Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

4 minutes ago, Arin1979 said:

Something like that happened to a colleague of mine, his nickname was TusMuertos (YourDead) and from Sony UK he was forced to change ID keeping games and trophies.
The nick he has now if it is to put him in jail.

Nice they let him keep his stuff.

What do you mean jail?

1 minute ago, K_Raw21 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't know what is offensive about his name? Maybe I'm naive or need more coffee but I don't see what is wrong with his username. King Mad AF AKA? is it because of the AF which is abbreviated as As F**k in some cultures?:hmm:

Change the spaces

King Mada Faka

with a bit of imagination you'll get there ;)

1 hour ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:
Sony Bans PSN Account Due To Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created

I mean the guy's name was KINGMADAFAKA, lol, but why ban, why not let him change his username? I've heard people before that had the opportunity by Sony to change their "offensive (omg so offensive)" PSN names. I think even if you can change your PSN user name, you lose all your trophies, but still get to keep your games, I am not sure really.

I imagine, when trying to create a PSN name (haven't tried this myself), it won't allow you to put an actual bad word like Sh*t and F*ck. But if you misspell it or use it as a play of words, you can get past the system.

Could you imagine having an account for a long time, then it suddenly gets banned, you lose access to all your digital library. For those that are the white knights of a digital only future, you forget those games don't really belong to you, Sony can take them away at any time. With physical, they can't take it away...

This answers so many questions. I saw a gamer the other day and his name was basically "Nut in her butt" and I was like, Hey-ooo!! He's playing risky. I figure if he got reported, it would get banned, but what would happen to his purchases etc. 

1 hour ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Ever think about all the digital games he or people like him (non-trophy hunters, they exist lol) have purchased?

That was my point. Judging from his account, I highly doubt he had very many digital games on it. If someone lost thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars worth of games because of something like this, I wouldn't blame them if they tried to sue Sony over it... granted they would probably lose, but still. ? 

That's why I always try to stick with physical games, just in case something does ever happen.

• Like 1

It is a bit harsh in that they clearly were alright with it for 8 years. I think they should have either not let that name in the first place or allowed the user to change their user name.

This reminds me of pokemon and Neopets. Back in my days of Blue and silver version, you could name your Pokemon all sorts of offensive names which my brother really took advantage off. These days, even normal names are banned, like the name Violet which is one of my favourite names but the newer Pokemon games seem to think it's an offensive word. Censorship is also skyrocketing these days compared to older games and even movies. Neopets was the same back in the early 2000s, account freezing for even writing the word stupid. 

I like to play it safe and usually just use my name, as I think naming a silly or offensive name might make one regret it later, especially with the amount of effort that goes into trophy hunting.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

I am not sure that I agree that this is a reasonable response.  I mean SONY let him make the name...  That name isn't even bad, it is just kind of close to something that may be bad.  That isn't a good reason to lose your account... 

If that is the case, where is the line?  What is too close to a curse word or an offensive term?

FU? FuYo? FukU? FukYou? FeckYou? F.u.c.k.U.? Fu Ck Yo U?

There is no clear rule, and MADAFAKA is not in any way a bad word... 

Yup, Sony let him make and use the name, until he went to play publicly with it and then as soon as someone said they were offended by the annunciation of his nickname, King Mother Fucker, Sony reviewed and took action.

Sony defines "the line" (underlined below) in the ToS: You may not take any action, or upload, post, stream, or transmit any content, language, images or sounds in any forum, communication, public profile, or other publicly viewable areas or in the creation of any Online ID that SIE LLC, SIEA or its affiliates find, in their sole discretion, offensive, hateful, or vulgar.

2 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

It is a bit harsh in that they clearly were alright with it for 8 years. I think they should have either not let that name in the first place or allowed the user to change their user name.

See above for the first part of your suggestion.

And for all the cases I've known about, Sony *has* offered to transfer licenses to a new account. What really happened with this guy that was so different?

9 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Censorship is also skyrocketing these days compared to older games and even movies.

None of your examples are actual censorship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Lmao.

BULLSTOMP THE INQUISITOR!

He took a penny? A breadcrrrrrrumb?

TO THE GUILLOTINE!

He platted My Name is Mayo? 

OFF WITH HIS HEAD! TAKE HIM TO THE BLOCK!

He forgot to join the boosting session he signed up for?

LET HIM BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED!

DISTRIBUTE HIS REMAINS TO THE FOUR CORNERS OF PSNP SO EVERYONE CAN WITNESS THE TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES OF REBELLION!

And he was 12 at the time when he made his PSN name aka a kid. Also you don't think kids can do "filthy" jokes? lol smh. Speaking of kids today, they probably have every sexual term in Urban Dictionary memorized than the chemical formula for water lmao!

There are kids playing online? Lmao Who do you think is talking all the crap if you decide to play an online game...

Bullstomp the Inquisitor, I LOVE it!❤

So by your logic, kids already deal with profanity so why fix it? As a parent I really think that is lazy and irresponsible.

Let's speak plainly. There really is no justifiable reason to make such a name. I don't care how old the user is. 

So no, I am not saying kill, mutilate or even embarrass the user. But if that user can't use some common sense when making their gamer tag then they deserve to have it revoked. Anything else would be enabling bad behavior.

• Like 1

I've seen the PSN ID "BALLZ_ARE_SOAR" and "El_Put-0" get banned for username violations and I think if BALLZ_ARE_SOAR could be banned, anyone can really. But everything can offend anyone. I remember hearing of a guy who's first name was Jihad and he put that name in his PSN ID and that also got him banned. I think if you've had your PSN ID for a long enough time, you shouldn't be getting banned for the PSN ID, it was Sony's fault in the first place for not filtering usernames so they couldn't be made in an offensive way, they made the network so they should have known how to stop specific names from being made. Also, your purchases do get transferred to a new account and it also seems like trophies get sent over as well, since BALLZ_ARE_SOAR's trophies were replaced with a random PSN ID. PSN ID changes coming would allow for people to have a chance to change their embarrassing ID, the guy has probably changed a lot since he made his account 8 years ago and I don't think something he did so long ago should affect his account for the rest of his life. Also, another thing I'd like to say is that a lot of these people on PSN mainly only play online games that have an older age rating on the box, it's a parents fault for letting their kids play Call of Duty and see PSN IDs like his on their screen. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sergen said:

it was Sony's fault in the first place for not filtering usernames so they couldn't be made in an offensive way

As has been said and the ToS spell out, you are allowed to make any username, even if it's offensive. You just have to stay offline permanently to keep it.

8 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I didn't give any examples of censorship in my post. I was just mentioning that censorship has increased overall. The examples I gave are separate. 

Sorry, I didn't realize the sentence in the middle of your post was completely unrelated to the rest of your post. Totally my mistake.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Bullstomp the Inquisitor, I LOVE it!2764.png

So by your logic, kids already deal with profanity so why fix it? As a parent I really think that is lazy and irresponsible.

Let's speak plainly. There really is no justifiable reason to make such a name. I don't care how old the user is. 

So no, I am not saying kill, mutilate or even embarrass the user. But if that user can't use some common sense when making their gamer tag then they deserve to have it revoked. Anything else would be enabling bad behavior.

Do what you must, for I have already won...

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up

2 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

It is weird specially because Sony is working on a way to change the username, I would say Sony should ban those guys IF there is an actual way to change it.

I don't think this is what they're doing. Rather, they're probably working on just making it like in Japan where you can have a different display name.

Also, I got no idea why you would put a lot of money into an account with a username that you'd get banned over.

• Like 2