Meh. Let it go.

Toogie53

I took some time last night to rethink my post here. It kind of started to seem like a "look at my platinums” thread. That wasn’t my intention. I don’t like the spotlight and I’m not trying to make anyone jealous. I wanted to set up something where I could put out thoughts about games I’m playing or trophies I was working on. So I removed pretty much everything today and made the focus of the thread my mission to clean up my profile. I had zero platinums until May last year. After I got one, I decided I wanted more. I felt a lot of personal satisfaction when I actually fully completed a game. It wasn’t long until I was all in on trophy hunting.

Before May, I just played whatever the hell I felt like for as long as I felt like it. With PS plus in particular, I started some dumb games. I really wish it were possible to delete games on your profile. I know you can hide them, but my impression is that everybody assumes you’re a cheater if you do that. I decided to start a new pristine profile. Then, instantly, I felt all this pressure to only play AAA games and have platinums everyone is amazed at and have this nice showcase of trophies. In real life, I don’t care what people think and I don’t tolerate judgmental assholes. Realizing it shouldn’t matter in my hobby either, I switched back and just started playing what I wanted. For my own OCD-ness, I decided I wanted to clean up my profile. I was happy with the idea of getting a platinum or a 100% in everything. I didn’t want to commit to buying every DLC or coming back to something I thought I was done with because they put out an update.

I knew I’d be very unhappy forcing myself to do the 100% or Platinum on some games. I really hated some of the crap that was on my profile. (Drawn to Death, I’m looking at you.) Recently, I took a look at the ranking system and it looks like you get a C rank when you reach the average completion percentage for the game. I decided I would go farther than that. If I get an A rank, it means I did more than most trophy hunters and I can feel good about that and check a game off my backlog.  Because I don't have to take every game all the way to the finish line, it means I don’t have to worry about impossible platinums, server shutdowns, long grinds, inhuman skill requirements, etc. It is actually a doable goal. If I accomplish it. I will be happy with the end result. 

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 1

Hey, it's Toogie! Glad to see you decided to make a checklist. Wish I could have joined your V-Day event, but I was still burned out from Halloween. Can't wait for that again this year!

My thoughts on platinums are about the same. At one time, I thought it'd be cool to only play major titles or only go for hard platinums, but then I realized I'm the only person who cares about my profile, so I decided to just play whatever I want. Works out much better that way. Still, I try to only play games that I think I'll like.

Not enjoying No Man's Sky, huh?

34 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Hey, it's Toogie! Glad to see you decided to make a checklist. Wish I could have joined your V-Day event, but I was still burned out from Halloween. Can't wait for that again this year!

My thoughts on platinums are about the same. At one time, I thought it'd be cool to only play major titles or only go for hard platinums, but then I realized I'm the only person who cares about my profile, so I decided to just play whatever I want. Works out much better that way. Still, I try to only play games that I think I'll like.

Not enjoying No Man's Sky, huh?

Hey there! I read your checklist every now and then to see what you've been up to. I just haven't burst into the conversation to say hi. The Halloween event was a ton of gaming and I was kind of burnt out by the end. However, I'm already looking forward to doing it again this year's too. I'm going to revisit some favorite games like The Last of Us and Bloodborne and take them to 100%. The Evil Within is going back on my list and I'm going to start it much earlier than I did last time so I have time to finish.

As far as No Man's Sky goes, I've done enough to get past the learning curve and understand what's going on and how to complete the objectives form the trophies. But these sandbox games are strange to me. I'm very narrative driven. I play the Tell Tale games because I like them. Not because they are easy trophies. No Man's Sky might have some interesting things coming that I just haven't discovered yet. So I'm reserving judgment still. I don't want to say it's a bad game or the content patches weren't enough. I'm not miserable playing it. At worst, I think it's a game that's just not for me. 

Edited by Toogie53

I dig the lay out Toogie. Like I've said in your events a few times people just gotta play what they like. I have a heap of hidden trophies for games that I wont finish ever so I guess I look like a cheater to some people :P I like the idea of a C rank minimum I may have to copy you on that at some point  :) 

17 hours ago, Dessane said:

I dig the lay out Toogie. Like I've said in your events a few times people just gotta play what they like. I have a heap of hidden trophies for games that I wont finish ever so I guess I look like a cheater to some people :P I like the idea of a C rank minimum I may have to copy you on that at some point  :) 

Thanks for checking it out. I don't think you'd cheat, but when I read some of the other posts on this site, it's like many people can't understand why some gamers would want to hide games because they don't want to look at them or for systems they no longer own etc. They seem to jump to the conclusion that if you're hiding games, you've got something to hide or you want to lie about your completion percentage.

