Kill Your Completion - 6

2 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

@ladynadiad The original version only allowed 4 of each item, not 9.

In my opinion an option to raise the item limit is a bad decision.

Honestly, with how shoddy the combat is, you pretty much need it.  I've had so many wasted spells because of how long it takes enemies to die  Had characters die because my healing was delayed and not the enemy's attacks, etc.  But I did think it was 9, maybe I'm mixing it up with FFA then.

And with a trophy for raising magic levels to 8, I definitely want more faerie walnuts around so I can consistently use magic and not have to save grinding for the sprite's magic until the end, though the girl can be saved for later since it's best to just spam it like crazy in the wind palace anyhow if you want to gain levels quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Honestly, with how shoddy the combat is, you pretty much need it.  I've had so many wasted spells because of how long it takes enemies to die  Had characters die because my healing was delayed and not the enemy's attacks, etc.  But I did think it was 9, maybe I'm mixing it up with FFA then.

And with a trophy for raising magic levels to 8, I definitely want more faerie walnuts around so I can consistently use magic and not have to save grinding for the sprite's magic until the end, though the girl can be saved for later since it's best to just spam it like crazy in the wind palace anyhow if you want to gain levels quickly.

I haven't played the Remaster yet so no clue how neccessary more items are.

Having only 4 in the SNES version made it a bit more challenging.

For grinding reasons it is helpfull to have more recovery items but I think I will play with 4 when I finally start this game.

@PerryToxteth I only watched GoT sporadically and I stopped watching altogether but I'm 99% sure that the characters you play as in the Telltales game are not in the show or the books. Some of the shows major characters are in the game, I noticed that the game characters modelled after real people had a weird, vacant marionette look to them that the characters unique to the game didn't have. See if that helps you guess which characters are from the show and which are just in the game. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

And I also pretty much suck at making decisions. Seems anything I choose to say blows up in my face. Nobody is happy with what I tell them. I even quit and reloaded one part to come away with a different outcome, but no luck. Then I realized, maybe ANY answer is going to be bad, because the game is trying to keep with the TV script and Season 1 is grim. Again, haven't seen the show, but can someone answer me this?

Reveal hidden contents

Does Ethan really die in Season 1? Or do I just make really bad decisions in this game? 

So far the story is pretty good but gets a bit confusing with all the characters and whose house they belong to, or who is at war with whom. And it's really hard trying to figure out the hierarchy of the realm.

There are a lot of points like that in the game, its not about tying in with the TV series, the game skirts around what is shown in TV (it sits around season 3 or 4 or the TV show) but never directly impacts on it, its just its not a fairy tale story where you get happy endings all the time, lots of bad things happen no matter what decisions you make,I don't think you can avoid the event you mention no matter what you do. The lack of happy endings is pretty much the ethos of the whole series.

I can see how the story would be  confusing if you haven't watched the TV series i think they pretty much assume you know the characters from the show, but MKing is right none of the main characters (the Forrester's or the Whitehill's) from the game appear in the TV series.

Lastly i'd highly recommend the TV series, i'd avoided it for years but we binged the whole 7 series in January and i loved very minute, can't wait for season 8. But you'll know very quickly whether you'll like it or not. I played the game right after finishing series 7 & the game was good but not a patch on the TV show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:
  Hide contents

Does Ethan really die in Season 1? Or do I just make really bad decisions in this game? 

Like others have said, it just doesn't really cover the events of the game.  The game focuses on their own characters and makes a side story about a House and how they are effected by the various events going on in the series.  All you need to know the game does tell you.  The main thing is that the situation for House Forester is very tenuous because their enemies are in power now.  The people you play as won't necessarily know everything either and have to make decisions as best as they can with their limited understanding.  What this game does is let you be in the shoes of some people in this harsh world and see how you would fare in it.  I also had never read the books or watched the TV show before playing this game and really enjoyed it.  I think people like us are more likely to enjoy it because we have no expectations.  I admit, I'd be interested in playing the game again now that I have seen up to season 5 in the series because I know I'd make some different choices now that I understand some of the characters better,

• Like 1

@CJ_Mystery - Only reason why I got the PS4 version is because it's the only version with a physical copy.  I prefer a physical copy when I can get one, especially on Vita where I only have a 4GB memory card and some games won't even fit.

