School Shooters Inspired By Video Games? Not So Fast!

Bullstomp

6 minutes ago, Feral said:

How could we ever forget about the US constitution, you guys bring it up everytime someone says anything bad about guns. Yet you all seem to forget the part where it was written 331 years ago, things have change a bit since then. 

Of course any changes will take time but doing nothing clearly isn't working.

No, we don't all forget when it was written. Thanks for generalizing all of us though. It's closely related whenever someone brings up guns in the US. Curious how much time is appropriate before each country should throw out it's rules and start fresh again from scratch? You know, cause things change.

And you are absolutely correct. Doing nothing isn't working. Which is why I advocated for what I did and think that that's where the change can happen and be impactful instead of a waste of time that goes nowhere every single time.

15 hours ago, StewartBros said:

I read that this Florida shooting was the 18th school shooting to occur in the States THIS YEAR.  That worked out to 1 such incident every 2.5 days.  Every TWO. AND. A. HALF. DAYS.

When is America going to wake up and realize that this appalling record cannot be allowed to continue?  As gameoverDude189 pointed out, no civilian needs an assault rifle or similar weapon on their property.  These are weapons of immense destructive capability that no-one outside of the police and the military needs to have access to.

In the UK, when we had our one and only school shooting in 1996, our government almost immediately passed new amendments that outlawed the sale, possession or use of virtually all handguns by members of the public.  Hell, even our police don't carry guns.  As a result, we have some of the strictest gun laws, and one of the lowest rates of gun homicide, in the world.

I realize that the problem is much more widespread in the US, and may in fact never be addressed.  "Thoughts and prayers" won't solve anything.  "Thoughts and prayers" won't stop it from happening again.  How many more children have to die before the US government finally begins to address the country's love affair with firearms?  Because so far as I can tell, they don't seem to care enough to bother, in case it costs them some votes.  Because, y'know, a fucking VOTE is more important than a child's LIFE.

Where did you read that?  I saw people putting it in the comments all over the place, but when I actually looked into it, I could not find a single article to corroborate that number.  It was only the 8th.  Granted, 8 is still way to many in the 7th week, hell I would argue that 8 is way to many in the past decade, but it is important to check facts before just spreading missinformation.  If you can find an article that says otherwise, and explains the number, I would be more likely to believe it.

14 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Where did you read that?  I saw people putting it in the comments all over the place, but when I actually looked into it, I could not find a single article to corroborate that number.  It was only the 8th.  Granted, 8 is still way to many in the 7th week, hell I would argue that 8 is way to many in the past decade, but it is important to check facts before just spreading missinformation.  If you can find an article that says otherwise, and explains the number, I would be more likely to believe it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/15/586171960/a-look-at-all-18-shootings-that-have-taken-place-in-2018-on-school-property

The data includes any time a gun was on a school property. Including suicides, activities on school properties while on breaks and other things. It's a statistic people use to spread FUD, but not helpful, really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/15/586171960/a-look-at-all-18-shootings-that-have-taken-place-in-2018-on-school-property

The data includes any time a gun was on a school property. Including suicides, activities on school properties while on breaks and other things. It's a statistic people use to spread FUD, but not helpful, really.

I did not find that.  Thanks for the link.

18 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

And Trump thinks arming teachers will stop attacks. The rest of the world looks again in shock as the U.S doesn't make even a hint on the ever lasting problem. I'm not aiming this at U.S citizens, I love you guys.

One possible problem with that is what could happen if a teacher flips the fuck out, or if a student overpowered them and took the gun.  Another is that police could mistake a teacher for the shooter.  I'm not too sure about this idea.

A badge swipe system at the door may help.  That could stop some shooters who try to come in from outside.  Receptionists could buzz in authorities by hitting a button.  School windows should be made of bulletproof glass, & connected to an alarm system in case someone tries to break them or otherwise enter through one.

Removing the 2nd amendment from the Constitution would do no good.  Criminals would not give up their guns if that happened.  The right to bear arms serves as a deterrent. Just limit what types of guns are legal.

I'm honestly surprised Jack Thompson hasn't popped up screaming about evil video games.

To be honest, I think that certain overpowered guns aren't really necessary. 

On the flip side, there is always going to be evil people out there doing evil things, no matter what device given.

In the end, either you get the bear or the bear gets you.

Before video games were invented, there was no violence, no rape, no theft, no idolatry, no fraud, no jealousy, no envy, no wars, no poverty, no bullying, no gossiping, no anger, no backbiting, no greed, no conceit, no addictions, no diseases, no gambling, no political corruption, no failures of society, no broken families, no broken marriages, etc.

