tezgamer

Trump blames video games for mass shootings

148 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Well yeah, shame on that deputy for not reacting then. That doesn't have anything to do with my point though. Fact is, there have been robberies and possibly murders prevented by victims carrying guns. A porperly trained teacher with a handgun could stop a shooter or possibly prevent the shooting from happening in the first place (due to intmidation)

And who do you propose to pay for the training?  Teachers here are not paid a good wage and some can't even afford teaching supplies for their own classroom, let alone gun training.  Even then standing your ground when an aggressor is trying to kill you is not something that comes naturally to people.  I doubt a teacher with a handgun would deter or stop someone with a semi-automatic weapon

Arming teachers increases the chances of kids being shot in the crossfire, it adds an additional confusion to SWAT teams trying to verify who the assailant is and it does also increase the chances of accidental shooting.

At least some movement has been made today in terms of proposals by Governor Rick Scott calling to raise the age you can purchase a weapon to 21, banning bump socks, putting an officer in every school and toughening background checks.  

6 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

I hate politics... and it shouldn't be discussed... because after reading all your comments... i realize how ignorant a majority of the people I play with are.

Do I have a solution? No... but all you Trump bashers... Guess what, he was elected. Deal with it. Us normals had to deal with Obummer for 8 years - deal with it for another 3 (Where upon someone new gets elected)

As for the armed security guard that waited outside... shame on him, he was there for one reason - and he failed.

It is a tragedy, yes. Is there a simple solution, no. Is coming on here just to say "Trump is stupid" useful? no. And for those actually discussing what happened and have used your head, thank you.

Normal people aren't allowed to like Obama (you misspelled his name btw) more than Trump?

In my country it´s harder to get a weapon legal than illegal. And every time somebody with an illegal weapon is the problem, that causes more problems for those, who have their weapons legal (sports/hunting).

14 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Well yeah, shame on that deputy for not reacting then. That doesn't have anything to do with my point though. Fact is, there have been robberies and possibly murders prevented by victims carrying guns. A porperly trained teacher with a handgun could stop a shooter or possibly prevent the shooting from happening in the first place (due to intmidation)

Your point has as much salience as preventing arsonists by arming homeowners with flamethrowers.

Will arming every teacher prevent some premeditated school shootings? Of course. Then any positive benefit that will have will be offset immediately by the countless unforeseen gun deaths and injuries caused by throwing more guns at a gun issue. From accidents, to heat-of-the-moment aggression, to first responders shooing first and asking questions later.

And in the end, the only benefits reaped will be more profit for gun and ammunition manufacturers.

Edited by Zondares

I started this thread because once again games are used as a scape goat for terrible events, but its turned into a debate about arming teachers. So here are my general opinions on the matter. Firstly, no it's just morally wrong to expect teachers to kill. But if you go down that road there are other things to consider.

What if the teacher snaps.and starts to shoot?

What if they leave their gun where a small child or potential killer can access it?

If there is a shooter in the school and the police turn up they would almost certainly shoot at anybody with a gun regardless of who they were. That equals one dead teacher.

The shooter if they knew a teacher had a gun would probably shoot that teacher first. Then you'd have a shooter with one more gun. 

Apart from the above it's a great idea. 

1 minute ago, madbuk said:

Normal people aren't allowed to like Obama (you misspelled his name btw) more than Trump?

No, i'm pretty sure I spelled it right. And ya, you can like or dislike whomever you want. But it comes back to this generation of entitled brats. Were there riots and complete disregard for the Electoral process when Obummer was elected? No - Can't say the same for the current President.

2 minutes ago, Babsimabuse said:

In my country it´s harder to get a weapon legal than illegal. And every time somebody with an illegal weapon is the problem, that causes more problems for those, who have their weapons legal (sports/hunting).

Which brings up the best argument of them all... If Guns were Illigal, would it stop Criminals? It would work just as well as making certain drugs Illegal.

