Kill Your Completion - 6

Fellow KYCers,

Thanks to all who chimed in on Game of Thrones for me! :yay:

It makes much more sense now that this is a separate game that's based in the GOT realm.  I'm guessing if you've seen the show, it must be similar to Shadow of Mordor where the game has new LOTR characters, but old familiar faces make occasional cameos. 

After finding that out, I can now figure out the TV characters pretty easy, and that will probably goad me into trying it out on HBO ( we already have a subscription so my wife can watch "Little Big Things"). It just seems daunting to tackle a 7-8 season series from the start.

Lucky enough though, I've managed to not hear any big spoilers for Game of Thrones. Though I did find out something big happened on a grand staircase. True story, my wife and I were in Dubrovnik, Croatia last summer and I guess much of GOT has been filmed there. We started heading up a large staircase and we come across two guys who are freaking out and pretty much ready pull out their manhood and start whacking off. They were shouting "This is where He-Man killed Skeletor!!!" (I can't remember the real names but you catch my meaning.)  Here's all this fantastic, centuries-old history surrounding them and they are losing their shit over a fictional show. But I get it and kudos to anyone who travels there and spends tourist dollars in one of the neatest cities on the planet!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Fellow KYCers,

Thanks to all who chimed in on Game of Thrones for me! :yay:

It makes much more sense now that this is a separate game that's based in the GOT realm.  I'm guessing if you've seen the show, it must be similar to Shadow of Mordor where the game has new LOTR characters, but old familiar faces make occasional cameos. 

After finding that out, I can now figure out the TV characters pretty easy, and that will probably goad me into trying it out on HBO ( we already have a subscription so my wife can watch "Little Big Things"). It just seems daunting to tackle a 7-8 season series from the start.

Lucky enough though, I've managed to not hear any big spoilers for Game of Thrones. Though I did find out something big happened on a grand staircase. True story, my wife and I were in Dubrovnik, Croatia last summer and I guess much of GOT has been filmed there. We started heading up a large staircase and we come across two guys who are freaking out and pretty much ready pull out their manhood and start whacking off. They were shouting "This is where He-Man killed Skeletor!!!" (I can't remember the real names but you catch my meaning.)  Here's all this fantastic, centuries-old history surrounding them and they are losing their shit over a fictional show. But I get it and kudos to anyone who travels there and spends tourist dollars in one of the neatest cities on the planet!

I don't recall which death this would be.

I've been at he shooting location for the wedding of Daenerys from S1 though, just months after S1 was shown on television. I wouldn't be aware of Game Of Hrones for anoher couple of years though, and the location (Azure Window, on Gozo, a small island next to Malta) was beautiful enough that I wanted to go there just to see it.

People are weird sometimes about their films and shows. I guess these would be the same people that blame The Last Jedi for being too different after blaming The Force Awakens for being too much of the same.

lotr_nerd.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jasondm300 said:

@Hemiak Is that ok if I update the games I play for the rest of the month?  It's hard to play PS3 games when I don't have a TV right now

Nope. Buy a new TV or you're banned from all future events. :shakefist:

Seriously though, go ahead and substitute so you can stay involved man. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Nope. Buy a new TV or you're banned from all future events. :shakefist:

Seriously though, go ahead and substitute so you can stay involved man. 

I'm working through the manufacturer and my credit card to get a replacement.  its a pain in the ass

Anyways, I will start Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception today and tomorrow

22-24: Super Star Wars

25-27: Sky Force Anniversary

28-31: Towerfall Ascension

4 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I found that if you hit an enemy with a weak attack after you hit with a strong attack, they are stunned long enough for you to get another strong attack in, basically stunlocking them, because the damage delay keeps them from attacking briefly. That's the only good thing I can say about this problem.

Won't work too well once you start missing more than you are hitting.  You get that to look forward to once you are further in the game.  Speed up + Moon Energy will be your best friend.

And I guess I'll make one last update, but since this relates to the final boss, putting it behind a spoiler tag,

Spoiler

I never thought it was possible to make the Mana Beast an even more annoying final boss than it already was.  Congrats SquareEnix, you outdid yourself here and made the absolute worst final boss I've seen in a long time.  And to think, they didn't change a thing other than making the graphics prettier.  It's the absolute worst battle because you can barely hit the freaking thing thanks to the awful mechanics in this game.  Even the Speed up + Moon Energy trick I've been using to try and make this bearable isn't working now.  About the only way you can hit the thing is by doing a fully charged attack with Mana Magic + Moon Energy + Speed up and maybe you'll get a crit for just under 800 damage.  Out of well over 10 rounds of this, I only had 1 normal attack connect.

Even years later, I still hold that the Dark Lich is the real final boss.  Screw the Mana Beast, it's a crappy battle and I cannot believe they made it worse.  The Dark Lich was freaking amazing in this game other than my inability to hit him without spamming magic.  And I'll give them that the remastered version of that theme is actually pretty good.  The original is still better, but it's very appropriately creepy for Thanatos.  Here it is if you want a listen:

There's actually a chance I could get the plat for this tonight.  If not, I'll get it pretty soon since all I have left now once I beat the game is grinding magic levels on the sprite, farming for weapon orbs and two pieces of equipment.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 2

@dertswa687o, I am glad to see P4G as your third game. I enjoyed playing the game(especially since you can skip all story whatsoever by the fast forward option and cutscene skips) and fighting through the dungeons and getting more powerful Persona. The quality of life part was a bit tricky but I followed a guide for the Social Links. In my first playthrough, I did miss one Social Link event so I only got it to Level 9 but it wasn't too bad. I also checked a Let's Play for all of the cutscenes I skipped in game so I didn't lose any story information.

