Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

Just now, Sir_Bee said:

While this may be for another conversation all together, but why are these words such a problem?  You cannot say FUCK in a username, but you can say 360NoScope, or BrutalMurderer.  Why is it we are so afraid of a bad word, but are seemingly perfectly fine with violence, or the idea behind it?  I have the same opinion towards nudity.  How in the world could that be deemed worse than shooting someone?

I would probably agree with you on all of these points, assuming that I could easily keep my small (SMALL) children from seeing this. But I don't want to get into a conversation now about the relative (de)merits of censorship. My point is far simpler: if you're going to censor, give much more stringent guidelines.

To give you an idea, in my department, we recently had a heated debate on the direction of undergraduate calculus. People held opposing views strongly, and argued accordingly, but the conversation never ventured to personal insult. It didn't matter, though: our chair (who held one view very sharply) decided that the debate wasn't "collegial", and quashed it altogether. It wasn't so much that he censored the conversation. It was the fact that he used the idea of "objectionable or offensive content" to end a scholarly debate, and since there are no rules in place as to what "collegial" or "objectionable" means, he could just do whatever the hell he wanted.

Censorship, one way or the other, is probably reality. But at least give firm guidelines. Otherwise, it just descends into tyranny.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I was talking about this very thing to my wife last night, and she said this. Really, what is the difference?

Sony has trailers for games (which seem to be available to all viewers) with numerous curse words. Some of the streamers that Sony advertises curse in their streams.

It's not so much the standard of "offensive", but rather the fact that Sony seems to have no standard for "offensive" (a problem which plagues the US right now). Offensive just means whatever happens to be offensive at a particular moment, to a particular person, assuming that this person is complaining particularly. 

Honestly, I think it might be prudent to bring back the 7 words you can't say on television again.

I don't know. Is MadaFaka offensive? It sounds no more offensive than, say, Meet the Fockers, which was a wide release movie.

It’s relative if you consider or not offensive. Like I said, some people may have reported him while he was playing online. I saw a lot of nicknames that in Portuguese are considered strong words, they don’t have to know that.

Besides, just because a movie is called “Fockers” (a family “name”) and it’s considered “reasonable”, it doesn’t mean that you have free will to do the same.

There’s a game called Kona which means “p*ssy” in Portuguese. Nobody reported that because most people don’t know that game exists or simply are not offended. Those people that reported him just got offended and he had bad luck. He could just think that each human been has its own sensibility, and one day or another, it would call Sony’s attention.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

It’s relative if you consider or not offensive. Like I said, some people may have reported him while he was playing online. I saw a lot of nicknames that in Portuguese are considered strong words, they don’t have to know that.

Besides, just because a movie is called “Fockers” (a family “name”) and it’s considered “reasonable”, it doesn’t mean that you have free will to do the same.

There’s a game called Kona which means “p*ssy” in Portuguese. Nobody reported that because most people don’t know that game exists or simply are not offended. Those people that reported him just got offended and he had bad luck. He could just think that each human been has its own sensibility, and one day or another, it would call Sony’s attention.

I am well aware that this person probably wasn't reported for 8 years, and then was reported. I said this exact thing on the first page of this thread. Further,  I am aware that Sony can set its ToS to be what it wants (at least in regards to decency standards). Literally no one has suggested that Sony is bound legally to have a coherent and cohesive censorship policy.

That doesn't mean that people can't call Sony out for for their ridiculous inconsistency in applying their censorship policy. 

Honestly, I don't even know what you're arguing here. Are you actually saying that its consistent to promote a movie whose title is meant to play off of the word "fuckers", but ban a user who does the same thing? If so, that's ridiculous. Are you arguing that governing policies on content should be based exclusively on changing opinions of decency, with zero explanation of what the current opinions are? If so, that too is ridiculous.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

I agree with that. It is fine to punish people when they are being racist, bigot and sexist basically when they are talking shit but banning people because of the names is stupid. Just change their names to something like I heard someone got their name changed from no_fux to oh_shux_206

Honestly, I was gonna say a forced name change would be hilarious (if name changes were possible). The guy losing his account is ridiculous, but I also think he's a buffoon for going around profanity filters, so change his name to something like Barbie Princess for a month and then give him the option of changing it to something he wants. Cone of shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

I am well aware that this person probably wasn't reported for 8 years, and then was reported. I said this exact thing on the first page of this thread. Further,  I am aware that Sony can set its ToS to be what it wants (at least in regards to decency standards). Literally no one has suggested that Sony is bound legally to have a coherent and cohesive censorship policy.