6 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

On that exact note, Guns have been around forever... why weren't there school shootings before the last ~10 years?

IN MY OPINION: These last generations have been raised horribly, Children that have been babysat by the television.... learn from the TV. And lets be honest, most things on the TV are garbage and provide little to no Good substance.
-AND-
Media... it's worldwide now, someone can't fart and it not be widespread and viral within days. The entire world is plugged in so everyone hears about what the media is showing... and lets be honest, violence sells (refer to my point about TV). Good natured news does not. Media/News is extremely bias and is going to milk every violent act for what it's worth.

Been thinking about that exact thing earlier today. Parents are getting worse too, they consciously assume their kids will magically be as smart as them, despite the fact that they aren't being placed in the situations they were in to gain real life experience or knowledge. 

There's less we have to know to survive these days, because technology can do a lot for us. When we do less, we have to learn less, and we know less. This leads to moronic kids zapping themselves putting forks into electric outlets, or charging their phone near the bathtub and shocking themselves to death. Or eating tide pods because they look like candy (they don't even look like candy). They're not being taught the basic essentials, and in some cases they're not learning anything at all. Not to mention how degenerate people are these days leading to more broken homes and terrible parents --if they have a strong father figure at all. It's the blind leading the blind.

Just now, KingdomxSouls said:

Been thinking about that exact thing earlier today. Parents are getting worse too, they consciously assume their kids will magically be as smart as them, despite the fact that they aren't being placed in the situations they were in to gain real life experience or knowledge. 

There's less we have to know to survive these days, because technology can do a lot for us. When we do less, we have to learn less, and we know less. This leads to moronic kids zapping themselves putting forks into electric outlets, or charging their phone near the bathtub and shocking themselves to death. Or eating tide pods because they look like candy (they don't even look like candy). They're not being taught the basic essentials, and in some cases they're not learning anything at all. Not to mention how degenerate people are these days leading to more broken homes and terrible parents --if they have a strong father figure at all. It's the blind leading the blind.

Thank you for putting it in perfect words.

11 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

And who do you propose to pay for the training?  Teachers here are not paid a good wage and some can't even afford teaching supplies for their own classroom, let alone gun training.  Even then standing your ground when an aggressor is trying to kill you is not something that comes naturally to people.  I doubt a teacher with a handgun would deter or stop someone with a semi-automatic weapon

Arming teachers increases the chances of kids being shot in the crossfire, it adds an additional confusion to SWAT teams trying to verify who the assailant is and it does also increase the chances of accidental shooting.

At least some movement has been made today in terms of proposals by Governor Rick Scott calling to raise the age you can purchase a weapon to 21, banning bump socks, putting an officer in every school and toughening background checks.  

How about the NRA. Im sure they would happily pay for teachers gun education. It woule be good PR for them.

11 minutes ago, Zondares said:

Your point has as much salience as preventing arsonists by arming homeowners with flamethrowers.

Will arming every teacher prevent some premeditated school shootings? Of course. Then any positive benefit that will have will be offset immediately by the countless unforeseen gun deaths and injuries caused by throwing more guns at a gun issue. From accidents, to heat-of-the-moment aggression, to first responders shooing first and asking questions later.

And in the end, the only benefits reaped will be more profit for gun and ammunition manufacturers.

Did you really just compare arsonists to school shooters? Obviously you cant stop a fire with a flamethrower. This is a stupid counter argument sry.

23 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

On that exact note, Guns have been around forever... why weren't there school shootings before the last ~10 years?

There were plenty of school shootings before the last ~10 years, dating right back to the 1800's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

You are correct though that some of the deadliest ones have been in the last 10-12 years.

Edited by Mesopithecus

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You are locked in a room.

There are 99 other people in that room. 

1 of those people is a homicidal maniac, intent on killing people, though you don’t know who it is.

A loaded gun is is on the floor in the centre of the room, and you have two levers.

The first lever will drop that gun down a hole in the floor, removing it from the room.

