Kill Your Completion - 6

On 3/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

PS: Watched the documentary that you suggested to me (The Vietnam War). One of the best docus I've seen!

PSS: Currently watching Ghost Recon WIldands installing. Thought I had already installed it several weeks ago and it also had already downloaded a ton of patches recently. Guess I had to boot up the game for it to install properly :facepalm:..

Glad you liked the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns. It's probably his best work, and he's got a prodigious lineup. Americans tend to have a pretty myopic view of history, so it was refreshing to see the other side of the war get to tell their story. 

And when you said Ghost Recon Wildlands is Far Cry 5, it sold me! 

48 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Glad you liked the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns. It's probably his best work, and he's got a prodigious lineup. Americans tend to have a pretty myopic view of history, so it was refreshing to see the other side of the war get to tell their story. 

And when you said Ghost Recon Wildlands is Far Cry 5, it sold me! 

I used to watch a lot of documentaries, but I stopped keeping up with them more and more over the years. I think the last documentary I watched was probably Zeitgeist, which was also very good.

The VIetnam War documentary was great, because it was the most genuine in it's complexity and approach that I've seen so far. No glorification of patriotism, like in so many other pictures. It was as factual and informative as possible, which is what a documentary should be.

Well, Ghost Recon Wildlands sure feels a lot like Far Cry to me. Take over outpost in a tropical mountain area, gather materials/flowers, a map clustered with icons. I mean it basically could be almost any other Ubisoft game to be fair. The main differences so far are that you can fly planes and helicopters, you can't die on an elephant though. Oh and you have to babysit your 3 team mates that are completely inept. Although I guess technically you can eliminate the latter issue by playing online with others.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

How did you like Malta? It's high on my Must Travel To list. The forts around Valletta look incredible and it fits my travel schedule of "history in the morning, beaches in the afternoon to appease my wife" travel mantra. :)

I loved Malta, it's my favourite island of Europe (though it cheats by having a short boat trip to Gozo).

It's nice and small so you can do a lot of different stuff and see most of the island in a week or two. It's got a good climate, relaxed people and lots of history. If you end op going, tell me, I'll have a recommendation or two for stuff to see/do and where to eat.

10 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Game 5, Day 4 (sort of)
Lb398a5.png

On the way there, I ended up having to quit out because the game was getting an update which fixed a few bugs. One of the things I noticed was that now the menu rings shows which character ring you're viewing, removing a rant I had earlier about having trouble equipping weapons to multiple characters. Also, while damage delay still exists for consecutive hits, the damage delay is gone from the initial hit, making the game a little more bearable.

In the original version the character you were on was in the middle of the ring. Did they change that?

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

In the original version the character you were on was in the middle of the ring. Did they change that?

I had that in the PS4 version.  The controls were a bit weird for it though.  You press :square: for your personal ring, and :triangle: for allies' rings and use :triangle: to swap between allies rings.  Still have the up and down to swap rings for that character like in the original.   One thing that was really annoying in this version is if the character is attacking or being attacked, you can't bring up their ring.  Very annoying if the AI decides to attack when you want to do magic.  Not sure if CJ just didn't notice it or if it was fixed in an update and he just downloaded that (PS4 downloads them automatically, Vita requires you to manually check so it's way easier to miss the update on Vita).

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I had that in the PS4 version.  The controls were a bit weird for it though.  You press :square: for your personal ring, and :triangle: for allies' rings and use :triangle: to swap between allies rings.  Still have the up and down to swap rings for that character like in the original.   One thing that was really annoying in this version is if the character is attacking or being attacked, you can't bring up their ring.  Very annoying if the AI decides to attack when you want to do magic.  Not sure if CJ just didn't notice it or if it was fixed in an update and he just downloaded that (PS4 downloads them automatically, Vita requires you to manually check so it's way easier to miss the update on Vita).

That sounds like the conrolls on the SNES. But IIRC you could stil pause while being attacked. That seems a weired change for me.

I didn'T know that Vita isn't downloading automatically. I already checked for the update CJ mentioned and was a bit confused that there was none. Sometimes my PS4 won't start the download automatically :dunno:

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

That sounds like the controls on the SNES. But IIRC you could still pause while being attacked. That seems a weird change for me.

