tezgamer

Trump blames video games for mass shootings

148 posts in this topic

I saw those terrible news on tv this morning and Trump also said that teachers should carry guns and get trained adequately.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to do with guns being readily available obviously....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All part of the smoke screen that will make sure nothing will really change. Just like the proposal to arm teachers now as well. Because you solve the problem of too many guns by introducing more guns, obviously. So that instead of just emotionally troubled students killing other students, emotionally troubled teachers will as well.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is he so dumb, and why do people still believe in him, i don't get it.

He only shouts out the dumbest things in his speeches. 

And the only way he knows how to solve problems is to fight fire with more fire.

He is the president now for a year and a bit and the only thing he achieved is that a nuclear war is closer then ever. Great job

Edited by Lars
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprising at all. Guns being available for practically anyone in the US is never part of the problem, instead it's always other things.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just blatantly saying Video Games do NOT have an influence on children or people in general is also wrong. They can have many positive effects on children, but at the same time, if a disturbed individual gets their hands on something like GTA or watches movies like "God Bless America" it's no wonder that the conclusion is being drawn.

 

I don't agree with the notion that "video games make people violent" but they, as well as Action and Gore in movies, can have a numbing effect on the minds of the easily influenced.

Edited by NanaCheese94
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can ban violent video games and movies, but it's not gonna help solve this issue. As long as any Joe Schmo is able to get a gun in the US this is just gonna keep happenin'.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Misleading title. He didn't just "blame video games" for corrupting the minds of children. In fact, he seemed to go much harder on violent movies. Quite honestly, I don't see anything wrong with what he said, and I actually agree with him that it's kind of ridiculous how a kid can go see movies with tons of violence when anything sexual is off-limits. Violent video games and movies aren't the problem, but the parents who don't give a fuck about what media their child consumes are.

 

Here's a clip of what he said (with another misleading title, but it'll do). I fail to see anything wrong with his wording...

 

Kids can't just waltz into an 18+ movie and expect to be allowed to watch it. Those age restrictions are restricted much better than the PEGI/ESRB ratings for video games.

And there have been studies which show that video games do not make people more violent, and such a blanket statement is extremely dumb considering we have games like Hannah Montana, LEGO, Professor Layton, RiME,etc. There's plenty of games with very little violence in them.

 

His suggestion to arm teachers with guns is just... how can anyone think that's a good idea? America should be taking away guns, not adding more to the equation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least, this time they aren't blaming rock music. xD

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Kids can't just waltz into an 18+ movie and expect to be allowed to watch it. Those age restrictions are restricted much better than the PEGI/ESRB ratings for video games.

Maybe not Kids, but a 16-18 year old Teenager might be able to. Also there are always parents who buy their kids graphic stuff. Let's just take the example of GTA. It's a game that is literally about going around and causing Mayham, thats why people buy it, because it lets you be the bad guy essentially. Most parents would probably never buy their kids porn to watch, but a Cod game or GTA might just be on their christmas wishlist  and gets bought without question.

 

You are right though, the USA NEEDS better gun regulations. Mainly they need education and verification for people who want a gun. It shouldn't be as easy to get a gun as it is today, but outright baning guns is also a bad idea. But you know, if they don't change the system to make it harder to get a gun then I think giving the teachers guns is actually not a bad idea. At least they wont get helplessly gunned down in a school shooting in that case.

Edited by NanaCheese94
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is all this nonsense was spouted just days after 17 people were needlessly killed.  There are much more important issues that need addressing other than video games or movies. Of course an unstable person could be influenced by movies or games but also by the news or books or any number of things.

I don't believe it's solely about guns either, though they obviously play a massive part. October 2015-october 2016, UK 23, USA 38000 gun related deaths of which around 11000 were homicides.

Surely the focus should be on what is wrong with society in general and not laying a smoke screen to deflect away from the real issues. Politicians of all parties need to put aside petty grievances and work on a solution.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, madbuk said:

Kids can't just waltz into an 18+ movie and expect to be allowed to watch it. Those age restrictions are restricted much better than the PEGI/ESRB ratings for video games.

And there have been studies which show that video games do not make people more violent, and such a blanket statement is extremely dumb considering we have games like Hannah Montana, LEGO, Professor Layton, RiME,etc. There's plenty of games with very little violence in them.

 

His suggestion to arm teachers with guns is just... how can anyone think that's a good idea? America should be taking away guns, not adding more to the equation.

 

I didn't say they could, but there's surprisingly a lot of violence in movies with lower age ratings. I think I heard about a scene in one of the newer Star Wars movies that has someone getting disintegrated into a cloud of blood by a ceiling fan at one point and kids can go see that like it's nothing. Haven't watched those movies, so I can't say for sure, but I bet others can come up with examples from other movies that are "suitable for kids/young teens". The point is, as a culture, the West (and more specifically the US) has been desensitised to violence.

 

I'm not arguing that video games make people more violent, but they can have an effect on the developing mind of a child, or those who are easily influenced. And I'm pretty sure Trump was referring to violent video games, not all of them.

