Anyone else despise collectables?

Tusked-Lattice

Playing on the highest difficulty for a trophy? Fair Enough. 

Playing multiplayer? Alright if the multiplayer is good than it's fun anyway.

Doing random interesting/skill based things is particular levels or situations? Alright why not? Might as well put some actual work into a platinum. 

Collecting random shit like feathers or bits of paper for absolutely no reason just for a trophy? No fuck off. 

I was trying to platinum the last of us which has like 4 different sets of collectables for some reason I managed to get almost everything until I got to a point where I had 34 out of 37 conversation opportunities, completely forgot which ones I don't have when, sat there jumping from chapter to chapter when it dawned on me what the hell am I doing? I've spent a good 15+ hours (Longer than I spent on the story) or so sitting around collecting random garbage just for a trophy and I started to get kind of angry at myself and the creators as it actually started to hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Why do developers do this? To waste our time? What's the defence here?

Some people claim collectables encourage you to explore the world but then why not instead have sidequests or actually make the world interesting or something?

How do you feel about them?

• Like 1

I actually quite like them... if they're well made.

They can actually help you explore the game world and it really helps you feel a sense of achievement if you have some sort of reward by collecting all of them.

Then again, if it starts becoming a grind, then it's no longer fun. But as long as it's "healthy" collectibles, I myself quite enjoy them.

Massive, pointless grinds or online trophies (especially on the PS4), on the other hand? Get that shit away from me.

A game without any collectibles is boring imo. For example, the older CoD games had collectibles, & I enjoy going around & exploring the levels for them (especially if you get rewards for them). ^_^But the newer ones that don't have anything... all you have to do is kill enemies, there's no reason to explore (I feel like I don't get my money out of it). ?

Now I agree some games can go overboard (Assassin's Creed comes to mind), but I rather have too many collectibles than none at all. 

GTA's kind of collectables are bullshit for example. The world map is too fuckin' huge, how am I supposed to find them without a videoguide? They are just too lazy to make a decent post-game so they fill their big world with collectables that will take forever to complete, and it's not just a GTA-thing.

It's as if you choose an extra-hard difficult for an RPG and you simply get the same damage calculation as the regular Hard Mode but you get halved EXP; I like farming, but why should I get halved EXP?

Fortunately I didn't complete so many games with this kind of collectables so I'm still sane, but at the same time I can't really say what make collectables "well made". Maybe there should some kind of information in menus that says that there are still collectables in the area, but if the world is huge it won't change much: videoguide.

Edited by NaRayquaza

If the feathers you mentioned are from Assassins Creed 2, they actually have some meaning to them, you also unlock something other than a trophy.

20 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Why do developers do this?

Some collectables unlock new items, give some background on the environment or characters. Some are there simply to give us something extra to do.

Can't say I despise them, no. You can find a lot of guides nowadays believe it or not which shows you the locations of all these collectables. Imagine how gamers felt years ago when they actually had to search for these things themselves. 

I don't see the point of collecting useless items. Developers should add more to them than just a trophy. However, I have no issues with collectables like for example Blast Shards in inFamous or Clues like in Until Dawn or something similar because it adds something extra to the game, like background information about the characters/story or extra in-game content you can "unlock". 

In the most case yes. If they appear on the map or you can do something to make them to it's ok but not great. 

I'm currently getting all the collectables in hue and that's annoying me cause i have to watch a video to see where they are whilst solving the puzzles again to get them. 

Most games DO give you more reason than just a trophy for collecting them though. Some use them for character upgrades, unlocking extras... 

i like them. What I don’t like is when they’re in a game with no way, post story, to see them on the map. Like the first infamous. Or if there’s no chapter select and/or no tracker on them in the chapter select for non open world games. Effectively making them missable. 

Edited by Elvick_

The music tapes in The Phantom Pain were great collectibles. Too bad they didn't give a trophy, but they did make the game better. It was also great they didn't show on the map, but you could actually hear them play. Actually I'm against collectables showing on map in general. I mean, yeah those animus fragments are terrible and would be impossible without the map, but on the other hand good kind of collectables should have some clues leading to them and preferably be something more than glowing blue orbs. Players wanting everything being displayed on high-res satellite maps and being guided to them with GPS is exactly what brought these low quality collectibles to gaming. I fear people have already gotten used to it.

People talking about useless collectibles that only give you a trophy. Can you even comprehend the time before trophies existed, when all they gave you was a 100% save file?

Personally, I like collectibles. Obviously it's better when they add something in-game and when there are methods in-game for finding and tracking them. But even when that isn't the case I still mostly enjoy collecting them.

