Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

6 hours ago, Dorroile said:

Did you just forget to mention pears? Are you implying that apples are better than pears, and trying to erase pear contributions to history? I'll have you know that there are several historical sources that state that Newton actually got hit in the head with a pear, not an apple... But you fruitist bigots are just trying to shove that under the rug, along with all the pro-apple monsters in the fruit stand industry.

I'm just gonna put this right here - https://youtu.be/Bqxnm6t3QMw?t=1m28s

Also, to add my 2 cents to the thread, I have no problem with Sony wanting to regulate what they see as inappropriate or offensive for online gaming, but not like this.  I've run into so many people openly cheating, swearing, and yelling racial slurs, but I've personally never seen one of them be banned.  Then this name gets banned? lol

A fair solution is like others have said, a warning and a name change, but you keep all your stuff.  Imagine if you were at work in a public setting (retail or something) and dropped something heavy on your toe and screamed 'Fuck'.  You would get written up or fired, but the company you work for isn't going into your bank account and taking back all the money they ever paid you.  To me, this is the same thing, and downright criminal.  Do I think KINGMADAFAKA is a moron, sure.  And I find it funny that they got caught being a moron.  But I do not agree with the severity of their punishment, it's way too harsh.

And on the note of offensive usernames (or just being offended in general), I live in a very 'progressive', 'pc' or whatever you want to call it area (SF Bay Area) and people here choose to get offended by every little tiny thing.  I go back east to visit family and I'm in awe of some of the things they just say publicly, but I see it as 2 extremes.  I'm much more a moderate.  And to use common sense, we need to find some middle ground here, it's not all or nothing.  An 'offensive' username is hardly a serious crime.  Take offense when someone murders or rapes another human being, not when someone uses a seemingly bad word in their username.  People are just far too sensitive these days.  It worries me as I've seen people get offended over nothing so many times in real life, that I'm sure someone could find a legitimate sounding reason to be offended by every username on this thread (well, legitimate enough to get the name banned), the people saying 'good, he deserved it' included.  I'm far from a kid and don't understand most of the recent slang or most of what's on sites like urban dictionary, for all I know the last 3 letters of my name, LSI, could be some new gang slang (despite being the acronym for a music site I used to post on years ago), and someone could easily report me.  It really wouldn't take much for most of us, no matter how innocent we think our names are.  While I don't buy digital hardly ever, I have accumulated well over 9000 trophies the last 7-8 years, since I first got a PS3, and I would be pretty irate if my name was banned and I lost all that.  From the sound of a lot of the posts here, it seems if you take offense and Sony agrees, then it only takes 1 complaint.  I'm sure I could find 1 person in the world offended by my name.  Supposedly Matto is finish for carpet, so maybe someone from Finland will report me someday.  Guess everytime I attempt an online trophy it's just a roll of the dice, huh? 

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

A couple MMOs I played in the past made you change your username to something appropriate, if you got caught. Otherwise you would just be left with a bunch of numbers and a couple dashes. 

I would hate to feel how I would react to losing my Runescape and World of Warcraft accounts, that I’ve collectively spent around 9000 hours of my life on playing. Only to have them taken away because the companies couldn’t care less. Blizzard Entertainment cares nothing more than a big profit margin. And since they’ve been in bed with Activision, that’s mostly what they’ve been focusing on. 

This is just bad on Sony’s end. You don’t like a name some kid made up, then fine. But don’t outright ban the player when Microsoft and other companies have given their playerbase the option to change the offensive username. 

What a load of bullshit. If they bought mostly digital games, that’s thousands of dollars down the drain.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

It should be illegal to ban an account that prevents you from using games. It's one thing to ban you so you can't play online however if you purchased a game then they should have no right to prevent you from accessing them. 
That's basically theft.

• Like 2

To be honest, wasting money on something intangible such as digital games or downloadable content and then get banned for something like using an offensive username and lose all your content without the possibility to negotiate or even get a refund, I think that is an abusive clause and you all should be concerned. This could happen to anyone, and that's not funny. This is something that should be addressed and modified in some way the user could solve this problem without getting banned in the first place.

"shoot and ask later" - Sony

Edited by Katt
typo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Katt said:

To be honest, wasting money on something intangible such as digital games or downloadable content and then get banned for something like using an offensive username and lose all your content without the posibility to negotiate or even get a refund, I think that is an abusive clause and you all should be concerned. This could happen to anyone, and that's not funny. This is something that should be adressed and modified in some way the user could solve this problem without getting banned in the first place.