The second lever will drop 99 more loaded guns into the room, enough for everyone to have one.

Would you feel safer pulling the first lever, or the second? 

That depends on the answer to this question:

... Are the safeties on? 

1 minute ago, SolarCat02 said:

That depends on the answer to this question:

... Are the safeties on? 

More like, are they loaded?

4 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

More like, are they loaded?

The question already states that they are loaded.

6 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Did you really just compare arsonists to school shooters? Obviously you cant stop a fire with a flamethrower. This is a stupid counter argument sry.

An intentionally ridiculous comparison with clearly obvious faults. See any problem with your reasoning then? You’re arguing in favor of tackling destructive individuals using destructive weapons by throwing more destructive weapons into the mix. It’s pure reckless chaos, leading to even more death and destruction. More profits for gun manufacturers.

No individual citizen needs devices capable of causing mass killing, and mandating that even more should have immediate access to them isn’t just fanning the flames of this senseless culture of death our society seems to want to uphold, It’s handing out free flamethrowers.

Here are my 5 cents, the US is screwed. Even if they don't sell guns anymore and have laws like GB, France or Germany they are still f***d, cause there are way too much guns

in the hands of millions of citizens. These guns will never disappear and will always find a way to evil people. Just look at what is happening in Brazil:

"However, 2012 marked the highest rate of gun deaths in 35 years for Brazil 8 years after a ban to carry handguns in public went in to effect."

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Brazil)

If you dive deeper you realize how horrible it still is, even after the government tried to do something about it.

It is already too late for countries like Brazil or the US, no matter what the government will do. Period.

Before video games were invented, there was no violence, no rape, no theft, no idolatry, no fraud, no jealousy, no envy, no wars, no poverty, no bullying, no gossiping, no anger, no backbiting, no greed, no conceit, no addictions, no diseases, no gambling, no political corruption, no failures of society, no broken families, no broken marriages, etc.

Before video games were invented, this world was all peace and love.

Even though tanks, planes, and guns were invented before video games, none of them fired a single shot or dropped a single bomb until that day...That day when two sticks bounced a ball back and forth. On that day THAT TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAY when...

/hesitates to speak its name

THE DAY 2620.png PONG 2620.png WAS PLAYED, the world plunged into chaos.

Then when 2620.pngPACMAN 2620.png was released...this world became nothing but a wasteland of shattered dreams....

Video games caused all this!

Video games caused this future =

Welp...lemme get back to Dead Space and dismember Necromorphs lol >:)

24 minutes ago, KingdomxSouls said:

How old was the Vegas shooter? It's not just kids.

I'm not sure I agree with much of what you're saying but you are right that it's a problem with society. It does seem to be a particularly American problem. These things don't happen in such numbers elsewhere. When they do happen measures are taken to prevent them happening again. Such as happened in Australia and Britain after shootings. Contrary to popular belief guns are not banned here in Britain but are very strictly controlled as to what type of gun is legal and who can have them. A ban is not the answer but some kind of control is necessary. The idea that in some states you can buy shotguns with no need for a licence but sparklers are banned because they're dangerous it crazy.

16 minutes ago, tezgamer said:

I'm not sure I agree with much of what you're saying but you are right that it's a problem with society.

What is there to agree with or not agree with, and why would you choose basic fundamentals to disagree with if you're not giving a rebuttal to them? 

How old was the Vegas shooter? It's not just kids.

Of course, I absolutely agree. And the Vegas shooter's family seemed to all be disturbed individuals.

Such as happened in Australia and Britain after shootings.

Those are the worst examples you could use. There were never that many massacres in Australia to begin with. As for Britain, LOL, you can be put in jail for a mean Facebook post. Britain's citizens are under the government's thumb. This idea that you can even consider comparing different countries just shows that there are no arguments here. The United States and Britain are so different in culture, policy, and values it's almost laughable to even have the two enter the realm of debate together.

