What are we Trophy Hunters Trying to Prove?

linkdevivo

I don't think I can prove shit with my trophies, so currently I just play for fun.

However there was a time when I loved the ding sound so much, I platinumed all the sound shapes games... omg that was mesmerizing - dingdingding. And yeah, played my own share of easy games, like terminator salvation.

Will for me am not trying to prove anything it just i like completing games with 100% compilations and unlocking everything on them

i like doing this the first time i become a gamer even before PS1

when i first notice the trophy system and the ding sound i fall in love i remember finishing uncharted before trophy support when they add trophies i went back to complete it again

the different between completing games before and now is the trophy systems keep you on track of what you finished also make other people see your list of completed games you proud of

• Like 2

Usually when i see that a game i really wanna play has long Plat, i'm excited, cause it means i get to spend more time with the game. I loved spending over a hundred hours on The Witcher 3 and when i saw somebody saying Monster Hunter World was gonna be around 300-500 hours i was so happy! I do easy completions in between to take a break from a long game so i enjoy it even more when i get back.

And i wished Nier Automata was longer ?

Edited by thekiffer21

Like most people here, I’m not trying to prove anything. I’m just trying to have fun doing something that I enjoy. I just love the concept of trophies. Of course that I agree that earning a trophy that took time and effort is more rewarding and pleasant than to earn an easy one, but not everyone has the time to dedicate themselves to 150 hours platinums! 

For example, last year I always busy, with the exception of a couple of months. I wanted to do something nice for my 100th platinum, so I chose P4G. This game took me a full month of focus and commitment, without playing anything else, because I could only play during my free time. Of course that in the end it was worth it; after all it was my 100th platinum! The rest of the year I did easier things and I’m not ashamed of that. I had fun with all those easy trophies; they helped me relax and rest! Easy trophies are still trophies, after all, and they have their value, too. Trophy hunters just take these matters too seriously. 

• Like 1

I just mix it up; Play easy games / Play big titles.

Before I even got a playstation I was a completionist in games -> Ubisoft games / Steam Games / Origin games it's just in my nature I guess. I hate to play something and quit after finishing it immediately

Well after buying a ps4 and found out about this site it all matched and my OCD triggered even more as I can now match all my addications into 1 thing. Play lots of games->100% lots of games and even got a cool site to compare my stats with other people who like my hobby.

If I was trying to prove something as a trophy hunter, I wouldn't be doing a very good job lol....

It's cliche, but I'm a bit OCD with "finishing" stuff. This extends to all forms of media. Trophies finally give me an "out" in which I'm able to say I completed something.

As for trophies specifically, I don't think I've bought anything JUST for trophies, but sometimes they help push me in to buying something (but I still wait till a sale). So I guess some of you guys buy easy Plats, I get suckered in by "needing" to finish PS+ games :"/

• Like 1

Never had anything to prove and never will really tbh. I just love gaming! Always have and always will. I'll try any game once and I like it I'll go for the 100% for sure, if its something I just can't stand then it will just forever sit there at a low percent. I've never really had a specific type of plat to go for, just a wide variety of more difficult ones, grindy ones and easy slutty ones. 

Since I started bagging those plats one thing I'm certain of is that this shit becomes an addiction! 

First of all, I only play games I am interested in.

Trophies can make some games interesting, others boring as hell.

Getting Trophies on "easier" games is always a nice addition to a mediocre or great gaming experience. I am surely not trying to prove anything to anyone with that.

On the other hand with hard games (based on trophy difficulty), it is always great to challenge myself and of course I like the recognition and/or admiration it may get from fellow trophy hunters, I would be lying otherwise. That does not mean, that I go out and play any hard game, I can get my hands on.

Edited by Mori-101

I don't care why someone hunts trophies.

I always played the games I likes and never decidet to avoid a game bc it was too long or too hard. I like quality plats. so nothing to change for me, huh?

Yes I do have my name is mayo on m list, but I have no plat xD The important art is to have fun with it. well and a hannah montana will never touch my game list. but if anyone wants to do exactly that, play onl y the whory games, be my guest. you cant  compare hunters with different goals like that, so the only problem I see is the spoiled leaderboard wuth the easy plat hunters always on top, but who cares?

I play the games I would like to play whether they have a platinum or not, whether they're easy or not, it makes no difference to me at all.  I do like experiencing everything the game can offer from the games I purchase and getting 100% completion is a pretty good way to do that, so that includes DLC.  I tend to bounce around from game to game at times but always have the intention to come back to a game when I feel like it even if its a few months or a year or two later.  There are some games I will not get 100%, no question but that still won't stop me from enjoying them.

