Disappointed by difficulty

theSpirae

I was a big fan of The Witcher books when I was a kid. I loved The Witcher 1 and 2. Finally, I had some time to start the third one. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the game's difficulty. It started pretty well till I reached level 4. After level 10 everything is a joke. I was killing +5 level group of creeps/bandits. Now I'm doing skull quests/contracts and it feels I'm playing on easy :(

For example, I just did Contract: Oxenfurt (level 35) being level 24 wearing level 19 gear.

Enough QQ. I love everything about the game but as in the previous games, combat/difficulty is an issue here.

Edited by theSpirae

I'm already playing on DM and I don't have any sets. It's just boring after a while that every combat is dodge-hit-repeat and there's no way an enemy can hit you.

It just feels like there's no need to even bother with alchemy, signs, even talents in general.

Edited by theSpirae

There is more difficulty to be found in the DLCs, especially on Death March, especially if you're gunning for the trophies.

If you're seeking a challenge, I'd recommend limited use of Quen and Igni.  Almost everything in the game burns.  With upgraded Igni, you can stand still and laugh as a cluster of 10 or 15 bad guys all flail and burn at once.

39 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

I was a big fan of The Witcher books when I was a kid. I loved The Witcher 1 and 2. Finally, I had some time to start the third one. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the game's difficulty. It started pretty well till I reached level 4. After level 10 everything is a joke. I was killing +5 level group of creeps/bandits. Now I'm doing skull quests/contracts and it feels I'm playing on easy :(

For example, I just did Contract: Oxenfurt (level 35) being level 24 wearing level 19 gear.

Enough QQ. I love everything about the game but as in the previous games, combat/difficulty is an issue here.

Difficulty is definitely not the strong suit here. Combat is easy to exploit early on, and once you start getting place of power bonuses and those ridiculously overpowered Witcher sets, you can just blow through the game on any difficulty.

2 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

I'm getting ready to start this game, finally.  Good to know that possibly I can start on DM and not get creamed in the first 10 minutes.  I really didn't realize that use of the signs was important than just slash and burn.  

Actually, you probably will. The first fight is arguably the hardest one in the (main) game. I died three times before I figured out what I was doing.

• Like 3

I thought it was very close to a "perfect" difficulty.

On DM very hard at the beginning (makes you use literally everything in your arsenal) but goes down to "normal" at the right moment.

I mean, I like the challenge and absolutely loved the first 40% of the game being hard but at some point you just want to explore and min-max.

• Like 1

Whirl and Rend (third tiers under fast and strong Combat ability tree) are OP. Have those things maxed out and you'll be going after enemies 20 levels higher than you.

Saw someone take on the six Iris nightmares at once on DM and beat all six in two minutes using Rend.

Edited by Pirelli913
  • Like 1

Good to know this games DM can be cheesed with OP abilities. Guess it time to plat this badass game. But do I want to wait for my Ps4 Pro to do the full 4k experience of W3 or just reg...><

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Okay everyone.  I'm finally setting aside time to get into this wonderful game.  From what I have picked up, casting Quen before battle and then using parry and Axii during battle is a good starting primer for me.  Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions to get the most enjoyment from the game?  I know to speak to everyone, forage for materials and look at the notice boards.

Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Okay everyone.  I'm finally setting aside time to get into this wonderful game.  From what I have picked up, casting Quen before battle and then using parry and Axii during battle is a good starting primer for me.  Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions to get the most enjoyment from the game?  I know to speak to everyone, forage for materials and look at the notice boards.

Pick red.When the time comes you'll understand

• Like 2

here i am playing a witcher game for the very first time and on deathmarch. died about !20 times! where you fight (SPOILER) the bloody baronss miscarriage and his damn ghosts (i was on lvl 3 or 4). try after try i gave up on the deathmarch difficulty and now I'm on medium and this game is a breeze in the park. the menues are still very chaotic, and confusing though.

Yeah pretty decent not to difficult i died only like 15 times in my 100% (main game+dlc's+and all trophy related stuff) playtrough on DM, you come to this masterpiece for the history, be patience and enjoy:)

Pd: those god damn black spiders are the most difficult enemy in my personal opinion and experience after 300hrs!!!

Edited by Arielferrari19

• 4 weeks later...

NG+ on DM is EZ lol. if you're already familiar with the game and abilities (which by that point you are) then nothing is really challenging. 

As for the combat in general, yeah its not that challenging. Quen and Igni are easy mode. i enjoy a challenge so i use Aard as my go-to and Axii. the game prepares you really well so combat shouldnt trouble anyone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really wish I hadn't switched off DM... I had a hard time getting into this, and figured making the start of the game easier would get me into it. Which it has, but after about 5-10 hours or so this game becomes a breeze. Playing on whatever the 2nd hardest difficulty is called, but wish I had persisted with Death March now. Still, may have given up if I hadn't switched, so maybe it was a good idea.

This game was intended to sell to a big audience with the way the developers and the people who published it were going about the gameplay.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in many ways is easier than your Dark Souls esque adventure.

Still, on Death March I struggled on a few quests. I'm currently on the quest where you need to kill off some ghosts during Forefather's Eve. Gave up for a bit but haven't really played much in the past few months.

If you don't care about how easy it is and you want to get all the trophies you can just turn down the difficulty once you beat the game once on Death March.

I will go what everyone else has said a million times. This game is worth every penny you spend on it. Easily one of the best western RPGs, if not the best RPG in the past few years. It's likely a good candidate to be one of the best of this decade.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...