Before video games were invented, this world was all peace and love.

Even though tanks, planes, and guns were invented before video games, none of them fired a single shot or dropped a single bomb until that day...That day when two sticks bounced a ball back and forth. On that day THAT TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAY when...

/hesitates to speak its name

THE DAY ☠️ PONG ☠️ WAS PLAYED, the world plunged into chaos.

Then when ☠️ PACMAN ☠️ was released...this world became nothing but a wasteland of shattered dreams....

Video games caused all this!

Video games caused this future =

Welp...lemme get back to Dead Space and dismember Necromorphs lol >:)

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up
  • Like 2

The very notion that videogames are to blame for school shootings is complete horse shit, used by American gun advocates to deflect attention away from where the fault actually lies.

It’s pretty damn simple:

USA:

Videogames? - Yes

Guns easily available? - Yes

School Shootings? - Often

Lots of other Countries:

Videogames? - Yes

Guns easily available? - No

Scool Shootings? - No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The very notion that videogames are to blame for school shootings is complete horse shit, used by American gun advocates to deflect attention away from where the fault actually lies.

It’s pretty damn simple:

USA:

Videogames? - Yes

Guns easily available? - Yes

School Shootings? - Often

Lots of other Countries:

Videogames? - Yes

Guns easily available? - No

Scool Shootings? - No

...and it IS nothing but deflection. I mentioned in an earlier thread that there might be some scientific basis for certain video games raising aggression levels in humans (particularly males). But, who cares? 

Somehow, the NRA (and much of the right) has conflated large scale gun massacre with crime of any kind. Before this shift of blame to video games and the internet, it was all about how crime exists in other countries without guns, completely missing the point of scale. When those asshole jihadists started mowing down europeans in trucks and vans, the NRA seemed almost giddy to cite this as proof that guns are not the problem.

Crime has always existed. And much of the time, crime has been instigated in one way or another. But we have never lived in an era where large-scale killing could be done so easily, by anyone.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

I realize this is somewhat off topic but I came across this article a while back..my brother, who has teenage gamer boys,  was asking me about where to draw the line with regards to their video game use...i know it's not perfect by any means but it makes for a good read and offers some interesting insight on video games and their influence on people...i also found one that talks about "video game addiction" but don't feel it belongs here at all...here's the link for the former...enjoy...

https://www.raisesmartkid.com/3-to-6-years-old/4-articles/34-the-good-and-bad-effects-of-video-games

On 2/21/2018 at 10:33 PM, Deceptrox said:

The politicians in the US need to realize that the background problem is mental health, otherwise everyone who plays a first person shooter video game will go outside and start killing everybody on his/her path. Sure most people if not everybody have problems or issues, but the vast majority of people know what is right and what is wrong, what is good and what is evil hence they will never do such a thing.

On the other hand, individuals with mental health problems are more likely to do something that may harm others, and if they have easy access to firearms (I don't why someone would need to have an assault rifle in his house, I just don't get it), I don't want to think what they could be capable of.

To summarize, the US authorities need to restrict gun commerce and check on the mental health of people, specially young people if they want to prevent things like this happening in the future.

And please, love your family, and specially your kids tell them you love them, give them all the love you can. Have a word with them to know if they are doing ok in school, taugh them to respect others, not to bully the ones that are different, that everybody is the same regardless of any difference, physical or abstract.

I’d +1000 this post if I could.

• 11 months later...

Elliott Rodger was a young man who needed mental health counseling. 

I read a portion of what he wrote prior to his suicide and I could plainly tell he was smart. He documented his life from childhood to young adulthood. It was clear that he had a problem. But most people are quick to point the finger at guys like him, rather than offer them any sort of counseling. 

I will say this like I’ve said to many people.  Mental health counseling in America is a complete joke. Of the times I seeked counseling, I was offered absolutely no help unless I was going to make a threat and pose myself a danger. By that point it wouldn’t be up to the counselors, but the police to lock me in jail. I never did such a thing, but that is likely the most possible scenario should a person do that. 

Admittedly, I have chronic depression. Lots of people do. But these mass shooters, at least most of them, have a mental illness that had we had the proper funding and materials, could prevent that next tragedy. Instead, they are sought after and captured/killed by the police, whose job is to uphold the law and make sure we are safe. They are not trained to be mental health counselors, but they’re trained to put down someone who is desperately seeking help. 

I have been through depression. But all these idiots in the media can think about is gun control. Mental health is something they are not knowledgeable in understanding. 

