What Got You Into Trophy Hunting?

K_Raw21

Just curious to see other's response. What got you into trophy hunting? Was it something your friends encouraged, something you saw others do and it was pretty cool and you wanted to try it out, or did it just happen and you've been hooked every since. For me it was because of Resident Evil 5. I loved that game and played it alot. After getting all the weapons in the game to unlimited ammo. I decided to get all the trophies for the game as well and tada! I got my very first platinum trophy. It has been an amazing journey every since :)

P.S. I'm not sure if this thread has been created before I didn't see it after scrolling through the first 20 pages of a couple of areas

I'm not ashamed to admit it was the ping sound..

Also this site, being able to see a list of collectible things that I haven't collected makes me feel like I need to collect them. If this site went down, I probably wouldn't bother with trophies.

And gives me the feeling that I completed the game, instead of just finishing the story and declaring it done.

• Like 1

As a kid I always collected all stars/coins etc as a mean to make the games last longer as NES/SNES games were quite expensive.

More or less falling out of gaming only to get a PS4 in fall of 2015, I started playing the first Uncharted and naturally found a treasure ; causing a trophy to pop. Felt like a really natural progression from what I did as a kid, and if they would have existed when I grew up Im sure I would have been going for whatever arbitrary goals the devs would have laid out then instead of what I made up myself :)

• Like 1

I used to always look to complete everything in a game before the trophy feature was introduced. The first game I earned the platinum for was Resident Evil 5 and that was unintentional but the first game I attempted to actually earn trophies in was God of war III. After which, I was just absolutely hooked and that begat my platinum obsession.

I always had a bunch of games i played at the same time but never finished many of them. It would lead to me often raking long breaks between playing the same game and just being to confused when i came back. I restarted Skyrim 4 or 5 times cause i had just no idea what was going on and what my build was anymore. Also ever since i got my first Ps3 i had an interest in trophies, but i never went out of my way to get them.
Then one day a friend lended my his copy of the stick of truth and since the plat was so easy i was like "fuck it" and got it in 3 weeks since i had to ive the game back. Shortly after i also got the Plat for Far Cry 3 which was one of the few games i actually fnished. I just liked that feeling of actually being done with a game this gave me so i started doing it more and more and slowly came to the point where i am now. :)

Edited by Sundr0wn

Short answer, being poor.

Long answer, I decided to go back to school and I didn't have a job for a while. I had a ton of games in my collection from over the years, but had already beaten them. Since I didn't have money to buy new games, I decided to start trophy hunting, as an excuse to go back and play the games I had already beaten.  After I started getting money again, I decided to keep trophy hunting, when I feel like it. It's a great way to extend game time for games I like, or when I don't want to spend money on games.

I was 11 years old, and played LittleBigPlanet1 round my friends, and loved it, loved the look of the trophy images and everything about it, so I missed out of a birthday present to get a PS3 for christmas. And got my first platinum a couple months before my 12th birthday.

I'm 20 years old now and still trophying strong.

It is indeed a great way to save money and keeping out of more troublesome things when I'm not in the most ideal position in life right now. I certainly know a person or three who would probably be happier if they popped a few plats, but sadly the field of social/medical science doesn't yet approve the benefits of trophies. It's clean, safe and keeps people goal oriented. Why cause trouble out in the streets at night when you could boost Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer with your bros instead? I only got into it a few years after trophies were first introduced and didn't really care until I just sort of happened to pop one. Gradually I just got more and I think now I get at least one a month, which I think is reasonable.

I started collecting trophies when the PSN was hacked back in 2011 and was taken offline by Sony for nearly a month. With no online gameplay and getting bored I went back through my COD games and played the campaigns whilst collecting trophies. I realised it was fun and that trophies made you explore some cool things about games that you may never see otherwise. Gradually became a more serious trophy hunter ever since. So something good came out of the inconvenience those scumbag hackers caused!

I started serious trophy hunting in 2012. Primarily, there are a few reasons. 