That doesn't mean that people can't call Sony out for for their ridiculous inconsistency in applying their censorship policy. 

Honestly, I don't even know what you're arguing here. Are you actually saying that its consistent to promote a movie whose title is meant to play off of the word "fuckers", but ban a user who does the same thing? If so, that's ridiculous. Are you arguing that governing policies on content should be based exclusively on changing opinions of decency, with zero explanation of what the current opinions are? If so, that too is ridiculous.

I’m not defending Sony or the user.

Quoting one of Dostoyevsky’s characters “I believe that everyone is responsability for everything in the world... we are all equally guilty...). So, SURE Sony could already do a simple thing of allowing players to change their nicknames for these kind of things.

On the other hand, knowing that everyone has different sensabilities, he should know, along 8 years, that not every people think that his nickname is inoffensive. So why use it and not create a different account, since Sony is a Bitch about it.

About the movie, they’re different medias and services. If the studio allowed that in that time (and they might had problems back there) it doesn’t mean that other studios or services allow them. So what I’m trying to say is that if you see that someone did something wrong and nothing happened to him, it doesn’t mean that you do the same thing and have the same end.

Again, I’m not defending anyone, just saying that both are guilty somehow. 

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

Kona is also a major city on the Hawaiian islands, and means 'Lady' in Hawaiian.  Context is important, if the game was made in the US or by someone of Pacific Island decent (I know nothing about this game), for instance, it can be assumed their point of reference is not the Portuguese word for pussy.  Again this goes back to my (and others) earlier point that anything can be considered offensive by anyone at anytime.  There's plenty of words that mean something else in other languages.  Hell, there's words in the English language that are pronounced the same that have different spellings and wildly different meanings.  There's also words with numerous different definitions, all tame, one of which can form a grammatically correct sentence all on its own (see 'buffalo').  Words can be hard to interpret or understand, especially without proper education, and even common words from other languages can be hard to grasp in areas where those languages aren't common.  For instance, where I live in the US there's a large Hispanic population and hearing Spanish on the street is almost as common as English these days.  In my past work experience and schooling I became very well versed in Spanish, enough to communicate verbally, and of course the first thing I learned were all the 'bad' words.  Even so, I still run into people all the time who have no idea what any of those words mean.  My point is that words are just words, and their meaning and your understanding of their meaning may be different from someone else.  In the end, does it really matter?  Does it really hurt you that the title of a game can be translated to pussy?  Does it physically pain me or infringe on my constitutional rights because someone said a bad word in their username?  Growing up there was little to nothing being done about what is currently considered harassment in schools.  Kids were verbally and even physically abused in school.  Numerous friends of mine were dumped in garbage cans or had their heads put in the urinal on a daily basis (I was too fat back then, no one could lift me, lol)  I was all for the crackdown on the physical stuff, but the verbal stuff didn't bother me.  I mean, it did a little when it first started, but after a while I was desensitized to it and just laughed when people would circle me saying they were caught in my orbit.  I've heard every fat joke imaginable.  In the end it's exactly like that age old cliche: 'sticks and stones will break by bones, but words will never harm me'.  People today can't handle anything that doesn't make them feel good or special 100% of the time.  And if you say or do something that somehow strikes a nerve, they freak out, try to 'shame' you (god I hate the overuse and misrepresentation of that word), report you to anyone they can to get you in trouble, then go to their safe space, curl up in a ball, suck their thumb and pout.  It's ridiculous, and completely insane how overcome we are with grief when someone finds a way to be offended these days.  And the mob mentality perpetuated by angry millennials and SJWs that anyone who commits this heinous crime should face the worst punishment possible is only making things worse.  When I meet someone new I have to tell them that they can say what they want around me, I'm not offended by anything they say.  It usually takes a while for them to fully test me and eventually believe me.  Most people have a line they don't cross, I do not.  My friends in college used to joke that I started on the wrong side of the line and have completely lost track of it now.  So to me, none of this is offensive.  Not the word 'Kona' in Portuguese, not the username 'King Mother Fucker', and not a single thing people say to me.  Because at the end of the day they're all empty words without meaning, and the only perceived meaning they have is what others want them to have.  Even then, they don't hurt me.  I'm not cut, burned, broken, or pained in any way by them, even if I did choose to be offended.  I think the biggest problem with this whole situation is that people are equating spoken or written words to some kind of physical criminal act.  Calling for gross punishment because someone used a bad word... really?  This is all getting out of control and we all need to gain a little perspective, as the next stop is a dystopian society where nothing is ok ever and everyone lives in fear of offending the next person (and of course, being severely punished for it).