If you really don't like them then why not just ignore them? There is no reason that you have to earn those trophies. And if you don't like having incomplete games on your profile, then either play it on a different profile or accept that you have to actually complete the game. In the case of The Last of Us, those collectibles are actually an integral part of the experience so how can you expect to get the platinum trophy without them?

They are the worst.

They artificially extend playtime... anyone with half a brain should see that obvious manipulation at play.

I have a few games I didn't bother to plat because I didn't wanna do the hastle of collectibles. 

2 minutes ago, mekktor said:

If you really don't like them then why not just ignore them? There is no reason that you have to earn those trophies.

False.  The reason is to get the Platinum trophy by attaining all other trophies, and if there is a trophy for collectibles well there is your logical answer. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

1 minute ago, DARKB1KE said:

False.  The reason is to get the Platinum trophy by attaining all other trophies, and if there is a trophy for collectibles well there is your logical answer. 

How deep do you want to go with this? There is no reason you need to get the platinum trophy...

@Tusked-Lattice I found this to be an invaluable resource for TLoU collectables if you still plan on going through with it. The text guide is brilliantly written and colour-coded, and it avoids any drastic spoilers too for those wanting to use it on their first run. There are also videos to go along with it if you prefer visual aid.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/the-last-of-us/200792-last-us-collectibles-guide-shiv-doors-optional-conversations-joke-locations.html

But yeah, I do agree with OP's sentiment regarding collectables in general. The majority of the time it's a nuisance with no tangible in-game reward, but such is the life of a completionist. And if you use a guide for efficiency to avoid multiple playthroughs (because most us have limited time for this hobby), it usually detracts from the story and gameplay especially with a game like TLoU. Some might argue that you need to do 2 playthroughs for the plat anyway, but collectables are generally easier to gather on the easy playthrough.

You know I remember collecting those god damn flags in the first AC game that didn't even have trophies or a reward, just for the 100% :').

Edited by Zolkovo

I’ve been a completionist Item collector in video games long before there were trophies and I have no problem with them at all, in any implementation I’ve come across so far. I think patience in video games is a skill no different than skill in fighting games or skill in first person shooters. People who are frustrated with collectibles don’t have the skill to be patient and persevere through the Item collection. 

21 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

The music tapes in The Phantom Pain were great collectibles. Too bad they didn't give a trophy, but they did make the game better. It was also great they didn't show on the map, but you could actually hear them play. Actually I'm against collectables showing on map in general. I mean, yeah those animus fragments are terrible and would be impossible without the map, but on the other hand good kind of collectables should have some clues leading to them and preferably be something more than glowing blue orbs. Players wanting everything being displayed on high-res satellite maps and being guided to them with GPS is exactly what brought these low quality collectibles to gaming. I fear people have already gotten used to it.

When I beat a game, I already explore as best I can, why would I want to go through again and look for hidden things that I already tried and failed to find? Sure they should have clues to find them, but after you already beat the main game, why shouldn’t they give us a way to find them all easier? Don’t use it if you don’t want to.

People wirh simpleminded black and white views are why things are problematic. There’s a middle ground, and that’s what has become standard in open world collectible design. And games like Uncharted are picking up new standards too, with chapter select keeping a tally on each collectible. Even going further and letting you go into sections within the chapter, rather than need to start all over. Though I think ND should’ve adopted the treasure map idea from Bend and Golden Abyss. Just minus it being DLC, instead an extra to enable that unlocks after beating the game. Better than a glowing bracelet in TLL. 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I’ve been a completionist Item collector in video games long before there were trophies and I have no problem with them at all, in any implementation I’ve come across so far. I think patience in video games is a skill no different than skill in fighting games or skill in first person shooters. People who are frustrated with collectibles don’t have the skill to be patient and persevere through the Item collection. 

I don't really think it has anything to do with patience. You either enjoy it or you don't. If someone hid 200 pebbles all around your town and didn't give you a map, would you be patient enough to go find them all? For a lot of people, collectables in video games is no different because there is no real satisfaction or reward in it for them.

1 minute ago, Zolkovo said:

I don't really think it has anything to do with patience. You either enjoy it or you don't. If someone hid 200 pebbles all around your town and didn't give you a map, would you be patient enough to go find them all? For a lot of people, collectables in video games is no different because there is no real satisfaction or reward in it for them.

I do.

Yup, just like you’re good at FPS or Fighters or you’re not.

I’d love that challenge.

For those of us with the patience skill, collecting everything IS the “real” satisfaction or reward in it for us. 

It completely depends, i'll give some examples when it's bad:

1. When there's a ton of them
  2. when there's close to non/ no tracking
  3. When there's missable collectibles during story, and no way to retrieve them
  4. same as 3. but with no progress being carried over to NG/NG+