Edited by Spaz

Video games are not the problem. How ridiculously easy it is to own guns in the US is the real problem. 

In my opinion, this needs to be stopped. Guns are dangerous and should only be legal to own if you're a cup or a guard. 

Censoring video games because mentally ill people can't control themselves or tell the difference between fiction and reality is stupid it's like closing McDonald's for good because people are eating it too much. It's tempting, but it all starts with discipline. And It is the parents' responsibility to take care of their children and their well beings. 

Mental health is a serious matter these days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kurofur said:

Video games are not the problem. How ridiculously easy it is to own guns in the US is the real problem. 

In my opinion, this needs to be stopped. Guns are dangerous and should only be legal to own if you're a cup or a guard. 

Censoring video games because mentally ill people can't control themselves or tell the difference between fiction and reality is stupid it's like closing McDonald's for good because people are eating it too much. It's tempting, but it all starts with discipline. And It is the parents' responsibility to take care of their children and their well beings. 

Mental health is a serious matter these days.

Wait a sec.  While I believe the NRA is too radical, there is nothing wrong with a law-abiding citizen having a gun for self-defense at home.  If guns are banned, criminals won't give up their guns.  They'd be emboldened.  Gun control & gun bans aren't the same thing.

Yes, mental health is important.  Addressing that would likely help prevent at least some of the shootings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Wait a sec.  While I believe the NRA is too radical, there is nothing wrong with a law-abiding citizen having a gun for self-defense at home.  If guns are banned, criminals won't give up their guns.  They'd be emboldened.  Gun control & gun bans aren't the same thing.

Yes, mental health is important.  Addressing that would likely help prevent at least some of the shootings.

Well then I guess the problem can't be solved

14 hours ago, Kurofur said:

Well then I guess the problem can't be solved

Well maybe it's not solvable 100%, but actions taken to ameliorate it can't hurt.  Private 2nd-hand sales of guns should be outlawed, unless a licensed gun dealer is used to arrange the transaction between a buyer & seller.  That should include the background checks which would be required if buying straight from the dealer.  Once the sale is complete the gun should need to be registered in the buyer's name with the authorities to deter resale- especially to make sure the buyer isn't working on behalf of someone who can't legally obtain the weapon.

Most jewelry stores have a buzz-in system. That's a really good idea.  Other businesses & schools should follow that lead.

11 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Well maybe it's not solvable 100%, but actions taken to ameliorate it can't hurt.  Private 2nd-hand sales of guns should be outlawed, unless a licensed gun dealer is used to arrange the transaction between a buyer & seller.  That should include the background checks which would be required if buying straight from the dealer.  Once the sale is complete the gun should need to be registered in the buyer's name with the authorities to deter resale- especially to make sure the buyer isn't working on behalf of someone who can't legally obtain the weapon.

Most jewelry stores have a buzz-in system. That's a really good idea.  Other businesses & schools should follow that lead.

That's a pretty good idea, might not solve the problem entirely but it's definitely a step in the right path. 

Since criminals can't really be stopped, having more security in more public places is probably the next best thing.  

On 2/15/2019 at 5:41 AM, Kurofur said:

That's a pretty good idea, might not solve the problem entirely but it's definitely a step in the right path. 

Since criminals can't really be stopped, having more security in more public places is probably the next best thing.  

Which these places aren’t going to have until a tragedy happens. 

It’s been a recurring trend over the past 10 years. 

But with our system of government being stuck in the past while the main political parties bitch over their differences, it’s going to be a long time before we’ll see any progress. 

Mental health research needs to be looked at and funded. Not just security.

Edited by Spaz

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Which these places aren’t going to have until a tragedy happens. 

It’s been a recurring trend over the past 10 years. 

But with our system of government being stuck in the past while the main political parties bitch over their differences, it’s going to be a long time before we’ll see any progress. 

Mental health research needs to be looked at and funded. Not just security.

That's the sad thing, this prevalent "can't happen here" mentality.  When it does happen, do they write it off as a fluke or take action?

Law enforcement dropped the ball in one pretty recent case.  Given his priors, the Pratt shooter in Aurora, IL shouldn't really have been allowed to own a gun at all.  But he was.  So later on he goes to apply for a CCW permit.  That's denied as it should be,  In fact law enforcement does take a good step in saying he shouldn't really even have that gun.  They revoke his license to own it, then ask him to turn it in along with his firearm owner's ID card.  Nuh-uh, he does not.  Do they follow up on that?  Here's the part where they reeeeally fumble it.  They should've gone to his house to confiscate the gun, but they didn't bother.  If they did, that would've been a chance to block this shit before it happened.