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

There are kids playing online,  if you want to press the system with such a name you should be prepared for consequences.  I applaud Sony's handling but question why it took so long

These "kids" that are playing online are the worst offenders of heinous language (the fact that this guy was a kid when he created the username shows that). Games have ESRB ratings, and obviously, that doesn't cover multiplayer experience, but I hear way worse than what I see in usernames. 

23 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

They violated their ToS, Sony can do whatever they want to the person. Probably what actually happened, is it took 8 years for someone to report them. Sony doesn't monitor users, they rely on reporting to find out anything. Everytime something like this happens, I say the same thing. They shouldn't have made a name like that in the first place. If it's questionable, or you're trying to get around censors, then you're doing something wrong, and shouldn't be surprised when you get banned.

Doing whatever you want to the person and being fair is the difference between having a police force and having a police state. The kid was 12, created a silly username, but does having a silly username outweigh the investment that user put into games. Sony can easily change their name. I've put thousands and thousands of dollars into digital content in the PS Store (not to mention having a PS4, a PS4 Pro, PSVR, a Vita and 4 dualshock controllers - not to mention everything on PS1/2/3/PSP). If Sony pulled this kind of shit (please don't ban me) on me, they'd lose out on a customer who has easily buried 20k into their gaming ecosystems. I assume they'd look at my account and treat me differently than this user though, which is also unfair (or maybe not, and lose a lifelong customer). 

The punishment doesn't fit the crime, so just because giant corporation CAN do something, doesn't mean they should. 

Edited by LabyrinthWorm
Words
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LabyrinthWorm said:

Doing whatever you want to the person and being fair is the difference between having a police force and having a police state. The kid was 12, created a silly username, but does having a silly username outweigh the investment that user put into games. Sony can easily change their name. I've put thousands and thousands of dollars into digital content in the PS Store (not to mention having a PS4, a PS4 Pro, PSVR, a Vita and 4 dualshock controllers - not to mention everything on PS1/2/3/PSP). If Sony pulled this kind of shit (please don't ban me) on me, they'd lose out on a customer who has easily buried 20k into their gaming ecosystems. I assume they'd look at my account and treat me differently than this user though, which is also unfair (or maybe not, and lose a lifelong customer). 

The punishment doesn't fit the crime, so just because giant corporation CAN do something, doesn't mean they should. 

Way to go to an extreme. It's just video games. Even going by your insane analogy, this isn't anything like a "polic state". If you break the law, you get punished, and there are set rules for what happens depending on what law you break. The info for these things are out there and easy to find. You can find out exactly how much time you can potentially have to do, or how much you'll have to pay, depending on what crime you commit. You can try to find a way around it, but if you get caught, it's your own fault and can't complain if you get the maximum punishment.

It's no different in this situation, except it's Sony's service and they make the rules. They say in the rules that you can get banned, and that's exactly what happened. Like I said, if you're trying to get around censors, don't be surprised if you get banned. You're breaking the rules.

Sony has to worry about all ages and keep things as appropriate as possible. If Sony let people run around with inappropriate names, and do whatever they wanted, they would have a much bigger controversy on their hands. Most parents wouldn't want their 6 year old playing a game of LittleBigPlanet and running into people with names that have things like "madafaka" in them, and then having them ask their teacher/friends what it means. They certainly wouldn't want them running around repeating it. You can block all kinds of chat in parental controls, but no amount of parental controls or monitoring can change what shows up on screen in the form of a user name. That's why the rules are in place. You don't have to like it, but like most people, you also followed the rules and don't have to worry about being banned because of your username.

At the end of the day, a kid did something stupid and against the rules, and got punished for it. A punishment that was outlined in their ToS. It wasn't an arbitrary thing.