I honestly don't recall the delays being quite this bad in the original.  It's to the point that I can't tell what damage was done by which character because it delays so much so it can be quite a bit of time before you catch on that you aren't damaging the monster with a certain type of attack.  Also, it seems you miss a ton more than in the original.  Killing a Nitro Pumpkin was a complete nightmare because it casts wall on itself, you can't remove wall from it and physical attacks nearly always miss.  Now I know removing wall was possible in the original, because I'm following a SNES guide that specifically says to use dispel magic to remove wall as a boss strategy.

Another thing you'll want to watch out for is you can't heal a character under a status effect right away.  You can use cure water, it does heal, but the character's HP won't go up until the status effect wears off.   Of course monsters can keep attacking the affected character and kill them in the meantime.  That is seriously complete BS.

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

And I also pretty much suck at making decisions. Seems anything I choose to say blows up in my face. Nobody is happy with what I tell them. I even quit and reloaded one part to come away with a different outcome, but no luck.

This is one of the reasons why I disliked it the most from all the Telltale games. Even though the choices in all of them don't tend to change the outcome too much. In this one it was like a slap across the face. I still believe that the Game of Thrones one was rushed out of the gate, which also explains the stuttering and performance issues (not as noticeable on the PS4), apart from it still running on an outdated engine.

This game constantly gave me reactions on things I "picked" as a choice that made no sense. Often the choices would say one thing and then when it was outspoken the character said something entirely different. I mean, if it's meant for you to always say something the riles everyone up, then there's not much of a choice really.

PS: Watched the documentary that you suggested to me (The Vietnam War). One of the best docus I've seen!

PSS: Currently watching Ghost Recon WIldands installing. Thought I had already installed it several weeks ago and it also had already downloaded a ton of patches recently. Guess I had to boot up the game for it to install properly :facepalm:..

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Game No. 3

Game of Thrones (Telltales)

Lefac08.png

Trophies Earned: 8/49 ranking

Playing Time: 3 hours

Final Thoughts: Good thing I'm only doing five games this month. Last week was way too busy and I didn't even get to this game until Day 4 of the allotted time.

Let me preface this by stating that I have not seen a single episode of Game of Thrones on HBO, nor have I ever read one of the books from the saga. I have had a few people highly recommend the TV show, I have had a few people tell me it's terrible, and I have had many friends get into it but bow out in the later seasons. I've even had one person tell me "It's a great show if you're into killing and rape." Uh, those aren't my normal leisure time passions but thanks, I guess. :hmm:

I barely had enough time to get three hours into this Telltales game but at least I managed to complete Chapter 1. And I will have to say it's intriguing, though I'm not sold just yet. I'll keep the story to a minimum for spoiler reasons, but the setting is a northern, forested climate with various "houses" which are factions competing against one another. Your house is the Forrester house and your one precious commodity is Ironwood. In the Telltales game, you are a variety of characters in the Forrester house. A lowly but up-and-coming squire, a handmaiden attached to a royal house in a far land, and an adolescent Lord who is similar to an adolescent Edward II (prefers the lute over the sword).

Like any Telltales game, it is completely story-driven and is dialogue-heavy, with you making choices in your character's conversations. The squire options were pretty straight-forward but the handmaiden's were a bit more involved, as she is involved in diplomacy on behalf of her house. It's the typical medieval dialogue so often used in period movies of saying just enough to appease the audience, but not saying too much to reveal your poker hand. The young Earl also has some interesting decisions to make.

And I also pretty much suck at making decisions. Seems anything I choose to say blows up in my face. Nobody is happy with what I tell them. I even quit and reloaded one part to come away with a different outcome, but no luck. Then I realized, maybe ANY answer is going to be bad, because the game is trying to keep with the TV script and Season 1 is grim. Again, haven't seen the show, but can someone answer me this?

Your review is hilarious. I watch this show against my will w my wife. There are 7 seasons. I enjoyed 2 of them. The rest run the gamut between meh and argh!

As for the telltale game, I haven't played, but it sounds like you are describing a House affiliated with the Starks of the North. As a rule of thumb, nothing every goes right, EVER for a Stark or a friend of a Stark. So you probably aren't going to have any luck no matter what choice you make. Have fun! Lol. 

Edited by Jaguargenie
  • Like 1