing my experience that for the longest time I left other GREAT games unplayed because of their plat times. Wish i would've found out sooner that it just isn't worth it for me

3 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I play games I enjoy and if I like them enough i'll hunt all the trophies for them. I enjoy earning trophies because i'm building a digital scrapbook of all of the games and feats i've achieved - so that in 10 - 20 years time i've got a record of my progress.

Yeah, most of us feel this way. But do you sometimes get that feeling when seeing a really bad game on your list that you only platted for the trophies and spent time on, that maybe it wasn't worth it? Can you relate?

I've never bought a game because it was an easy platinum. (People think I bought Legends of Wrestlemania for easy platinum, but no I like wrestling.) 

I just like building up a nice collection of games I enjoy and difficult platinums. Sure I'll get an easy platinum, but only if I like the game. 

There are some interesting views in this thread. For me, easy games are there for when a longer game isn’t. I play any game I like the look of as soon as it launches and I only ever play 1 game at a time. If there isn’t another long/challenging game around that I’m interested in I’ll play through shorter things while I wait. I have many platinums that are over 100 hours with high degrees of difficulty that I’m proud of but I’m also proud of my leaderboard position (PS4 leaderboard that is!) and I use the short games to maintain it. 

Easy games are also vital if you participate in trophy competitions. Competing in comps (even if there is no prize) is a fun way of meeting other like minded players and is a great excuse to boost your trophy count and leaderboard position with a few short games!

• Like 3

I am the odd one out on this site as I despise trophies, i feel they take away from the game which is why I make dummy accounts to try out new games. So I am not trying to prove anything I play games for fun but my video game OCD kicks in so try to get the trophies "out of the way".

Not everyone feels the same and I accept that, but If i can help out others I will which is why I have written guides and why I use this site. The people here are far more friendly than some of the other FAQ sites out there. Plus sometimes a trophy guide can help you with a game just as easily as a normal guide.

So i say enjoy the games how you want and just have FUN, even if that means trophy hunting.

• Like 1

I have an addiction to the sound it makes when a trophy pops xD but in all honesty, I like to play things that I like or peak some kind of interest. I think of trophies as either a challenge or an accomplishment of sorts. Some games I'll never finish and I'm fine with that. Others I'll playthrough and finish, platinum or not. To me, I feel like finishing a trophy list shows I (most likely) enjoyed it to some decree to go out of my way to get them. A few I absolutely did not enjoy getting (all of Far Cry 2, Nom Nom Galaxy, 7 Days to Die's 2500 player kills that I soloed for 3 days straight while listening to Rush) to name a few. Mind you, I do like 7 days. Just not that trophy lol. It's things like that I'm proud of. I only have easy games on my list because I enjoy them and sometimes you need to chill the eff out and play something easy and non-stressful. 

41 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

Yeah man, why do we need that platinum number to grow? I do the same thing, there are so many amazing 100 hour platinum games that we don't even give a try. It shouldn't be about that. Just my 2 cents

I don't know if I am ready for 100 hour platinums but 40 to 60 hours is plenty for me. I will still play the easy ones to break up harder or longer plats. I just am trying to refrain from buying every easy game that comes out.

I have more difficult ones, easier ones, plats that take longer and plats that take less time. I never tried to solely go for a specific kind of plat. In the end i just play games i think i might be able to enjoy. And yeah... a game can be hard, long, easy or short but still be very enjoyable. 

• Like 3

We aren't trying to prove anything. It's how we are as persons. I like completing things. In Far Cry 4 for example I did everything down to collecting every chest on the map, even though it wasn't necessary for any trophy. Then I found that location that had a marker under the map, that you couldn't unlock, and it bugged me so much that I couldn't clear the whole map. I later found a glitch to unlock it via youtube- Phew. That's me as a person. I would to the same with games if they hadn't any trophies, and keep the savefile as proof of my accomplishment.

Your trophylist is a testament to your gaming, the good times, the bad, the time spent. Scroll through it and reminisce.

• Like 4