Kill Your Completion - 6

5 hours ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

@Hemiak, is it OK for me to put a game that's not yet been released on my list? Q.U.B.E 2 is due for release on March 13th, and given how much I loved the first Q.U.B.E, I really want to try it straight away. If you want me to stick to games I already have, or if it gets delayed at the last minute, then I think I will put Trials Fusion in the March 13 - 15 spot instead.

2 hours ago, Hemiak said:

That's fine. I've always been ok with people playing stuff they had pre ordered or had already had solid plans to buy. 

Looking through my games with the wife. Will post some in a bit. 

No idea why this happened. VV

Ooooh, Q.U.B.E. 2 finally has a release date? ME TOO, ME TOO! (No relation to the hashtag movement)

I loved the first game, which I played on PS4. If it's €15 or under I will definitely get it day one, and with up to €20 it's still likely I'll buy it right away. If it's higher than that, I will probably wait since I still have some backlog games left and Kirby releases the 16th.

Is Q.U.B.E. 2 still PSVR compatible?

9 hours ago, Jaco said:

@Cool Rick I've only played 2 of those: Knack and Saint's Row. Gat Out of Hell should only take you a few hours, at most, unless you go for the Plat. Super fun and funny DLC, if you're just playing through the story. Knack was fun, too. Both have boring grinds for trophies, but I know that doesn't really bother you. ;)

Thanks. I don't know much about Knack except for the Zero Punctuation review and a few seconds of gameplay for a PS4 - PS4Pro boost mode comparison. I've hear Gat Out Of Hell was mostly just a grind, which I don't like, but it was on PS+ and I enjoyed SR3 and SR4.

And yeah trophies don't bother me :) all I ask for is a main playthrough that entertains or otherwise compels me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I've already set up a schedule so I can spend time with both the games for my Spring Backlog as well as this event each day of this month. I need to rest up for the first day's tasks. ;)

I made it so some of my spring backlog games cross with this event. 

3 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Thanks. I don't know much about Knack except for the Zero Punctuation review and a few seconds of gameplay for a PS4 - PS4Pro boost mode comparison. I've hear Gat Out Of Hell was mostly just a grind, which I don't like, but it was on PS+ and I enjoyed SR3 and SR4.

And yeah trophies don't bother me :) all I ask for is a main playthrough that entertains or otherwise compels me.

I know a couple of us gave Knack fairly positive reviews in the last KYC. I was one. Mking was the other? His opinion went down after the horrible grind, which is probably why I haven't gone back to it. :lol:

Gat is really only a grind if you're a completionist. Basically, for the game to have a Plat, they padded out a 3-4 hour DLC with challenges. :/ Took me about 17 hours to complete, thanks to those. 

I just realised how cool it is that I can't easily find ten PS4 games to start for this event.

My backlog has gotten smaller the past few years, a decent part of this is because of the KYC events forcing me to finally try some games that are not a high priority for me; finishing some, deleting others. There's still a lot of "started but not finished" games in my backlog but overall, the number of games in my backlog has definitely gone down.

So thanks @Hemiak for all these events. We've come a long way since KYC1, which was the first event I joined here, after being on the site for barely a week or two...

I had so many games to choose from for all these events. I may have raged against a fair few games in my reviews, but part of that is because I keep trying PS+ games that might not be up my alley. Win some, lose some.

P.S. once Hemiak has updated the OP, I'll check if any of you have the same games on your lists as me, and I'll try to do those games at the same time. I'm still looking back fondly on KYC2, when everybody tried to pair up their games with others.

14 minutes ago, Jaco said:

I know a couple of us gave Knack fairly positive reviews in the last KYC. I was one. Mking was the other? His opinion went down after the horrible grind, which is probably why I haven't gone back to it. :lol:

Gat is really only a grind if you're a completionist. Basically, for the game to have a Plat, they padded out a 3-4 hour DLC with challenges. :/ Took me about 17 hours to complete, thanks to those. 

