Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

11 hours ago, AlchemyAwesome said:

lol sony is awful for customer service

Heh this is what happened to me last week... i have a problem with a PSOne Classic not being compatible on Vita despite being advertised as such, they asked me screenshots about my issue, i sent them, and what did they suggest me to do then? To use CMA to transfer audio and video files on my Vita. LOL.

11 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Heh this is what happened to me last week... i have a problem with a PSOne Classic not being compatible on Vita despite being advertised as such, they asked me screenshots about my issue, i sent them, and what did they suggest me to do then? To use CMA to transfer audio and video files on my Vita. LOL.

i literally had to quote their own policy on refunds (like 2 weeks after buying if you haven't downloaded) directly from the sony website, to get a refund on a game i bought digitally but had physical anyway

i wonder if they're random people from a call center or something without any specific interest in sony or video games sometimes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlchemyAwesome said:

i literally had to quote their own policy on refunds (like 2 weeks after buying if you haven't downloaded) directly from the sony website, to get a refund on a game i bought digitally but had physical anyway

i wonder if they're random people from a call center or something without any specific interest in sony or video games sometimes

Depends on you nation, for instance if you are from the Nordic region in Europe, its Nordisk Film Interactive you are going to deal with and not Sony.

• Like 2

On 20.02.2018 at 9:52 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

No, i think it's the right punishment.They trolled with a silly username,Sony let them build a library and then trolled them by banning them.The joke's on them

Punishment should fit, right? The guy is clearly in the wrong, but taking away everything he accrued over the years is too much.

On 20.02.2018 at 9:53 PM, Terra said:

I find it odd it took Sony 8 years to finally ban the username. Something in this story isn't being told.

It's strange, on one hand it doesn't look like Sony's ever gonna do anything about anything without someone reporting offensive content. So this looks like a typical case of someone reporting it (it took years, because in the PS3 days Sony didn't even have the sytem in place to read any reports, let alone act on them. They're so behind...). What's strange though, is that in February 2018 there was actually a whole wave of bannings (it may still be going on) on the grounds of offensive names. So it looks like Sony has changed its external policy on the offensive names offensiveness.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Well with name change now, they can just make anyone with offensive names to change. Banning would be too far.

We can only hope. But it might make a bit too much sense for them to do that. They could just say the ToS violations still deserve a ban.

I posted something I got from sony 2 weeks ago similiar to this thread earlier.  I got a email from sony that miy  psn name was potential for copyright law infringement.  Had the word Xfinity on it.  Was surprised by it since I created it 3 years ago.  Makes sense now that they added psn name changes.  Good thing was that I was given time to call them back and they refunded some things I purchased on the account.  But it will close automatically at end of the month. So here I am with a new account.  Made sure I was in no issues with this name.  Atleast now they are kinda taking it more serious now.  Cant imagine the shear amount of names that they are probably going through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 1:58 PM, EternalChaos72 said:

Yeah this is true. Once your account is banned anything you bought with that account is also lost forever since you can't access the PS store with that account. Don't understand why people would want to buy digital copies anyway, the prices are a joke. 

In my case I cannot own a large physical library. I work in live entertainment and travel with my company year round for 8 months at a time. We never stay in a location amy longer than two weeks because we work with venues and arenas all over the country. While I agree physical is better in most cases, digital still provides the most sensible solution to cases such as mine.