Really don't get the hype for these

Recently came back to this and have to say the gameplay is absolute shite and the controls are fucking atrocious! 

I'm now at the bit where you have to follow a guy without being detected. When you blend into a group the black and white vanishes, you get caught. 

How the actual fuck are you supposed to do it!? 

I'm thinking just blast through it get it done as I couldn't care less about the story. The missions are boring and you constantly jump the wrong way when climbing buildings. Don't think I can even be arsed carrying on with it. 

• Like 4

You're a bit late to the party. The controls of the series have evolved greatly since the Ezio games. I was also a bit shocked how clumsy Ezio is revisiting Brotherhood a while back. The ps4 games have some jankiness too, but looking back at all the games, many things got better especially on gameplay side of things.

1 minute ago, mecharobot said:

You're a bit late to the party. The controls of the series have evolved greatly since the Ezio games. I was also a bit shocked how clumsy Ezio is revisiting Brotherhood a while back. The ps4 games have some jankiness too, but looking back at all the games, many things got better especially on gameplay side of things.

Yup. They are just some games I never really took the time to try out. My Bro played 1 and 2 years ago and I thought they looked decent but trying this now I feel I was wrong lol. 

I'm only just a little past finishing sequence 1 and hating it.... 

10 minutes ago, Joker said:

You're playing a game released in 2009. Clunky comes in the packing.

But you're still right with the title. The games are overhyped as fuck and most of them are mediocre to boring. Black Flag was great imo, but I'm a sucker for pirate on pirate action. :eyebrow:

This is the first one I've tried, been trying this part for nearly an hour now. Got on YouTube I know what to do but the stupid twat won't walk at a normal pace! The controls don't tell you how. Wow this game is wank.... I hear the newer ones are alot better but doubt I'll ever bother after this. 

lol I find AC games to be kind of weird, people loved the first one as a PS3 launch title, and people enjoyed the Ezio arc.

After 3 people just stopped caring it seems. Everyone finally twigged that the series will be milked in the same way CoD and that are and the hype died.

Obviously there are always some hardcore fans, but I feel as if people don't really get hyped for AC anymore, it's just that Ubisoft have the marketing budget to make it take up a lot of advertising space and people play it just out of habit. It's like when you watch a TV show and it turns to shit after a few series, but you still keep watching cause of habit, or you feel you invested too much to quit now lol

• Like 4

I admit, AC isn't my favorite series, but I do enjoy most of them (except III, that was boring as hell imo). The controls do get better in the later games, but the Ezio trilogy is still probably my favorite. But I have heard good things about Origins too, so I'll probably be picking that up once the price drops a bit. :hmm: 

You ever played Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines for the PSP? The controls for that were horrible, you had to walk as slow as a snail most of the time or enemies would recognize you in a instant. <_< 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Masamune said:

I admit, AC isn't my favorite series, but I do enjoy most of them (except III, that was boring as hell imo). The controls do get better in the later games, but the Ezio trilogy is still probably my favorite. But I have heard good things about Origins too, so I'll probably be picking that up once the price drops a bit. :hmm: 

You ever played Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines for the PSP? The controls for that were horrible, you had to walk as slow as a snail most of the time or enemies would recognize you in a instant. <_< 

I wish the fucking idiot knew how to walk in this one lol. 

Fuck it I've give up on the game its woeful

1 hour ago, Joker said:

You're playing a game released in 2009. Clunky comes in the packing.

The date of creation has nothing to do with how it performs. There are PLENTY of 32 bit games created over a decade earlier that got analog controls right...and that was the birth of the analog era. There is no excuse for a game released a decade later, and it being a sequel on the same platform at that, to have sloppy controls other than rushing a product to market. The REAL sin is that, as I said earlier, this was a sequel. AC II came out 2 years after the original release...but no surprise there...even the later games (all released on the same game engine for the same platform, mind you) 5, 6 and 7 deep all are clunky to control, abet the later ones are "slightly" better...whether that's because we've become accustomed to how the character is controlled and have adapted to the faults or Ubisoft has graciously tweaked them a bit. 

1 hour ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

I wish the fucking idiot knew how to walk in this one lol. 