Edited by Toogie53
Stupid Merging!
  • Like 1

Last night was unusual because my wife, who has a chronic illness and sleeps constantly, was actually awake and had energy to do some stuff. We went out to dinner and we came home and watched a few episodes of The Mist together. I believe we picked up at five stopped at the end of episode eight. Those were good ones! You finally get to find out if Alex was actually date raped or not, people die, and stuff like that. After all of that, she went to bed. I booted up Ratchet and Clank and put maybe 30 mins into it and then I went to bed too. I was in a good spot though and was able to pop three trophies in that short time! 

Edited by 2G53
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, donut_plz said:

Hey Toogs. Interesting idea flipping it around and focusing on the backlog. I like it. Got me rethinking my crapty little thread now.

I thought it was a good idea. I wasn't trying to be overly original. I started with copying a few other users checklists and it just wasn't coming out like I wanted. So I had to make changes. I'm happy with it now though. I think this clean up will take the rest of the year, if not longer. After that, I will post up my backlog of games I own and haven't started and do the same thing again. So I should be set for a couple of years. ?

Edited by Toogie53

On 2/23/2018 at 2:22 PM, Toogie53 said:

Somewhat Daily Update:

Last night was unusual because my wife, who has a chronic illness and sleeps constantly, was actually awake and had energy to do some stuff. We went out to dinner and we came home and watched a few episodes of The Mist together. I believe we picked up at five stopped at the end of episode eight. Those were good ones! You finally get to find out if Alex was actually date raped or not, people die, and stuff like that. After all of that, she went to bed. I booted up Ratchet and Clank and put maybe 30 mins into it and then I went to bed too. I was in a good spot though and was able to pop three trophies in that short time! 

Glad to hear you had a good time with the missus, Toogie, and sorry she is ill. It's no fun to be enervated by illness. Glad you got to watch more of a show you enjoyed and then put in a few minutes of R&C before going to bed and got some trophies in the process. :)

• Like 1

1L78e2ce.png

Platinum #59: Ratchet and Clank

I was able to check off Ratchet and Clank this weekend. Overall, I thought the game was very enjoyable. It was annoyed with how long it took to level a couple of the weapons. The Sheepinator in particular. Once it is upgraded, the transmogrified enemies explode and kill everything around them. Thus making it very hard to sheepinate a lot of enemies. It took a really long time to do it. Even this was a very minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. I had heard the hover board race trophies were going to be the deciding factor on if you could get the platinum or not. I didn't have much of a problem with those, except for not reading closely. I finished the race on Rilgar three times under 1:35 and the trophy wasn't popping. I was getting mad and thinking the game glitched. I pulled up the trophy list to read it closer and I'd try again and still not get it. It wasn't until I said it out loud that I realized it said win the GOLD CUP with a time of 1:35. I was able to do that on the second try, but I think it was because I had already dialed it in on the Bronze Cup course. The other hoverboard race has two short cuts in the path and I finished way under time with that one.

Some tips for future R&C players

• If you have all the gold screws, you can enable an infinite ammo cheat. It disables XP when it is on but you can collect bolts, raritanium, and cards. I found a good spot by a couple of bladebot spawners and rubberbanded the controller with the flame thrower going and left the game on overnight. I already had all the cards but in the morning I had a couple million bolts and all the raritanium I needed to purchase all the omega weapons and upgrade them fully at the vendor.
  • Buy the Omega Groovitron and Sheepinator early in the challenge mode playthorugh. You'll need the Groovinator for other trophies anyway. Also sheepinate the snagglebeast and all the telepathopi on Gaspar as they are worth large amounts of weapon XP and do not move around much.
  • The end of the game has two boss battles. The first boss battle is a good place to level up all your weapons except the Groovitron and Sheepinator. If you have any weapons left to level up, just fight the boss until they are around 10% and then jump off the side. This will reset your ammo and the boss' health. You can pound away on them for easy weapon XP.
  • From @donut_plz - When going for the fast times on the hoverboard races turning on invincibility and slowing the game speed in the extras tab makes it much easier.
Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, CJ_Mystery said:

Glad to hear you had a good time with the missus, Toogie, and sorry she is ill. It's no fun to be enervated by illness. Glad you got to watch more of a show you enjoyed and then put in a few minutes of R&C before going to bed and got some trophies in the process. :)

Thanks for the sympathy. She has a condition that will never get better (unless there is some medical breakthrough) so I just have to take the good times when I can find them. She kind of has to budget her energy and pick and choose what she can do. If she wants to go to shopping with friends on Saturday, I can guarantee she will be in bed all day Friday storing up and then recovering all day Sunday. In some ways it sucks, but it's also why I have a lot of time to play games. I'm nearby if I'm needed and it's a quiet hobby. 

