What are we Trophy Hunters Trying to Prove?

linkdevivo

I think there are people who get too wrapped up in the whole trophy boasting/shaming thing.  These are games, people. We enjoy them, maybe get a reward (trophy) and maybe make it to the end of the game.  Events are supposed to be fun, that is why we join them. 

The people who obsess over someone else's trophy list just amaze me.  They must have so much free time on their hands that they need to find a hobby or something.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

purposefully didn't buy Persona 5 because i read on a guide that the platinum was 120+ hours. It was on sale last month and I decided to give it a try: THIS 120 HOUR platinum gave me more joy and  pride than almost all of my previous trophies and it's probably the longest i've ever spent on a game.

Now go and finish P4 and buy P4 EU and enjoy more than 300 hours with Persona games. ? 

• Like 1

since when collecting trophies is proving something?

I just happen to collect them whenever I can and that's it.

one of my friends recommended me a few months ago to be a gaming Youtuber because he thinks that i'm good in playing games due to how many trophies I have.

the fact is I only Plat and 100% games that I loved so much or games that I think they're easy for me to 100% or Plat.

and for a person who's kinda considered to have a lots of trophies or platinum, I'm pretty sure that the majority of my trophies are actually in the "easy to obtain" list, sure I got around 100 ultra rare trophies but most of them is from games that not many people are buying and playing, and yes I did got some pretty hard trophies ( funny how it's from a game that been considered for kids, Epic Mickey 2, but I founded that game to be on the easy side and despite how poor it did in the market, I actually loved it so much.

4 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Trophy whores that double up on trophies and buy the shittiest titles known to man disgust me.

Doubling up on trophies you mean getting the same platinum twice for example on a remaster? or you mean like sound shapes? because if it's the former, why can't someone get the trophy all over again because they've enjoyed it so much? i did it in kingdom hearts, bioshock and uncharted trilogy.

3 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

Now go and finish P4 and buy P4 EU and enjoy more than 300 hours with Persona games. 1f605.png 

oh dude, im on it. already 30% on P4 hahaha. Though it doesn't even close to P5 for me. I'm sure i would've enjoyed it so much more if I played it first. It's just so hard to go back

Edited by BlindMango
Fixed quote that mentioned the wrong person

13 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

oh dude, im on it. already 30% on P4 hahaha. Though it doesn't even close to P5 for me. I'm sure i would've enjoyed it so much more if I played it first. It's just so hard to go back

Haha I know, P5 was an amazing experience and go back to an unfinished game is hard I have the same problem with Omega Quintet ?

• Like 1

I'm not out to prove anything, not even to myself. Anyone who reads the "last trophy you earned" thread should be able to see that I take enjoyment out of doing this and turn it into something enjoyable regardless of what I'm playing. I think I've got a decent mix of games, there's the long platinums, MSGV, Fallout 4, Skyrim, AC Origins which took me 110 hours due to the way I play (slowly, I went as far as walking everywhere in Skyrim/Fallout just so I could enjoy the scenery), and the shorter ones, Mega Drive Collection, Telltale games, Black the Fall which I did in just under 5 hours. 

Then there's the harder games that I didn't get the platinum for, MGS4, MGS2, Metal Gear Rising, Shadow of the Colossus, Red Dead because I have little interest in multiplayer/online. Taking the MGS games, particularly Rising as an example where I did make an attempt at the platinum and failed, doesn't matter to me. What matters is I still turned that failed attempt into something enjoyable to me, if I can't do that or just don't like the game before I've even thought about trophies I won't play it. I won't continue on to earn another trophy or increase my completion, or increase my leaderboard ranking. Some people will do that, and do care about completion, leaderboards, how many platinums they have, maybe some people feel they do have a point to prove and that's fine, I'm not here to tell anyone what to do. We all have different motivations and that should be respected

Stripping my answer down to it's bare bones...I'm here to have fun and share that with others, the only time I really get serious is when posting a review of sorts in the "most recent platinum" thread for the benefit of others who may considering buying the game too. As long as this continues to be a positive experience for myself, and since I'm part of this community, a positive experience for others too then I'll keep doing it. 

• Like 1

For a long time these threads mystified me but I had a realisation that they are usually authored by trophy self haters. It is a shame you wasted so much of your time and money on games you didn't enjoy.  I am glad you broke the cycle it was obvious not bringing you any joy or satisfaction. I hope you find enjoyment in the longer and more acclaimed titles. Perhaps in time you will find a balance like most volume hunters have. Goodluck.

• Like 2

Prove something? Not even when i was younger.  I get trophies because in many cases mean extra stuff to do in a game.

Hmm, what is the problem with Green lantern?  It does not give a ridiculous amount of trophies and it's not in the easiest group of platinums. It's one of the few couch coop of ps3, not so short and fun. 

12 hours ago, madbuk said:

"We've all done it."

Nah. Everything I've played I've had some kind of interest in outside of trophies, I don't see the point of throwing away money (and time) on games that are bad just to inflate some numbers artificially. Nice generalization tho.