Fuck it I've give up on the game its woeful

I'd suggest that you give Black Flag a try...you can ignore the storyline and just sail the seas blowing pirate ships from the water indefinitely. I found that to be the best aspect of ANY of the games...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

The date of creation has nothing to do with how it performs. 

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Those types of games (freerunning, wallclimbing etc.) were a bit clunky compared to now. In general, not just Ubisoft, like say Saboteur. There is pretty much nothing more to say on this subject.

But first and foremost my comment was more a joke than a dry analysis of gaming.

Edited by Joker

On 2/26/2018 at 4:56 PM, Asvinia said:

lol I find AC games to be kind of weird, people loved the first one as a PS3 launch title, and people enjoyed the Ezio arc.

After 3 people just stopped caring it seems. Everyone finally twigged that the series will be milked in the same way CoD and that are and the hype died.

Obviously there are always some hardcore fans, but I feel as if people don't really get hyped for AC anymore, it's just that Ubisoft have the marketing budget to make it take up a lot of advertising space and people play it just out of habit. It's like when you watch a TV show and it turns to shit after a few series, but you still keep watching cause of habit, or you feel you invested too much to quit now lol

That was definitely the perspective a year or two ago but it was a good for Ubisoft to take a break and not pump one out every year. People definitely seem more favourable of Origins than Unity, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I still love AC II but as I said elsewhere, I don't think people playing it now for the first time can appreciate it. It's like how I'm disappointed with Shadow Of The Colossus. No doubt it was amazing back in the day but I didn't play it until 2017. I can see why it would be great when it was released though, which I can also see in Assassin's Creed, Jak and other dated games.

With two of these threads right after another... Is it a thing now to slam AC II or something?

To new players, I'd say just go straight to Assassin's Creed Origins.if you like that one enough, maybe invest in its history.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I still love AC II but as I said elsewhere, I don't think people playing it now for the first time can appreciate it. It's like how I'm disappointed with Shadow Of The Colossus. No doubt it was amazing back in the day but I didn't play it until 2017. I can see why it would be great when it was released though, which I can also see in Assassin's Creed, Jak and other dated games.

With two of these threads right after another... Is it a thing now to slam AC II or something?

To new players, I'd say just go straight to Assassin's Creed Origins.if you like that one enough, maybe invest in its history.

Well I had high expectations for AC2. So I think that's why I was disappointed in it. I don't mean for it to be shitted on. It was just my opinion.

1 minute ago, The Titan said:

Well I had high expectations for AC2. So I think that's why I was disappointed in it. I don't mean for it to be shitted on. It was just my opinion.

And you're entitled to your opinion. Seems like these topics have a tendency to devolve into "amazing"/"awful" poop slinging without anyone actually listening to the other people's opinions.

I hate the internet.

Not the first time I said that this week either.

Anyway yeah new players definitely should curb their enthusiasm. AC II is a game I loved enough to have 100%ed three times now, but it's definitely something that has been improved on by later games and it'll be hard for new players to get into it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I wouldn't say its a thing, just that more gamers than expected think the game is shite. 

Plus venting your opinion on the Internet really helps to pass the time being bored in work. 

4 minutes ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

I wouldn't say its a thing, just that more gamers than expected think the game is shite. 

Plus venting your opinion on the Internet really helps to pass the time being bored in work. 

There's a difference between a game being shite and a game not holding up to current expectations. I'm not saying you should like the game but I'm saying you should look at it as a game that's ten years old. Yes it has flaws, that were improved upon in later installments, but those flaws are way more apparent now than they were back then and it's unfair to hold the fame in such harah light without looking at how old it is.

• Like 3

Opinions vary. My Alltime favourite series is bioshock along with the mp in bioshock 2 being my Alltime favourite mp which is hated by everyone Pretty much. 

It doesn't matter how old it is, I just hated everything about it. Dull boring game, shit gameplay, awful controls..... Just one of those games I'll never get into. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I hate the internet.

I'd say that a lot recently. It could be the greatest place in the universe pretty much, but since people figured out that they can say whatever they want without having to deal with any real consequences they mostly, and sadly, choose to be dicks instead of having a conversation.