I didn't know that Vita isn't downloading automatically. I already checked for the update CJ mentioned and was a bit confused that there was none. Sometimes my PS4 won't start the download automatically :dunno:

Sorry, I just noticed the update because I was awake at 5 AM when it came in. It just said in the description "fixed some bugs."

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

That sounds like the conrolls on the SNES. But IIRC you could stil pause while being attacked. That seems a weired change for me.

I didn'T know that Vita isn't downloading automatically. I already checked for the update CJ mentioned and was a bit confused that there was none. Sometimes my PS4 won't start the download automatically :dunno:

Oh you can still pause, but like if the sprite is attacking and you want to use magic and you try to open their ring, you can't swap to it, it brings up the girl's and doesn't allow swapping other than to the boy.  So you then have to cancel out and wait for it to finish and try again.  Because of this, it's very useful to put your most used spells on hotkeys since it will just make a sound indicating you can't cast but you can keep pressing until it lets you.

Hmm, maybe it's a settings thing then?  I know I always have to check for updates on my Vita, it doesn't download them automatically.  On my PS4 I popped in the disc and it popped up a message about downloading the update and all my PS4 games with updates have done that.  All two of them, since my PS4 is still pretty new and Secret of Mana was only the 4th game I've played on it.

Well I swapped in Bombing Busters for my next game, I figured since it's still available from ps+ reviewing that would be more of a valuable service and more importantly I felt like playing a crappy Bomberman rip off. :lol: In that regard this game delivers! Powered by Unity? Of course it is. "You think anyone will notice if we rip off the Tetris theme?" Well if the whole game is a rip off why stop at the music. Indeed. Well the games they ripped off were fun so all they had to do was not rip out the fun and the price was right.

Spoilers: This game sucks hard and I would not recommend downloading it, even for free.

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Sorry, I just noticed the update because I was awake at 5 AM when it came in. It just said in the description "fixed some bugs."

It must have beed an update for the Vita version as my PS4 version was on the most recent version.

17 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Oh you can still pause, but like if the sprite is attacking and you want to use magic and you try to open their ring, you can't swap to it, it brings up the girl's and doesn't allow swapping other than to the boy.  So you then have to cancel out and wait for it to finish and try again.  Because of this, it's very useful to put your most used spells on hotkeys since it will just make a sound indicating you can't cast but you can keep pressing until it lets you.

Hmm, maybe it's a settings thing then?  I know I always have to check for updates on my Vita, it doesn't download them automatically.  On my PS4 I popped in the disc and it popped up a message about downloading the update and all my PS4 games with updates have done that.  All two of them, since my PS4 is still pretty new and Secret of Mana was only the 4th game I've played on it.

It mostly happens for games I installed months ago. Games I just have installed or played recently download updates as they should. But I install everything I buy and play it months later. Perherps the systems wants to save space by not adding updates to games you don't play.

5 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

The time I wasted was spent grinding weapons, including a Level 8 Spear. Why did I have a Level 8 Spear? Well, there is a sort of a glitch in the game where if you open a chest that is set and exit the room before it fully opens(you have to make the alert appear but not get frozen a second afterwards) the chest resets. After you beat Wall Face and talk to the king of Pandora, you can find six chests in his bedroom. Two of those contain a Spear Orb and a Sword Orb. If you grab one of those chests and do the glitch, you can get up to Level 7 in Sword or Spear. Then you can get the Mana Sword or ultimate lance from two Spear Orbs you get later in the game. I did not do this with the sword because if you get the Mana Sword, you can never unequip it because it's a spoiler weapon, so I did it with the spear and breezed to the current spot.

I'd recommend doing that with the axe and gloves since you need two orbs in the mana fortress to max those out if you don't abuse the glitch.  Those two were an incredible pain in the butt because the enemies you have to farm for them seemed to rarely drop chests as well.  That will make it much easier for you to finish the guide and get all the weapons then.

And an update for me, seems I ran into a bit of a snag and The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 isn't shipping until Monday, which means at the soonest I'm getting it on Wednesday.  Don't think that is enough of a delay that I'm going to run with my backup.  I'll just deal with less time for that one and play Tokyo Xanadu for a couple of extra days.  Hadn't actually had a chance to start Tokyo Xanadu yet, so that works out decently enough.  But since I finished my other two PS4 games, I can easily keep playing The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 once the event is over.

