Meh. Let it go.

Toogie53

10 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

As for me...um, I forgot we weren't supposed to start until April 1st, and...I kinda started kicking the crap out of Dragon's Dogma. I'm not sure it's going to survive March. I would say there's an 85% chance that I'll need to replace it with another game. My bad.

I'm glad you got some traction with the game and are going to complete it, even if its early. I think you'll be able to replace it pretty easily. There is a lot of choice variety this time.

18 hours ago, Dessane said:

Giving us so many choices definitely helps with spring fling Toogie :P you've made some good progress over the last few days, nicely done

I think you'll like the upcoming summer activity then as well. It should have a bunch of choices like Spring Fling. I was bouncing ideas off of @donut_plz yesterday and I think we landed on something pretty good. 

5 hours ago, 2G53 said:

I think you'll like the upcoming summer activity then as well. It should have a bunch of choices like Spring Fling. I was bouncing ideas off of @donut_plz yesterday and I think we landed on something pretty good. 

Getting me hyped for the next event before this one even starts, come on mate.

• Like 1

hypervoid.png

Got another one to Rank A. This one is Hyper Void. It's the Dark Souls of Journey album art shooter games. It took me a little bit to get into this and actually enjoy what it is doing. I think I got there last night. There's 29 total levels. I'm only on level nine. Each level has some sort of boss at the end. They are usually kind of challenging until you figure out the pattern. I got stuck on the boss for level 8 for a while though. It's the same boss as level 7, however your orientation is upside down and therefore your left and right are reversed in comparison to you who is not upside down. It took me about 30 minutes before I could reflexively dodge something in the opposite direction than I think I need to. I finally got him down, and then went to level 9. This one is unusual because you don't have a level to get through, it just starts you at a multistage boss who is a total pain in the ass. It has this ability to regenerate health rapidly if you stop hitting it for a second. You only have a limited amount of energy, so you have to stop shooting to let your weapons recharge, but the boss is healing just as fast. I figured out that if I destroy the random orbs floating by, it will recharge my weapons and I might be able to send out a continuous barrage of pew pew pew lasers or something. I'm supposed to 100% this for the Spring backlog challenge so I'll still be playing through it more. Also, as a note, the disc for No Man's Sky made it back into my console because I almost felt like working on it yesterday. PROGRESS!

• Like 1

I've been reading the trophy disputes thread today for some entertainment. I think they are pretty funny with how many people's brother or cousin used the console and suddenly trophies happened. However, I ran across a couple that aren't so obvious. Where someone just has one weird trophy. I do think it's weird that trophy timestamps are like the absolute word of god. I've had about four games glitch trophies on me so far, so I think it's perfectly plausible to have one or two weird trophies in a list full of legitimate ones. There's no sympathy though. I'm sure it's because they've heard every excuse in the book hundreds of times. It makes me kind of worried. It's not really the hiding the game part, it's that there's no way to clear your name in a dispute like that.

I recently talked about the glitch I had in Titanfall 2. It, fortunately, is a misc trophy you can do at anytime. So my timestamp won't look strange. It's feasible to me that a story trophy could have not popped properly and I would have continued on with the campaign and planned to clean it up later. In that case, you might have chapter 6 being completed before chapter 5 because chapter 5 glitched out. If I just said, the game was weird that day. The moderators would be like, "Ok. Bye bye now." They seem occasionally harsh. I'm just going to take this as a moment where I can learn a lesson. If something weird happens in a game, I will make sure to keep evidence. So far, I've usually talked about it in the forums somewhere. But I think I will make sure to save screenshots and stuff. I usually delete them because they pop after the trophy has popped and not when you did the thing that popped the trophy. 

