Favorite Colossus

SuperSaiyan3985

Since the first post under this title was supposedly "cancelled," but no one's bothered to delete it for the author as he doesn't know how, I'm just going to start this new one that actually relates to Shadow of the Colossus. Any who, what's your favorite Colossus? Mine is #13, Phalanx. I think its level design perfectly incorporates the bow, horse, and sword into epic battle. That and the colossus itself is a badass sky dragon. Running alongside it and jumping on its wings through the windy desert is so cool!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My favorite was hydrus back on ps3. It didn't glow anywhere as much as on the ps4 and all you saw was a very dark shadow. The fight itself was simple enough but the first time you fight it, knowing something absolutely gigantic is right below the waters surface circling you was a little nerve-racking. 

• Like 2

One of the most special games of all time. I didnt play ps4 version but I played this game countless time both on ps2 and ps3 and platted on ps3 so still I remember it very well and here is my comment I made for the same topic on ps3 version.. 

Avion and Quadratus was cool to fight, i dont like fighting gaius and phaedra. Barba,argus and phaedra are very hard in hard time attack but when you face and defeated gaius in hard time attack mode you could consider yourself as an expert, actually you should be an expert to do that.

• Like 1

Contrary to others, I only played the re-make.  I never played the original on PS2 or PS3, regretfully.

Phalanx (13), Pelagia (12) and Gaius (3) are my favourites, in that order

Phalanx is great because you need to do more or less everything.  Use Agro, use your bow, climb a massive beast and nagivate the skies.  It's really fun, and the time attack was fun too.   Pelagia I love for similar reasons, and is probably the most visually impressive colossus imo.

Talking exclusively to beat for fun, Gaius is up there.  Yes, I know, on time attack Gaius is a nightmare. 100% agree.  However, I think that Gaius was the first Colossus where I thought "Wow, this is a really cool concept."  I think the mechanics are good, and the hard spot adds an extra challenge.

Least favourite, easily, is Celosia (11).  I feel that the game's controls are literally so terrible in this part that beating it is pure luck.  It's pretty counter-inuitive what you need to do, and getting in a death lock is super frustrating.  There is a spot where he doesn't shake but its very hard to find.  Also generally don't like Basaran (9); again, I find it very luck dependent, getting him on the geisers the right way is a royal pain and also find that just as he's rising when you climb up you can go flying for no reason.

Edited by phantomfear9494
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Atom1cMoose said:

My favorite was hydrus back on ps3. It didn't glow anywhere as much as on the ps4 and all you saw was a very dark shadow. The fight itself was simple enough but the first time you fight it, knowing something absolutely gigantic is right below the waters surface circling you was a little nerve-racking. 

IKR? So scary.

17 hours ago, Darpiom said:

One of the most special games of all time. I didnt play ps4 version but I played this game countless time both on ps2 and ps3 and platted on ps3 so still I remember it very well and here is my comment I made for the same topic on ps3 version.. 

Avion and Quadratus was cool to fight, i dont like fighting gaius and phaedra. Barba,argus and phaedra are very hard in hard time attack but when you face and defeated gaius in hard time attack mode you could consider yourself as an expert, actually you should be an expert to do that.

Yeah Gaius is a pain in the ass, hate him.

17 hours ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Contrary to others, I only played the re-make.  I never played the original on PS2 or PS3, regretfully.

Phalanx (13), Pelagia (12) and Gaius (3) are my favourites, in that order

Phalanx is great because you need to do more or less everything.  Use Agro, use your bow, climb a massive beast and nagivate the skies.  It's really fun, and the time attack was fun too.   Pelagia I love for similar reasons, and is probably the most visually impressive colossus imo.

Talking exclusively to beat for fun, Gaius is up there.  Yes, I know, on time attack Gaius is a nightmare. 100% agree.  However, I think that Gaius was the first Colossus where I thought "Wow, this is a really cool concept."  I think the mechanics are good, and the hard spot adds an extra challenge.

Least favourite, easily, is Celosia (11).  I feel that the game's controls are literally so terrible in this part that beating it is pure luck.  It's pretty counter-inuitive what you need to do, and getting in a death lock is super frustrating.  There is a spot where he doesn't shake but its very hard to find.  Also generally don't like Basaran (9); again, I find it very luck dependent, getting him on the geisers the right way is a royal pain and also find that just as he's rising when you climb up you can go flying for no reason.

Yup! Phalanx is such a well-designed fight because it incorporates everything.

But why would you regret not playing the game earlier? I played it for the first time on PS4 and I'm glad I experienced it for the first time in amazing graphics.

On 06/06/2018 at 7:58 AM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

But why would you regret not playing the game earlier? I played it for the first time on PS4 and I'm glad I experienced it for the first time in amazing graphics.

I imagine the feeling of playing this, when it came out, would have been mind-blowing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just started this on PS4 this weekend but remember whole very well from PS2. #5 blew my brain out back in the days and so it did just a while ago, fantastic encounter, epic, majestic, magic. Right after is #3, not far though, along with the rest, the whole game is just masterpiece.

• 6 months later...

Avion, the 5th colossus. The slow approach in swimming towards it with the light violin playing, getting its attention with an arrow, and perfectly timing your jump on its wing before getting struck. Then boom, the best track in the game gets going as you hope to not fall off before the end. Punishment wasn’t dying but rather swimming all the way back to a platform. Good times. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, D-Square23 said:

I'm having trouble remembering which number it is. But the water serpent/eel one is my favorite. Story Time if you'll indulge me:

I have a major phobia of large bodies of water. Oceans, DEEP Lakes. Because my imagination runs wild with "what could be lurking at the bottom?" Images of the Kraken, Jaws, Giant Alligator Monsters, Nessie, etc. They pop into my head and I panic, envisioning a large tentacle wrapping itself around my leg. So when I played the Ps2 version when I was 10 or 11 I remember having to go to the the big Lake to fight it. And I stared into that water and was scared as can be. And this was after having to swim in a couple large lakes to fight the big eagle colossus and cross the water to get onto the ramp for the big sword knight colossus on the giant platform. I stopped playing for a couple days and had to summon the courage to jump in that water. Finally convinced myself that saving Mono's soul was more important than my fear of deep, dark water. And I died twice because my fingers wouldn't respond to what needed to be done. Finally I beat it. And it was more than conquering a video game boss. Felt like conquering an age old fear. In the remaster and remakes and even when I replayed the ps2 game has a kid after my first play through, I no longer hesitate jumping in. And aspects of that victory have translated into my adult life as well :D Thanks for listening/reading.

That’s quite the tale my friend! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...