Regarding this exact story, I am guessing there is more to it judging by the other stories about having things transferred to a new account with a new user name. (A resolution that is much more fair than simply banning). 

The bit that worries me sometimes though is the retroactive bit. Things change all the time. "Retard" used to be a medical term. "Isis" used to primarily refer to an Egyptian goddess. 

Then there is the difference across languages that has been addressed here. 

Then there are cultural differences about what is and is not offensive. For example, some places people are offended by things that others use as nicknames. I remember my Spanish teacher telling us how she doesn't understand why Americans get offended by being called "Fatso" when in Cuba people would introduce themselves proudly as "Gordo." 

Then there is the double standard Sony sets with "offensive" trophy names. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that 20 years from now I am probably going to get banned because "rCat" became a highly offensive racial slur in France, so of course six games have "rCat" in their trophy list somewhere. ?

Meanwhile a friend of mine will still safely have his gamertag, which is based on a description of a plumber's butt, but through the filter of his pronunciation of that announcement when he was four, so nobody will figure it out and therefore nobody is offended. Until someone named Hairy tries to wipe out entire global ethnic groups, anyway. 

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Kona is also a major city on the Hawaiian islands, and means 'Lady' in Hawaiian.  Context is important, if the game was made in the US or by someone of Pacific Island decent (I know nothing about this game), for instance, it can be assumed their point of reference is not the Portuguese word for pussy.  Again this goes back to my (and others) earlier point that anything can be considered offensive by anyone at anytime.  There's plenty of words that mean something else in other languages.  Hell, there's words in the English language that are pronounced the same that have different spellings and wildly different meanings.  There's also words with numerous different definitions, all tame, one of which can form a grammatically correct sentence all on its own (see 'buffalo').  Words can be hard to interpret or understand, especially without proper education, and even common words from other languages can be hard to grasp in areas where those languages aren't common.  For instance, where I live in the US there's a large Hispanic population and hearing Spanish on the street is almost as common as English these days.  In my past work experience and schooling I became very well versed in Spanish, enough to communicate verbally, and of course the first thing I learned were all the 'bad' words.  Even so, I still run into people all the time who have no idea what any of those words mean.  My point is that words are just words, and their meaning and your understanding of their meaning may be different from someone else.  In the end, does it really matter?  Does it really hurt you that the title of a game can be translated to pussy?  Does it physically pain me or infringe on my constitutional rights because someone said a bad word in their username?  Growing up there was little to nothing being done about what is currently considered harassment in schools.  Kids were verbally and even physically abused in school.  Numerous friends of mine were dumped in garbage cans or had their heads put in the urinal on a daily basis (I was too fat back then, no one could lift me, lol)  I was all for the crackdown on the physical stuff, but the verbal stuff didn't bother me.  I mean, it did a little when it first started, but after a while I was desensitized to it and just laughed when people would circle me saying they were caught in my orbit.  I've heard every fat joke imaginable.  In the end it's exactly like that age old cliche: 'sticks and stones will break by bones, but words will never harm me'.  People today can't handle anything that doesn't make them feel good or special 100% of the time.  And if you say or do something that somehow strikes a nerve, they freak out, try to 'shame' you (god I hate the overuse and misrepresentation of that word), report you to anyone they can to get you in trouble, then go to their safe space, curl up in a ball, suck their thumb and pout.  It's ridiculous, and completely insane how overcome we are with grief when someone finds a way to be offended these days.  And the mob mentality perpetuated by angry millennials and SJWs that anyone who commits this heinous crime should face the worst punishment possible is only making things worse.  When I meet someone new I have to tell them that they can say what they want around me, I'm not offended by anything they say.  It usually takes a while for them to fully test me and eventually believe me.  Most people have a line they don't cross, I do not.  My friends in college used to joke that I started on the wrong side of the line and have completely lost track of it now.  So to me, none of this is offensive.  Not the word 'Kona' in Portuguese, not the username 'King Mother Fucker', and not a single thing people say to me.  Because at the end of the day they're all empty words without meaning, and the only perceived meaning they have is what others want them to have.  Even then, they don't hurt me.  I'm not cut, burned, broken, or pained in any way by them, even if I did choose to be offended.  I think the biggest problem with this whole situation is that people are equating spoken or written words to some kind of physical criminal act.  Calling for gross punishment because someone used a bad word... really?  This is all getting out of control and we all need to gain a little perspective, as the next stop is a dystopian society where nothing is ok ever and everyone lives in fear of offending the next person (and of course, being severely punished for it).