Edited by 2G53
  • Like 2

Not much is new. I'm going to hurry and try to wrap up the platinum for No Man's Sky before the Spring Fling event starts. I did a little bit on it yesterday. I crafted a couple of warp cells and warped to a new system. I went to the space station and met the resident aliens. Then I rubber banded the controller and let my dude walk in circles until the gold walking trophy was achieved. Tonight, I think I'll be able to get two trophies done. I only need to meet a handful more aliens to get the gold for that. After that, I'm going to warp around until I run out of money for materials for warp cells. Hopefully, I can get enough to finish that trophy with my current cash reserves. I think I need like 60 warps and I've only done two. If I go broke, I'll land on a planet and get what I need to warp again and move to the next system and find what I need to warp out as quickly as possible. Repeating as much as necessary.  I'll be very happy if I can get those two gold trophies done today.

Edited by 2G53

Well, I didn't end up playing any games last night. I went grocery shopping then when I got home I was sucked in by old school CSI and binge watched a few episodes. After that, I went to bed early. I woke up about an hour earlier than normal, so I booted up No Man's Sky this morning and tried to make some progress. I met a bunch more aliens and got the gold trophy for that. I made some progress on the exploration trophy as well. I think I've warped 10 times now. I definitely have the money its going to take to buy my way through all the remaining warps. I have all the materials on board for another dozen or warps. I just need more thaumium9 to turn my anti-matter into a warp cell. I can't seem to find any vendor that just sells it. I've been shooting asteroids to get it. However, after talking with a bunch of aliens, I've accumulated 500 nanite clusters and I can't be in open space shooting asteroid for more than a minute or so before I get attacked by hostile ships because nanite is valuable. I'd love it if I could just buy 2,000 thaumium9 off of some trader instead. I'm just trying to hold onto the nanite until I can find a place selling a decent blueprint for nice spaceship weapon. The next trophy I want after warping is the one for murdering other ships so a good weapon would be nice. However, the space pirates are a pain in the ass, so I might buy something just for the sake of getting rid of it. 

1L886f63.png

Platinum #63: No Man's Sky

I finally got this over with. My only tip for new players is to never start it. I enjoyed it more when I decided to focus on a single aspect of the game at a time. I could have saved time by doing those in a different order though. I went in order of what sounded easiest to me. Which I think held true. However, for later trophies, I was doing lots of stuff that would have progressed other trophies along the way. If you are stuck with it on your trophy list and want to get the platinum, work on making the Gek happy. They sell all the spaceship weapon upgrades. I didn't do this so I was earning the trophy with the default pew pew lasers. Do the Galapagos trophy first. You'll be doing tons of walking while searching out animals and you'll find knowledge stones, and warp a few times, etc. There's always a few aliens in the space stations. So you can just get that trophy when you warp. When you warp, you start near a space station, go into that, meet the aliens and warp again. You need 40 aliens and 60 warps. You can easily  meet 3-4 aliens per warp so you'll definitely get that first. Don't waste time searching out trading post or buildings on the planets to meet them. With everything said and done, I really disliked this game. There's no way I can push myself to 100% this. Mostly, this game feels like the skeleton for something much greater. The bones are there, but nothing is fleshed out. You got space combat, but it's the most boring space combat ever. You got alien factions, but they don't matter. You got trading, but there's no reason to have lots of money. You got mining, but it's mostly pointless. The only thing I really liked was the visual style. It's luck of the draw, but some planets are very pretty with interesting color mixes and neat plants. Other planets are barren dirt with nothing special. Quantillions of planets x 0 content = 0 fun.

• Like 2

I started back into Transistor for Spring Fling. It took me an hour or so to get comfortable with gameplay again. I stepped off the story path and went to this backdoor hub area. In that area you have these doors you can go into to take tests. Speed tests will just assign you abilities and you have to kill everything on the screen with what you get in under a minute. Planning tests are similar except you have to kill everything around you in a single Turn(). Stability tests are waved based survival. Agency tests are when you fight against a copy of yourself. Which means they have the ability to freeze time and pile a bunch of damage onto you in Turn() as well. There might be one more I'm forgetting, but doing those tests helped me quite a bit. Since you have to figure out how to use what you are given, it was perfect to reacquaint me with many of the abilities and discover some combinations I haven't tried yet. I feel like I have quite a powerful build now. 