 

As for arming teachers, that could serve as a deterrent to school shooters. I mean they're cowards - if the people in there actually had a way of defending themselves, they would think twice.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People always blame things on anything so they don't take the blame. If films or games were the problem shouldn't there be many more crime commited?

Many people have been brought up with violence in fictional or non-fiction ways, it affects the person sure but it's up to parent or guardians to teach them right from wrong. I was able to play any game at any age, so when I was 5 i would happily play horror, killing, gory games but I also got taught that it's only allowed in games and you know the common knowledge. 

 

People would rather push things into something they have no experience with and if people complain that it's kids getting corrupted then it's up to the parents. I feel like games aren't getting more gory in anyway compared to what they use to but I do see a major difference in kids, mainly due to parents not caring or not checking what they're doing online.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Maybe not Kids, but a 16-18 year old Teenager might be able to. Also there are always parents who buy their kids graphic stuff. Let's just take the example of GTA. It's a game that is literally about going around and causing Mayham, thats why people buy it, because it lets you be the bad guy essentially. Most parents would probably never buy their kids porn to watch, but a Cod game or GTA might just be on their christmas wishlist  and gets bought without question.

 

You are right though, the USA NEEDS better gun regulations. Mainly they need education and verification for people who want a gun. It shouldn't be as easy to get a gun as it is today, but outright baning guns is also a bad idea. But you know, if they don't change the system to make it harder to get a gun then I think giving the teachers guns is actually not a bad idea. At least they wont get helplessly gunned down in a school shooting in that case.

Imagine how many times a teacher with a gun will end up missing the target and instead hit an innocent kid. This could even occur during practice drills, speaking of which, time spent studying will be taken up by a teacher waving a gun around. Also schools don't have infinite funding, taxes will need to go up to pay for these guns and nobody will be happy about that, especially when the money could be going towards better education - why people actually attend school in the first place - instead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, madbuk said:

Imagine how many times a teacher with a gun will end up missing the target and instead hit an innocent kid. This could even occur during practice drills, speaking of which, time spent studying will be taken up by a teacher waving a gun around. Also schools don't have infinite funding, taxes will need to go up to pay for these guns and nobody will be happy about that, especially when the money could be going towards better education - why people actually attend school in the first place - instead.

Not if they get the proper training, and why would a teacher wave their gun around if there is no shooter to threaten them. You wouldn't wave around a fire extinguisher if there is no fire. As I see it, the American education system is already in a very bad place. Poor children get no food and everyaone is crushed below too much homework and useless tests. Then there comes college which fucks up your finances indefinitely.

 

What I'm trying to say is it seems like there is already so much money and time mismanaged apparently, that it would definitely be in the teachers interest to at least ensure the kids and themselves are not gonna get gunned down. On top of all the shit they have to endure daily already. If you assume there are only two solutions for this, either restrict gun laws or arm teahcers, the quick fix would be to arm teachers. It doesn't look like American politics are ready to change the laws anytime soon, so why not do WHATEVER you can to ensure you're not getting killed by some maniac.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

 

I didn't say they could, but there's surprisingly a lot of violence in movies with lower age ratings. I think I heard about a scene in one of the newer Star Wars movies that has someone getting disintegrated into a cloud of blood by a ceiling fan at one point and kids can go see that like it's nothing. Haven't watched those movies, so I can't say for sure, but I bet others can come up with examples from other movies that are "suitable for kids/young teens". The point is, as a culture, the West (and more specifically the US) has been desensitised to violence.

 

I'm not arguing that video games make people more violent, but they can have an effect on the developing mind of a child, or those who are easily influenced. And I'm pretty sure Trump was referring to violent video games, not all of them.

 

As for arming teachers, that could serve as a deterrent to school shooters. I mean they're cowards - if the people in there actually had a way of defending themselves, they would think twice.

Okay so why is US the only one with a school shooting problem on a regular basis? I don't remember when the last school shooting in UK was, and it's certainly not a regular occurrence.

It wouldn't serve as a deterrent, if anything it'd increase the number of school students as kids manage to steal the guns. You can bet that there will be many teachers who don't secure them properly. It's just adding even more guns to the equation when the actual solution is to remove them entirely. There is no reason to own a gun outside of the army unless you intend to kill someone, which is illegal. So why does US have guns in the first place? Who the fuck knows.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally believe that arming teachers is truly insane. Half the teachers I had were mad bastards who shouldn't be trusted. But that aside how the hell is the debate about arming teachers even something that exists. No other country has this and lots of countries allow gun ownership. Expecting teachers to kill is absolutely unacceptable anywhere in the world.

Let's not forget there was a fully trained armed law officer in that school and that didn't stop the shooting.

As for taking the guns away from America, it will never happen but refusing to even debate some kind of control is utterly irresponsible and cowardly. Politicians are more worried about the NRA and losing their votes than protecting their people. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

Oh and one more thing after every mass shooting Trump calls the perpetrators mentally ill, which they may be but this administration recently relaxed the rules on mentally ill people owning guns.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.