Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

I normally don’t visit Reddit these days and I hardly listen to what most people have to say on there due to my past experience using the website. 

This is a pretty hot discussion right now, the fact this event is triggering a lot of people says something about Sony’s support. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/7ynacz/just_got_banned_from_psn_for_a_username_that_i/

• Like 1

People defending Sony and approving of their actions are disgusting.

Banning a kid after 8 years for using a rather dumb (not even offensive; everyone is a fokin PC principle these days) nickname is not a good not just a PR move but rather lame and cheap action altogether.

Not letting him change the name is a big middle finger to all customers. The fact that we can't change our account name is laughable. Every year or two I move to a different country/continent (legit work permit, residency, etc.) and I can't change my country of residence on my PSN account. In 21st century? Ridiculous!

Microsoft is way ahead of Sony when it comes to providing customer services and support. Whenever I had any problem with my Xbox or Xbox account, everything was solved within a few days. With Sony? Keep dreaming. I personally know a few people who's account was banned for dumb reasons (their credit card declined; banks fault mind you) and their account was banned for months before Sony did anything about it!.

I'm disappointed in Sony, as usual. Guess my next console won't be PS4 Pro and PS5.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

People defending Sony and approving of their actions are disgusting.

Banning a kid after 8 years for using a rather dumb (not even offensive; everyone is a fokin PC principle these days) nickname is not a good not just a PR move but rather lame and cheap action altogether.

Not letting him change the name is a big middle finger to all customers. The fact that we can't change our account name is laughable. Every year or two I move to a different country/continent (legit work permit, residency, etc.) and I can't change my country of residence on my PSN account. In 21st century? Ridiculous!

Microsoft is way ahead of Sony when it comes to providing customer services and support. Whenever I had any problem with my Xbox or Xbox account, everything was solved within a few days. With Sony? Keep dreaming. I personally know a few people who's account was banned for dumb reasons (their credit card declined; banks fault mind you) and their account was banned for months before Sony did anything about it!.

I'm disappointed in Sony, as usual. Guess my next console won't be PS4 Pro and PS5.

When people have issues signing in on an almost daily basis and having problems with the Store, it’s no surprise they pull something stupid like this. 

It’s sheer irony because there are PSN names that are more offensive and they’ll probably never get banned. Yeah, great way to trend the line between what name is appropriate and what name isn’t.

Someone at Sony probably got all trigger sensitive when he/she saw the name KingMADAFAKA. 

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

I think you missed my point entirely. If it's a kid, what's it doing with thousands of dollars. Obviously some lack of parenting involved here. I get it, not always easy for parents not into this stuff. Sony does however offer "sub-accounts", accounts for kids, which can be upgraded once they reach 18.

Was a kid, no longer a kid. The thousands being referred to would be over the span of 8 years, most of which would probably be towards the later years. 

1 minute ago, kraven_15 said:

Was a kid, no longer a kid. The thousands being referred to would be over the span of 8 years, most of which would probably be towards the later years. 

At some point maybe you or your parents realize you shouldn't invest so much into an account with an offensive username. Not sure I agree that this is such a case, but whatever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MMDE said:

At some point maybe you or your parents realize you shouldn't invest so much into an account with an offensive username. Not sure I agree that this is such a case, but whatever.

It took 8 years to ban this username... why would he or his parents assume it would be an issue if for so long it wasn't? Especially on something as subjective and undefined as the name being 'offensive'? 

59 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

Disgusting behaviour by sony. 

Shouldve been a forced name change. 

Anyone defending these actions is sketchy at best in my opinion, I think they're only defending such gross misconduct because they're fanboys. 

"lol Sony did the right thing. He violated the Terms Of Service so now he has to pay the price! Even though he was 12 at the time. I know what I'm talking about."

- people defending Sony on this. 

It really makes you think that maybe a digital only future is a pretty dangerous direction for gaming to go in. Sony has effectively robbed him of his entire digital game collection because of a minor infraction. It's no different from a thief breaking into your house and stealing your stuff. I'm sure there's something in the 20 page ToS that says you can't do anything if you get banned. People seem to forget how volatile digital gaming is.

11 minutes ago, Mayadome said:

It really makes you think that maybe a digital only future is a pretty dangerous direction for gaming to go in. Sony has effectively robbed him of his entire digital game collection because of a minor infraction. It's no different from a thief breaking into your house and stealing your stuff. I'm sure there's something in the 20 page ToS that says you can't do anything if you get banned. People seem to forget how volatile digital gaming is.

Good words to follow. 

It really makes me wonder if PS Plus games that have a physical version are worth the trouble. 

One of this months “free” games is Knack. It’s one of the early PS4 titles, and you can get it for cheap off of GameFly, Game Stop or Amazon. Downloading it off the Store is free of charge as long as you are a Plus member. But if you don’t have Plus, or your subscription ran out, you are forced to renew your Plus membership to play Knack for free (or simply buy it via credit card, debit card or gift card). Keep note of the word free, because it’s not exactly free in a literal sense. 

I buy physical as much as I can. I have Shovel Knight and Mega Man both on disc. While it’s easy to just download those games off the store because of how small the file sizes are, I prefer physical because I like collecting games. I also don’t have to worry about getting screwed over my digital purchases if that ever happens. Sony can’t take away all the physical games I bought.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

You're a dumbass if you create a public account with an offensive username and spend thousands of dollars on that account. And I know about some rather interesting usernames with a ton of trophies.

For a supposedly respected member of this community you're being awfully antagonistic.

On another note, perhaps we should all start taking into account context, as issues are not always black and white (in terms of, say, a potential TOS violation).