1 hour ago, donut_plz said:

Nice job on Ratchet and Clank Toogs.

To add to your tips.

• When going for the fast times on the hoverboard races turning on Invincibility and slowing the game speed in the extras tab makes it much easier.

I didn't know that one. That would have been helpful for sure though. 

2 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

It was annoyed with how long it took to level a couple of the weapons. The Sheepinator in particular

The Sheepinator is cake as it has no ammo, so you can spam it indefinitely. xD

Still, I am glad you enjoyed that game, Toogie. I find it more enjoyable than the original trilogy trophy lists. Here is hoping that Insomniac Games does a sequel. (It doesn't have to be a remake of Going Commando, a reboot of Up Your Arsenal would be more in line with that considering what happens to Dr. Nefarious.)

2 hours ago, donut_plz said:

Nice job on Ratchet and Clank Toogs.

To add to your tips.

• When going for the fast times on the hoverboard races turning on Invincibility and slowing the game speed in the extras tab makes it much easier.

Never thought about slowing down the speed to make the races easier! Too bad I stopped playing the game since I got those trophies already. ;)

2 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

The Sheepinator is cake as it has no ammo, so you can spam it indefinitely. xD

That infinite ammo part of the sheepinator is great. I like it as a weapon just fine. It was mostly my approach on how I leveled it up that sucked. Which is why I offered some tips. ? That way people don't have to suck as bad as I do. When I was finishing the challenge mode playthrough, I had about half of the weapons left to level up. While fighting Quark, I leveled up three different weapons on the first attempt just by chance. But I thought he was a good bullet sponge so I jumped in the hole to restart the fight. All of the weapons I had left leveled up quite quickly. He moves around too much for the sheepinator and also you could only do that once and the fight would be over and yo'd be forced to progress. Afterwards, I started another new playthrough. Using only the sheepinator, it took me all the way until I had the jetpack on Gaspar to get it to level 10. For the most part it worked like this; I'd sheepinate some small enemy that would explode and clear the screen and I'd have to move on to the next grouping having only gained a tiny amount of XP. Repeat again and again. The majority of the last three XP levels came when I sheepinated the snagglebeast and some of those telepathopuss things. Each one of those resulted in a burst of XP that I could visually see add a chunk to the XP bar.

Edited by Toogie53

22 minutes ago, Dessane said:

I used to love ratchet and clank when I was younger I might have to pick up the game sometime soon I keep hearing really good things about it. If i do i'm sure I'll be using those tips

There's rumors that it'll be one of the PS+ games for next month so you might not have to buy it at all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

There's rumors that it'll be one of the PS+ games for next month so you might not have to buy it at all.

Everything's coming up Dessane!

Thanks for the heads up, that would have been painful

Edited by Dessane

transistor.png

I was kind of down last night because I got some bad news. So I turned to my games and lost myself in the broody, dystopic world of Transistor for a while. I finished the story and unlocked quite a bit of the trophies. I got it all the way from Rank E to Rank A. I decided to go for platinum on this one for two reasons. Number one, I really enjoyed playing it and will gladly go through new game plus mode to keep experimenting with all the abilities. Number two, because the platinum trophy icon is much cooler than No Man's Sky's or Mafia 3's and my next platinum is the sixtieth plat milestone. If I can finish it before the weekend, I'll still be in good shape with The Love Boat event games. But for now, I will celebrate being able to remove one more game from my backlog today. 

Edited by 2G53
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

Number two, because the platinum trophy icon is much cooler than No Man's Sky's or Mafia 3's and my next platinum is the sixtieth plat milestone. If I can finish it before the weekend, I'll still be in good shape with The Love Boat event games. But for now, I will celebrate being able to remove one more game from my backlog today. 

I thought the trophy milestones jumped from 50 to 75 on PSNP.

Been meaning to get to Transistor, as well. Sitting in my backlog waiting for a good weekend I can dedicate to it. Glad it was there to enjoy in lieu of other aspects of life.