"shoot and ask later" - Sony

"For the Players" lmao 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

There is some high-sensitive people over here because some people got high-sensitive about an account's ID which resulted in a ban. Irony at its finest.

But then some trophies have dirty words on them, as one person listed “Fuck” is one of the words on a trophy you can earn. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

You don’t like a name some kid made up, then fine. But don’t outright ban the player when Microsoft and other companies have given their playerbase the option to change the offensive username. 

What a load of bullshit. If they bought mostly digital games, that’s thousands of dollars down the drain.

Kid + bought digital games for thousands of dollars.... yeah, something wrong in your logic right there.

You're a dumbass if you create a public account with an offensive username and spend thousands of dollars on that account. And I know about some rather interesting usernames with a ton of trophies.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Kid + bought digital games for thousands of dollars.... yeah, something wrong in your logic there.

You're a dumbass if you create a public account with an offensive username and spend thousands of dollars on that account.

Yeah sure, this kid probably didn’t know any better and he paid the price. 

Which is is why PSN name changes should be a thing now. Microsoft decides to force players to change their names, because they likely don’t want a situation on their hands when someone’s account gets permanently banned. Not a suspension, not a restriction in playing online games, no reimbursements, no refunds, nothing. A straight up ban. The fact that Sony did this in 2018 is disgusting. There’s plenty of online services these days that freely let you change your name every few months, or once a year. Why Sony can’t do something that basic and simple is beyond me.

Personally I couldn’t care less about this guy. But it’s straight up irony when I have seen dozens of names that are just as offensive as MadaFada. As in everyone is going to assume “Mother Fucker” as the asshat who reported him probably felt. 

And after eight years the ban hammer was applied. If Sony was going to enforce against using bad, childish names then they shouldn’t of allowed him to make that name at the start. His account would of been banned within weeks, and that, to me, would of been a lot better.

A couple MMOs I’ve played won’t let you use Jesus, or Hitler. That’s perfectly acceptable, because those names are highly controversial and would generate too much of a bad rep. 

Is this kid a dumbass because he made a possibly offensive name when he was a lot younger? I’ll let you answer that one.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 4

Just now, Spaz said:

Yeah sure, this kid probably didn’t know any better and he paid the price. 

Which is is why PSN name changes should be a thing now. Microsoft decides to force players to change their names, because they likely don’t want a situation on their hands when someone’s account gets permanently banned. Not a suspension, not a restriction in playing online games, no reimbursements, no refunds, nothing. A straight up ban.

Personally I couldn’t care less about this guy. But it’s straight up irony when I have seen dozens of names that are just as offensive as MadaFada. As in everyone is going to assume “Mother Fucker” as the asshat who reported him probably felt. 

And after eight years the ban hammer was applied. If Sony was going to enforce against using bad, childish names then they shouldn’t of allowed him to make that name. 

A couple MMOs I’ve played won’t let you use Jesus, or Hitler. That’s perfectly acceptable, because those names are highly controversial and would generate too much of a bad rep. 

Is this his kid a dumbass because he made a possibly offensive name when he was a lot younger? I’ll let you answer that one.

I think you missed my point entirely. If it's a kid, what's it doing with thousands of dollars. Obviously some lack of parenting involved here. I get it, not always easy for parents not into this stuff. Sony does however offer "sub-accounts", accounts for kids, which can be upgraded once they reach 18.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

I think you missed my point entirely. If it's a kid, what's it doing with thousands of dollars. Obviously some lack of parenting involved here. I get it, not always easy for parents not into this stuff. Sony does however offer "sub-accounts", accounts for kids, which can be upgraded once they reach 18.

If he is literally still a kid then he was pretty darn young when he made the account.

A 12 year old in 2010 is now 20 years of age, if not 19. When you hit 18 you are officially a legal adult. 

What I’m getting at here is why it took EIGHT YEARS for Sony to ban the account. 

That’s just like those YouTube channels that upload copyright content. Instead of taking them down right away YouTube is going “We’re going to wait two to five years and then ban the channel.” I see this all the time on that website. Someone who posts a lesser known Michael Jackson song could have that on for several years before YouTube does anything about it.

Same problem here. It’s ludacrious, and there is no logic whatsoever. Even you have to admit that.