Pretty much what I've come to say.

One reason why I play quick games is a thing called "Trophy Competitions" can make you play anything and we do it for the thrill of trying to come first or because you don't want to let your team down.
A second reason is I play a lot of long games but from time to time you want to get that feeling of passing a few games in a row so I pickup a few to play when I only have a couple of hours to spare.

As mentioned whenever someone posts of these topics;

In the end who cares what you play really, you game for your own reasons.

If that reason is trying to get the most trophies then good for you if that is trying to plat long games then again good for you. If that reason is just passing the storyline and not worrying about the trophies then that is fine as well.

Personally for me I game, watch anime and read visual novels to keep the mind active, escape from the so called life which is why I tend to play games with a good story.

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 2

This seems to be a bigger problem each year. Now that companies have figured out pepole buy games for easy trophies, more and more pepole gets lured into this trap. And others are beeing forced into it to maintain theire leaderboard ranks.

I for one are trying to stay away from this as much as possible, my 2 easiest beeing undertale and until dawn, just because i wanted to play them. And my fastest beeing jak and daxter in 5h+, this is one i’m purposely not beating yet. I don’t have a problem with playing long games, like now i’m doing GT Sport (350h).

Quality over quantity.

• Like 1

I know there are some that make it a contest or some sort, but it's more of just a personal goal. Something to strive towards I guess you could say. Kudos on Persona 5 btw, fantastic game. I'll admit I've played short easy platinums and long difficult ones, but I've liked them all so far. I tend to only buy games that spark at least some interest and I usually try to go for the gold, or in this case the platinum because I end up believing that game was worth my time. Okay that's a partial lie, Star Ocean 5 just had me grinding mindlessly after the first playthrough (it required 3). The completionist in me just didn't want to leave it alone, but I promise after that one everything was for pure enjoyment. I also like that fact that my trophy list is a personal reminder that I actually did do something all these years.

I just like completing checklists, and trophies is an additional checklist, lol.

I wouldn't say trophies has ruled my gaming choices though. Pretty much everything I've played is coz I wanted to play the game, not coz it's an easy platinum/100%. I've played games and skipped on the platinum coz of tacked on mp or things that are too tedious. I've doubled up on games, though mostly they're the ones I enjoy - Nathan Drake collection, GTA V on PS3/4, a couple other remastered games I can't think of. I even did my own 'destroy your completion %' challenge late last year just to try out a bunch of games in my backlog, to see if it's worth going back to them, and I don't think I've gone back to any of them yet, lol.

I'll admit, I've dropped off the trophy hunting train a little bit, I only got my first platinum last week, since October last year. A bunch of games I played were too tedious to bother with (ACO), bugged out on me (South Park), or just had a stupid amount of mini games I just had no interest in (Danganronpa v3, Yakuza 0/Kiwami). I know some people let trophies rule their choices, but I personally haven't. I just let it be something extra I enjoy.

2 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

if that ding is not your message sound for your phone then it needs to be.

Lol, i actually downloaded it a couple years ago

i didnt care for it, insta-delete

its just not the same

OT: real trophy hunters, like people with 100+ platinums are trying to proove that they are better than the next guy, its all about stature

because who gives a shit about a meaningless pixel unless you make it about competition..

i have more trophies than you therefore im a better gamer than you, its just that simple

Why else do you see all these threads about people complaining that this game, or that game didnt get a platinum trophy

because they cant add another pixel to their growing addiction of out ranking the next guy

If they truly cared about that “ding” then it wouldnt matter if a game got a platinum or not, a measly 12 bronze trophy game would still suffice but it doesnt because wheres the platinum?

7 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

OT: real trophy hunters, like people with 100+ platinums are trying to proove that they are better than the next guy, its all about stature

because who gives a shit about a meaningless pixel unless you make it about competition..

i have more trophies than you therefore im a better gamer than you, its just that simple

Why else do you see all these threads about people complaining that this game, or that game didnt get a platinum trophy

because they cant add another pixel to their growing addiction of out ranking the next guy

If they truly cared about that “ding” then it wouldnt matter if a game got a platinum or not, a measly 12 bronze trophy game would still suffice but it doesnt because wheres the platinum?

I don’t know if ‘prove being better’ is the right concept but I absolutely enjoy climbing the ranks and trying to improve my position.    I’m under no illusion that I am a more skilled gamer than anyone else, but it definitely shows a dedication and passion for the hobby (lifestyle) that is PlayStation.

Its also a nice way to recall games from the past.  You can create quite memorable experiences trying to compete trophy lists.

And I also agree with the checklist thing. They appeal to me the same way a cluttered assassins creed or far cry map does.  So many things to do.

• Like 1

When I first started out I picked a random profile that I decided I just had to beat at this trophy hunting lark so I guess I hunt trophies to prove I'm better at gaming and trophy hunting than this guy

https://psnprofiles.com/gunnerjake

Sure he's still only got one trophy but I'll never stop because i just cannot pass up an opportunity to pile on the misery and show how awesome I am in comparison

• Like 2