Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

I've seen the PSN ID "BALLZ_ARE_SOAR" and "El_Put-0" get banned for username violations and I think if BALLZ_ARE_SOAR could be banned, anyone can really. But everything can offend anyone. I remember hearing of a guy who's first name was Jihad and he put that name in his PSN ID and that also got him banned. I think if you've had your PSN ID for a long enough time, you shouldn't be getting banned for the PSN ID, it was Sony's fault in the first place for not filtering usernames so they couldn't be made in an offensive way, they made the network so they should have known how to stop specific names from being made. Also, your purchases do get transferred to a new account and it also seems like trophies get sent over as well, since BALLZ_ARE_SOAR's trophies were replaced with a random PSN ID. PSN ID changes coming would allow for people to have a chance to change their embarrassing ID, the guy has probably changed a lot since he made his account 8 years ago and I don't think something he did so long ago should affect his account for the rest of his life. Also, another thing I'd like to say is that a lot of these people on PSN mainly only play online games that have an older age rating on the box, it's a parents fault for letting their kids play Call of Duty and see PSN IDs like his on their screen. 

As soon as I saw this thread I was think of Ballz. Not only did he have a great plat collection but was a great guy as well. 

I know he started again but it was bullshit that he didn't even get the option to change his name.

• Like 1

I don't think that's a "bad" enough username to deserve getting banned. And having it for that long and being a customer for so long to get banned after all this time is absurd. Just another reason to support name changes. If that username is considered offensive enough, then imagine how many others are out there like that. Sure, some out there probably actually deserve it. But still, just make it so someone can change their name so they don't get banned, especially if they've had the account for quite a while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuzzieWingman said:

Because they've probably been 12 this whole time.

Looks at location...Shitney.

Makes sense.

<3

17 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

And to think that I seriously considered naming my acc buttsweat or jellyboobs..........

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up
  • Like 2

I dunno. I kind of feel like not using profanity in usernames/certain public places/etc. is common knowledge. Like, if I went to Disneyworld, I absolutely could wear a shirt that said "fuck" on it. Maybe I'd make it the whole day and get away with it, but I'd also run the risk of being kicked out of the park if someone complained...which would be my own fault. That's not, like, a recent thing either? Cohen v. California was decided in the 70's. There's the infamous scene from A Christmas Story where Ralphie drops an F-bomb and gets punished for it. People have always been offended over the word. Maybe they shouldn't be, but it's not like it's due to recent oversensitivity.

I got eliminated in Overwatch the other day by someone with the username "Dongtoucher". I think it's hilarious. I also acknowledge they're running the risk of being banned for it.

• Like 2

Just now, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Yeah always post text underneath a gif.

We can't have gif/image only posts. It is deemed too offensive, you know? 1f602.png

i remembered just in time...a gif with a super offensive message, not in English, and no text?...was living on the edge there and risking ban status myself...i'll bet at least one person was hovering over the "report" button...

11 minutes ago, GlennRhee said:

I dunno. I kind of feel like not using profanity in usernames/certain public places/etc. is common knowledge. Like, if I went to Disneyworld, I absolutely could wear a shirt that said "fuck" on it. Maybe I'd make it the whole day and get away with it, but I'd also run the risk of being kicked out of the park if someone complained...which would be my own fault. That's not, like, a recent thing either? Cohen v. California was decided in the 70's. There's the infamous scene from A Christmas Story where Ralphie drops an F-bomb and gets punished for it. People have always been offended over the word. Maybe they shouldn't be, but it's not like it's due to recent oversensitivity.

I got eliminated in Overwatch the other day by someone with the username "Dongtoucher". I think it's hilarious. I also acknowledge they're running the risk of being banned for it.

Good example.

I mean that is kinda trashy, wearing a t-shirt like that in Disneyworld. Free speech and whatnot, still trashy. Not even whimsical or witty.

But losing all your digital content and getting completely banned for some silly PSN name that is not even violent/hateful towards a person or persons... meh.

• Like 4

I'd be ringing and emailing Sony multiple times every single day. Take the complaint to sites like Kotaku and whatnot and try to get as much publicity around it as you can. That's bullshit dude, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. You can't decide you don't like their name 8 years after the mark and revoke potentially thousands of dollars worth of their content.

Digital only future can fuck right off really. Banning the name is one thing, forcing them to change the name is alright, hell locking their ability to go online but letting them keep their shit is still dodgy as hell, but what Sony's done here is unacceptable. 

This is deadset pathetic and if I wasn't far too busy to actually get into it, I'd be having a nice good yell about this. Poor dude.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Yet another strong argument for letting people change their usernames.

It's not about the arguments for or against doing it, it's about how difficult it is to implement. What is likely to happen soon is that they allow us to do like in Japan, have a different "display name", not change PSN username.