I also spotted a new indie game I want to get my hands on. It's called Super Cloudbuilt. It's gameplay reminds me of Titanfall 2, which I loved. The avatar runs around like the Titanfall pilots but it's in third-person perspective. But you got wall running, fast sliding, double-jumps, etc. Lots of verticality. The art on it kind of reminds me of architectural drawings. Like the company I work at just built a new building a couple of years ago. The art in this game looks a lot like the mock-ups  the construction firm provided to show what our building would look like when completed. Probably just the emphasis on line and kind of cell-shaded with no detail in backgorund. Hard to judge how enjoyable it actually is based on the trailer, but I definitely am interested.

scb.png

Edited by 2G53
  • Like 1

1L9829fa.png

Platinum #64: Transistor

Thanks @donut_plz! I had forgotten to make an update on this platinum. It's only been since last night but my head is kind of everywhere else today. So yeah, I played through Transistor in February and I really liked it. Since it requires two playthroughs, I thought I would hold off and save it for one of my events. I was able to add it to my Spring Fling list.  I really like Super Giant Games.They always have fun gameplay; excellent art; and beautiful, fitting music. Their only weakness is in the story. It's merely good instead of amazing.  There's just a bit of room for improvement.

The defining gameplay element of this game is the functions. Each one has three different uses and it's up to you to balance your build to your play style. Eventually, you will get multiples of functions but initially, you will need to make trade-offs. For example we can take Juant(). When used as a primary ability it lets you blink forward about 20 feet (think Tracer in Overwatch). If used as a passive, it reduces the length of time it takes to initiate Turn() which allows you to freeze time to enter a planning state where you can set a chain of events to happen. You can do stuff like run left to avoid an attack, drop a bomb in the center of the area, and pull everyone into it to be damaged when it explodes. When you've planned out your Turn(), everything will happen in less than a second. Turn() is very OP, but it's balanced by the fact that afterwards, all your abilities are unusable for a few seconds. UNLESS, you use Jaunt() as a secondary ability. When you do this, whatever primary ability you attached it to, will always be available. If you attach it to Mask() you can use Turn() and then turn invisible immediately after and hide while you're vulnerable, etc.

Some tips for future Transistor players

• Use Void() a lot. It makes the targets more vulnerable to damage. We're talking like a 300% damage bonus for you.
  • Bounce() as a passive gives you a nice shield. For me, that was indispensable. It saved me from Haircuts numerous times! lol
  • The tests in the Back Door area can be hard but they'll force you to learn new functions. You should learn them sooner rather than later.
  • Cull() with Load() as secondary is really powerful in the mid-game and when used in combination with Void(), you can one shot pretty much anything. 
  • Flood() with Cull() and Void() as secondary is amazing end-game. You won't need to use Turn() anymore after this which means you'll progress very quickly.
Edited by 2G53
  • Like 4

Now that Transistor is wrapped up, I'm working on Bloodborne. I have the platinum already; so to count it for the event I need to 100% it.  I just need to play through the DLC. Unfortunately, I was not in a good spot to access it. You have to get an item that is behind the fourth boss to gain access to the DLC area. I had just started NG+ on the hunter that I achieved platinum on. If I started over, I would lose a lot of items and upgrades but I'd be on an easier difficulty so it seemed like a wash. Ultimately, I restarted on a new character and made them super ugly with a giant nose and bright red skin. I played it for one night a couple of weeks ago and I got to the Cleric Beast and died a few times. I deicded I'd need to level up to give me an edge while I got comfortable with the game again. I'm not some hardcore bad ass that can do everything naked with no weapon. So I spent most of the the night grinding blood echoes. I got to level about level 50. Then I went an kicked the Cleric Beast's ass and then took down Papa Gascoigne as well. I'm in Old Yharnam now. There is a dude (Jura?) with a gatling gun on a tower that fires at you if you ever leave cover. I got to the tower part and decided to try something I've seen done in multiple videos where you just climb up and shoot him four times and he falls off. That did NOT happen. I shot him a few times and he launched himself at me. I dodged right off the tower and fell to my death. I went after him one more time, got stuck in the open and murdered by the gatling gun. I decided to call it a night after that. I'm hoping that I can take down the Blood-starved Beast and Vicar Amelia tonight and took a look at the DLC area before bed.

