What are we Trophy Hunters Trying to Prove?

linkdevivo

Personally I'm not really trying to prove anything and I really don't care what other people think about my trophies/profile. I just hunt trophies for myself and like to see my progress in all the games I added to the list. I also played a few games with easy platinums but that's mostly because I wanted to try those games out and not really because I was trying to get more platinums to prove anything or something like that. I do it all for myself :P.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

I never said there was something wrong with easy bad games. Just saying that they don't leave me with a sense of pride and so i'm sharing my experience that for the longest time I left other GREAT games unplayed because of their plat times. Wish i would've found out sooner that it just isn't worth it for me

Oh, I agree. I'd rather play one 100+ hour game that's good than ten 10 hour games that suck. But I'm not always in the mood to play a long game. Sometimes I want a game that's short or easy or fun, while other times I want a challenge or to get really immersed in another world. There are games I regret playing, but only because I ended up not liking the game -- not because I played it for an easy platinum. *looks at Spy Chameleon*

That said, on my old account, I used to view platinums very differently. Whenever I would platinum a game, I'd draw a picture or cartoon about that game. That was really fun for me, so I'd sometimes play a game I didn't care about, only because I thought it would make a good comic. You might think that I ended up playing a lot of crap, but some of the games I tried out were ones I never would have considered otherwise and actually ended up liking a lot.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, madbuk said:

"We've all done it."

Nah. Everything I've played I've had some kind of interest in outside of trophies, I don't see the point of throwing away money (and time) on games that are bad just to inflate some numbers artificially. Nice generalization tho.

"We've all done it" is a hyperbole, it means the majority has, not that every single human being on this site has. Has a better ring to it than 36294786 people on this site have done it.

It's just because you can show what you've earned.

EDIT: The thread linked shows that people would just play games they enjoy if trophies didn't exist outside of the game. So yes you're correct when saying plenty of people buy games just for trophies, it's not a "nice generalization" like someone has stated.

Edited by Xxleonardo97xX

Personal accomplishment and I always loved collecting things. I don't necessarily go after plats if I think it's going to be a pain in the ass, and I'm never bothered by not getting a plat and just moving on to the next game after I beat that one. 

For those that buy games with easy trophies: *shrug* it's your money and if that makes you happy then go for it, I have no right to judge what they find fun.

For me it really boils down to as long as you're having fun, then by all means play games the way you want.

• Like 1

I like trophies, although I find myself just playing games for the enjoyment and not earning any trophies, as reflected on my profile.  I jump from game to game, whatever I'm in the mood for.  I've started joining events (never did it in the past) to help me complete games and I find I have more incentive to get back to earning stuff.

8 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

I'm by no means saying this is YOUR opinion or experience, only mine. Pretty sure there are people like me out there, though.

I remember when I bought games solely on the fact that they had an easy, short platinum (stupid games like my name is mayo and the like). We've all done it. I purposefully never played games with long time to platinum because trophies were all that mattered to me (I missed out on so many good games). But when i crossed 100 plats, and the number didn't magically make me a better gamer, I started caring less about those bad easy games. I still love trophies but now I get platinums not depending on completion time, I instead do it with GREAT games, no matter if it takes me beyond 100 hours. For example, I purposefully didn't buy Persona 5 because i read on a guide that the platinum was 120+ hours. It was on sale last month and I decided to give it a try: THIS 120 HOUR platinum gave me more joy and  pride than almost all of my previous trophies and it's probably the longest i've ever spent on a game.

What i'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to prove that getting more platinums makes us better gamers. I'm done with grinding games I don't enjoy just because they have easy trophies, I now understand that it's better to have LESS "easy, boring" platinums because at the end of the day we'll remember the persona 5's, not the Hannah Montanas or the Green Lanterns. Here's to platinums you enjoy and are proud of, instead of a stupid number to boost our own gamer ego.

Hey man I've been that way from the start; I'm a gamer first, trophy hunter second. I refuse to buy shit games just because they have easy Platinums. Sure an easy Plat is appealing, but it will never be the end all be all when it comes to buying games. I pick what games I wanna play, and go for the Platinum if I can. Simple as that. Trophy whores that double up on trophies and buy the shittiest titles known to man baffle me.

Edited by SuperSaiyan3985
  • Like 2

I think that a lot of us in the beginning got a lot of easy trophies just to build our level quick (Like on an RPG xD ), but after some time it's normal to get tired of that, especially when time to play gets shorter as you get more obligations IRL. I started to get trophies because I've always liked to "complete things", and trophy lists are kind of all the things that you can do with a game (well, not in all games is like that but in the vast majority I think it is), thanks to trophies I've done a lot of things that I never have thought to do, some of them amazing, and some of them just boring but a lot of times there are things that you've never experimented or played if a trophy wouldn't make you do that. That's why for me is more important to complete a trophy list than getting a lot of a few trophies of different games, and lately since I don't have too much time I've been trying to get only the trophies of games that I really like and enjoy (Especially if it's from a saga that I like, I finally got all the plats of Kojima's MGS Games and someday will get all the KH plats xD), but if I still find an easy plat from time to time I will give it a go =), just that now that isn't my priority.

• Like 1

I like collecting trophies, but I refuse to buy something if it's just for trophies, but once I have them, I'll play them a lot. Game of Thrones is on here for completion percentage. The games I buy are for corresponding with my favourite games, and also because I'd love to try some infamous bad ones (Motorcycle Club, Sonic Unleashed). A real trophy hunter would not have Sports games, because the platinums are a bloody pain in the backside. I care for trophies, and will rarely go for platinums. It's only after a while that I realize a game may be possible, but i'll give up on a platinum hunt fairly quickly 

Berendsapje.png

Edited by Berendsapje
No trophy card
  • Like 1

when you boast hard over a trophy to compare to someone else it's a bit ridiculous or brag about gamer score.

