Games on PS4 like Pokemon on DS

theSpirae

Siralim and Siralim 2 are kind of like an obtuse, early ‘90s computer RPG take on Pokémon. Mechanically interesting, but hard to recommend if one loves the charm, polish, and general accessibility of Pokémon. Ni No Kuni for PS3 (I believe on PS Now for PS4 too) is amazing, but the upcoming PS4 sequel drops the Pokémon mechanics for Pikmin mechanics (still looks fabulous though).

I’d recommend Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles as carrying the spirit of Pokémon and Nintendo in general, just without the creature collecting.

If you have access to an Xbox One, I’d recommend Slime Rancher. The two Viva Piñata games also (on Rare Replay or separate as backwards compatible 360 games).

Re:Legend is an upcoming game that will be on PS4 with creature collecting and a slew of other design influences. Likewise with Ooblets, but for Xbox One.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to play more games on PS4 but nothing seems to keep her interested for more than an hour or two. She can spend hours and hours playing Pokemons on DS, is there any similar game on PS4?

While I haven't played it, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth seems like it might have similarities. 

Strangely, there aren't very many games with a monster-raising component at all. I'm having trouble thinking of any at the moment. Persona has some raising in it, but the choices are pretty obvious for skills, so it's really just a matter of leveling there.

Edited by starcrunch061

I'd advise against Ni No Kuni, because the battle mechanic and min maxing of monster stats are not as easy as in Pokemon, and might be off putting for someone who comes from only Pokemon. Also the creature collecting is not as intuitive because it's random chance based whether or not you even get the chance to capture after defeating a monster

41 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This is probably going to sound odd, but I will say Final Fantasy X. You don't raise monsters, but you do raise people (stats) which takes several hours to complete. It's turned-based like Pokemon and you can customize weapons, your summons, etc.

You're right! That does sound odd. xD

But I will agree with others and say World of Final Fantasy is a good choice. I can't believe I forgot about it (it's even a milestone plat for me). You capture monsters, and can evolve them. Further, you can move between evolutions at will. It plays like a simpler Pokemon in that regard.

2 hours ago, EnforcerAwakens said:

I advise against monster hunter, as the community there is incredibly toxic and elitist. It put's Call of Duty to shame by miles. It ruins an otherwise good game.

What Monter Hunter did you play? I basically never play online because I hate most people for the exact traits you listed above, but I always have fun with Monster Hunter.

It kind of depends what aspects of Pokémon your girlfriend likes. Does she like breeding, EV training, customizing the perfect teams with great skills and abilities, the battles, battling others online or playing in tournaments, the characters, the graphical style or just the story and gameplay in general. I don't know if any game on PS4 has such deep mechanics, even if they look similar on the surface.

If she likes the turn-based battles, then maybe she would like a good JRPG which has deeper story than Pokémon games too? Persona games have similar monster collecting / team customization and World of Final Fantasy (which I have bought too but not started yet) was mentioned by many. There's a free demo available for WoFF in PS Store.

Why not let her enjoy the Pokémon games though, if those are her favorite? There are lots of newer Pokémon titles out on Nintendo 3DS too. And if she has a 3DS, I recommend Monster Hunter Stories where you collect monsters, fight together with them in turn-based battles and can customize their genes.

Or could it be that there's nothing "wrong" with the PS4 games she has tried and she just likes playing a handheld console more than a home console?

2 hours ago, Joker said:

What Monter Hunter did you play? I basically never play online because I hate most people for the exact traits you listed above, but I always have fun with Monster Hunter.

I haven't played World myself, but a quick loom on YouTube and Gamefaqs is all I need to see.

I played one of the older PS2 ones at my friends house years ago. I don't know which one it was.