It's the problem with the popularity of KYC events, I never manage to read all the reviews :)

I've been told that Gat was already a grind for the main story, in the sense that it's less about unique missions and more about doing a lot of the side-missions like the ones you conquered territories with in SR3.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jaco said:

That is correct. @Cool Rick I would probably be most interested in Wipeout Omega, Mighty No.9 and Uncanny Valley from your list. I would also like to hear what you think about Knack. Not being able to find reviews in a long thread was why I made an index post in the last thread on the first page and why I plan to do the same with this thread.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mking_63 said:

That is correct. @Cool Rick I would probably be most interested in Wipeout Omega, Mighty No.9 and Uncanny Valley from your list. I would also like to hear what you think about Knack. Not being able to find reviews in a long thread was why I made an index post in the last thread on the first page and why I plan to do the same with this thread.

Fair warning: I'm probably not going to enjoy Uncanny Valley, but I still feel like giving it a shot.

Personally I link back to all the final reviews in my last overview post, and in my reviews I use some keywords that make it easy for me to find back my own reviews. Though I was mostly talking about so many people posting reviews that I don't have the time to read through all of them :)

5 hours ago, mking_63 said:

Well after reviewing my available games and trying to narrow it down to 5 games I've decided that I will be doing 10 games for this event. My starting completion rate is 79.40% which is down from 80.12% at the end of the last event. My list of games is as follows:

1. inFamous: Festival of Blood
  2. Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
  3. Brawlhalla
  4. Grand Kingdom
  5. Tokyo Jungle
  6. Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut
  7. Sword Coast Legends
  8. Slain: Back from Hell
  9. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  10. Dungeon Punks

I'll update my post on the first page and use that post as an index of my final reviews like I did with the last event which I thought turned out well enough. Happy gaming everyone and I'll be back tomorrow sometime with some initial impressions of inFamous: Festival of Blood.

I love that game (then again my favourite game of all time is Baldur's Gate...). Such a shame that the console version has hefty performance issues. It also wiped my progress from the 2nd story arc, so not sure how playable it is beyond the main story.

2 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Fair warning: I'm probably not going to enjoy Uncanny Valley, but I still feel like giving it a shot.

Personally I link back to all the final reviews in my last overview post, and in my reviews I use some keywords that make it easy for me to find back my own reviews. Though I was mostly talking about so many people posting reviews that I don't have the time to read through all of them :)

I thought Uncanny Valley was exceptionally meh. It also takes about an hour to finish.

I'll be doing my updates as follows.

!st day preview/expectation

2nd day first impression

4th day progress

6th day final impressions

With that out of the way, I guess I'll dive right into the first update.

Game #1 - Day #1 - Preview

L40d200.png

Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier

I don't really know much about this game. What I know, is that it's an interactive drama (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Life is Strange) with heavy choiice elements like the telltale games. Other than that, it's somehow connected to the Planet of the Apes universe.

The movies were fairly enjoyable to watch, so I'm hoping this one will at least be somewhat interesting.

A disclaimer about my future updates. I tend to avoid details on story in any updates I do, have been doing so for the most part of the KYC events and will continue to do so. This game being very story heavy will have very short updates as a result.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

It's the problem with the popularity of KYC events, I never manage to read all the reviews :)

I've been told that Gat was already a grind for the main story, in the sense that it's less about unique missions and more about doing a lot of the side-missions like the ones you conquered territories with in SR3.

For shame! :P

Hmm.. I'll admit, I don't have the greatest memory. :/ You may have had to do a few side missions to unlock the next story mission, though, as I don't recall there being too many of them. But it didn't really feel like a grind, until after beating the game. 

Actually just made a last minute change on my list on the previous page.  I just remembered The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 comes out this month and the date set right now is March 27th and the LEs tend to arrive a bit early, so it fits perfectly into my last slot.  As much as I did want to try Persona 5, I know I'll want to play The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 the moment it arrives because I loved the first game.  Keeping Persona 5 as a backup in case of a delay on The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2.