And another thing, there are more guns in Australia now than there were before 1996. And when there was that gun buyback, only a fraction of gun-owners turned theirs in. Good, law-abiding citizens who probably weren't to commit massacres to begin with were the ones giving theirs up, while the majority of gunowners kept theirs. (And when it occurred, the suicide rate spiked, but that's a different issue).

A ban is not the answer but some kind of control is necessary. The idea that in some states you can buy shotguns with no need for a licence but sparklers are banned because they're dangerous it crazy.

Gun control wouldn't have stopped the many  of the mass shootings. I could install software on my computer, access the Deep Web, go on their version of eBay, and buy guns no fuss, and probably have one within a week. Private sellers aren't hard to find. There are 300 million guns in the US.

Edited by KingdomxSouls

If this was true then... what about the whole rest of the world? South Korea would have way more shootings than anything else since gaming and eSports is something serious there.

Owning a gun in the US is seen as normal, you can't say the same thing about many other countries in the world... i don't get why people sometimes say "Guns don't kill, people do", you need the gun in the 1st place... besides, most of these shootings happening in the US now a days were from people who owned something like an assault rifle rather than a pistol, i could understand if you own a pistol for safety, but an assault rifle? Why would anybody need something like that? How can anybody sell an assault rifle to someone else and think everything will turn out okay? This type of thing is supposed to be used in a war scenario, to kill people. 

In my country guns are seen as a bad thing, owning a gun is ridiculous, i'd assume it's easier to get it by illegal means even.

The whole problem is the culture in the US IMO, guns are seen as normal, you can buy an assault rifle and no one will suspect it (which is the weirdest thing to me), it's very human to not realize the problem is within yourself, but it's also human to eventually be able to overcome that and change it. This is a really slow change though, and i think it's really up to the next generation, as generations go by, cultures change and the way of thinking of people do too ever so slightly, the parents have a big play on this too... so maybe it all boils down to that. Bad parenting, not talking to your child, the kid gathers so much hate and then having the gun and knowing where the gun is makes them grab it and go on a killing spree.

Every country has something similar to this, a woman grabs their kitchen knife and kills someone else, a crazy man steals a car and drives through people, a gang kills a group of men because they didn't give them the drugs... the media loves to focus on the US but it's a problem in the whole world, mass shootings are more of an US thing because you are able to buy auto rifles so it's much easier to kill multiple people.

Also, i hate it when people say that the shooter had "mental problems" but if he was from certain parts of the world (i.e not white/American), they instead say that it's because he's black, because he came from [country], it's so sad how we are able to hate each other so much... and in this case it's because you were born in another piece of land? So weird! Imagine if someone hated you for not being born on the same hospital as them!

This is when that patriotism turns into something bad. I think patriotism or pride is one of the things that lead to war... "if you are not like me, i don't like you" type of thing. At least with the birth of the internet we get to socialize more with people from all over the world (if either of you know the same language), so that helps break that "barrier" a bit. Just look at how far we've come with the whole "being gay" type of thing, it's way more less of a taboo now than ever before, which leads to the point i made above about the new generations slowly changing things.

Just my general thoughts.

Also thank you Undead Wolf for linking the actual video where Trump talks about this. :)

57 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

I hate politics... and it shouldn't be discussed... because after reading all your comments... i realize how ignorant a majority of the people I play with are.

Do I have a solution? No... but all you Trump bashers... Guess what, he was elected. Deal with it. Us normals had to deal with Obummer for 8 years - deal with it for another 3 (Where upon someone new gets elected)

As for the armed security guard that waited outside... shame on him, he was there for one reason - and he failed.

It is a tragedy, yes. Is there a simple solution, no. Is coming on here just to say "Trump is stupid" useful? no. And for those actually discussing what happened and have used your head, thank you.

