My Evil Within 2 Review

Dreakon13

Whenever I finish a game, I usually post it up on Steam (on my activity feed since I don't own/play games there anymore and can't officially post reviews for a lot of them) for friends to read.

Figure I may start bringing them here to get the perspectives of the gamers of PSNP, and give myself another platform to spill my brain with whatever thoughts I have on the game before moving onto the next one.  Please feel free to read, enjoy, critique or disagree as needed.  I don't do the trophy thing anymore, so anything I post probably won't have much about trophies.  Just about the game, story, etc.  If this is against some sort of rule, please feel free to move/delete the thread.

Mild spoilers ahead...

Spoiler

Best word I can use to describe The Evil Within 2 is very "Hollywood".  That thought repeated through my head as I wrapped up my playthrough.  Cinematic heavy, toned down, with writing dangerously toeing the line of cliche/predictable.  It's as though they saw people complaining about the confusing, slow drip story of the first game and decided to go to the other extreme... explaining everything this time around.  The inclusion of quest-giving NPC's and dialog trees bring the games pace to a screeching halt at times.  Thankfully these dragging, semi-open world chapters are kept to around 1/3 of the games total playtime (give or take depending on your penchant for exploration)... leaving the more atmospheric, linear chapters to shine.

Fortunately for The Evil Within, all of that aside, it's worth explaining.  The concept driving The Evil Within, IMO, is a fascinating and horrifying take on the human psyche... and giving the story and characters more spotlight leads to some genuinely touching moments.  Especially towards the end.

This time around, Mobius is less of this shadowy. unknown entity with a cryptic device/world bred of the tortured mind of a madman, and more of a traditional "evil corporation".  And that more toned down, tame identity is reflected throughout the game.  It's still rife with the series classic disturbing imagery, shapeshifting world design, big ugly bosses and exciting set pieces... but it's more expected now.  It would've been nice to see the sequel push the envelope a little further, instead of never venturing too far out of their comfort zone.

It's also reflected in its difficulty.  The game is much easier than TEW1 (played on the same "Survival" difficulty in both games).  Personally, I welcomed it since I've grown to find the brutal challenge in certain games nowadays very off-putting... but it's hard to ignore that being another example of TEW2 playing it safe.  Higher difficulties are available and post-game unlockables may help the game feel like more of a challenge, for those interested.

All and all, I enjoyed it.  The opening hours were grueling for me, since I found the plodding open world-isms clashing with the intensity I came to expect from the franchise... but it quickly finds its identity.  A more by-the-numbers, but ultimately enjoyable in its own right, identity.

Side note: I really appreciated the references/callbacks to the first game, specifically the less subtle ones towards the end. :)

Edited by Dreakon13