Gosh, is my English that rusty? Because I think, since my first comment that I’m not defending anyone, I simply don’t agree that people here are more concerned about his lost trophies, saves and digital games when he was guilty or unconscious, wtv you like, as well. If it wasn’t cleared enough, I wrote that literally on the next comment, and if it wasn’t wrote correctly, reading it twice, you get my idea. I’m not paid, in any way, by madafaka or Sony to defend them, só this is just my personal opinion, like all of you.

In that way, stop asking me those questions like I Was offended by his name, by a “Meet the Fockers” or any “Kona” game. It’s really hard to shock me, seriously.

Just think outside the box. People are complaining and offended by everything nowadays, you know what to expect from people, why the risk when you don’t have nothing to win?

I mentioned Kona because some idiots could find, somehow, offensive, like they did with this guy. Anyone could report. I “laugh” when people say: Kona has 30% discount -_- There was a car released last year called Kona and they changed the name Here in Portugal.

Now, you may not find Madafaka offensive, but it’s not a nice word either, so don’t say it’s “perfectly natural” like you (not you specifically) are implying. Not being a nice word to read, spell or scream, somebody felt offended and that’s why he got banned.

Aparently, according to @GTA_Darren he could apologize Sony and explain the situation and get his account back, instead of this. I don’t know if he did, but this sounds like some kind of “clickbait” to people complain about Sony, to add this feature to change their nickname when they want.

Edited by TurtlePM
Grammar

Well damn, seems a bit like overkill to me.

Like yeah, the guy picked an immature name, sure, but this hardly seems like something you should have your account banned over now does it?

I mean sort of feels like the punishment for team killing to many times in an online match ( whether it was intentional or not) would result in you being permanently banned from the entire game, rather than simply being kicked from the given match. 

Oh well at the end of the day I suppose whats done is done. Just a shame to see yet another example of people feeling offended over hardly anything these days ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

It’s pretty sad. 

My sister who will soon be 37 years old had to grow up in a school where a lot of kids were pregetious. I went to this same school in the 1990s, and 20 - 25 years ago I had to “toughen” up and accept that not everybody was going to like me. 

I look back and I laugh it off. Today’s kids do nothing but whine and moan over the most trivial of things. My 4 year old niece does this all the time at her school, and quite frankly I’m glad I never grew up with today’s parents. 

Sadly many of the culprits who inflict trigger sensitivity is my generation, the millennials. 

A 15 year old kid got bullied? Oh no, I have to post this story on Twitter and I have to tell my friends about it on Facebook since I’m a teacher at this school. 

Give me a fucking break.

I don’t know how it is in the SF Bay Area, so I can’t comment on how people are there. 

• Like 2

I don't think the name KingMadaFaka should be allowed.  Don't get me wrong, Sony's way of handling it went way too far.  Yes, it's in the terms of use that it's a permabannable action, but that doesn't make it fair.  They took a nuclear option.

I know users cannot change their usernames, but why couldn't Sony just change his to something else?  Aren't they thinking about allowing username changes? Well, they need to get on it.  Xbox Live has always had this feature, at least since the 360.    I think the fee for that is $8-10.

Let's say Sony gets username changes working.  Then someone with an offensive username should be forced to change it at their own expense before signing in again, rather than having their account nuked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

It’s pretty sad. 

My sister who will soon be 37 years old had to grow up in a school where a lot of kids were pregetious. I went to this same school in the 1990s, and 20 - 25 years ago I had to “toughen” up and accept that not everybody was going to like me. 

I look back and I laugh it off. Today’s kids do nothing but whine and moan over the most trivial of things. My 4 year old niece does this all the time at her school, and quite frankly I’m glad I never grew up with today’s parents. 

Sadly many of the culprits who inflict trigger sensitivity is my generation, the millennials. 

A 15 year old kid got bullied? Oh no, I have to post this story on Twitter and I have to tell my friends about it on Facebook since I’m a teacher at this school. 

Give me a fucking break.