IN MY OPINION: These last generations have been raised horribly, Children that have been babysat by the television.... learn from the TV. And lets be honest, most things on the TV are garbage and provide little to no Good substance.
-AND-
Media... it's worldwide now, someone can't fart and it not be widespread and viral within days. The entire world is plugged in so everyone hears about what the media is showing... and lets be honest, violence sells (refer to my point about TV). Good natured news does not. Media/News is extremely bias and is going to milk every violent act for what it's worth.

EDIT: *Gamertag below shows the last game I played... GTAV - /facepalm --- Not going to go out on a shooting spree through, i was raised to value life and took that wooden spoon across my backside if I deserved it.*

Way to show your own maximum ignorance and disqualify yourself from any mature discussion on this topic.

my backside of the head* ftfy

Giving a perfect example of why corporal punishment is so detrimental, at least.

3 minutes ago, KingdomxSouls said:

What is there to agree with or not agree with, and why would you choose basic fundamentals to disagree with if you're not giving a rebuttal to them? 

Of course, I absolutely agree. And the Vegas shooter's family seemed to all be disturbed individuals.

Those are the worst examples you could use. There were never that many massacres in Australia to begin with. As for Britain, LOL, you can be put in jail for a mean Facebook post. Britain's citizens are under the government's thumb. This idea that you can even consider comparing different countries just shows that there are no arguments here. The United States and Britain are so different in culture, policy, and values it's almost laughable to even have the two enter the realm of debate together.

And another thing, there are more guns in Australia now than there were before 1996. And when there was that gun buyback, only a fraction of gun-owners turned theirs in. Good, law-abiding citizens who probably weren't to commit massacres to begin with were the ones giving theirs up, while the majority of gunowners kept theirs. (And when it occurred, the suicide rate spiked, but that's a different issue).

This thread is about video games being responsible for shootings so to pick apart your points would be going off at a tangent. Let's just say we have different points of view.

The Vegas shooter and apparently his family were all disturbed? So how was he allowed to own so many guns and rounds of ammo?

I didn't compare countries I compared reactions to atrocities. It is also very hard to end up in prison here, unlike the States where 1 in 20 people go to prison at some point, the ratio is much higher if you're black. USA has 5% of the worlds population but 75% of the worlds prisoners.

Around 20000 Americans shoot themselves every year.

10 minutes ago, tezgamer said:

This thread is about video games being responsible for shootings so to pick apart your points would be going off at a tangent. Let's just say we have different points of view.

I would be happy to debate this in another thread, then. I really don't think it's a matter of perspective, I think it's more objective than that. We're using absolute terms here.

So how was he allowed to own so many guns and rounds of ammo?

The failure of the Air Force here. He was specifically barred from owning guns because of his past, but because of a mistake on a computer they made, he slipped clean through the cracks.

It is also very hard to end up in prison here, unlike the States where 1 in 20 people go to prison at some point, the ratio is much higher if you're black.

This has been covered so many times by scientists. Criminals have what many scientists call the "warrior gene"/"violence gene" (they sound like troll-ish terms, but a quick research will show you that's what they call it lol) that makes you more prone to acts of violence and less able to rationalize and make better decisions, ergo criminal acts and prison sentences. It is far more prevalent in blacks than whites.

Edited by KingdomxSouls

9 minutes ago, KingdomxSouls said:

I would be happy to debate this in another thread, then. I really don't think it's a matter of perspective, I think it's more objective than that. We're using absolute terms here.

The failure of the Air Force here. He was specifically barred from owning guns because of his past, but because of a mistake on a computer they made, he slipped clean through the cracks.

This has been covered so many times by scientists. Criminals have what many scientists call the "warrior gene"/"violence gene" (they sound like troll-ish terms, but a quick research will show you that's what they call it lol) that makes you more prone to acts of violence and less able to rationalize and make better decisions, ergo criminal acts and prison sentences. It is far more prevalent in blacks than whites.

Wtf is that?

Black people are more prone to violence and are less rational than white people because of a warrior gene?

How many of these mass shootings were done by black people?

I made several points about prison but the one you chose to pick up on was the one about black people that says a lot about you character.

Edited by tezgamer