Edited by 2G53

Nice to see people enjoying Transistor, I think many people somehow ignored it seeing that it only has 17% average completion - for me it was my first platinum and also the game that got me into trophy hunting, at least sort of as I am at best a casual trophy hunter (got Bastion not long ago and will probably play it on the Vita sometimes). As for Bloodborne, I enjoyed it immensely and actually still remember it well as I played it in January, good luck on cleaning up the DLC trophies (I was relieved to see that none of them required any additional chalice dungeon grind, defeating Yharnam Queen was enough for me), they were actually quite good and I only had a bit of a problem with just one boss. 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:07 AM, det_gittes said:

Nice to see people enjoying Transistor, I think many people somehow ignored it seeing that it only has 17% average completion - for me it was my first platinum and also the game that got me into trophy hunting, at least sort of as I am at best a casual trophy hunter (got Bastion not long ago and will probably play it on the Vita sometimes). As for Bloodborne, I enjoyed it immensely and actually still remember it well as I played it in January, good luck on cleaning up the DLC trophies (I was relieved to see that none of them required any additional chalice dungeon grind, defeating Yharnam Queen was enough for me), they were actually quite good and I only had a bit of a problem with just one boss. 

Thanks for reading. I really enjoyed Bastion and Transistor. I need to go back to Bastion. I played through it once on mobile and then again on PS4, but I need to do a bunch of things for the platinum. I also have Pyre in my collection and plan to use it in the upcoming summer event. It looks really good and I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it. So I'm excited to experience it for myself in the next couple of months. I'm still working my way through the Bloodborne DLC. Since I restarted and only played the main game as far as I had to, I found the DLC to be very tough. Once I got my axe upgraded to +6 or +7 I started to feel OK about things. I'm also grateful for no new chalice grinds. Although, mostly the only thing I hated that grind for was Amygdala in the defiled chalice. He's the true guardian of the platinum. 

candlelight.png

I saw a thread on PSNP trying to promote a lost indie game called Candlelight. It looked fun and I unabashedly am an indie game fan. So I picked it up and I had a mostly good few hours with it. It is definitely indie but it's a pretty good one. There is an angry storm cloud that is snuffing out all of the other candles and it's up to you to relight them. I think if the developer embraced this concept and aimed this game at a younger age group, it would have been more successful. Instead it's only half way does it with occasional random goofiness like, enemies that are literally walking TNT sticks. The game play is very fun. Although it looks 3-D, you are essentially playing a 2-D platformer. It offers good challenges and tries some unexpected things like having you fly in a hot air balloon. The levels are pretty interesting and there's some fun stuff thrown in the mix like an Alice in Wonderland-like level. There is another that reminded me of Tomb Raider. All the controls and game elements work smoothly and like they are supposed to. I never saw a bug or a glitch anywhere.

Any actual criticisms I have are pretty nit-picky and are things like you can't skip the repetitive cut scene that happens each time you activate a milestone. It's only a few seconds long, but by the end of the game you will have seen it about 45 times. There's some missing X factor that would make it more of a stand out. I think what I didn't like was that it took a goofy idea and tried to treat it seriously. But I think it would have embraced this concept as a kid's game and make things a bit more bright, bouncy, and animated, it would be a clear winner. Everything this game throws at you is enjoyable. It just never manages to have anything particularly special going on. So it ends up kind of mediocre. I have no regrets with this purchase and think it's a decent game. I recommend it, but only if you like this genre of game. It's not going to win over anyone else.