21 minutes ago, dizzyshadow said:

The Witch & The Hundred Knight

Good thing you're playing the PS4 version since that fixed the crashing issue the PS3 version had (though PS3 version is very playable and the crashes were preventable), though it looks to have the harder trophy list of the two versions.  Have fun with this one, I really enjoyed it.

4 hours ago, mking_63 said:

I would also like to hear what you think about Knack.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll put in my two cents. Have played through the story and it was an okay platformer, but the only pet peeve I had to grind was the fact that you have to locate all of the hidden chests... and then do multiple playthroughs to get more items from the chests to unlock special forms of Knack you need for trophies. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't keep getting the same gem ten times after you unlocked that form.

I did add it to one of my old accounts(my last account, which has a year of PS Plus on it) and going to see whether I can be bothered to play through all 10+ chapters a zillion times just to get all the forms. Once you get Diamond Knack, the game is supposed to be easy peasy but I never got the 20 diamonds to unlock him after a ton of plays.

39 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Actually just made a last minute change on my list on the previous page.  I just remembered The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 comes out this month and the date set right now is March 27th and the LEs tend to arrive a bit early, so it fits perfectly into my last slot.  As much as I did want to try Persona 5, I know I'll want to play The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 the moment it arrives because I loved the first game.  Keeping Persona 5 as a backup in case of a delay on The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2.

Good thing you're playing the PS4 version since that fixed the crashing issue the PS3 version had (though PS3 version is very playable and the crashes were preventable), though it looks to have the harder trophy list of the two versions.  Have fun with this one, I really enjoyed it.

Being a big Disgaea fan, I was wondering if The Witch and the Hundred Knight was any good. I know the gameplay is far far different but how tough or time-consuming is it? The story seems interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

I'm one of those who played the game on PS3 and, although I experienced very few crashes, the game did freeze right at the end of the last boss' battle :P Still an awesome game though! I can't wait for the sequel :)

27 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Being a big Disgaea fan, I was wondering if The Witch and the Hundred Knight was any good. I know the gameplay is far far different but how tough or time-consuming is it? The story seems interesting.

It does depend on the version you play.  The PS4 version has some trophies for some optional stuff that is supposed to be pretty hard.  The PS3 version isn't a hard plat at all.  40-60 hours to plat the PS3 version, can't really say for sure for the PS4 since the trophy set is very different.  It's an action RPG and really as long as you are careful it's not too hard until you start getting into the bad ending stuff.  If you find normal difficulty too hard, you can swap to easy, which is still a decent challenge.

The story was really good and it was a very refreshing change because you play as a minion of a character who is more a villan than a protag.  Outside of the crashing issues that existed in the PS3 version, one of the main objections was how Metallia acted, and she's who you work for.  She is indeed very abrasive and unlikable at first, but she really grows on you as you get further into the plot and understand her better.

3 minutes ago, Myu said:

I'm one of those who played the game on PS3 and, although I experienced very few crashes, the game did freeze right at the end of the last boss' battle :P Still an awesome game though! I can't wait for the sequel :)

All of my crashes came while trying to farm anima.  During that I realized that saving often seemed to prevent it since it seemed to be related to how long you were in a dungeon.  Since you had the pillars to warp to, wasn't hard to go back to save when you found a pillar and it was a good idea to refresh your gigacals anyhow.  So when I tackled the final boss, I made sure to warp back and save first and then just do the battle.

2 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll put in my two cents. Have played through the story and it was an okay platformer, but the only pet peeve I had to grind was the fact that you have to locate all of the hidden chests... and then do multiple playthroughs to get more items from the chests to unlock special forms of Knack you need for trophies. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't keep getting the same gem ten times after you unlocked that form.

I did add it to one of my old accounts(my last account, which has a year of PS Plus on it) and going to see whether I can be bothered to play through all 10+ chapters a zillion times just to get all the forms. Once you get Diamond Knack, the game is supposed to be easy peasy but I never got the 20 diamonds to unlock him after a ton of plays.

Ya the grind would've been a lot more tolerable if you didn't get duplicate gems. There's some good news at least, you only need 10 diamonds to unlock Diamond Knack iirc.