5 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I'd recommend doing that with the axe and gloves since you need two orbs in the mana fortress to max those out if you don't abuse the glitch.

Where are those set chests, the ones with the axe and glove orbs? I must have missed them or gotten them already. If so, I apologize. I don't mind farming for two of each weapon orb because I ground for all of the Level 9 weapon orbs in the original version. :D

9 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Where are those set chests, the ones with the axe and glove orbs? I must have missed them or gotten them already. If so, I apologize. I don't mind farming for two of each weapon orb because I ground for all of the Level 9 weapon orbs in the original version. :D

Gold Tower and Emperor's Castle for the Axe Orb, Ice Palace and Dark Palace for the Glove Orb.

Trust me on this, most people who were complaining about farming in this game were having a lot of trouble with the second axe or glove orb.  Even using the glitch for just one extra of these so you only have to farm for one likely will save you hours.  The farming wouldn't be half as bad if there wasn't a chance of you losing a rare drop because the game froze before you could leave the room.  Had that happen myself.

Just now, ladynadiad said:

Gold Tower and Emperor's Castle for the Axe Orb, Ice Palace and Dark Palace for the Glove Orb.

Trust me on this, most people who were complaining about farming in this game were having a lot of trouble with the second axe or glove orb.  Even using the glitch for just one extra of these so you only have to farm for one likely will save you hours.  The farming wouldn't be half as bad if there wasn't a chance of you losing a rare drop because the game froze before you could leave the room.  Had that happen myself.

Okay, thanks. I'm at the temple where you fight the second wall boss so when I pick the game back up in around May to revive my completion(like I am murdering it xD) I'll know where to go. And yes, I did mention the game freezing on me twice. When the game freezes so badly that you have to do a cold reboot of your system, it shows that the programmers needed to be replaced. :P

I did accidentally stumble upon a chest with the Bow Orb in the temple where you fight Doom Face, but I didn't realize it until the chest fully opened so I failed to do the glitch there. Meh, c'est la vie.

7 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Okay, thanks. I'm at the temple where you fight the second wall boss so when I pick the game back up in around May to revive my completion(like I am murdering it xD) I'll know where to go. And yes, I did mention the game freezing on me twice. When the game freezes so badly that you have to do a cold reboot of your system, it shows that the programmers needed to be replaced. :P

I did accidentally stumble upon a chest with the Bow Orb in the temple where you fight Doom Face, but I didn't realize it until the chest fully opened so I failed to do the glitch there. Meh, c'est la vie.

This might also help you later on since it lists all the items and where to get them and that includes the weapon orbs.  And what you said about the freezes on Vita makes me kinda glad I was pretty much forced to get the PS4 version due to me preferring physical copies and no physical copy for Vita.  The freezes are annoying on PS4, but they just boot you out of the game and you can start right back up.  But I lost a rare spear orb drop from freezes and it took me a long time to get another. 

And I wouldn't say it was so much the programmers need to be replaced, but the QA team definitely does.  This game never should have made it out of QA with so many glaring bugs still present.

And I think we're all going to need some completion revival time, though at least my completion wasn't too badly murdered yet thanks to finishing 3 of my games.  The first time I did this event I lost a ton of completion

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

And I think we're all going to need some completion revival time, though at least my completion wasn't too badly murdered yet thanks to finishing 3 of my games.  The first time I did this event I lost a ton of completion

Isn't the idea of the event to slay your completion badly? From my record, I'm actually bringing it back. xD

But then again, I did just get through 90% of Claire: Extended Cut and platinumed a couple of games so that could have contributed to it. If I really wanted to kill my completion, I could just earn a trophy on the two ecchi-shounen games I bought in a moment of weakness (it's just Gal*Gun Double Peace and Criminal Girls: Invite Only ;)).

11 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Isn't the idea of the event to slay your completion badly? From my record, I'm actually bringing it back. xD

I lost over 10% in the first event.  Right now I'm sitting at just under 2% lost, probably will be more like 3% before the event ends.