I don’t know how it is in the SF Bay Area, so I can’t comment on how people are there. 

It's bad, people are so sensitive here.  Everything upsets everyone all the time without exception.  You mentioned your sister, we're about the same age, so my experiences are probably quite similar to hers growing up (or at least what she might have witnessed).  Even what you described is more or less the same, we were expected as kids to fight our own battles and solve problems.  Sometimes, as boys do, that might come down to using your fists, but even that was rare.  I can't remember the exact moment things changed, but sometime in the last 10 years it just went downhill fast.  No one is accountable for their own actions, everything is everyone else's fault, and the slightest grievance can lead to expulsion or even having the cops called.  I have young children and a fenced yard, but I can't let them play on the grass unless I'm standing 2-3 feet away without someone calling the cops.  When I was a kid I would ride my bike around town, sometimes miles from home, on my own.  We didn't have cell phones then either.  If I let my kids do that I'd be in prison for 15 years.  I understand it's not black and white, some things needed to change cause they weren't good enough, but the level of overcompensation is terrible.  You said you were a millenial.  Most of the millenials I know from work are living scared.  They were raised in a time when they couldn't say or do anything in high school or college without running the risk of getting arrested.  They couldn't ask a girl on a date cause it was harassment.  If they magically got a date, even attempting a good night kiss could be seen as predatory.  I watched so many of them try to date over the last 5 or so years, and it's terrifying.  Also, most of them don't feel comfortable expressing their own opinions because they were told they couldn't during their most formative years.  Doesn't matter if it's politics, gun control, abortion, etc... any topic with varying opinions is automatically omitted from any potential conversation.  During the election a year ago people would walk away mid conversation if you so much as brought up the presidential race.  No one wanted to upset anyone else or be labeled as a supporter of one candidate over another.  It's all very scary, mainly because it was the opposite for me growing up.  We were encouraged to 'grow up', to be men, to learn from our mistakes and have open dialogue so we didn't get trapped in the same mistakes of the past.  Instead we're just making grievous new mistakes that I see as worse.

And this all relates back to this thread (I promise).  Being told what you can and can't say, being scared into conforming, those are bad things.  Worse to me than a supposedly bad word in a username.  I mentioned before, the guy who made that account was a typical dumb kid.  But the punishment far exceeds the crime.  I'd argue there was no crime to speak of, but in this age of over-sensitivity, everything you say, do and (coming soon) even think is and will be a punishable offense.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's bad, people are so sensitive here.  Everything upsets everyone all the time without exception.  You mentioned your sister, we're about the same age, so my experiences are probably quite similar to hers growing up (or at least what she might have witnessed).  Even what you described is more or less the same, we were expected as kids to fight our own battles and solve problems.  Sometimes, as boys do, that might come down to using your fists, but even that was rare.  I can't remember the exact moment things changed, but sometime in the last 10 years it just went downhill fast.  No one is accountable for their own actions, everything is everyone else's fault, and the slightest grievance can lead to expulsion or even having the cops called.  I have young children and a fenced yard, but I can't let them play on the grass unless I'm standing 2-3 feet away without someone calling the cops.  When I was a kid I would ride my bike around town, sometimes miles from home, on my own.  We didn't have cell phones then either.  If I let my kids do that I'd be in prison for 15 years.  I understand it's not black and white, some things needed to change cause they weren't good enough, but the level of overcompensation is terrible.  You said you were a millenial.  Most of the millenials I know from work are living scared.  They were raised in a time when they couldn't say or do anything in high school or college without running the risk of getting arrested.  They couldn't ask a girl on a date cause it was harassment.  If they magically got a date, even attempting a good night kiss could be seen as predatory.  I watched so many of them try to date over the last 5 or so years, and it's terrifying.  Also, most of them don't feel comfortable expressing their own opinions because they were told they couldn't during their most formative years.  Doesn't matter if it's politics, gun control, abortion, etc... any topic with varying opinions is automatically omitted from any potential conversation.  During the election a year ago people would walk away mid conversation if you so much as brought up the presidential race.  No one wanted to upset anyone else or be labeled as a supporter of one candidate over another.  It's all very scary, mainly because it was the opposite for me growing up.  We were encouraged to 'grow up', to be men, to learn from our mistakes and have open dialogue so we didn't get trapped in the same mistakes of the past.  Instead we're just making grievous new mistakes that I see as worse.