In reality it's another way for someone to get addicted, they are making a crap load of money off trophy addicts.

We all game for fun, or to get challenged in the land of digital. If you like hard trophies and long games go for them, if you like short and easy games go for them.

unless you're getting paid to play, then it's your job. Youtubers and streamers are saturating the market like a plague, hoping they can rich from gaming.

• Like 1

I'll admit I bought some games for the easy platinum but i'm nowhere near anyone on the leaderboard I just thought the game looked silly enough to be enjoyable (My Name is Mayo..) or it looked like a halfway fun game (Gem Smasher). But i don't leaderboard chase at all and most of the time I don't even get close to platinums in other games. I'm more of a laid back trophy hunter that just enjoys collecting them for the sake of something to do.

I'll admit.. i would buy way less if trophies weren't a thing. So for Sony this is a good thing LOL.

18 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Trophy whores that double up on trophies and buy the shittiest titles known to man disgust me.

That's also not the best attitude to have. Some people just love increasing their number of trophies/plats or do it because they compete in events and like doing that. If they like doing that, they should do that. It's not like the way you do it is the only good way to do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

I remember when I bought games solely on the fact that they had an easy, short platinum (stupid games like my name is mayo and the like). We've all done it.

I haven't done it. You won't find a game on my profile with a platinum more common than 25% (yet), not that i care about rarity or if the online trophies are obtainable or not. I could go on. I just wanna play games that i think are going to be fun. If My Name's Mayo was actually a good game worth playin' with an easy platinum, then i'd definitely play it. But i don't see how mashin' the X button for an hour or whatever would be fun to me so i'm not gonna play it.

• Like 1

I personally only play games I think I'll enjoy. I hide games that I don't enjoy from my profile, and while many may think I'm a massive cheater with so many hidden trophies, I think it's great to look at a clean list of games I enjoyed. :D 

Furthermore, I couldn't care less about the number of trophies/platinums I have. All I want are the trophies from the games that I enjoy. :) 

Edited by SunnyCrappyYT
  • Like 1

Trying to prove? Nothing. I play to get trophies because I like it! I’ll play any game I like whether it be easy or hard. If i want to be challenged, I play hard modes, if not, I go easy if im new to the game to start out and then ease into “normal mode” when i get the chance. Depends per game

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Hey man I've been that way from the start; I'm a gamer first, trophy hunter second. I refuse to buy shit games just because they have easy Platinums. Sure an easy Plat is appealing, but it will never be the end all be all when it comes to buying games. I pick what games I wanna play, and go for the Platinum if I can. Simple as that. Trophy whores that double up on trophies and buy the shittiest titles known to man disgust me.

Disgust is kind of strong language.

But that being said, people may look at my trophies and be like :o disgusting :o but all my easy plats are because of Trophy Comps I was in. They were fun Forum events that I took part in and that is where I got the enjoyment from it.

OR 

I used to work for Sony so it was my job to play games like EYEPet or Start the Party as I had to show and sell them to customers.

FINALLY

I sometimes would pick a game up cheap because it looked like it could be fun (Raven comes to mind). It was an easy plat (and a shitty game) but that is not the reason I bought it.

So there are different reasons why people might have games on their accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

For example, I purposefully didn't buy Persona 5 because i read on a guide that the platinum was 120+ hours. It was on sale last month and I decided to give it a try: THIS 120 HOUR platinum gave me more joy and  pride than almost all of my previous trophies and it's probably the longest i've ever spent on a game.

What i'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to prove that getting more platinums makes us better gamers. I'm done with grinding games I don't enjoy just because they have easy trophies, I now understand that it's better to have LESS "easy, boring" platinums because at the end of the day we'll remember the persona 5's, not the Hannah Montanas or the Green Lanterns. Here's to platinums you enjoy and are proud of, instead of a stupid number to boost our own gamer ego.

I was the exact same, I purposely did not buy games with hard platinums like Persona 5, KH1.5 + 2.5, Disgaea games and the Yakuza games. But now I stopped caring about it and just play games for fun, getting the platinums if I can and leave the ones that I can't. I now own KH and Disgaea 3, 4 and 5 and have no intention of platinuming them, but I do enjoy aiming for platinums in games that I love and can do, like the all the FF and Tales games whose platinums I collect. I don't buy easy games just for the plat, as to me quality>quantity, so I have a small number of 100+ hour platinums from mostly RPGs as opposed to a bunch of easy short ones like Telltale and Hannah Montana. 

I don't want to waste time on a crap game just because it has an easy plat. I'd rather spend 100 hours getting the plat in a game I actually enjoy than grueling through 10 hours of a rubbish game. Hence I am very proud of all my FF and Tales series platinums as those two series are my favourite. I do have a few easy plats from VNs that I got free on plus like Steins gate which I hated, so I'm not proud of that but just got the plat anyway as it was super easy but really boring. I rather grind adamantoises in FF13. 

The longest games I'd put hours into are Tales of Vesperia, Xillia 2, Berseria and FFXIII, XII TZA all at 100-125 hours each but I loved all these games. 

13 minutes ago, Xxleonardo97xX said:

So if a game has a platinum achievement with a rarity, on this website, higher that 25.00% then the game is not worthy to be on your profile. It does seem you're trying to prove something.

No. Try reading the entire post next time.

• Like 2

Im trying to prove (to myself) that Im not good at gaming so i’ll quit but I’m having too much fun. In fact deep inside I know i’m not good but i keep on playing games that interest me, games that ps plus introduces to me, games that other people say they enjoyed, easy or hard. I will say that i find challenging games more satisfying to try and complete that easy ones or poorly made ones.