22 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

I'm by no means saying this is YOUR opinion or experience, only mine. Pretty sure there are people like me out there, though.

I remember when I bought games solely on the fact that they had an easy, short platinum (stupid games like my name is mayo and the like). We've all done it. I purposefully never played games with long time to platinum because trophies were all that mattered to me (I missed out on so many good games). But when i crossed 100 plats, and the number didn't magically make me a better gamer, I started caring less about those bad easy games. I still love trophies but now I get platinums not depending on completion time, I instead do it with GREAT games, no matter if it takes me beyond 100 hours. For example, I purposefully didn't buy Persona 5 because i read on a guide that the platinum was 120+ hours. It was on sale last month and I decided to give it a try: THIS 120 HOUR platinum gave me more joy and  pride than almost all of my previous trophies and it's probably the longest i've ever spent on a game.

What i'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to prove that getting more platinums makes us better gamers. I'm done with grinding games I don't enjoy just because they have easy trophies, I now understand that it's better to have LESS "easy, boring" platinums because at the end of the day we'll remember the persona 5's, not the Hannah Montanas or the Green Lanterns. Here's to platinums you enjoy and are proud of, instead of a stupid number to boost our own gamer ego.

Wow - what an original sentiment!

I don't know what you're trying to "prove", but I certainly am not trying to "prove" anything. I like to get trophies. That's the reason I collect them. You don't want to play Persona 5 because of the time commitment? Don't play it, then. What's the point of whining about your situation, or (even worse), projecting your failings as a gamer onto the rest of us?

Edited by starcrunch061

Can't say this is the first time I've seen this topic discussed and without actually reading any of the replies I'm pretty sure what I've got to add to the discussion has been sad A LOT .. so I'll try and keep it simple eh?

No I've never bought a game solely for the trophies. Probably never will. I've honestly bought all my games solely because I either wanted them anyways or because they were free ( well .. "PS Plus free" that is .. yay) so why tf not right?.

The games on my list that would look the most contradictory to this statement would probably the ones I've got duplicates of (one on ps3 one on ps4) but the matter of fact is I only bought it again because I felt they were worth it (Last of Us) or because my friends had bought them on the new system and I had to as well to play online with them (GTA V) 

To answer why I go for platinums I guess I'd just say that I like to get the most out of my games and trophy list most of the time are set up so that a plat = 100% completion.

So there. Thats all I got *shrugs*

I can't believe this thread got to 100 replies, it's been very interesting reading all your opinions but I think that my original message got a bit distorted along the way, maybe i didn't explain myself as well as i thought i had. For example, The title is pure irony: "What are we trying to prove?" isn't literally saying that gamers are trying to prove something, it's more like "Why do we care so much about the number (plats and trophy level)?" It's been funny reading half of these messages all starting out "i'm not trying to prove anything". Maybe if you don't have this problem, then this thread doesn't mean you in particular.

Which brings me to my other point. I understand that NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THIS. I am not generalizing or saying that every single person on this site cares about this. When i said something along the lines of "getting easy boring trophies, We've all done it" it is just a hyperbole, an exaggeration and not meant to be taken literally.

Also, I've never stated that getting easy trophies is bad and you shouldn't do it, I was merely voicing my own personal experience with the matter and the realization that i, myself, have gotten to.

Either way, it's been cool to find people like me and people who don't have this problem at all. Happy hunting.

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m not trying to prove anything really.

I play games.

Games have trophies.

therefore, trophies should be earned.

What would be the point in doing something if you weren’t going to try to be good at it?

Love It, Well Said!

For me, it started as a way to get the most out of my game, I don't put it down until it's finished. (Given there are exceptions to this...) But even before trophies were a thing, i'd play a game to 100% completion (or 106% if we are talking about Crash Bandicoot) back on the PS2. There was no shown glory, just the experience of getting the most out of the game.

For me now, and part of why i joined this website and contribute as much as I can, is it puts me in a mindset/ or with a group of people that do the same thing that I do. We trophy hunt. I have absolutely no Real Life friends that enjoy the Trophy hunting aspect as I do... so doing that and being here on this site, is getting to enjoy something that I enjoy... with someone else!

And to echo what Dr. Bloodmoney said... do something and try to be good at it. For those that aren't as good... or have troubles with certain parts of a game, it's why I contribute guides. It helps those that maybe have less time to figure it out for themselves, or people that may just get lost in a game, but enjoy the game themselves.

/endrant :P

• Like 2