And if it's not outright insulting people, it's extreme 'all-in all-out' opinions that leave no room for discussion. We often don't share the same opinion on a lot of games but we can always have a talk about our opinions, eh? I'd love to have that with more people, especially on this site.

J

Edited by Stardew Shelly
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

I first started playing the Ezio trilogy a few weeks ago so I'm not nostalgia biased and I have to say the first AC was objectively shit it felt like a tech demo. The AI was terrible, the combat was terrible the missions were repetitive as fuck, the graphics were bad and everything was brown and bloom. AC 2 on the other hand is a great game, the Italian renaissance setting is fantastic, the missions are enjoyable even though at some point the assassinations feel a bit repetitive, the controls are great and very fluid, I really don't get this "the controls are bad meme" seriously you just hold R1 and move the analog stick how hard is that? The graphics are impressive for its time and still hold up for an open world game, the side missions are a nice addition and all the collectibles and glyphs make sure you still got tons of stuff to do after finishing the main story which takes quite a bit to finish unlike AC 1. So let me ask you this. Are you sure stealth games aren't your thing? If that's the case just say so, don't just make shit up like oh the controls are terrible and the graphics are shit, it's embarrassing. You said Bioshock is your favorite series which imo is pretty mediocre compared to System Shock, its predecessor, but I wouldn't say Bioshock is shit or nitpick stuff I don't like about them, they just aren't my thing, doesn't mean the games are shitty. So let me ask you again? Are you sure stealth games just aren't your thing? ?

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

I first started playing the Ezio trilogy a few weeks ago so I'm not nostalgia biased and I have to say the first AC was objectively shit it felt like a tech demo. The AI was terrible, the combat was terrible the missions were repetitive as fuck, the graphics were bad and everything was brown and bloom. AC 2 on the other hand is a great game, the Italian renaissance setting is fantastic, the missions are enjoyable even though at some point the assassinations feel a bit repetitive, the controls are great and very fluid, I really don't get this "the controls are bad meme" seriously you just hold R1 and move the analog stick how hard is that? The graphics are impressive for its time and still hold up for an open world game, the side missions are a nice addition and all the collectibles and glyphs make sure you still got tons of stuff to do after finishing the main story which takes quite a bit to finish unlike AC 1. So let me ask you this. Are you sure stealth games aren't your thing? If that's the case just say so, don't just make shit up like oh the controls are terrible and the graphics are shit, it's embarrassing. You said Bioshock is your favorite series which imo is pretty mediocre compared to System Shock, its predecessor, but I wouldn't say Bioshock is shit or nitpick stuff I don't like about them, they just aren't my thing, doesn't mean the games are shitty. So let me ask you again? Are you sure stealth games just aren't your thing? 1f644.png

100% sure stealth games are NOT my thing at all. There are a fair few games that will forever sit at 1-5% on my profile, lots of plus titles from way back that I tried not being aware that they were heavily stealth focused at the time. AC3 being among the bunch, thief and dishonoured some more I can think of. 

I was thinking of giving AC2 another try a few weeks back but no part of me wanted to entertain it. There is no denying it has a hell of alot of appeal to tonnes of gamers for sure but it just did nothing for me. When AC3 hit the PS3 for plus years ago I thought I'd give that a go but I was bored as fook after 10 minutes. 

I remember when got the burial at sea dlc for bioshock infinite and found out there was stealth sections. I was RAGING lol. Being my favourite games of all time thought I just got it done.

That's one thing I'm certain of, always have been. I hate stealth games with a passion. Friend of mine loves dishonoured and told me about those trophies that you have to finish the whole game without being seen of killing anyone. They have to be the most boring pointless shit trophies next to RNG. My idea of hell right there. 

And just to be clear I wasn't making anything up. 

• Like 1

AC: ll is one of those games I wish I could forget so I could play it again for the first time. Its an incredible adventure.  Too bad you don't like it. And I can't believe you like the MP in Bioshock 2... I can't think of a game with worse MP right now. The developers should have played it for 5 minutes and realized the game was better without it.