Example:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/476-demons-souls/sc104024?order=date

Look at the username:

2018_02_21_00h08_14.png

See the Japanese signs? Well, that's their display name, while sc104024 is their username.

More example:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/476-demons-souls/Angelque?order=date

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/476-demons-souls/Mituba?order=date

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/476-demons-souls/lethne?order=date

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/476-demons-souls/Lupen?order=date

etc

These are all Japanese accounts!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'd be ringing and emailing Sony multiple times every single day. Take the complaint to sites like Kotaku and whatnot and try to get as much publicity around it as you can. That's bullshit dude, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. You can't decide you don't like their name 8 years after the mark and revoke potentially thousands of dollars worth of their content.

Digital only future can fuck right off really. Banning the name is one thing, forcing them to change the name is alright, hell locking their ability to go online but letting them keep their shit is still dodgy as hell, but what Sony's done here is unacceptable. 

This is deadset pathetic and if I wasn't far too busy to actually get into it, I'd be having a nice good yell about this. Poor dude.

I always like it when you post, not just because I agree with you, but because you set the balance.

You got a huge influx of people saying = No No MadaFaka is very inappropriate. Very inappropriate PSN name! He must be punished. It destroys the moral fabric of society.

(Then these people who says this things, go off into their own lives and be hypocrites of course lol).

Then anyone who criticizes or use logic on these "fake-righteous people", get gang banged by the SJWs.

But then there's people like you, lol, you come in guns blazing and say Naw Man F THIS SHIT BOIIII!

LMAO <3

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

Good example.

I mean that is kinda trashy, wearing a t-shirt like that in Disneyworld. Free speech and whatnot, still trashy. Not even whimsical or witty.

But losing all your digital content and getting completely banned for some silly PSN name that is not even violent/hateful towards a person or persons... meh.

Yeah, that's extreme, and I don't like that he's had all his licenses revoked. I still think it's common sense not to make your username something involving profanity, but I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

This makes me worry for my own name 

Nah don't worry bro, you'll be alright. And if anything were to happen, you will have the strength to overcome.

Take it from me.
/lights cig
I got a lot of enemies here on PSNP, who wish to destroy me. (think Kratos vs. Olympus). But I will never give up, never surrender! Lmao!

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling,
no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.
  • Like 1

This is exactly the type of situation that shows the downside of the digital only era. You don't truly own anything and what you do 'own' can be taken from you without your consent. Using the word 'offensive' in the terms and conditions and leaving it to Sony's discretion to interpret what that means is crazy.

Where does it begin? Or end? As a Christian, for example, should I go around and report every username with a 666 at the end of it because it's the number of the beast and the complete opposite of what I stand for? How could Sony argue against it?

There should most definitely be the option to change the name or as stated earlier, at least the visible username. To ban an account with no other options start fresh because 'tough crap because we said so' isn't good enough. Regardless of the name, an outright ban on an account that someone has spent money on without refund or reimbursement or an option to transfer everything is wrong.

Edited by kraven_15
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kraven_15 said:

This is exactly the type of situation that shows the downside of the digital only era. You don't truly own anything and what you do 'own' can be taken from you without your consent. Using the word 'offensive' in the terms and conditions and leaving it to Sony's discretion to interpret what that means is crazy.

Where does it begin? Or end? As a Christian, for example, should I go around and report every username with a 666 at the end of it because it's the number of the beast and the complete opposite of what I stand for? How could Sony argue against it?

There should most definitely be the option to change the name or as stated earlier, at least the visible username. To ban an account with no other options start fresh because 'tough crap because we said so' isn't good enough. Regardless of the name, an outright ban on an account that someone has spent money on without refund or reimbursement or an option to transfer everything is wrong.

Exactly.

What's even crazier is that you got people like Bullstomp (who I thought was a cool person), sephiroth4424 and all the other SJWS who thumbs up their comments think the guy "should be punished" Punished as if he committed some crime lmao.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, beerwego said:

The irony of banning an account name like this whilst I'm playing Saints Row 3 and just got the Ow my balls trophy and Stay Classy Steel port where you have to kill gang members with the penetrator!..... Good job I'm not a sensitive soul!! 

And there's this point...

Here's a trophy description from Shadow of the Damned:

Now That's a Big Fuckin' Gun
Defeat 40 enemies with the SKULLFEST 9000

This is a trophy visible to everyone on every profile. Not too offensive? How is this ok by comparison?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Yeah, dinosaws are so offensive!

@MMDE i think even Castlevania Harmony of Despair allowed in-game username change for JPN players...

This is not game specific, I just used Demon's Asian version because it's the Asian version.

To be fair, I've seen tons of inappropriate user names.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1