I would vote for a 3rd party if it were viable.  I hate the GOP, while I love-hate the Democrat party.

So what does Trump think of the Electoral College?  He was so against it in 2012, then after that terrible 2016 presidential election that put him in his seat, he praises the EC as if it were God.  Mmm... I smell waffles with a double shot of maple syrup.  Yeah, a double shot to hide the yucky taste of political waffles.

Edited by gameoverDude189

On 2/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

That's the sad thing, this prevalent "can't happen here" mentality.  When it does happen, do they write it off as a fluke or take action?

Law enforcement dropped the ball in one pretty recent case.  Given his priors, the Pratt shooter in Aurora, IL shouldn't really have been allowed to own a gun at all.  But he was.  So later on he goes to apply for a CCW permit.  That's denied as it should be,  In fact law enforcement does take a good step in saying he shouldn't really even have that gun.  They revoke his license to own it, then ask him to turn it in along with his firearm owner's ID card.  Nuh-uh, he does not.  Do they follow up on that?  Here's the part where they reeeeally fumble it.  They should've gone to his house to confiscate the gun, but they didn't bother.  If they did, that would've been a chance to block this shit before it happened.

I would vote for a 3rd party if it were viable.  I hate the GOP, while I love-hate the Democrat party.

So what does Trump think of the Electoral College?  He was so against it in 2012, then after that terrible 2016 presidential election that put him in his seat, he praises the EC as if it were God.  Mmm... I smell waffles with a double shot of maple syrup.  Yeah, a double shot to hide the yucky taste of political waffles.

This government should of taken action right when that Asian guy shot and killed over 30 college students at Virginia Tech back in 2007. Instead, people turned a blind eye and insisted on Gun Control rather than Mental Health. Since then it's only gotten worse.

I have been around kids in my life who were abused. Physically and sexually abused. Those are the kinds of people that need medical help and mental health stimulation.

What happens now is those kids end up getting thrown in jail, without any help or assistance. Some of those kids I knew are now adults, and they will probably never get the medical help they need. It's pretty sad. 

I don't like guns. But I'm not a fanatical Anti-Gun nut, and I find that both sides are full of morons.

Personally I gave up on the GOP years ago. I ended all support for them when they started blaming Barack Obama for bullshit he had no part of, simply because he's bi-racial. The Democrats have lost their appeal and are mostly there to cater to their own interests, much like a lot of censorship groups here in America.

I think it's time we give the smaller parties a better chance, rather than rely on two aging political parties who can't get shit done and instead war on each other over trivial bullshit that doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spaz said:

This government should of taken action right when that Asian guy shot and killed over 30 college students at Virginia Tech back in 2007. Instead, people turned a blind eye and insisted on Gun Control rather than Mental Health. Since then it's only gotten worse.

I have been around kids in my life who were abused. Physically and sexually abused. Those are the kinds of people that need medical help and mental health stimulation.

What happens now is those kids end up getting thrown in jail, without any help or assistance. Some of those kids I knew are now adults, and they will probably never get the medical help they need. It's pretty sad. 

I don't like guns. But I'm not a fanatical Anti-Gun nut, and I find that both sides are full of morons.

Personally I gave up on the GOP years ago. I ended all support for them when they started blaming Barack Obama for bullshit he had no part of, simply because he's bi-racial. The Democrats have lost their appeal and are mostly there to cater to their own interests, much like a lot of censorship groups here in America.

I think it's time we give the smaller parties a better chance, rather than rely on two aging political parties who can't get shit done and instead war on each other over trivial bullshit that doesn't really matter.

That is sad about those kids who were abused & left totally messed up.  Sometimes they end up doing drugs, which leads to jail when they should really be in rehab instead.

I'm in the middle on the gun issue.  It'd be best if they were never created, but it's too late to ban them totally. The only reason for one is self defense against violent criminals.

I've never supported the GOP.  No, no, never.  Not one little bit.  Whatever chance the GOP had of redeeming itself with me has been totally ruined by Trump.  Those who would vote for him again in 2020 are a bunch of idiots.  He is an embarrassment to the country.  When I see him speaking on TV, I turn away in disgust.  In him I see a washed-up reality TV star with questionable ethics.  While not that bad, George W. Bush was still not near half as good as Obama.  Honestly, I don't think another Democrat will be a match for Obama either.  Obama gave a damn & still does. So does Michelle. I love them dearly, & shed tears at their having to leave after 2 terms.