Edited by 2G53

I was in the zone last night with Bloodborne; at least, initially. I started the night off by talking a half-hearted shot at the Orphan of Kos and I got him to his second stage where he sprouted his wings. I dodged him for a while to see his new moves and eventually he caught me up in some crazy combo and took my full health bar in about a second. I go and make a second attempt on him and I barely made it, but I got him with no healing potions left at all. Next up was the only story-optional DLC boss. This one is essentially the Cleric Beast, first boss of the game, on fire. I struggled with him for a few rounds, then at my daughter's urging, I switched to the long version of axe. I immediately felt the difference and it was the right call. I didn't get him that first attempt with the long weapon, but the second time I defeated him easily. After that, the only thing left to do was gather up the hunter weapons. This was very enjoyable. I got to where the only weapon left was the Rokuyo. This weapon just happens to be down a well. At the bottom of the well, there are giant frog-shark-whale things. They hit extremely hard and are a total pain in the ass. It was one of those times where you know it's your very last thing and it's maddening that you can't just get it done. I died at least twenty times to them. But eventually, I landed on using fire paper along with a beast blood pellet and I was able to kill the first one before his brother joined in. I was very cautious with the second one. I extended my weapon again and would go in for one swing at a time and back off. I don't know if he had less health than the other one but he went down in a few swings. I'm glad I played it safe though, because the rokuyo was mine! I was so done with it, that I didn't even climb out of the well. I just turned the game off and uninstalled it. ?

• Like 1

I haven't done much gaming for the past couple of days. My youngest daughter joined a spring softball league. So we had to go buy her some equipment for that. She hasn't ever played before so she needs lots of help. Anyway, I poked at Oceanhorn a little. However, I'm kind of not sure what I'm supposed to do right now. I also went back and started up Nioh. I remember I stopped at Hino-Enma last and I had a rough few attempts with her. Now it was even worse because I couldn't remember how the controls worked or anything. I just ran around the level I was on until the combat mostly made sense again. Then I went and attempted Hino-Enma several times. I almost had her a few times. I was making a lot of mistakes because I just finished Bloodborne and the dodge button was :circle: in BB and :cross: in Nioh. I looked through the control settings for something more like Bloodborne. Nothing was an exact match of course, but I found something. When I switched, things just got weirder so it kind of backfired on me. It was getting to be 1 am, so I summoned a player into my game and together we crushed Hino-Enma. I like to do bosses on my own, but I felt stuck there. Especially since I just restarted working on the game. I think I'll be back up to speed after clearing a couple side missions. 

hino.png

Wow. It's been almost a whole week since I've had time to post my progress here. I've worked on a bunch of things. 

1Lf759a2.png

Platinum #65: Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas

I have mixed feelings on this game. It tries to be a Legend of Zelda clone, but doesn't quite get there. The cut scenes are janky and weird. There was one, where a guy hits a girl and she flops over laughably bad. The voice over guy seems overly serious. The game is all kind of happy go lucky feeling, but then the dude talking is like all doom and gloom. The game obviously doesn't have the same amount of polish as a Zelda title and I think that's what I missed the most. However, by the end of the game, I found this had it's own brand of charm. I enjoyed what it put out there for me. The puzzles were pretty good and not overly complicated. There's nothing in the game that isn't self explanatory so I don't have much advice for people that might read this. The only part I struggled with at all is catching the final fish. It is easy to find but hard to catch because it electrifies the fishing line and drains your health. So just make your you have 7+ hearts before going for it or the fish will just get away every time by the attrition rate of your health vs it's strength.

ms3.png

This is an older arcade run and gun shooter. I've gotten it to RANK A, but I plan to 100% it. It shouldn't take me very long. However, I'm already double the trophy guide's estimation of three hours. I didn't try to save scum and do a perfect run and stuff though, so it's not really their fault. I like guides so I understand what to do, but I decide how I do it, because I am my own man. Overall, it's really fun. It was designed to eat quarters in the arcade, so expect cheap deaths but super fun game play.