And this all relates back to this thread (I promise).  Being told what you can and can't say, being scared into conforming, those are bad things.  Worse to me than a supposedly bad word in a username.  I mentioned before, the guy who made that account was a typical dumb kid.  But the punishment far exceeds the crime.  I'd argue there was no crime to speak of, but in this age of over-sensitivity, everything you say, do and (coming soon) even think is and will be a punishable offense.

I used to watch TheArchfiend on YouTube and he made a few videos on ‘Pussification of America’. I looked up the stories that he linked in the video descriptions and sure as shit, they all pointed to over sensitivity. 

Shit rolling downhill may have had something to do with the 2007 Housing Crisis and 2008 Financial Crash. It was definitely bad in California, nobody was buying houses. And the crash made everything worse. Jobs were hard to come by.

Your story is another reason why I won’t have kids. Especially with how trigger sensitive people are getting, I don’t need my kids to be a victim of that bullshit. 

How old are these millennials? If they’re still in high school or just starting college then I completely understand their train of thought. I thought they would eventually grow out of this but they haven’t. I’m sorry but being overly sensitive about starting a relationship is fucking pathetic. 

I see people well in their 20s these days who act like sheltered children because they never truly grew up. This generation is sad and pathetic.

And whoever made the decision to ban the account is probably a trigger sensitive millennial. Someone like you wouldn’t care less.

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I used to watch TheArchfiend on YouTube and he made a few videos on ‘Pussification of America’. I looked up the stories that he linked in the video descriptions and sure as shit, they all pointed to over sensitivity. 

Shit rolling downhill may have had something to do with the 2007 Housing Crisis and 2008 Financial Crash. It was definitely bad in California, nobody was buying houses. And the crash made everything worse. Jobs were hard to come by.

Your story is another reason why I won’t have kids. Especially with how trigger sensitive people are getting, I don’t need my kids to be a victim of that bullshit. 

How old are these millennials? If they’re still in high school or just starting college then I completely understand their train of thought. I thought they would eventually grow out of this but they haven’t. I’m sorry but being overly sensitive about starting a relationship is fucking pathetic. 

I see people well in their 20s these days who act like sheltered children because they never truly grew up. This generation is sad and pathetic.

And whoever made the decision to ban the account is probably a trigger sensitive millennial. Someone like you wouldn’t care less.

They're all in their 20s, it varies, anywhere from 23-28.  Some are recent college grads, the oldest I know just turned 28 in October.  These are good people, they just live their lives terrified of what society thinks.

And you're right, I wouldn't care less.  If it were me behind the keyboard at Sony when the report came in, I wouldn't have seen it as a problem (as has been said, compared to the plethora of content available on Sony platforms that is far worse and uncensored).  If a supervisor stepped in and told me I had to take action, I would have helped him reset it and just warned him not to do it again.  But as a fellow gamer on the outside looking in, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

As someone who has created a game that was rated E by the ESRB, I would not love it if the person at the top of the leaderboard was "KingMADAFAKA", or any other variation of a word deemed inappropriate for an E rating.  So I can see it from that standpoint.

(Just a funny story, but there's a T rated game out there that had the winning group of a challenge select the next challenge's theme.  The winners were named the link of a pornographic website: dotcom and everything.  The developers instead decided to just call them a portion of that name instead.  It worked for them.)

@Matto_lsi @TurtlePM
Fun fact: Kona is not a curse word in brazilian portuguese! :)
If Sony decides to forbid all curse words of all languages we might run short of words!! LOL

12 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, just to be clear, let me re-iterate my original question.

A user created the name KingMadaFaka. A poster implied that this user should have had the wherewithal to see that this name could cause trouble down the line? I ask: why is KingMadaFaka considered offensive by Sony, when they themselves actively promote similar puns in their movies and games? How is someone to know that Sony will ban a user over such a screenname, when such content is easily accessible over Sony's own store? What informs the user's decision on a screenname, if Sony itself doesn't stick by its own (vague) censorship policies?

U sir,
0mKXcg1.gif

7 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

Fun fact: Kona is not a curse word in brazilian portuguese! :)

Fun fact: kona means "the wife" in Norwegian, for example used when you wanna say "my wife" (kona mi).

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2