Speaking of Persona 5, I just platinumed a game which has a scene where everyone is wearing blank masks and I was thinking "Hey, that is just like Persona 5!" :)

12 minutes ago, mking_63 said:

@ladynadiad Were you playing Secret of Mana on Vita or PS4?

PS4 and with a physical disc.

3 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

The PS4 version seems to not have the problem and damage pops up right away. Unless this was a PC version I was unaware about.

There is a PC version and I can tell you that the PS4 version has the same issues about delayed damage.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

There is a PC version and I can tell you that the PS4 version has the same issues about delayed damage.

Okay, so they were playing on the PC. Good to know. I guess the PC version of every game is the best because it can solve any frame rate issues. :( It's not a big deal to me, I can live with the damage delay although it'll be harder to keep everyone alive.

24 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Okay, so they were playing on the PC. Good to know. I guess the PC version of every game is the best because it can solve any frame rate issues. :( It's not a big deal to me, I can live with the damage delay although it'll be harder to keep everyone alive.

Not necessarily.  PC has some terrible ports that are fine on consoles.  What PC has an advantage in is the fact that fans can create mods and more readily tweak settings.  The PC crowd is also very openly complaining about the game.  Though I'm seeing a lot more complaints about crashing than slowness.

I just decided to check but oh yeah, Q.U.B.E. 2 has been released!

Laa96a8.png

Must've missed it because I was too busy anticipating Kirby Star Allies.

I'll buy it and play it this weekend, making it my sixth game for the event (though I have obtained no trophies in Deus Ex and for now it seems that I won't try it again, so Q.U.B.E. 2 will only be my fifth game to actually impact my completion percentage).

I figured with it being out already, I must've missed @Melanogaster1987 reviewing the game here but they seem to have disappeared after posting their starting stats. So I guess I'll go into the game blind, doesn't matter as I loved the first game and the second one is getting good critic/user reviews so I'm willing to jump in without even checking any gameplay videos or trailers.

P.S. Anyone remotely interested in these games: the director's cut of Q.U.B.E. is on sale for €3 right now and definitely worth it if you enjoy first person puzzle games.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, dizzyshadow said:

Game 6 : Madden 18

So its back for the 29th time, the annual update of the Madden series Surely everyone knows but just in case, this is EA sports American Football franchise (note i'm from the UK so its american football as football is a different game where you actually use your feet). I was a regular player of this series many years ago, but recently i haven't invested much time in it I think Madden 11 was the last one i played at any length.

The main reason i came back this year is i heard they had added a story mode and i was keen to see how story mode could work in a sports game. Called Longshot the story is about 4 hours long and it features Devon Wade (pictured right) and his attempt to get drafted into the NFL. Now this is a great story, it turn the game into pretty much a move inter-spaced with small elements of madden gameplay. This isn't a fairytale story Devon is "longshot" to be drafted and he signs up to a reality show following his progress where he gets help from a former NFL coach. How you play has a impact on the outcome and it not a guaranteed happy ending. I really enjoyed this, so much so that i couldn't go to bed until it was finished (for which i'm paying the price today). If you don't have an interest in the sport this is unlikely to be of that much interest to you, but for anyone with an understanding of the game i'd encourage you to give this a try.

And as a bonus it features the greatest quarterback ever to play the game, and no i don't mean the one on the cover of game and as a double bonus there is a country music theme song, which has been going round in my head all day " he's a long shot, he's a long shot" is pretty much all i can remember. 

Just wanted to say you picked a great lineup for this event!

Hidden Agenda has been on my watch list for awhile. The Flame and the Flood was actually on my game list in a previous KYC event, but sadly, I had to drop it because I realized I'd have no time to play it. 

Like you, I bought Madden on and off for many years. I even have one for the Sega Genesis. It might even be the first installment, I really don't know. The Longshot might prompt me to try this out again. Frankly, the EA micro transactions have really turned me off their games. In this series, they had the MUT team trophies that were a money suck. 

And I can't wait to read you review on Cars 3. I'm looking for a game to give to my son for his birthday. He likes games involving driving and we just played Lego City Undercover. He would spent the time driving, I would spend the time grabbing collectibles. That game really is the Mother of Fetch Quests ( 450 yellow bricks, 300+ characters, 100+ vehicles). Even worse, our save got corrupted halfway through so we had to start all over. :spank:

Anyways, thanks for the great reviews! 

On 3/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, Riq IV said:

I've been at he shooting location for the wedding of Daenerys from S1 though, just months after S1 was shown on television. I wouldn't be aware of Game Of Hrones for anoher couple of years though, and the location (Azure Window, on Gozo, a small island next to Malta) was beautiful enough that I wanted to go there just to see it.

How did you like Malta? It's high on my Must Travel To list. The forts around Valletta look incredible and it fits my travel schedule of "history in the morning, beaches in the afternoon to appease my wife" travel mantra. :)