hiddenagenda.png

This game is Hidden Agenda. It's made by the folks that did Until Dawn. The graphical quality is very high, particularly facial animations. One funny weakness is everyone's hair stays perfectly in place. The main girl has a pony tail and that thing is perfectly rigid. Anyway, the game plays very well and is enjoyable. It feels like if Telltale did a CSI game. You're basically trying to solve a series a murders that are reminiscent of the Saw movies. There is no single player version though. You can go through it just for the story but it's still controlled by people voting with their phones. In competitive mode, the game gives people secret tasks. One might call them hidden agendas... With these, you are supposed to sway the story in one direction or another to make it so your agenda comes to fruition. It might be like "Interview the suspect yourself.." or "Refuse Felicity's offer." If you succeed, you get a big chunk of points. So of course people will argue and be suspicious of each other's votes and stuff like that. It can be really fun in a group. 

• Like 1

pvz.png

Alright, Last night I finished Rank A on Plants vs. Zombies. I'm making steady progress on trophies and having fun when I'm playing so I think I'll be sticking this one out for the platinum. However, I'm taking a break from it, because I randomly picked up another game, God of War, as a rental from Redbox. Since it's a rental, I'm going to push through that one as fast as I can. I'm hoping the platinum is possible within a few days. I think it is. Anyway, it's now on my backlog list. That thing has not shrunk much despite the number of games I've checked off this year already. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

pvz.png

Alright, Last night I finished Rank A on Plants vs. Zombies. I'm making steady progress on trophies and having fun when I'm playing so I think I'll be sticking this one out for the platinum. However, I'm taking a break from it, because I randomly picked up another game, God of War, as a rental from Redbox. Since it's a rental, I'm going to push through that one as fast as I can. I'm hoping the platinum is possible within a few days. I think it is. Anyway, it's now on my backlog list. That thing has not shrunk much despite the number of games I've checked off this year already. 

Haha I hear you on the backlog. I keep knocking off games and adding 2 more. :blink:

• Like 1

gow.png

I ended up renting the new God of War on launch day. I was really hoping to plow through it over the weekend but it was too much! I binged on it until I had enough and then some. The game is really good and I enjoyed all of the story content immensely. I also truly appreciate that it wasn't trying to sell me any special currency or xp boosts etc. There is a lot of side quests that are just as fleshed out as the main. Unfortunately, there are a lot of collectibles. I don't mind the lore collectibles, but stupid stuff like randomly killing 50 spirit ravens don't add anything at all to the game. When there's so much rich content, why add that shit and make it a trophy. It's just stupid. I also would have appreciated being able to fast travel back to the boat or the last mystic doorway or whatever. The game is totally up there with Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us. It's one of the greats, but not the greatest ever like some say. I was hoping to get the plat before I turned it back in, but I was getting burned out on the collectibles and needed a break. I turned it back in yesterday. 

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

gow.png

I ended up renting the new God of War on launch day. I was really hoping to plow through it over the weekend but it was too much! I binged on it until I had enough and then some. The game is really good and I enjoyed all of the story content immensely. There is a lot of side content and unfortunately, a lot of collectibles. I don't mind the lore collectibles, but stupid stuff like randomly killing 50 spirit ravens don't add anything at all to the game. When there's so much rich content, why add that shit and make it a trophy. It's just stupid. I also would have appreciated being able to fast travel back to the boat or the last mystic doorway or whatever. The game is totally up there with Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us. It's one of the greats, but not the greatest ever like some say. I also truly appreciate that it wasn't trying to sell me any special currency or xp boosts etc. I was hoping to get the plat before I turned it abck in, but I was getting burned out on the collectibles and needed a break. I turned it back in yesterday. 

I was thinking of renting this one also.  Thanks for the write up, may wait and try some of my other games right now.