These censorship groups can take their "political correctness" & buzz right off.  We don't need neo-Victorianism.  To hell with their "Think of the children" line.  IS2G, I will not be having kids myself.  As for those who will... parenting is the parent's job, not that of others, nor the government.  The 1st Amendment's guarantee of free speech is important.

I really do hope some other party takes the WH in 2020.  I also am sick of those dinosaur parties wagging their sabers at each other over petty things.  Once we lost Obama to term limits, it's been a clusterfuck.  The Democrat party, while better than the GOP has ever been or ever will be, still isn't at the heights it reached with Obama at the helm.

21 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

That is sad about those kids who were abused & left totally messed up.  Sometimes they end up doing drugs, which leads to jail when they should really be in rehab instead.

I'm in the middle on the gun issue.  It'd be best if they were never created, but it's too late to ban them totally. The only reason for one is self defense against violent criminals.

That's another problem too. Drugs and medication go hand in hand like bread and butter. And some kids can't even get that.

I have always supported having a gun in the case of self defense should a criminal try to break into your home or rob you blind. I am not one of those Gun Nuts who want certain bans be lifted, but I'm also not a blind pacifist who feels that any sort of gun is evil and they should be removed. Both sides are blind. The NRA fuels the Gun Nuts, the censorship groups fuels the other side.

I've never supported the GOP.  No, no, never.  Not one little bit.  Whatever chance the GOP had of redeeming itself with me has been totally ruined by Trump.  Those who would vote for him again in 2020 are a bunch of idiots.  He is an embarrassment to the country.  When I see him speaking on TV, I turn away in disgust.  In him I see a washed-up reality TV star with questionable ethics.  While not that bad, George W. Bush was still not near half as good as Obama.  Honestly, I don't think another Democrat will be a match for Obama either.  Obama gave a damn & still does. So does Michelle. I love them dearly, & shed tears at their having to leave after 2 terms.

I went to a high school full of GOP supporters. Their families were life long GOP supporters and therefore their kids became ones as well.

Donald Trump is a 72 year old man with the mentality of a 10 year old. You can have a spoiled 10 year old kid be the president and I wouldn't see the difference. Trump was already an asshole on The Apprentice. How he even became a political candidate to begin with is beyond me.

I wanted Bernie Sanders to win, but instead the Democratic Party chose Hilary Clinton because of her allegiance with big corporations and big business. Don't think she is all that good because she's not. George W. Bush was a terrible president, but he was no washed up fucking dipshit like Donald Trump. Trump is a guy who bitches and complains on Twitter all fucking day. That's the kind of guy we have, instead of somebody who cares for the future of this country and it's relationship with others like the United Kingdom and South Korea.

Trump will probably not be around in 20 years. We give the power and decisions to old farts who will be probably dead in 10 - 20 years time, and it's just going to leave us more fucked up than we already are. That's what pisses me off. I've bitched at so many people on Facebook and Twitter over this it's unbelievable. They're completely blind to what's going on around them.

I supported Obama from the start of his presidential career, around 2008 - 2009. But even I could see that he was merely a puppet on a string. Obama is a good man and he's probably a good guy to have around at the bar to have some laughs and fun. Same with his wife Michelle Obama. Much of what he wanted was shot down, because he wanted to make a lasting difference. Sadly people like Koch Brothers are the ones pulling the strings, it's the financially rich who get to make the decisions. Not us.

I never saw a more awkward and painful moment than when Obama left the White House and Trump was sworn in.

These censorship groups can take their "political correctness" & buzz right off.  We don't need neo-Victorianism.  To hell with their "Think of the children" line.  IS2G, I will not be having kids myself.  As for those who will... parenting is the parent's job, not that of others, nor the government.  The 1st Amendment's guarantee of free speech is important.

I really do hope some other party takes the WH in 2020.  I also am sick of those dinosaur parties wagging their sabers at each other over petty things.  Once we lost Obama to term limits, it's been a clusterfuck.  The Democrat party, while better than the GOP has ever been or ever will be, still isn't at the heights it reached with Obama at the helm.

I was glad I was a kid when I was. These kids today are growing up under the blanket of fearmongering and neo-Victorianism. I will argue that kids these days can't be kids anymore. Today's parents make me sick, for reasons I won't go into because I think anybody who is around my age and has been around kids knows what I'm talking about.

I'm at the point where I don't support the Democrats either. Both parties have completely lost it. In my mind the GOP is worse, I agree with you. But until somebody steps up and makes a lasting impression we're going to see these dinosaurs bitch at each other like they have for the past decade.

It's a fucking circus. There's no compromise anymore.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1