1. I liked getting rewarded for completing parts of the game. It was such a satisfying feeling to here that sound and see the image pop up in the top right corner that it made me to keep going. I always remember the day I got my first platinum trophy (inFamous 2)
  2.  It allowed me to otherwise keep exploring what the game had to offer even after I finished with the main story, did side missions, and went at collectibles. Trophies provided that additional incentive to keep going. 
  3. I realized that it would help me remember that game more if I have that trophy in my cabinet to look back and say, "hey, I remember when I played that!" Kind of like a historical memento. 
  • Like 2

Back in the summer of 2011, I was looking to pick up either a PS3 or X-Box 360, because I hadn't had my own gaming console since PS1, which I shared with my brother (he had an original X-Box for a while, too, but it was only a few months before it somehow ended up in pieces in the back of his friend's tattoo shop). Most of my friends had PS3's (one of them seemed to switch systems every few months, though), so I decided to go with that. Funnily enough, I never really played online, so the point was kind of moot.

Anyway, I played a couple games (LittleBigPlanet, Dead Rising 2 which I borrowed from a friend, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection [AKA: Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection]) without worrying at all about trophies, and not even really working to complete the games. When I started Batman: Arkham Asylum, most of the trophies just came pretty naturally, as I was basically trying to get 100% in-game, and that sort of began my trophy hunting. I did end up hitting a brick wall in some of the challenge maps (looking at you, Shock and Awe Extreme!) and so I moved on. Played a bit of Assassin's Creed 2 borrowed from a buddy, and about 1 level of Uncharted.

One day, I ended up comparing trophy lists with my friends and decided I wanted to be the best (of this small group, an honor that I was probably the only one to care about). They had some platinums, so I was going to get some of my own. Started with Dragon Age: Origins since one of them had the plat for that, but for some reason stopped after a few hours. Began Final Fantasy XIII (another one my friend had platted), completed the story and played a few other games here and there while going back occasionally to grind out levels and what not. Finally gave up on the post game grind and moved on, though I would come back from time to time and play an hour or two, but wouldn't make any more progress toward plat.

Next up: GTA IV. I would surely get this one! Played through the story, grinded out all the single-player trophies, including the pigeons, but couldn't bring myself to make any headway in the multiplayer, for some reason. Started Batman: Arkham City, got through the story, and cleaned up most of the side missions, so I got inspired to go back and make another honest attempt at Asylum. Got the Hard difficulty no problem, cleaned up the predator challenges, and hit the Shock and Awe Extreme wall again.

I bought a copy of the Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection and went to finish up AC 2. Completed the story, and used a guide to help me find all the feathers. When that platinum popped I felt such a rush, it was great! Went back to Arkham Asylum to face that last challenge. After 5 days of attempting it, taking breaks when too frustrated, and attempting it again, I finally beat Shock and Awe Extreme. Freeflow Gold popped, followed by Perfect Knight, and the Platinum! That felt even better than the previous platinum!

From that point on, I've been hunting trophies, though I have taken a few months off of gaming here and there when it becomes too all-consuming. Granted, my 13 plats pales in comparison to most of you here, but I AM number 1 in my group of friends (and none of them care).

Edit: I didn't realize I had written a novella here. TLDR; basically, the reasons others have said, I guess.

Edited by CLef86
TLDR
  • Like 1

I played on Xbox 360 for the majority of last generation and I remember being into achievements since the beginning, although it was a lot more of a casual thing - I didn't attempt to 100% the vast majority of games I played. Part of the reason I got into them was to compete with my friends at the time to see who could get the highest gamerscore. I couldn't afford many new games back then either, so achievements were a way of getting more out of my purchases.

When I bought a PS3 towards the end of 2013, my interest in achievements kind of just transferred to trophies, although getting the 100% in a game was vastly more appealing to me thanks to the platinum trophy. Then I discovered this site and the rest was history. I became a little obsessed with my stats and constantly wanted to improve them. I've come a long way since my humble beginnings as a casual achievement hunter. :lol:

• Like 1

I was first introduced to the Xbox 360 achievements, but was not into it. When i got my PS3, i was not concerned at first but while comparing profiles with friends, i realized that we had all approximately the same percentages on games and the competitive fire in me lit up. Basically, i was an average gamer, and i didn't like that. Getting 100% makes me better than others (in my opinion) and makes me sleep like a baby. (and that pinging sound ? )

Edited by ShepardGT_