Allow me to unpack: the ID tag in question is lowbrow humor at best and a borderline TOS violation at worst. To say it's "offensive" however is outright hyperbole.

Tell me, were you offended when you read this player in question insinuated he's a king who engages in fornication with mothers? What specifically about the name and what it may or may not have implied offended you?

2 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

For a supposedly respected member of this community you're being awfully antagonistic.

On another note, perhaps we should all start taking into account context, as issues are not always black and white (in terms of, say, a potential TOS violation).

Allow me to unpack: the ID tag in question is lowbrow humor at best and a borderline TOS violation at worst. To say it's "offensive" however is outright hyperbole.

Tell me, were you offended when you read this player in question insinuated he's a king who engages in fornication with mothers? What specifically about the name and what it may or may not have implied offended you?

I think you misunderstand too.

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Edited by MMDE

Just now, MMDE said:

I think you misunderstand too.

Then perhaps you should rephrase your earlier comment to exclude calling someone a "dumbass" if they foolishly -- and likely at a young age, mind you -- create a gamertag that may toe the admittedly subjective TOS line so that all may be revealed.

Would you like to respond to the latter part of my post, or shall we just continue going in circles whilst declaring things offensive? Let's get down to brass tacks: what about the name did you find offensive? Was it the KING, the MADA or the FAKA?

• Like 1

Just now, TheLakota said:

Then perhaps you should rephrase your earlier comment to exclude calling someone a "dumbass" if they foolishly -- and likely at a young age, mind you -- create a gamertag that may toe the admittedly subjective TOS line so that all may be revealed.

Would you like to respond to the latter part of my post, or shall we just continue going in circles whilst declaring things offensive? Let's get down to brass tacks: what about the name did you find offensive? Was it the KING, the MADA or the FAKA?

I do think you're a dumbass if you create a PSN account with swear words etc in the username and then spend thousands of dollars on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MMDE said:

I do think you're a dumbass if you create a PSN account with swear words etc in the username and then spend thousands of dollars on it. 

You're being needlessly obtuse. We're talking about Mister/Misses FAKA here, so I ask you again, what do you find offensive about their ID tag? Can "FAKA" really be perceived as an outright swear rather than implied?

Every time I see your name I think MDMA immediately, No offense to you at all and your posts are always solid in my opinion. It's all in the head and blown out of proportion.

I got Ninja'd, I mean you mmde.

Edited by Z1MZUM

6 minutes ago, MMDE said:

yah but dude it was a 12 year old. By the time he realized that it was a stupid inappropriate name he probably already had tons of money in it. Why abandon an account that hasn't been reported at all? Especially after 8 years. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MMDE said:

You neither really listened to what I or Lakota had to say. 

Some people assume that Mada Faka is supposedly mother fucker, which is offensive enough on its own. But Mada Faka is barely offensive, and this guy when he was 12 years old may of felt this was funny. 

I can name much more offensive names. Some people go to great lengths to think of ways to give their accounts racist and vulgar words. 

I remember seeing a username on a game I played that went along the lines of “nuckingfuts”. Switch the N and the F around and you got a name that is highly vulgar. If this guy had a name like that I could definitely see action taken against the account. 

The irony is Sony banned one account for an offensive name but they allow hundreds if not thousands of PSN names that are more offensive to go scot free. You can’t ban one account and just ignore all those other ones. 

From what I’ve been reading off of Reddit, name changing doesn’t sound all that easy to implement because of the way Sony designed the User ID system. Microsoft allows the user to make a forced name change, and that’s what Sony should be doing. 

Instead they gave out the hammer eight years after the fact. It’s complete irony and it’s bad service on Sony’s end. In the long run it’s bad for business.

Edited by Spaz

1 minute ago, Z1MZUM said:

Every time I see your name I think MDMA immediately, No offense to you at all and your posts are always solid in my opinion. It's all in the head and blown out of proportion.

I got Ninja'd, I mean you mmde.

And yes, I often hear this, but the username is based on something entirely different. It's an acronym. You can make up the acronym though, and then it might be offensive! :D

• Like 1

Just now, The Titan said:

yah but dude it was a 12 year old. By the time he realized that it was a stupid inappropriate name he probably already had tons of money in it. Why abandon an account that hasn't been reported at all? Especially after 8 years. 

It's really conjecture at this point, meaning we don't know whether they were twelve when the tag was created, nor do we know how much money was spent on the account.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

It's really conjecture at this point, meaning we don't know whether they were twelve when the tag was created, nor do we know how much money was spent on the account.

okay but he claims that he was 12. He also claims he had the account for 8 years despite the fact that his first trophy was from 2015. So I don't know if we are arguing about a 12 year old who is now 19 and got his games fucking stolen for a consequence that he risked when he was minor or the fact that he's ban for having "madafaka" in his name. Which to me, isn't a good reason to ban someone for. 8 years ago or last Tuesday it's a stupid reason either way. 

Just now, The Titan said:

okay but he claims that he was 12. He also claims he had the account for 8 years despite the fact that his first trophy was from 2015. So I don't know if we are arguing about a 12 year old who is now 19 and got his games fucking stolen for a consequence that he risked when he was minor or the fact that he's ban for having "madafaka" in his name. Which to me, isn't a good reason to ban someone for. 8 years ago or last Tuesday it's a stupid reason either way. 

I'm not arguing with you about anything; rather, I'm just pointing out that this is the Internet, a place where you can't take everything at face value. What I mean to say is, we don't nor will we ever know the full story.

Backing out of this before it devolves any further, but I'll leave those remaining with this:

carlins-quotes-10-728.jpg?cb=1217915426