Kill Your Completion - 6

Very little progress made, so yeah.. Hopefully, get more time in today, and post an early review tonight or tomorrow morning. But I did earn a trophy, and drop that completion. By 0.22%. Lol. So far, I've spent more time creating the character I was going to play as, than I have actually playing the game. :/ 

@dertswa687o Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do that on my harder runs, then. 

21 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

So awesome news.  My TV died today and it might take a few days to get a new one.  So I am going to update my playing to Crypt of the Necrodancer. And after that Oddworld as those are the only Vita games I have

Bummer. And just before March Madness begins.  :(

Better get a new one before April, when baseball season begins! 

9 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Yeah, I remember those. I just thought the game was unclear on how and where to find them. Instead of me having to stumble into them eventually, the explanation given about the mechanic should have covered it off the bat.

I pretty much figured that the up and down attacks work the way you're describing. Not sure how I feel about that mechanic though. Guess I'll see how it gels with the setting up of the chain attacks in the long run.

I'll try to keep your advice about upgrading certain skills in mind. :) .

I grabbed the guillotine chop skills for Kanata and that has him mostly doing knock down attacks that give crystals for bonus experience.  It really makes a difference, especially once you start getting the chained fights where you do 2-4 battles in a row and get huge bonuses to experience and gear drops.

But yeah, I agree the game could use to explain some stuff better because I learned a lot just by trying stuff out and seeing what works.  Getting the big chains is a bit tricky to me still and in theory I should be able to do a 100+ chain, but the best I've done is about 60.

20 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I grabbed the guillotine chop skills for Kanata and that has him mostly doing knock down attacks that give crystals for bonus experience.  It really makes a difference, especially once you start getting the chained fights where you do 2-4 battles in a row and get huge bonuses to experience and gear drops.

But yeah, I agree the game could use to explain some stuff better because I learned a lot just by trying stuff out and seeing what works.  Getting the big chains is a bit tricky to me still and in theory I should be able to do a 100+ chain, but the best I've done is about 60.

I've put another hour into it in the meantime. The last "new" thing were those chain fights you talked about. I've yet to "unlock" more skills as that seems to be either tied to story progression or to reaching specific levels. So far I've set a base attack routine that tends to kill all enemies in one turn, unless they're too spread out. Still need to optimize it though, as currently I get more loot than XP out of it. Haven't really been paying attention to the chains yet, but definitely haven't gotten to a 100 :lol:. I tend to start the chains off with one of the casters (usually Mayura), as it's the one that takes the longest to "prepare", wait a few seconds then use Kanata for 2 attacks and the remaining AP I tend to use with Mitsuhide. Basically attacks from all three hit several enemies at the same time.

I think it would've been better, if the game would allow you to see how much AP the individual attacks use up. As in a queue type of way, instead of the attacks going off immediately. It just feels like the game has a somewhat tactical aspect to it, but it collides with the way the combat is set up to be. A bit unfortunate, as it's an interesting game.

21 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I don't think they cropped up until the cave on a regular basis.  But you remember toward the beginning how Kanata saw a crystal and heard the voices of his friends and then after that it no longer glowed?  That was an essence crystal and the leftover from that was a spent one.  After that area you start seeing them around in dungeons.  You hit it with an attack and you have a chance of getting an item and they items you get from those are usually pretty good recovery items.  The dungeons that are hotspots also tend to have a lot more of those around too.

I'm about 10 hours into the game (Chapter 5, lvl ~22)and it took me a while to discover (by accident) that you can smash those crystals :D

The game is fun so far. I got several new characters in a very short time and after trying them all, I decided to use Katana for his AoE skills, Kiriya because he can do a lot of damage to bigger variants, Koharu for her Fire Storm combined with Magic Bullet 3 Tracer and finally Suzaku for her AoE skills, especially with the bomb-like enemies. So far Koharu manages to clear most of the enemies and the other three clear what's left on the field.

So I think I accidentally skipped a day and my third period is going to end on the 17th instead of the 18th like it should(every six days), so I might just not play today and make tomorrow Day #5. Either that or not play tomorrow in honor of St. Patrick. ☘️

I counted properly and got this:

1. March 1-6
  2. March 7-12
  3. March 13-18

But this is my fifth day and it's the 16th. I blame Daylight Savings Time for stealing a day from the year. (And yes, I counted. I know I have played Cyberdimension Neptunia for four days so far!)

Edited by CJ_Mystery

@ladynadiad It's a shame to hear about the Secret of Mana reboot not living up to reasonable expectations of quality, I was looking forward to that but I can definitely wait for a decent deal on it. What I was really looking forward to was Square releasing an update of Mana 3 which English gamers never got a legitimate copy of. Now I'm less enthusiastic. Square might always pull the old double troll anyways and release Secret of Evermore again, which I would be happy not to buy.

I played the first bit of Grand Kingdom and didn't have much luck getting into it. It seemed like an overly convoluted mess, a pretty enough mess with decent music that fits the theme but a mess nonetheless. The story characters don't seem to have any relation to the combat party members. You fight entirely with random joes you buy. I get that you're the commander giving orders but who's that Flint guy? Why isn't he on the field? I actually didn't buy a fighter for my party because I though the fighter in the intro mission was Flint and he was in my party permanently. If none of that makes sense I'll get into specifics after I try giving the game another play tomorrow. I don't dislike the combat system, it's an interesting combination of turn based strategy and button mashy bits.

What I was surprised to find myself coming back to quite a bit was Brawlhalla. It's simple fun and quick action battles are easy to get into and out of. It quickly became my "I don't really know what I want to play now" game which is a good way for even the grindiest of games to eventually find their way onto my completed list. I might have to re-evaluate that :silver: rating I gave it. :)

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mking_63 said:

@ladynadiad It's a shame to hear about the Secret of Mana reboot not living up to reasonable expectations of quality, I was looking forward to that but I can definitely wait for a decent deal on it. What I was really looking forward to was Square releasing an update of Mana 3 which English gamers never got a legitimate copy of. Now I'm less enthusiastic. Square might always pull the old double troll anyways and release Secret of Evermore again, which I would be happy not to buy.

Yeah, the battles seriously are just terrible in quality.  You attack the monster, it takes a couple of seconds before damage registers.  Problem is, the enemies don't seem to have the same delay issues.  I've had problems with characters dying because my heal spell was delayed, but the enemy's damage sure was able to go in before my spell even though I queued it up before the attack came.  In the original that sort of lag only happened if there were more than three monsters on the screen.  Fighting battles seems like such a chore in this game, even in the initial area when you can one shot kill everything.